Conversion challenge #5

maverike_prime

Greetings to all. As some of you are undoubtedly aware, I had previously announced a Conversion Challenge that had a huge turn out and there's been a drive to hold another such challenge. Well here it is! Conversion Challenge #5!

I am announcing a new Conversion Challenge! For those of you that have been following the original discussion thread, or saw either of the prior challenges and want to take part in a new challenge, I know what you want to know. Who is the required character?

The character in this challenge will be: Azreal, Grand Master of the Dark Angels

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/300W/f/2010/298/f/5/master_of_the_angels_by_majesticchicken-d31ilp4.jpg

That means for the model to be complete you must represent the following wargear in some form:

1. Frag grenades
  2. krak grenades
  3. bolt pistol
  4. Protector (Artificer armor that gives a 2+ save)
  5. Lion Helm (Provides a 4+ invulnerable Save to Azrael and any unit he joins)
  6. Sword of Secrets (a Master crafted weapon that strikes at S:6)
  7. Lion's Wrath (Master-crafted Combi-plasma gun)

Those are the items that MUST be represented on the finished model.

For those of you who are new to this challenge, and want to know more about it, here is some information. If you have any additional question after reading this information, please post them in this thread: Interested in a conversion challenge?

Rules and Information for the Challenge:

What is this Conversion Challenge?

This conversion Challenge will be a 30 Day challenge where in each participant will create a converted model within the guide lines set down for the challenge. In this challenge, the guide lines are to represent a particular character.

The Challenge is recorded has having started Tuesday the 28th of December, at 12pm eastern time. All entries MUST be submitted prior the end time of January 27th, 12pm eastern time. There will be NO EXCEPTIONS!

Limitation 1:

The final conversion must be able to legally represent the required character. This means you must adhere to the concept of “WYSIWYG” (What You See Is What You Get). If the required character is equipped by Frag and Krak grenades, you MUST models 2 different styles of grenades on the character. Like wise, it is unwise to model something that is difficult to represent something else such as the model having a power fist and counting it has a power sword.

If you choose to model a character with a long cloak, cape or robe that may obscure the final view of some required wargear, you are advised to take work in progress pictures showing the required wargear.

Limitation 2:

The conversion must be appropriate for this forum (Remember, we are on BolterandChainsword.com after all)

Limitation 3:

All submissions should be based on game appropriate bases, in this particular case either a 25mm base or a 40mm base. Try to avoid putting the conversion on bases larger then 40mm.

Limitation 4:

The conversion can NOT make use of any metal bits. Resin conversion bits are fine, and green stuff is fine, but NO METAL parts. You can't take the existing Azreal model, do a head a swap and call it a day for example.

Those are the only limitations.

When is this Challenge?

The Challenge began Tuesday the 28th of December, at 12pm eastern time. The challenge will run until January 27th, 12pm eastern time. By January 27th, 12pm eastern time, ALL entries must be in.

How do I submit my conversion?

Post pics of it. There are several free image hosting services available online including Photobucket and Flickr. You can upload your pictures to those services and then post links to them in a thread on this forum. If you encounter difficulty in getting the pictures uploaded, I encourage you to ask for help. For additional information on taking good pictures of your miniature, We suggest you take a look at the B&C's Photoshop Tutorial: Profession Pics of your Minis.

What do I need to submit?

Pictures. for simplicity sake, I ask that you submit 5 shots of your conversion.

1) Front or head on shot

2) A shot from the left side

3) A Shot from the right side

4) A shot from the back side

5) A 3-view shot from the front-right, or front-left. You're choice.

Here are Examples of Each shot:

head on shot

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/head-on.jpg

The Camera is looking directly at the model and the model is facing right toward the camera.

Left Side shot

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/left-side.jpg

The Camera is looking directly at the model and the model is facing To the left edge of the frame. This helps give the judges a sence of the depth of the model. What may look like a flowing cloak from the front, could be shown to be a flat panel from the side

Back shot

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/back-shot.jpg

The Camera is looking directly at the model and the model is facing directly away from the camera.

Right Side

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/right-side.jpg

The Camera is looking directly at the model and the model is facing To the right edge of the frame. This helps give the judges a sence of the depth of the model. What may look like a flowing cloak from the front, could be shown to be a flat panel from the side.

3-view

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/3-view.jpg

This is the "Damn! Does this guy look hawt!" shot. It also helps give the judges a better sence of the model as a whole.

if the judges need a different shot of your conversion, we will contact you and ask for a specific shot.

Where do I send the pictures?

On this forum. Submit a post in this thread.

What were you saying about the character for this challenge?

Unlike prior challenges where the participants were required to use a particular part in their conversion, this challenge will be a character challenge. Here is how it will work. I have picked a character. Lets say I picked Seth, Chapter Master of the Flesh Tearers. Disregarding the rule that you can only use Seth in Blood Angel armies, you would convert a model to present a different character but that would still use Seth’s rules. Perhaps you want to model a Khorne Lord with the Blazing Axe of Bloody Retribution. So long as the finished model has equipment to represent a 3+ Power armor save, Frag Grenades, Krak grenades, an Iron Halo 4+ Invulnerable Save, and the Blood Reaver you could model a Khorne Lord with the Blazing Axe of Bloody Retribution

What about painting? As already stated, this is a Conversion contest. Not a Golden Daemon or Golden Bolter. You will receive no extra credit for a good paint job. In truth, painting your conversion before we announce the winners will probably hurt your chances at winning as painting tends to hides a conversion.

If you have any questions regarding this Challenge, please post them in this thread: Interested in a conversion challenge? This thread is to be used ONLY for submissions to the challenge.

Check out the prior challenges: Challenge 1 – Kronus’ Torso Challenge 2- Lysanders Body

Challenge 3- Character Challange: Mephiston

Challenge 4- Revamping an Old Model (Run by WarInHaven)

Last note: Remember, this Challenge is about converting a "Counts as Azreal". The objective is to take the rules and stat line for Azreal and create a different character. We're even going to ignore the fact that you can only use Azreal in a Dark Angels Angels army.

• 2 weeks later...

Right then here we go.

As is often said on this forum, apologies for the picture quality, I only have a mobile phone as camera.

Front View

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/Arthur-Wellesley/IMAG0030.jpg

Rear View

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/Arthur-Wellesley/IMAG0032.jpg

Right Side

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/Arthur-Wellesley/IMAG0033.jpg

Left Side

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/Arthur-Wellesley/IMAG0031.jpg

3 Shot

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/Arthur-Wellesley/IMAG0034.jpg

Parts Used:

Head - DA upgrade sprue compilation

Backpack and Banner - DA upgrade sprue

Left Arm - Bits box compilation (bolter, plamsa pistol, bolt pistol ammo clip, random arm with shoulder pad, purity seal and incense brazier from the DA upgrade sprue)

Right Arm - Sanguiniary Guard Arm with power sword (blood drops shaved off), Sanguiniary Guard Shoulder Pad with DA symbol (replacing blood drop)

Torso - Sanguiniary Guard Torso

Legs - DA upgrade sprue "walking forward" legs with torso removed

That means for the model to be complete you must represent the following wargear in some form:

1. Frag grenades

2. krak grenades

3. bolt pistol

4. Protector (Artificer armor that gives a 2+ save)

5. Lion Helm (Provides a 4+ invulnerable Save to Azrael and any unit he joins)

6. Sword of Secrets (a Master crafted weapon that strikes at S:6)

7. Lion's Wrath (Master-crafted Combi-plasma gun)

1. Frag grenades on left hand side waist, placement parallel with backpack vent

2. krak grenades on left hand side waist, placement below left arm

3. bolt pistol on right hand side waist, placement parallel with backpack vent

4. Protector (Artificer armor that gives a 2+ save) his actual armour, in addition cloak has been given "weathered effect" with Chapter symbol on left knee

5. Lion Helm (Provides a 4+ invulnerable Save to Azrael and any unit he joins) His helmet

6. Sword of Secrets (a Master crafted weapon that strikes at S:6) his sword

7. Lion's Wrath (Master-crafted Combi-plasma gun) his gun

Whilst I am aware that the character did not have to be a Dark Angels or Successor chapter it was where my instinct took me, I have made up a Generic CSM equivalent purely from my bitz box but felt he was lacking something, I tried for the weathered effect cloak as I imagine a chapter master would wear a cloak revered to the chapter and that for me is the equivalent of Lion El'Jonson's Calabanite Lion cloak, armour can be replaced, the hide from a legendary beast (with inner lining :P )cannot.

I chose the walking legs from the DA sprue rather than some of the Sanguiniary Guard legs as in my mind a DA (or succesor) chapter master would already know what is going on and not need to rush things and get it wrong, on the other hand he is walking in rather than being static because Space Marines fear nothing and is leading by example.

The Sten style bolter was because I could.

I apologise for rambling on, I wanted to describe why I went for the pose I did and some of the peculiaralities of it, if anyone has any questions on it at all I'll happily answer them in the discussion thread.

Many thanks

Zealot, that's a tough act to follow, a damn fine Azrael you have there.

Presenting my take on Azreal, Keeper of the Truth and Grand Master of the Dark Angels; Brother-Captain Laerza of the Sons of Malice, 7th Company, "Batko's Blacks":

Front View

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/AzraelHobGobFinal001.jpg

Left Side

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/AzraelHobGobFinal003.jpg

Right Side

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/AzraelHobGobFinal008.jpg

Rear view

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/AzraelHobGobFinal005.jpg

The "Wow" Shot

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/GooseVonMoose/AzraelHobGobFinal010.jpg

1. Frag grenades - strapped to his right leg

2. Krak grenades - hanging from his belt on the left side of his belt buckle

3. Bolt pistol - strapped to his left thigh

4. Artificer armour - he's wearing it

5. Lion Helm - the fancy Dark Angel helm he's got on his trophy rack

6. Falx (Sword) of Secrets - his weapon

7. Lion's Wrath - carried by his Hobgoblin servant

Please note: for ease of painting some parts are bluetacked together; his powerpack to his torso, his torso to his legs, his legs to the base. Hope this is okay.

EDIT: Good luck to everyone entering!!!!

Both entries so far look great, but once again, I will not be entering the competition, mostly due to your ridiculous stipulation that no metal pieces are allowed to be used.

Can you give one good reason why you include this stipulation, other than to exclude experienced modellers / collectors?

Great models! I love the use of the termy lord spikes. And everyone has to love goblins.

And Arsenal, as I was told last challenge:

If you have any questions regarding this Challenge, please post them in this thread: Interested in a conversion challenge? This thread is to be used ONLY for submissions to the challenge.

Both entries so far look great, but once again, I will not be entering the competition, mostly due to your ridiculous stipulation that no metal pieces are allowed to be used.

Can you give one good reason why you include this stipulation, other than to exclude experienced modellers / collectors?

Also dude, don't be childish, the rule (while I agree it is a little silly) has not been made to "exclude experienced modellers" that's just ridiculous. I think it's mainly there to make their job simpler and not have to argue about how much of the original metal model can be included etc etc.

I have answered this question, repeatedly, in the commentary and discussion thread. but for sake of simplicity I will repost my answers here:

Answer #1 (most recent):

mainly it's to force people to adapt, but it's also to avoid the endless questions of "What is part of a model?" Say for instance you wanted to use Azrael's sword. Is the sword part of the model or is it separate? I mean the first challenge I did was required part challenge, you had to use a speccific part in the challenge. and someone made the comment to the effect of "If I take the part, submerge it in a mass of green stuff and sculpt a greater daemon around it, does it count as using the required part?"

Answer #2 (Posted on Oct 3, 2010):

Previously, I forbid the use of metal bits in the character driven conversion for the purpose of avoiding the need to make an Allowed list and a Non-allowed list. With the Mephiston challenge, if I hadn't forbid the use of metal parts, then what would be stopping someone from taking the current Mephiston model, cutting out the head, dropping on another one and calling it a say? I this is going to sound a bit rude, but I didn't want to waste my time looking at that sort of entry. Yes I could have said "You can not use the Mephiston model" but then I would have had to define what counted as the Mephiston model. Is it the entire model? Can I use just the sword? What about the plasma pistol? Where would that end? It potentially wouldn't. So it was simpler just to say no metal parts. Plus it adds a heavy dynamic to the challenge.

But it all boils down to this: If you don't like the limitations, you don't have to participate in the challenge.

Answer #3 (posted Oct 3, 2010):

yeah, the first challenge I ran, the one that was a required part and the required part was Chronus' torso, one of the points that was raised that really threw me for a loop was asking about if it counted as using the required part if it was totally covered. I think someone used the idea of take the part, and sculpting a Greater deamon or Dreadnought around it and saying "Hey I used the required part", you didn't say I could have it submerged in a block of putty." It's because of that sort of things I tried to keep the rules explicit, and simple. "No Metal parts" is a lot easier to explain and understand then "Ragnar's Sword may not be used. Ragnars Head may not be used. Ragnar's right shoulder may not be used. Ragnar's Cloak may not be used. Ragnar's body may not be used. Ragnar's Legs may not be used. Ragnars Pistol may not be used" Well, what prevents me taking Lukas' model, cutting off the tips of the lightning claw, and sticking a Plastic Wolf Sword there?

Or taking this Wolf Guard:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2430685_99060101426_40kWolfGuard_445x319.jpg

dremeling out the head, sticking on a Space marine helmeted head and calling it Shrike?

So then excluding certain parts would become:

1. Ragnar's Head
  2. Ragnars sword
  3. Ragnars right arm
  4. Ragnar's Left arm
  5. Ragnar's Left Shoulder pad
  6. Ragnar's Right Shoulder pad
  7. Ragnars Cloak
  8. Ragnar's body
  9. Lukas' body
  10. Lukas' right arm
  11. Lukas' left arm
  12. Lukas Right arm
  13. Lukas Right Plasma Pistol
  14. Wolf Guard With Lightning Claws Right arm
  15. Wolf Guard With Lightning Claws Left arm
  16. Wolf Guard With Lightning Claws Body
  17. Wolf Guard With Lightning Claws Head
  18. Wolf Guard With Lightning Claws legs

Bottom line: I do these challenges for fun and seeing what people can come up with given the limitations. If you don't like my rules, you don't have to participate. But I would ask that you respect my rules and only post actual submissions in the submissions threads and post anything else (Including questions or comments about my rules) in the discussion thread. You don't need to read all of the thread, Just post your question and you'll get answered there. But I DO Request that you respect myself and those who have chosen to participate in this challenge and only post submissions for the challenge in the challenge submission thread and post anything else such as questions or comments in the discussion thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Both entries were impressive. Caboose's power... what is that anyway? Power Hook? Really carries the model. But I gotta say the weird goblin looking thing just seems to make the marine model that much more impressive.

Congrates Caboose!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/winner_05.png

Archived