Legends of the Liber

Cpt_Reaper

Here is the Legends of the Liber, a project for the various creators of DIY Chapters and Warbands to write a piece of fiction about their fellow Liberites' Chapters and Warbands.

Anything else may be discussed here.

Guidelines:

- If the story is based on somebody elses article, the owner of said article must comment on the story and provide relevant feed-back to ensure it meets their Chapter's character.

- Stories will be posted in the short story section with a title denoting it as related to this project. Stories must have correct spelling and grammar. A mimimum of two updates must be posted for proofreading purposes.

- A link to the story must be included in your sig, and posted in this topic.

- Stories must include the chosen Chapter/Warband in a heavy way. Eg the main character in a DeathWatch story must be from the Chapter, the Chapter/Warband must be a major factor of the story as either the enemy force or the "good guys".

- Stories must be a minimum of 1000 words

-Failure will result in the person displaying a FAILURE banner.

Present which Chapter or Warband you wish to enter, and state which Chapter/Warband you will write about. Joint entries can be discussed here. If the Chapter listed is not the Chapter you wish to submit please comment and I shall fix it. Those of you with multiple articles could you present some for those who have yet to complete an article to submit.

Legends of the Liber
11th Company Dark Master Angels of Shadow Wolf Priest Haelaeif
Dark Apostle Thirst Wraiths of Darkness 11th Company Dark Master
Grey Hunter Ydalir Blazing Sons Shinzaren
Shinzaren Sons of Lightning Imperialis_Dominatus
Nine_Breaker Angels of Perdition Ferrata
Battle-Brother Ludovic Reavers of Zeenthar Dark Apostle Thirst
Reyner Ghost Dragons Ferrus Manus
Ecritter Sons of Pyron Ecritter
Imperialis_Dominatus The Calamity Gree
Madwolf Shadowmane Hounds of the Hunt Brule the Spear-Slayer
Gree Eagle Claws Master Gabriel Macleod
The Normish Doom Guard Firenze
Master Gabriel Macleod Angels of the Storm The Normish
Ferrata Imperial Castellans Nine_Breaker
Brule the Spear-Slayer Avenging Lions UltimateJake
UltimateJake Sons of Redemption Madwolf Shadowmane
Wolf Priest Haelaeif The Paladins of Puccina Grey Hunter Ydalir
Ferrus Manus Arctic Lions Reyner
Ace Debonair(not participating) Rift Lords Battle-Brother Ludovic

+start writing tomorrow. Stories due the 17th of March+

Lets say, 3 months for submission? Then we could get some of the Librarium staff to have a look and get it in the Librarium. A collection of the many Chapters (and warbands) of the Liber. An IA article can only say so much about a Chapter.

+note: will flesh this out tomorrow as it is quite late now and I have a game tomorrow+

Yeah, I agree that a story can convey the character of a chapter better than an IA - but the best way is combining both.

3 months is good, I can manage that. It will make for at least a nice short story.

About the exchange thing, I think for that to work the original DIYer and the story-author would still have to work together a lot, since from myself I know there is a lot more about my chapter in my brain than I can put into the IA, even when I come around to rewriting it. I like the idea of writing about another chapter and having its author write about mine, though.

I like this, a lot. It might even be the kind of thing I can pen in my spare time at work or in between rushing around madly trying to get things done. As you do.

In any case, I'm liking this.

The only way I could think of to write about another persons IT/IA would be from the eyes of my own Sons. Actually that'd be kinda cool. If I sound enthusiastic it's because I am, though I am going to call it right now on me not being able to get around to it, which seems to happen a lot to me.

Regardless, it's a great inter-Liber event that can only strengthen both the individual authors and the bonds between them! :)

I love the idea, but I have one suggestion. If someone is going to do a story about someone elses chapter, I say they need to get final approval from the originator of the chapter. Just to keep it pure to the original idea. Know what I mean?

Having an attached, quoted and dated PM from the author giving permission to use their IA/IT for the project would do it pretty well.

A screen capture of the PM itself would be the most 'secure' way, but I doubt anyone would try to plagiarize anyones work on such a small forum for something like this. Not that I haven't seen it happen before, but not for something like this.

Having an attached, quoted and dated PM from the author giving permission to use their IA/IT for the project would do it pretty well.

A screen capture of the PM itself would be the most 'secure' way, but I doubt anyone would try to plagiarize anyones work on such a small forum for something like this. Not that I haven't seen it happen before, but not for something like this.

I'm not so much worried about the permission issue, what I'm really saying is that the chapter's originator should get to approve the final story to make sure it stays true to their vision of the chapter. Because any story could change the whole character of the chapter.

I'm not so much worried about the permission issue, what I'm really saying is that the chapter's originator should get to approve the final story to make sure it stays true to their vision of the chapter. Because any story could change the whole character of the chapter.

But you see permission is the issue. Each of these IA's and IT's posted on the Liber are - to a point - each authors intellectual property. While on an online forum this has limits, we are all fiercely protective of our own ideas and well should be.

Permission to use someone else's IP as the subject of a short story should be the essential first step. It also opens up a dialogue with the author to be able to comment on the progress and catch things before they become a problem.

Really, this is how all collaborations of this sort should be handled. It might seem formal, but it shows both parties the proper respect they deserve and allows the finished product to be of a much higher quality than it could be.

You must have the authors permission to use their IP, it can't work any other way. It's the first step and avoids any future pitfalls. Final approval is a given when permission is given, since the author is already involved.

Wait, I get what you meant when you said it wasn't an issue. Sorry, in a tired ranty mood it seems. Anyway I wrote all that so I may as well post it. :lol:

Yeah, that is why I said they would need to work together quite a lot, to get the look and feel across in the story that the original author of the IA/IT intended.

But I, too, doubt anyone here would blatantly go against an original authors wishes in regards to a story, so I think asking for a screen-capture of PMs is a bit much.

How does this sound?

- Stories will be posted in the short story section with a title denoting it as related to this project.

- If the story is based on somebody elses article then the owner of said article must comment on the story and provide relevant feed-back to ensure it meets the Chapter's character.

- A link to the story must be included in your sig, and posted in this topic.

Reasonable?

interesting idea this...

weighing in on Ydalir and Ecritter's points on permission. for my part, I would say getting permission from the originator to do the story first...then allowing them the chance to review it in final draft, before submission, would be the friendly thing to do...

though I do not have the time to participate myself, I would willingly risk volunteer my chapter to be thrown into the mix of availables (assuming that is allowed in your idea here 11th). it is always interesting to see someone else's idea of your chapter...hell, look at all the comments on the official chapters!

Damn you all. Just when I think I'm going to be clear of the B&C for a while another great idea comes along I get drawn right back in. I'll need time to think about it but I think I might weigh in with this one. Of course this would be a great idea to start work on the Exculpators... Or perhaps throw in the Iron Dragons...

Damn you all to hell...

Archived