Ultramarine Movie Reviews

Xeonic

Spoilar Free Mini Review:

I thought it was okay. A good starting point at least. There are some silly ludicrous moments I won't spoil for anyone else, but I really was hoping the BL would be treated slightly better than mindless bolter fodder. That may be an Abnett trait though, see Traitor General where the small Tanith killteam basically takes out a chaos marine squad in in close combat within four or five pages.

Overall though it was pretty decent, far better than I'd feared but not as good as I'd hoped. The 3d models look fine in action and the movements for the most part are fluid and believable. The voice acting is tolerable to good depending on the character, with nothing too terrible on that front. I haven't had a chance to read the little (hardcover!) graphic novel or check out the bonus features DVD yet though. The tin case is really nice, with an embossed aquila on one side and the Ultramarines logo embossed on the other, albiet the plastic case insert itself follows the recent trend towards making DVD cases it's impossible to get DVDs out of.

Just finished watching it. I thought it was good, definitely a good start for future 40k movies. Ill start with the things i like. The character models were a lot better then what i thought they were going to be based off of the promo pics. One problem with them though is they lacked weight. Space marines weigh a ton and in this movie when they jumped and landed it hardly made a noise, same with walking, same with heavy bolter. Bolters were good, no exploding bullets, but what r u gonna do. Voice acting was pretty solid. Big waste of John Hurt though, so few lines and screen time, plus what was up with his crazy mystical attack thing. A little to quiet for a chaplain. Plot was pretty good as well.

Now the bad things. The setting. Barren planet filled with fog, eh, boring. I get its dark and gritty, but make the alien worlds seem a little more, lively. The Chaos Marines. Huge waste, they never talked, just grunted. These guys are still marines. They are still the best and the brightest warriors in the galaxy. They are veterans compared to even the captain of the ultramarines. In this movie they were just cannon fodder. And i feel like it could use a better soundtrack and a slightly faster pace.

Overall though it was great. Watching marines walk around and talk and fight was awesome. The story was solid and the graphics were good considering the budget.

Suggestions for next film besides fixing the stuff listed above:

More then one planet setting, or at least a more interesting planet.

Throw in some normal humans to show off the huge size and strength of the marines. Where were the chapter serfs and the space ship's crew?

Don't do Marine vs Marine. its cool, we all like chaos, but it makes the fight to even and again does not show off the awesomeness of the marines as well as it could.

Make it a war. Not some one squad quest. You can focus on just one squad and give them a quest, but put it in the context of a larger conflict.

Inquisitors are a great way to throw in some intrigue and humans, just saying.

But great movie, i recommend everyone go and buy it. Its a must for 40k fans and by purchasing it you are supporting them so they can make a second one, hopefully with a bigger budget.

"We march for Macragge! and we shall know no fear!"

Got mine today and I've only gotten time to watch it once so far. I'll post a more thorough commentary once I've seen it a few more times, but for now, in no particular order, here are my thoughts:

- The animation was at least as good as that of the DoW and Space Marine cut-scenes throughout, and in a few points seemed almost real, especially in one particular closeup on Verenor.

- I wish they'd added another 20 minutes or so and done more with the Black Legion. They're not a mindless enemy like Orks or Tyranids and a look into their motives, thoughts, and culture would have been interesting. It would have been nice also if they had displayed tactical knowledge beyond a simple human wave attack.

- Bolters were low and loud. Just about perfect.

- Severus is definitely NOT (as some of my brothers here have suggested - Mega, I'm looking your way) Severus Agemman.

- The film has to take place sometime in the "future" of 40k. The graphic novel describes the Chapter as having fought the Tyranids for millennia, as Tranc indicated, and in the film, the Reclusiam of the 2nd Company's Strike Cruiser has a stained glass window depicting the 2nd Company fighting Tyranids.

- I was under the impression that the Crozius Arcanum was a short staff of office with a disruption field generator in it like a power weapon. Apparently Abnett knows better... :P

Not sure that was Abnett and not the director, but in any case that also ticked me off a quite a little(in my mind it's the most fluff inconsistent part of the movie, or at least it broke my mental image of prior established fluff, I cannot remember a specific instance where a chaplain did anything but bash heads with his crozius in any canon story or BL novel), I didn't want to mention it in my mini review because it's kind of a spoilar.

I sincerely hope that novel authors don't pick up on the amazing AOE crozius and start making it canon, because I personally thought it was the most ridiculous scene in the movie and fueled by pure laziness(or worse, budget constraints) and desire to not want to have to animate a chaplain doing anything useful.

...As I said I was a little hung up on it, my assumptions may be wrong. Who knows, maybe GW approves of the amazing squad killing AOE crozius, but I tend to doubt it.

The eight imperial fists crucified on the shrine door in a chaos star was an exceptionally amazing image though IMO.

On I think ill throw in a little review myself. This Review will have some spoilers so be warned.

I think ill start with the very basics.

Packaging: 10/10

The dvd case had some serious weight to it. The DVDs themselves came in a metal tin with some fantastic artwork on the outside. The hard cover book looked great and seemed to be a quality piece of material. Im not going to comment on the content yet because I haven’t fully read it yet. Both the DVD Tin and the Book came in a thick card board case and then an outer sleeve to hold it all together. Over all it was a fantastic set and it really made me excited for the movie inside.

Fluff: 6/10

Im going to start by saying that I am not an Ultramarines fluff guru so im going to be basing this part of the review off of my knowledge of Space Marines and 40k in general. Over all I think they made a real good effort to stay true to the fluff of the Space Marines but fell short in several areas. If you were new to 40k and had only glanced through the codex before seeing this movie I think you would have thought the fluff was spot on. However when shown to the “seasoned” 40k audience for which this movie was targeting it missed the mark.

First off the movie is centered around a Rookie Space Marine unit which is being led by an Apothecary and a Captain. For some reason the 10 man unit is the only unit onboard the Ultra Marines Strike Cruiser. This Rookie Space Marine unit has never seen combat before which throws the whole concept of Scout Training out the window. If they wanted the unit to be a novice unit then they should have made them scouts on their first mission . Anyway moving on…

The next thing that really kind of bugged me was the complete lack of combat tactics on the Ultramarines part. For starters they walked in a tight U Shaped formation and seemed to be walking just a few feet from the person next to them despite being told to keep a good spread. I blame this image of tightly packed marines moving in a heard on the DoW game and the table top mechanics. I was hoping that the 2 inch rule would have been discount for the movie and that they would have moved more like an actual infantry unit. Anyway when the unit finally makes contact with the enemy the squad is standing on a rickety bridge and is totally exposed. As the firefight ensues they remain exactly where they were on the bridge because they we told to hold that position. I’m sorry but any military unit in past, present, or future would have realize that standing on a decaying bridge with no cover while being fired upon is a poor tactical decision. I certainly would have hoped that any Space Marine worth his weight in power armor would know when and when not to follow orders to the letter. Holding a position does not only mean stand in this exact spot no matter what happens. Another thing that really bugged me with the tactics was the units poor use of light discipline. The apothecary was walking around with the light on his backpack on so they could see the way. In addition to this the flamer marine was continuously discharging his flamer so that he could see around a room. Any person in the military or involved in law enforcement knows that nothing says HERE I AM like a light that is continuously on. On a side note why Space marines would need lights to see their way is beyond me. I thought their helmet had night vision. There are several other things but I think you get the point im trying to make.

Some people have already commented on how the Black Legion marines seemed mindless and were just used as cannon fodder so im not really going to comment on that. Just keep in mind that the black legion marine have the intellect of Tyranids Gaunts.

The next thing that bugged me (and this goes for all action movies) is the seemingly endless supply of ammo. The bolters in the squad fired and fired and fired and never once did I see a magazine change.

Finally the icing on the cake… the pacifist chaplain. When I think of a space marine chaplain I envision pure contagious aggression. I see a figure that not only wants to obliterate the enemy with his own hands but also has the ability to inspire the rest of the combatants to do the same. In this movie the chaplain not only stood idly while other fought but he never once uttered any sense of motivation or guidance. When he finally did something it was some sort of psychic power which was amplified by his crozius. If they were going for a cool factor with this I think they missed a big opportunity. Nothing screams cool like a Chaplain going to town with his power weapon. If they really wanted a psychic power to be used they should have used a librarian.

Graphics/ digital rendering 7/10 (not including animation)

This is kind of a though category because I feel that it was really hit and miss through out the movie. I think they really nailed the close up shots of the Ultra Marines but really fell short with the some other things. First the good stuff. The detail on the faces when the helmets were off was top notch. The Armor looked fantastic up close and you could see they spent a lot of time, money and effort into getting those details right. The exact opposite can be said for the Black Legion Marines. Im not sure if it was just the black armor that hid the detail but when they did show the chaos marine they looked kind of cheesy and rushed. The black legion should have just as much decoration on their armor as the ultra marines… just bearing marks of chaos. The same applies to the demon. It just looked to cartoonist for what it was supposed to be.

The scenery suffers from the same problems as the marines. Some scene we looked fantastic while others really didn’t cut it. The rooms on the Strike Cruiser were rich with architecture and stained glass and yet the landscape which they spent most of the movie walking through set to lacked any sort of imagination. Now don’t get me wrong the dead imperial fists that were nailed to the wall was quite an awesome piece of imagery, I just wish there was more of it.

I think what all of this really boils down to is consistency. I think the movie would have been just as successful if they went with the animation used in the opening video of the DoW games. Instead they really tried to go over the top with the detail on the marines but didn’t have the budget or timetable to do it constantly across the board.

Animation 5/10

Again this is a though category to rate because it suffers for the same problem as the graphics. So much time and money was spent on the animation of the marines when they were being shown up close that they fell short in other places. The facial movements were fantastic and the movements of the power armor looked really great. However when viewed from further away the animation became hit and miss. The marines seemed to jump around as though they had no weight to them. The movements during some of the battle scenes were choppy, rushed, and didn’t really flow that well. Every now and they were able to put together a cool sequence that really worked and looked great but in other times a simple action like swinging a chainsword at a chaos marines head looked like it was their first time attempting animation. Again it lacked consistency.

This might seem petty but the Chapter Banner, which they were carrying around, just really seemed off and unnatural. It looked to stiff like it was a sheet of plywood. Also it caught on fire several times when a demon was near and yet never seemed to take any damage. Again its petty but I thought it should be brought up.

Sound Effects 8/10

The sound effects in this movie were spot on. The low thump of the bolter was exactly how I thought a bolter should sound. The flamer, land speeder, thunder hawk ect all were spot on. Even the echoes when inside and the sound of the wind and hostile environment was good. My only complaint is the sound the Marines made when they walked. Space Marines are 8 foot all super humans wearing an incredibly heavy set of power armor and yet they sounded like they were 150 lbs and wearing sneakers.

Voice acting 8/10

The voice acting in the movie was decent and I think they did a good job with the castings. The only problem is that at times it felt like a script was being read as opposed to a natural flow of a conversation.

Over all Rating 6/10

Conclusion

I think that this movie is a good start and a decent first attempt. I don’t think the budget was high enough for the type of animation that they were shooting for and as a result I think they should have gone with the simpler animation used at the start of the DoW games. If this was they would have been able to correct a lot of the animation and graphics problems that I mentioned earlier. In terms of the story line and the flow of events I think that Dan Abnett did a good job considering that he has never done anything like this before. Keep in mind that he is a comic book writer and a novelist not a screenwriter. I think because of this the action sequences that he is used to writing for his books just go by to quickly on film. I could see his style of writing through out the movie and just didn’t translate well in some places. I also think Abnett is far better at writing Imperial Guard and Inquisition materials. I say this because he does a fantastic job incorporating the “human” element into the characters, which I think space marines are expected not to have. I hope that in the future GW would realize this and allow him to transform a book such as Necropolis into a feature film.

One thing I would like to point out is that they referred to the "fire" as corpusant, which is a real atmospheric effect. The fact that in the movie it seemed to be a reaction to proximity to chaos may be suspect, but it is a real thing that exists that the effect was based on.

What I would have liked is a scene where the chaplain laid into the chaos marines(replace the amazingly fluid action scene when the captain returns with the chaplain spitting hate and you have a good image) and busted some heads. He barely said a line throughout the combat, when I expected him to be bolstering morale or at least spitting out a few one-line litanies.

Spoilars:

Also on the note of fluff, the unit was a 10 man tactical squad, HB and flamer, with attached company apothecary and captain commanding, with a land speeder supporting. The land speeder was apparently crewed by the tactical sergeant and one generic tac marine. What struck me as silly was that they knew they were going into a potentially chaos held strongpoint and though they had at least one thunderhammer aboard the strike cruiser in a reliquary, the captain decided to just take his chainsword, which didn't seem to make any sense to me. I'll admit I have issues with authority, but I'd have jacked it and left my chainsword there with a little note on it that I'd either return it or not be coming back to face the consequences anyway. Afterall some grunt ended up doing basically that and he apparently got a command for it(sergeant?). I could suspend my disbelief on the "12 marines using a strike cruiser" note figuring that it wasn't for twelve marines, it was probably deploying the captain and the newly reinforced squad to join their brother 2nd company marines in some zone, stopping to investigate this Ifists distress call on the way. A captain rejoining his command is for sure worth a strike cruiser IMO.

I think the scene that bothered me most animation wise was the jumping from rock to rock. All very fluid and dynamic but a space marine in full power armor doesn't seem to impact like he has any weight to him and can apparently change direction instantly heedless of mass+velocity.

Marines walking backwards also seemed to be slightly "off" to me. Also altogether IMO too much time was spent on long scenes of climbing stairs with little to no plot advancement. Atmosphere building yes, but a bit silly to me. Also a little niggling is in certain places the standard lack of low level background noise I've come to associate with relatively low budget CG movies, that's very minor though.

As a "proof of concept" the Movie is a stunning success. It has flaws, my biggest problem was that the Chaplain just wasn't a Chaplain, no motivation, no rightous wrath and fiery rhetoric. But the movie proves that the GW ip can be turned into visual media.

Personaly the movie feels more like a tie-in to a computer game, I'll bet good money that the captain involved in the new Space marine computr game will have the name of proteus...

I think with a bit more cash and backing, GW can create a real franchise with proper and expanded movies. Maybe even (dare i speak the hope aloud?) an anime-style series?

Mine arrived last Thursday, watched it yesterdayevening (wasn't home when it arrived).

Graphics are okay, story sometimes made me go ';)', something was off with their movement and with the bolters (shell cases) imo, but overal a decent movie.

I advice the people to FIRST read the small book that comes with the collectors edition before watching the movie. Helps explain some things imo.

Minor spoilers ahead, you've been warned.

The graphic novel definitely explains some things that were brought up in the reviews, such as the strike cruiser for so few marines. Given the budget(which would go a long way to explain the barren planet and limited scenery), I thought the film was pretty good. Sure there were some hard to swallow moments(I think a sternguard squad would have suited the needs of the movie better, with Proteus and Verenor newly joining its ranks from a tactical squad, it would make the killing of hordes of BL more believeable) and the chaplain was a bit of a waste of the concept. Although, the chaplain was virtually alone after seeing almost his entire company killed off by demons and chaos marines, and even the ultramarines were saying that would be enough to put cracks in a marine's resolve. Maybe the chaplain was too mentally and spiritually wounded from the ordeal to be the usual idea of a chaplain. Also, I got the impression that the chaplain's Crozius blast attack was more technology related than a psychic power, since the chaplain later states that "it" as in the Crozius needed more time to recharge. Given that we see special characters with unique wargear all the time, I'm not really opposed to the idea of a chaplain with a prior to unseen unique weapon(or in this case a weapon with a unique attribute), it was just disappointing that we didn't get to see the chaplain cracking skulls.

Just saw the movie today and I have to say it was okay, as a starting point at least.

But I also have to agree with all the critical points made in this thred.

Especially the lacking of tactical sense displayed by the Ultramarines and the lack of physical impact were bugging me and the chaplain not uttering a word? What's up with that?

As for the plot it seemed more like a 20-minute episode of some sitcom or cartoon to me, but again as a starting point for eventuel further movies, I guess it's alright.

What I found pretty cool was the scene, were the empty shells dropped out of the Heavy Bolter and you sawe the one that read KILL THE HERETIC and BOOOOM! everything blows up.

But what bugged me most was Proteus, seriously, the prototype of the yound and hungry hotshot, while the apothecary was the older and wiser mentor-like guy, as well as the captain but then again all those phrases like "You don't know the horrors of war" "You will see death soon enough" etc. just don't seem fit to be uttered by a space marine. Guardsmen could say stuff like that, but a marine? Absolutely no!

I decided to brave it and put it on; was pretty meh. The words "If this had been given a better budget it would be really good." kept coming to mind through the entire thing. Some of it was just pants on head retarded. And some of it was achingly close to exceptional. So, an ok B film.

Just watched it again but this time with my friend who used to be a GW employee and knew nothing of this film. So didn't know what to expect.

What confused him and me most was the fluff parts of the film. Mainly the Captains inexperience, one at being told by the Apothecary that the the weather wasn't natural and two about being stalked. Third, being advised to leave and warn the chapter, but dismissing it. He then mentioned that he lost interest when the cases from the heavy bolter landed on the bridge. Bolters are ceaseless, the only reason the ejection port is on the gun is to eject gas so the damn thing doesn't explode. Neither of us cared if it looks cool, we want to see fluff accuracy :D

The Black Legion. Though splintered now, they are incredibly organised and would have gunned those ultras down with autocannons and heavy bolters. Why they were all zerkers was beyond either of our understanding. You don't even need to see the enemy with those guns, just hold down the trigger and point it at the horizon. The Chaplains lack of zealous encouragement to his brothers in the face of chaos was also confusing. Expected to see John Hurt bashing out some pimp lines but got nothing. What.

The Black Legion. Though splintered now, they are incredibly organised and would have gunned those ultras down with autocannons and heavy bolters. Why they were all zerkers was beyond either of our understanding. You don't even need to see the enemy with those guns, just hold down the trigger and point it at the horizon.

Yeah, I cringe when I read about my favourite Chaos Legion using tactics that make the World Eaters look like tactical geniuses. It's probably another reason why I won't see this movie.

If Abnett needed cannon fodder for the Ultramarines to hack through then why not just have them face cultists or daemons instead of Chaos Astartes? Or just go with Orks or Tyranids for your disposable hordes.

The Chaos Marines. Huge waste, they never talked, just grunted. These guys are still marines. They are still the best and the brightest warriors in the galaxy. They are veterans compared to even the captain of the ultramarines. In this movie they were just cannon fodder.
- I wish they'd added another 20 minutes or so and done more with the Black Legion. They're not a mindless enemy like Orks or Tyranids and a look into their motives, thoughts, and culture would have been interesting. It would have been nice also if they had displayed tactical knowledge beyond a simple human wave attack.

Well, to be honest. I'm not suprised at all. This is GW's method of making the protagonists look cool and awesome throught the codexes from the very start of W40k. And to be *very* honest, I was expecting such thing from the movie about Ultramarines. :)

- I was under the impression that the Crozius Arcanum was a short staff of office with a disruption field generator in it like a power weapon. Apparently Abnett knows better... ;)

Uhm, the Abnett is well-know for being creative and inventive within his work, and this is just another proof of his artistic nature. I'm not saying that he is wrong, just that his inventions doesn't always mesh well with the shared universe.

Btw, the Crozius Arcanum used to be a staff made from an alien relic which contains the neuro-disruptor in the half.

Remember, GW did approve everything, as they were so nervous about putting it on film in the first place that we haven't gotten one til now!

Lol, stamp of GW's approval doesn't equal the plausibility of such idea.

ref. BA&Necrons happy party, Canis Wolfborn etc. etc...

The graphic novel definitely explains some things that were brought up in the reviews, such as the strike cruiser for so few marines.

I haven't read the novel nor seen the movie, but they could take Frigate or Destroyer instead. Marines have more ships than just SC or BB.

WARNING! SPOILERS! Don't read if you haven't seen the movie.

Yeah the black legion was cannon fodder. I agree. But on the other hand the daemon prince wanted to get to Macragge and couldn't do it without the ultramarines surviving in and out of the shrine all the way to the thunderhawk. Could it have been so that part of the daemon prince's plan was to use black legion as a cannon fodder to make his plan more convincing? I don't know much about chaos marines nor their fluff. It's just a theory. :)

I must say that I found the movie to be very bad. Even if the budget was low, even if they did not have much experience - those are not really excuses since arrangements could have been made to make the most out of the money and experience they had (i.e. a 20 minute movie).

1. First of all, if you make a Space Marine movie, at least make them look like they should. You have all the artwork and other references at your disposal, you have no excuses to mess that one up... (and also, when they walk on stone or metal, you don't get the sound of boots...)

2. W40k is an epic universe. The movie's atmosphere conveyed nothing of the W40k feel, it was very depressing (e.g. the fading between the scenes, the ambient music, all the walking up and down the stairs and through the desert, etc.). Not even the fortress was W40k-like: it was made of brick and stones and it had a tiled roof!?! And what's with the hallway suspended over nothing? And what's with the armory on the ship, it looks like a men's locker room!

3. I just could not stand the dialogues between the Space Marines. Constantly challenging authority, being sarcastic, being provocative... This is not how I imagined Space Marines to be. And on top of it all the voice acting tended to over-dramatic most of the time, so in the end those Ultramarines really pissed me off.

4. The newbie Marine knocked away the Daemon Prince with his helmetand thus stunned him long enough for him to hide.

5. Why would you make Space Marines jump over large gaps? It's "unrealistic", it looks dumb, it's hard to animate, it's uninteresting... Make them do cool things they are good at!

6. So the DP was gonna take down Maccragge all by himself?

This movie was just bad. They could have stuck to something simple. Instead they were forced to animate a strange story that could have been told in 30 minutes. I must say I do not quite comprehend how the Games Workshop staff was "overwhelmed" (see testimonials movie) after seeing it.

WARNING! SPOILERS! Don't read if you haven't seen the movie.

Yeah the black legion was cannon fodder. I agree. But on the other hand the daemon prince wanted to get to Macragge and couldn't do it without the ultramarines surviving in and out of the shrine all the way to the thunderhawk. Could it have been so that part of the daemon prince's plan was to use black legion as a cannon fodder to make his plan more convincing? I don't know much about chaos marines nor their fluff. It's just a theory. :devil:

Black Legion aren't mindless barbarians like they were portrayed in this, they would never have agreed to throwing away their lives for a daemon.

This movie was just bad. They could have stuck to something simple. Instead they were forced to animate a strange story that could have been told in 30 minutes. I must say I do not quite comprehend how the Games Workshop staff was "overwhelmed" (see testimonials movie) after seeing it.

It was most likely a marketing thing. "Just say it was the best thing you've ever seen, chaps. Once people see that we liked it, that will imply it's good!"

Watched it round a friends earlier. Better then I was expecting, but to be honest, not brilliant.

A couple truly epic scenes, the foremost being the little section where you see the battle in first person from the captain aiming down the bolt pistol sights.

A few minor issues I had:

SPOILERS, READ AT OWN RISK

Why make Protius the next in the chain of command? There were plenty of more experienced and worthy battle brothers in the squad.

Why did that one bit of high ground seem so much more important in the battle? It was 5 feet behind them but if they had gone there Protius believes they would have lost instantly?

The flamer exploded and wiped out dozens of chaos marines, but merely knocked down the 7 or so loyalists who were standing closer

Why was it Protius' fault the Demon Prince did what it did? Everyone else was fooled as much as he was.

Why call it a "warhammer"? It's a thunderhammer... Everyone who watches the movie but isn't familiar to 40k will think it is all about that damned hammer.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching it. But it could have been so much better, even on the low budget. At least it wasn't orks, like with nearly every flipping 40k release.

Edit:

Favourite line, by the apothecary. *Marine behind them falls over, helmet cracks open and it is shown that half his head is missing*. Apothecary: "Head wound. Fatal".

Really?

I have just bought the collectors edition movie and watched it, now i am new to the warhammer world so i dont want upset people and i am loving the warhammer universe but i didnt think the movie was that good, it was too short and the characters didnt move properly in my eyes, i was expecting it to be more like the Final fantasy movie as far as the cgi went and i agree with other peoples comments, Space Marines just dont die that easily, I am reading the Horus heresy and have read all about the Space Wolves and even Eisenhorn and like i said i love it all but the movie falls short. I hope its not the last movie and i hope they get better and longer, cgi has come a long way but it seems the movie went backwards in tech so to speak, anyway thats just my opinion, dont judge me too harshly for my comments, I still liked it but it could have been better.

The Emperor protects.

Archived