Alpha Legion WIP

AlanofAngels

Hey guys. I'm a bit of a lurker at the BnC, but think its time to start my own WIP to keep me motivated. I have been wanting to create a chaos army for some time, so I figured Christmas was as good a time as any. The army should be done by Gamesday and I am hoping to enter it into Armies on Parade. This might be hard because of school, but I think I can do it! Anywho, these guys are scaled up with a 1mm plasticard strip put in their thighs, on top of being mounted on the cork bases; should give them that imposing height. I also added suppressors to their pistols, and will be doing the same to the bolter armed marines. C&C Welcome!!!

Marine #1

gallery_47732_5586_182871.jpg

gallery_47732_5586_658645.jpg

Marine #2

gallery_47732_5586_146530.jpg

gallery_47732_5586_28203.jpg

Marine #3 (Darth Vader decided to show up!)

gallery_47732_5586_558483.jpg

gallery_47732_5586_857576.jpg

Group Photo :tu:

gallery_47732_5586_496200.jpg

Also, I thought I would throw in a WIP of my Khârn "counts as." He stands a solid 1-2mm taller than the rest; mI will do a side by side when he is done.

gallery_47732_5586_485605.jpg

Nice painting AlanofAngels. I was going to comment on them being very dark, but if you are painting to the fluff, then it would be a moot point. I think that a couple of highlights on carefully picked points would brighten up the whole army just a little.

Finished Khârn! He came out pretty well IMO. The legs were a pain in the ass to get to fit without calling upon my green-fu skills (or lack thereof). Also, if you can tell, there is a free hand hydra on his right shin.

gallery_47732_5586_947691.jpg

gallery_47732_5586_1010407.jpg

gallery_47732_5586_367622.jpg

gallery_47732_5586_32367.jpg

And as promised, a side by side with one of my regular fellas (who are also scaled up). The main difference in height comes from Khârn's legs being more extended versus the bent legs of the regular marines.

gallery_47732_5586_627382.jpg

Now I am gonna have to fix up another couple of marines. I'll be sure to throw up a few pics of them before I slap any paint on em'. Feeling kinda lazy, so optimistically they'll be done in another couple days. Thanks for looking! And of course, C&C welcome!

Okee dokee. Got a couple more guys assembled and ready for a good healthy primin'.

gallery_47732_5586_122383.jpg

There appears to be someone hunting fallen in the background...

gallery_47732_5586_423009.jpg

I'll be sure to throw another couple shots up once they look halfway done-ish. Let me know if ya have any questions, C&C etc!

I have since updated my Khârn and thought I would toss it up here. I added the green scales on his left shin (which turn to blue as it wraps around the back of his leg) and the green Khorne symbol on his belly. The symbol is still kind of up in the air in my mind so please tell me what yall think! Have I commited heresy on the heretics by making a green Khorne symbol?

gallery_47732_5586_316752.jpg

gallery_47732_5586_357635.jpg

gallery_47732_5586_63568.jpg

gallery_47732_5586_922388.jpg

C&C Please!

your painting is really nice but its a little plain in my personal opinion.the scales and markings are a start but id recommend some highlights on the armor, perhaps a green of some kind considering they are alpha legion. furthermore i never really got the point of silencers on a bolter, i mean the bullets are just going to explode anyway, but to each his own. keep up the good work!

Sharp! I love your painting so far. Looking forward to seeing more, especially of Khârn. Really digging the axe and the snake scales. And for what it's worth, the only good Khorne graphic they have in the Blood Bowl computer game is green. And I gotta try the leg buffs you do when I get my hands on some plastic card. I'm a fan of truescaling even though I never did it myself, and I think this makes a nice cheap and easy alternative for when you wanna give them that height boost without much fuss.

Thanks for all of the replies you guys! I agree that they look a little plain, but that is the name of the game for alpha legion IMO. As for adding scales to more of the models, it is kind of up in the air in my eyes. On one hand, that could look cool, but also look maybe a bit over the top and detract from the ones on my HQ (not as big a deal if he has em when everyone does). I was thinking about making the scales a mark of rank. What do you guys think?

Personally I'd be a tad against showing any mark of rank on Alpha Legion, since they focus a lot on misdirection and misinformation. Point in case, I saw an Alpha Legion Termie command squad where the player bought 6 Termie Lord boxes and used the exact same bits on each model.

Ok, just posting this to prove to myself and others I actually did do something today. Painted some blue and silver... obviously a LONG way to go on these two, but the bascoating is pretty much done I'de say.

gallery_47732_5586_78668.jpg

And rotate please...

gallery_47732_5586_84594.jpg

I have to go somewhere tomorrow, so who knows what I will get done. I will be sure to post my progress though. Beam me up Scotty!

Crisp and clean painting and conversions that blend very well with the models.

I think using scales to indicate rank would be a good idea and also liven up the models a bit. Personally I would love to see some weathering or other details to add a bit more life to the models. Or maybe some terrormarkings?

Keep up the good work!

I realy like them. The green khorne symbole is not my thing, not because its green but you chose this cold efficent style Alphas, so in my opinion any sign of fanatisms feels not right. I dont think their are too plain. They look like they are. I also think that to choose suppressors is perfect, I woud do the same.

By the way what are these red suppressors ?

Do you will mix bolters and pistols / chainswords in one squad ?

Keep up the nice work !

Thanks guys! In response to Batu's questions, the suppressors are made from somethings everyone should have- cotton swabs! All you do is cut the middle, holding portion, to the size of silencer and stick it on. The type I use are hollow as well, so there is no drilling. I saw someone else on the forum use them and they seemed like an excellent way to achieve a simple effect. As for the bolter/ bolt pistols & chainswords question, the squad I am working on now are actually my "berserkers"; in my list I also have some regular CSM and PM who will all have bolters.

Been busy today; between getting my blood drawn, feeling sleepy (perhaps due to the previous), and watching Curb Your Enthusiasm seasons, I have gotten little done. But, thank god for small mercies; namely the citadel washes:

gallery_47732_5586_668787.jpg

Only the one on the right has been washed, but it only takes a few minutes. Next up is highlighting and then small things and the main bits are done. Depending on how late I wake up, I may be able to finish these two by tomorrow. Otherwise, certainly by this weekend. Thanks for looking!

Archived