Scout bikers

Artemis360

Used them twice. First time was to tie in 2 deffkoptas. The scouts failed to do anything as usual. Second time I took 5 with 3 AGL against the orks. Bad scatter and too many orks nearby made it both ineffective and lethal to my men. So far, I'd rather have my speeders, bikes, or a baal. Maybe someday when my scouts won't take a dump all over my face every time I use them.

They are one of my favorite kits though. So cool looking. Stupid antennae though. They just look at you to see if you're watching and if you are...they find a way to fall and snap like Eldar limbs.

I agree with Wildfire.

I have 5-6 Fast Attack units I want to use every game (1 Vanguard, 2-3 Attack bike units, 1-2 Land speeder units, Baal Predator) that I can't squeeze in it all much less bikes or scout bikes.

A good friend of mine runs them in a group of 3, with the Sgt wielding a powerfist. If he gets first turn he infiltrates them somewhere within 18 of a juicy tank or transport and then uses their 12" move, and 6" assault to pick off whatever vehicle he chooses. He get 3 str 8 auto-hits because the vehicles have not moved yet. He has never failed to at least put some serious damage on my predator tanks, leave an assault squad walking, or something to that effect. If he does not get first turn, he reserves them and then elects to outflank with the unit hoping to get a chance to slam his powerfist into something on turn 2 or 3. for 95 points it really isn't a bad option if you want to use scout bikes

You can only do that (12"-18") if no LoS to target can be drawn, otherwise he has to deploy via infiltrate MORE than 18" from any enemy unit.

So if you're mate is doing that to you, and his scouts can be seen by your tank, he can't charge that turn as he must deploy over their max move + charge range.

You can only do that (12"-18") if no LoS to target can be drawn, otherwise he has to deploy via infiltrate MORE than 18" from any enemy unit.

So if you're mate is doing that to you, and his scouts can be seen by your tank, he can't charge that turn as he must deploy over their max move + charge range.

Nah he can usually find some sort of cover to allow him to do it, but he doesn't always have the best targets for the charge, but he's generally ok with sacrificing his bikers to blow up my rhino with my death company inside. I can see scout bikers being good doing that against a razor-spam list, too. It is dependent upon terrain, sure, but assuming you've got a decent amount of LOS-blocking terrain it shouldn't be too difficult for anyone to pull off.

I got the models when I returned to the game as I thought on paper they looked wicked. A quick bout of testing on my table made me quickly realise they were very poor - just due to BS3 and if you want to use those frag grenades ... urgh. Rapid firing S6 into rear armor is nice.

In BA's the FA is probably one of its stronger slots. The Baal imo is the best tank in the codex, and while its 145 it doesnt come in that much more than x3 AGL Bikes. Speeders are stronger imo, but obviously more expensive. But I'd just go with normal marines on bikes w/ a AB or an AB squadron - x3 s8 double pen are far superior to the scout bikes.

If you could take more grenade launchers that would be where they have a shout.

I love the models but as they weren't in the old codex I didn't buy any. By the time the new one came along so many units I actually relied on, Veteran Assault and Baal, had been dumped in the Fast Attack section I'll never get a chance to field them. Attacking in Planetstrike might give me a chance (that's the next battle) but scouts on bikes would never survive that kind of maelstrom.

You can also Scout Turbo Boost into position outside of 12"

Nah he can usually find some sort of cover to allow him to do it, but he doesn't always have the best targets for the charge, but he's generally ok with sacrificing his bikers to blow up my rhino with my death company inside. I can see scout bikers being good doing that against a razor-spam list, too. It is dependent upon terrain, sure, but assuming you've got a decent amount of LOS-blocking terrain it shouldn't be too difficult for anyone to pull off.

Thing is, can't a MM attack bike do the same thing and keep itself safer? Obviously they don't get the scout, but they don't need it, either.

Thing is, can't a MM attack bike do the same thing and keep itself safer? Obviously they don't get the scout, but they don't need it, either.

Oops, I completely forgot about scout move. Herpderp.

Well The one time I did use them and they got krumped by a dethrolla the Had been there to provide a Locator beacon for My LRC the only time I will ever Deep strike it and it was only for :cusss and giggles And the LRC came in turn 2 wich was Great BUT then straight away they met their end so Yeah not a DOA list But it did do good however 3 with Grenade launchers a powerfist and a Locator Beacon was not survivable against a Dethrolla. Since then they have Been sidelined and My LR does it thing in the normal mannor.

i know when i played reg space marines i had a mobile detachment of them army which consisted of 10 scout bikers w melta bombs, grenade launchers, teleporter homer, and a land speeder storm with multi melta, and had five scouts inside with shotguns and a power sword, what they did was they all scouted 24 inches then the scouts assaulted with a -ld effect to the enemies and the others popped any tanks that were in the enemies army, plus dreads would deepstrike in and the land speder would prevent reinforcements from the skies, i realise this isint as much of a help for you but hopefuly you guys will be able to think of an idea from reading this ;)

What would be the general concensus on the sergeant's close combat weapon? Powerfist or power weapon?

At the moment mine is simply armed with a melta bomb in the interest of points though with a fist this guy could be something to reckon with.

I seriously think I am the only person that doesnt use any Fast attack in my FOC. I have thought about the scouts, for the beacons as well as the other little fun bits they can do...but the points I could put towards a scoring units drop pod with a beacon for far less. The worst part is I was given about 6 of them still in box for some commission work, and still havnt even tried them out yet! LOLOL

If anyone else has an idea on how to use them besides beacon bait or taking out other infiltrators please speak up!

This isn't an idea that's different from beacon bait, like you asked for, but I've been looking at different ways of doing an Sanguinary Guard army & a couple squads of these guys seems like an idea worth trying. Inferno pistols that land right where you want them sounds like a useful thing. Maybe shooty terminators would work well in that kind of army, too.

Archived