Ashigaru - basic troops

Ronin - advanced troops

Fast Attack

Kamikaze - Bikes

Bonzai - jetpacks

Heavy Support

Kyudo - Heavy Weapons Team

Oban - Tank Squadron

mostly using actual marine figures........some other figures taken from Infinity and other games

i am using red with orange and gold accents for colors.......heads are all unhelmed and come from IG Catachans........bald, bandana heads and headband heads

made some with rice hats - gotta love green stuff......for small arms instead of pistols i got the kroot pistols......the old time powder pistols or arquebus.......

I am basically using the space wolf book as far as chapter makeup......may base a few characters after other chapters as i would like a character who is a scout as well

close combat weapons used are.....spears from the Dark Elf warriors......and swords from the blood angel figures

as well as sashimono or banners that attach to the backpacks

also using a shinto arch

will be posting pics here soon

love to hear some thoughts

Pending any background issues, I question the use of "Bushido" to represent Dreadnoughts. Bushido would be more appropriate as the warrior cult of the Chapter since it translates along the lines of "the way of the warrior".

I was going through my books on feudal Japan and some Japanese-English dictionaries in order to find a term that might be appropriate as a themed name for dreadnoughts (looking at things like castles, icons of gods, and ancestors) and then it occurred to me that the concept of a dreadnought is antithetical to the code of Bushido. How strong do you intend to stick to the theme? If you're just using the visual thematic elements and applying names, then dreadnoughts wouldn't be inappropriate. If, on the other hand, you intend to apply the concepts of Bushido in the warrior cult and incorporate ritual suicide for failure and the embracing of death in combat, then you might reconsider the inclusion of dreadnoughts.

Also, while there's nothing wrong with the name "Rising Suns", this name has been used before for Chapters themed after feudal Japan. That shouldn't stop you from using the name if you like it, but have you considered alternatives that might be less obvious while be just as derivative of your source of inspiration? Ii Naomasa's "Red Devils", Matsudaira Katamori's "White Tigers" (Byakottai), and the "Blue Dragons" of Aizu-Wakamatsu spring immediately to mind, although there are numerous other emblematic names that could be used.

+EDIT+ I just saw the White Tigers DIY Chapter concept someone recently posted, so you may want to avoid that name if you want a name that is unique to your DIY Chapter (and that assumes that you don't just want to stick with "Rising Suns", which is totally up to you).

Brother Tyler......first thank you for the feedback

The name "The Rising Suns" i am sure has been used many times............its the history behind it that makes me want to use it.....its the honor and the patriotism behind it that makes it the name of my army

As far as Bushido......The way of the warrior........its the code of conduct for samurai......This code is said to have emphasized virtues such as loyalty, honor, obedience, duty, and self-sacrifice.........the dreadnought.........the best warriors get to continue to fight beyond there years as a dreadnought......who better to be the symbol of loyalty, honor, obedience, duty and self sacrifice

As far as the fluff i am open to any help as i am a good designer and painter but horrible writer

If anyone is interested in making this chapter themselves as well and want to help with the fluff........i have a source where i can get the models for this army at roughly 35.00 for 10 troops and thats great considering mixed parts from five different boxes.......send me a reply

As far as the fluff i am open to any help as i am a good designer and painter but horrible writer

Writing is like anything. While some people will have innate talent for some things, the rest of us have to work at it. Just like painting, writing takes practice.

You come up with the ideas and we here in the Liber will do what we can to help you develop those ideas.

That said, if you come up with a bad idea it will be shot, beaten and stabbed repeatedly until dead.

That said, if you come up with a bad idea it will be shot, beaten and stabbed repeatedly until dead.

On behalf of GHY let me add the important bit - bad ideas will be given a typical Liber recpetion, but only so that we can help you improve upon those ideas. <_<

planet: Shinto

climate: cold rainy winters, rainy moderate temperature spring and fall, rainy humid summers.......though rainy all year long...rainy only 50% of the year

Chapter Founder: Takeda Shingen

current Chapter leader: Takeda Kenshin

climate: cold rainy winters, rainy moderate temperature spring and fall, rainy humid summers.......though rainy all year long...rainy only 50% of the year

I have no idea what you're driving at in the bolded section.

...Apart from it rains on Shinto, obviously. ^_^

EDIT: Actually, what I think you're driving at is that it's a temperate climate punctuated by tempestuous and powerful rainstorms, but I could be misunderstanding that whole sentence.

Also, I hate my typos.

And for the record, I just mistyped 'hate'. ;)

Also, I hate my typos.

And for the record, I just mistyped 'hate'. :rolleyes:

It's okay if you want to make headgear out of them, Ace.

It took me several minutes to understand that. :)

Sometimes I wonder if I've taken too many head wounds. Other times I want to wax wrathful and purge my keyboard with fire and fury for deceiving my fingers and allowing me to typo so much.

Does anyone know a good apothecary for making cybernetic brains? I think mine might be a bit faulty. :)

Back on topic, I think I might have actually been right about my interpretation of the Shintonian (Shintonese? Shintonic?) climate. :D

I have no idea what you're driving at in the bolded section.

...Apart from it rains on Shinto, obviously. ;)

EDIT: Actually, what I think you're driving at is that it's a temperate climate punctuated by tempestuous and powerful rainstorms, but I could be misunderstanding that whole sentence.

Also, I hate my typos.

And for the record, I just mistyped 'hate'. :D

i like that better written and understood than what i had........like i said i am a painter not a writer........just took the pics will be posting soon

http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/blackgold/Kenshin.jpg

TAKEDA KENSHIN

Shogun

http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/blackgold/Gozen.jpg

Takeda Gozen

Kazoku

http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/blackgold/Shinobi.jpg

Shinobi

http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/blackgold/tank.jpg

Oban

http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/blackgold/Masamori.jpg

Takeda Masamori

Yamabushi

http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/blackgold/Hiro.jpg

Takeda Hiro

Sohei

http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/blackgold/Ronin.jpg

Ronin

can someone post me a link of a few good finished DIY chapters........so i have a better idea on what i need to do to flesh them out

I'll leave the debate about a female model and the nonstandard figures to others.

To answer your question, you can find plenty of finished Chapters in the Librarium and the Liber Honouros.

as far as the nonstandard models..........when trying to create characters and having just what you can fabricate or what GW makes it is a huge limitation........sometimes nonstandard figures look good.........i am not interested at all in tournaments.....i play for fun when i wish to play...........but mostly am a collector and an artist

I have 7 armies........Chaos Space Marines, Chaos Renegades, Space Wolves, The Rising Suns, Orks, Dark Eldar and Tau

as far as female troops..........i know we have our rule nazis and people who are so stuck on the lore who cant have a little fun or be imaginative........try having some fun sometime.......it really doesnt hurt....i promise

as for why i chose her..........two reasons....movie The Last Samurai was based off some truths.......there was a white man who became a Samurai....second there really were female samurais.....i made both into one

hope that helps

GENESEED

It is not known where the geneseed originated. What is known however that the founder of the chapter is Takeda Shingen. The members of the army almost exclusively come from the planet Shinto. Though some prove honorable and are welcomed into the brotherhood.

how is this

as far as the nonstandard models..........when trying to create characters and having just what you can fabricate or what GW makes it is a huge limitation........sometimes nonstandard figures look good.........i am not interested at all in tournaments.....i play for fun when i wish to play...........but mostly am a collector and an artist

Tell that to some of the master converters out there.

Spend a little time on CoolMini, the PC&A section of this forum, Da WAAAAGH, or Warpshadow and you'll see people doing amazing things with nothing more than either Games Workshop parts or their own scratchbuilds that conform to the art style and fluff of the game.

as far as female troops..........i know we have our rule nazis and people who are so stuck on the lore who cant have a little fun or be imaginative........try having some fun sometime.......it really doesnt hurt....i promise

If you have no respect for nor a desire to adhere to the universe, why operate in it in the first place?

Say that we assume for a moment that I'm violently opposed to female Space Marines (something I don't admit one way or another), I would at least have the fluff on my side because everything the Games Studio has told us to date says that geneseed requires male physiology in order to flourish. Even if that weren't the case, a woman who underwent the changes that are wrought by organs like the biscopea and ossmodula would mean you have a woman who looks like a steroid-laced bodybuilder, not the typical fantasy/sci-fi model figure.

Also, it's a bit arrogant to claim that people who don't agree with you don't like to have fun.

Isnt it a bit arrogant that because someone is trying to do there own thing to automatically shake the book at them and say you can only use GW products.........hell.........I am here because i love the the art and getting the chance to use my creativity

I have no issue taking constructive criticism..........but thats the thing............people are much happier flaming you or being the rule book police

whats truly sad........GW only allows GW models in tournaments........because thats how they make money.........i am not here to praise the all mighty GW...........i am here because i like the game and painting and if i see something that makes it more interesting by tweaking rules or a figure that would work well in replacement of something else then so be it

I was born in 1970.........when i was growing up we played Dungeons and Dragons............classic game...........no matter where you played all groups had there own little conversions on the rules.......as well as Miniatures made by all kinds of companies

Now i am 40 and boy you try and be creative and do your own thing and they throw the book at you...........if we cant be creative then why have a DIY chapter page.......technically we are all going against the lore in here.............GW never said any of this has occured

Geneseed

The Adeptus Mechanicus cultures some more geneseed from the original sample selected using subjects from the planet Shinto. They were then mindwiped and returned to Shinto. They would also supply some equipment (Rhinos, ships, armour) to get them started, with the rest expected to be produced by the new Chapter's Forges, or requisitioned like every other Chapter does. The first chapter Master was Takeda Shingen. The Rising Suns have always recruited on their home planet almost exclusively. Though some prove themseves honorable enough and are brought into the fold.

I'm not sure why you're trying to make this a pissing match, Lakota.

Many people here come from varying backgrounds and degrees of involvement in wargaming and related hobbies. I'm a twenty year veteran of tabletop RPGs, a wargamer for almost as long, a voracious consumer of fantasy and sci-fi literature, and a fan of the Warhammer universes - fantasy and 40k. Other people have even more immersion than I do, while still others have less. My parents were playtesters for one of the oldest RPG systems, so I'm technically second generation gamer.

That doesn't make me any more right or you any more wrong. It's just background noise to the important point, which is this...

What I said to you is that I didn't understand what it was you wanted from this forum if it wasn't the advice, knowledge, and shared appreciation of the fluff elements that define the universe that serves as a setting for this game. That still remains true, since you've apparently chosen to take my honest criticism and questioning as some kind of flame. I guarantee you, if I were to want to flame, it'd be painfully apparent and far more noticeable than the current line of dialogue. Instead, I invited you to explain your intentions and your motivations.

We offer resources generated through the hard work and skull sweat of people who are unpaid volunteers, from the information linked in my signature (the Librarium, the DIY guide, the starmap, and more) to the time that we put into responses and critique. If you want information more in tune with modeling and painting, there are sections of the site dedicated to it. This forum tends to be populated by people who are interested in developing the character of their creations and finding ways to fit them into the cosmos, though you're certainly free to do things as you wish. It's not as if I or anyone else said "No, Lakota, you're a bad man and a puppy dies every time you put up a Marine with boobs."

There are a host of creative craftings that came from this forum, ranging back to the first few years it was in existence and continuing to this day. Look no further than the Liber Honorous and the Librarium's Liber Astartes for examples of everything from simple Chapter writeups to the ambitious alt-universe Heresy of Rogal Dorn.

Buck up, quit feeling sorry for yourself, and get back to work. The only way you're not allowed to post in the forum is if you break the rules a few too many times, regardless of what people might say or think about your ideas.

What I said to you is that I didn't understand what it was you wanted from this forum if it wasn't the advice, knowledge, and shared appreciation of the fluff elements that define the universe that serves as a setting for this game. That still remains true, since you've apparently chosen to take my honest criticism and questioning as some kind of flame. I guarantee you, if I were to want to flame, it'd be painfully apparent and far more noticeable than the current line of dialogue. Instead, I invited you to explain your intentions and your motivations.

as for why i chose her..........two reasons....movie The Last Samurai was based off some truths.......there was a white man who became a Samurai....second there really were female samurais.....i made both into one

hope that helps

If you see i answered why i chose to do that...........i am still working on the fluff and have asked for ideas as far as the fluff

but the pissing match began when continued to admonish my use of non GW products, female troops, you called me arrogant and said "If you have no respect for nor a desire to adhere to the universe, why operate in it in the first place?"

I am far from feeling sorry for myself............I sit here continuing to write the fluff and make my chapter work.

Geneseed

The Adeptus Mechanicus cultures some more geneseed from the original sample selected using subjects from the planet Shinto. They were then mindwiped and returned to Shinto. They would also supply some equipment (Rhinos, ships, armour) to get them started, with the rest expected to be produced by the new Chapter's Forges, or requisitioned like every other Chapter does. The first chapter Master was Takeda Shingen. The Rising Suns have always recruited on their home planet almost exclusively. Though some prove themseves honorable enough and are brought into the fold.

I would love some feedback on this....i know part of it came from the guide to DIYing......but again i stress i am not a writer i am working hard and struggling to make my troops a little more fleshed out then what is painted and on a board

Archived