Chain Fist question

Space_Moron

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section but I will ask anyway. I have a question about how much damage a terminator armed with a Chain Fist can do to an armored vehicle? According to the S.M. codex a Chain Fist acts exactly like a Power Fist (doubling the strength of the attack up to 10) but that is rolls 2d6 for penetration. So am I correct to assume that a Terminator armed with a Chain Fist will cause a Penetration Hit from 10 - 20 points? I am asking because I'm deciding whether to place to Chain Fists in my Terminator Squad or give my Terminator Chaplain a Melta-bomb.

-Dan

Yes, that is how a Chainfist works, and they are better than Meltabombs against vehicles. Not to mention that Terminators shouldn't be able to carry grenades or bombs, but some have gotten the option to do so in the current Codex anyway.

I always use at least 2 chainfists for every 5 termies in a "non blacksmith" squad. Dreads, soulgrinders, landriders. they get ripped to shreads. A few days ago i've played in a tournament, and during 4 games my four chainminators (2 x 5man squad)destroyed the folowing:

- monolith

- furioso librarian

- 2 ironclads

- 2 land riders

- defiler

- 3 leman russ tanks

- hellhound

- 3 rhinos

need I say more? :P

yes thats how chain fists work, giving you 8+2d6 armour penetration against most vehicles (some have special rules or some such). generally considered better then melta bombs as melta bombs will only get 1 attack each.

I always use at least 2 chainfists for every 5 termies in a "non blacksmith" squad. Dreads, soulgrinders, landriders. they get ripped to shreads. A few days ago i've played in a tournament, and during 4 games my four chainminators (2 x 5man squad)destroyed the folowing:

- monolith

- furioso librarian

- 2 ironclads

- 2 land riders

- defiler

- 3 leman russ tanks

- hellhound

- 3 rhinos

need I say more? :)

How did you take down a Monolith with Chainfists? The way Weapon Destroyed results work with them makes glancing a Monolith to death effectively impossible unless your luck is insanely good.

How did you take down a Monolith with Chainfists? The way Weapon Destroyed results work with them makes glancing a Monolith to death effectively impossible unless your luck is insanely good.

Glancing them to death is impossible. You need AP1 or S9+ to kill them.

You can glance them to death if you accumulate enough "weapon destroyed" and "immobalised" results.

Sorry Legatus, but that is impossible.

The one 'weapon' cannot be destroyed, but only takes a -1 to it's attacks.

Granted it can be reduced to where it can't cause damage, but it is still there.

Therefore the Monolith can never be destroyed by glances.

You can glance them to death if you accumulate enough "weapon destroyed" and "immobilised" results.

Sorry Legatus, but that is impossible.

The one 'weapon' cannot be destroyed, but only takes a -1 to it's attacks.

Granted it can be reduced to where it can't cause damage, but it is still there.

Therefore the Monolith can never be destroyed by glances.

Well, that's open for some debate. The only listed weapon that the vehicle carries is the Gauss Flux Arc.

Gauss Flux Arc Projectors: The Flux Arc projectors will fire D6 shots at every enemy unit with a model within 12" of the Monolith. Each 'weapon destroyed' result inflicted on the Monolith reduces the number of shots at each target by -1.
Q: If a vehicle has a weapon with a limited amount of shots, and it has none left, for example a hunter-killer missile that has already been fired, does it count as a weapon that can be destroyed by a Damaged - Weapon Destroyed roll on the Vehicle Damage table? (p61)

A: No. Once a weapon cannot possibly fire again during the battle it is effectively destroyed as far as Damaged - Weapon Destroyed results on the Vehicle Damage table are concerned.

The FAQ indicates to me that once the Flux Arc has recieved 6 Weapon Destroyed results it becomes "destroyed" for the purposes of upgrading "Immoblized" results.

The FAQ indicates to me that once the Flux Arc has recieved 6 Weapon Destroyed results it becomes "destroyed" for the purposes of upgrading "Immoblized" results.

Such was my understanding as well, though I will concede that there's definitely room for argument on the topic.

However, even in that case getting enough glancing hits to destroy a monolith is incredibly difficult. With only a 1/6 chance of glancing with a chainfist and a 2/3 chance of that glance just being a shake/stun you would need very good luck or a lot of attacks to glance a monolith to death.

the flux arc does not have a limited number of shots though. It may fire every turn, even if reduced to assault 0, it may still fire, and it is still there, sure it wont DO anything, but hey, your assult cannon can miss.

Thinking it over, I think I have to agree with you there. It would make sense if the flux arc counted as being destroyed once it was made incapable of firing, but 40k is run by Rules-As-Written, not Rules-That-You-Think-Make-Sense. If the weapon can't be destroyed then a Monolith can never be glanced to death.

the flux arc does not have a limited number of shots though. It may fire every turn, even if reduced to assault 0, it may still fire, and it is still there, sure it wont DO anything, but hey, your assult cannon can miss.

Agreed. And if the rule said "Once a weapon with a limited amount of shots (like a Hunter-Killer missile) cannot ..." then I would agree with you completely. But while the question is asked in relation to one-shot weapons, the answer is phrased as a more general benchmark.

Q: If a vehicle has a weapon with a limited amount of shots, and it has none left, for example a hunter-killer missile that has already been fired, does it count as a weapon that can be destroyed by a Damaged - Weapon Destroyed roll on the Vehicle Damage table? (p61)

A: No. Once a weapon cannot possibly fire again during the battle it is effectively destroyed as far as Damaged - Weapon Destroyed results on the Vehicle Damage table are concerned.

GW's amazing ability to craft clear and concise rules using the english language now leads to the question : If a weapon fires 0 shots in the woods and noone is around to hear it, did it really fire? Maybe they'll get around to FAQing this existential ponderance when they clarify the Smoke/PotMS debate (0^1=0/0+1=1). :tu:

Just for the record... chainfist doubles strength. If carried by a terminator, it means 8, not 10 as the original poster says.

Also remember if you add and multiply, first you multiply and then you add. So for example, (4x2)+1= 9.

Just for the record... chainfist doubles strength. If carried by a terminator, it means 8, not 10 as the original poster says.

Also remember if you add and multiply, first you multiply and then you add. So for example, (4x2)+1= 9.

Right, but the stated range is 10-20. 8+2d6 = minimum 10 (8+2), maximum 20 (8+12). :confused:

Archived