IA: Fists of Vengeance

ringlancer

[b; background-image:url(http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/hq2.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 8px 2px; padding: 12px 8px 12px 8px; border: 1px solid #DDD; margin-left: 0 auto; text-align: left; color: #fff; text-indent:50px; font-size:130%; width:50%;"> FLAMES OF THE EMPEROR: The Fists of Vengeance[/b]

For my family, I wept. For my crown, I bled. For my Emperor, I burn. – Bertrand, 1st Chapter Master of the Fists of Vengeance

sm.php?b62c=@i6yHz_haLvy.iakk7@@@@_@@hHIE8@.@@_.@@@@@@@@@@@@_@___________hyvFnhozqS@@@_@@@@@@@@@_.&grid=TRUE
Fists of Vengeance Marine

Verily, trust not in the apparent demise of the greenskin. Though they may be brought low with arrow, mace, axe or lance, it is only with fire that truly cleanses the land of the ork’s filth. - Tenet of Fire, Psalm CCXXXVIII, attributed to King Ambrosius, 1st King of Arden

The Fists of Vengeance were founded in the 32nd Millennium as part of the Sixth Founding. The High Lords of Terra chose to utilize the rediscovered world of Grindelor for recruitment and tasked the Imperial Fists with training the new Chapter.

A core cadre of 30 Imperial Fists oversaw the raising of the Chapter. Many of the prospects selected came form the noble families of Grindelor; notably, Prince Bertrand of Arden, son of Bohemond, but many came from the hardy peasant stock and yeomanry as well. Bertrand showed the same zeal and capability for combat demonstrated by his father and Bertrand had already been in training for a position of leadership and command even before the Imperial Fists landed. Bertrand excelled at all he was tasked to do and earned the honor of First Chapter Master of the Fists of Vengeance.

After the initial period of training, arming and organizing the new Chapter, the original cadre of Imperial Fists returned to their own Chapter. Thus, while the Fists of Vengeance are formed from the lineage of Dorn, the new Chapter reflects the culture of their home world, Grindelor.

Home World

gallery_58941_5583_19358.jpg

Grindelor was a feudal planet on the south eastern edge of the Segmentum Tempestus, midway between Lyriax and Antagonis on the border of the Veiled Region, before rediscovery in the middle of the 32nd Millennium. With a diversity of climate and an abundance of natural resources, Grindelor resembled a pristine Terra in almost every way. Just as on ancient Terra, humans grouped into territorial divisions warred on each other constantly, and a strong warrior culture developed. The humans of Grindelor united in a common adversary when the Orks arrived in the early part of the 32nd Millennium. When Grindelor was rediscovered by the Imperial Fists, Grindelor was awash with conflict, with feudal humans fighting nearly feudal orks. Once brought into the Imperium, Grindelor was scoured of orks and ork spores...a process that involved extensive deforestation and burning of the vast majority of equatorial Grindelor, leaving barren wastelands in these areas for millennia.

Grindelor in the 41st Millenium is a civilized world with strong ties, culturally, to its feudal agrarian based history, but its main export is recruits for the Fists of Vengeance and those that are not selected for the Marines frequently serve in the Imperial Guard or Planetary Defense Force.

Beliefs

It is as was written, lo these many millennia ago. The Emperor once gifted Grindelor with His light, but it was lost to us through treachery. In our most desperate time of need, Grindelor was restored to the Imperium. As we once were rescued, so must we purge the Imperium of the unclean, the traitorous and the alien. - Chaplain Odo

The Fists of Vengeance differ from most chapters in that they see worship the Emperor as a god. The deification of the Emperor has nothing to do with the Ecclesiarchy, but lay in the indigenous religion of Grindelor, which foretell of the return of an omnipotent ruler/father/god/king who walks among men. The fortuitous arrival of the Imperial Fists fulfilled a prophesy of his return and have so ingrained this god view of the Emperor as to be unshakable. The earlier generations of the Chapter followed the teachings of the Imperial Fists, but as time passed the indigenous culture of Grindelor, including the belief of the Emperor as god, came to the fore again and intensified.

The Fists of Vengeance enter battle with chants and catechisms, braziers burning and bells ringing to honor the glory of the Emperor. The Fists of Vengeance believe that the only true way to worship the God Emperor is through combat. Therefore, every battle is a religious experience and every Fist fights with the zeal of a religious fanatic. Battlefields are hallowed ground, and after the successful culmination of a military campaign, the Fists of Vengeance will order the construction of monuments, shrines and cathedrals to be built, honoring the dead and glorifying the Emperor of Man.

Another important event that has a lasting impact on the Fists of Vengeance is the invasion by orks in the 32nd millennium. Grindelor suffered greatly at the hands of the greenskins and the memories of xenos barbarity and destruction became etched on the Grindelorian psyche forever. Consequently, the driving force of the Chapter is the purification of the Imperium. Every form of alien is to be killed, purged from Imperial Space. The Fists of Vengeance will never ally with an alien force, and orks are especially hated for blemishing Grindelor.

Combat Doctrine

Yea though I fight on the Planet of Death I shall fear no evil, for Thou art with me. Thy fire and mace comfort me. Thou preparest my armor in the presence of mine enemies. Thou anointest my bolter with oil; my bandolier runneth over. Surely initiative and line of sight will be mine all the days of my life, and I will fight for the glory of the Emperor forever! - Captain Valeran of the First Company

As descendants of the Imperial Fists, the Fists of Vengeance have inherited the stubborn streak that defines their parent chapter. This stubbornness, coupled with the chivalric code of Grindelor, bolstered by their religious fervor and righteous zeal means that the Fists of Vengeance are one of the last units to retreat.

As the Imperial Fists are adept at siege warfare, so too are the Fists of Vengeance. The original Grindelorians were well versed in medieval style siege techniques and the primary philosophy of the Imperial Fists married well to indigenous practices. The first Fists of Vengeance were quick studies to modern siege techniques and siege warfare, heavy weapons and ordinance feature prominantly in Fists of Vengeance formations.

The Fists of Vengeance view war as a religious experience. As such, vehicles are adorned with intricate artwork and decoration. Vindicators are fitted with large bells that toll incessantly as the vehicle rocks with the recoil of each barrage. Indeed, the vehicles tend to resemble rolling chapels they are so extremely decorated. But they are as deadly as they are beautiful.

Fire is a major focus for the Fists of Vengeance. The purification by flame is a primal tenet of Grindelorian faith, hearkening back to the cleansing of the orks from Grindelor. The Fists of Vengeance reflect this in their doctrine by deploying large numbers of flamers, heavy flamers, melta and multi-meltas. Laser weapons are eschewed as being appropriate for the Imperial Guard, consequently, Lascannons are never carried into battle.

The warrior class of Grindelor is a combined priestly and knightly class. The symbol of this class on Grindelor is the mace, being used in ceremony and in war alike. The Fists of Vengeance favor blunt impact weapons, such as power maces and thunder hammers, over bladed weapons. This is also symbolic of the general tactics of the Chapter, as the Fists of Vengeance are more likely to land a crushing blow with overwhelming force than to attack with stealth, subtlety or subterfuge.

gallery_58941_5583_11026.jpg
Fists of Vengeance Chapter Badge

Organization

Order and ritual. Pace and tempo. Dress to the right and cover down. The only thing consistent is consistency. – Sergeant Ganelon

The Fists of Vengeance are a Codex Chapter and are organized accordingly. The Codex is followed religiously and deviation in practice can be grounds for punishment. Extensive courts and councils are held after an action if the Commander strayed from the directives of the Codex. Egregious deviation can result in loss of rank and status.

Geneseed

Blessed is the Emperor, the God that Walks, the God that Breathes! Blessed is Dorn, the Righteous Fist of the Emperor! It is through Dorn that we were reforged. Reforged in the Image of Dorn. Reforged in the Image of the Emperor. - Hugh, Master of the Apothecarion

The Fists of Vengeance are based off the geneseed of Rogal Dorn, and are inheritors of the traits of the Imperial Fists; as such, the Fists of Vengeance lack Betcher's gland and the Sus-an membrane. The geneseed has remained pure and has had no other modifications or mutations.

Battlecry

Behold, they shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver themselves from the power of the flame!

Warning!!

The folowing post is full of harsh, straightforward and honest opinions. You ask for it. :)

I don't like to comment names, because it's the matter of taste and preference, but in this case I make a exception. 'Fist of Vengeance' sound better than Avenging Fists.

For my family, I wept. For my Kingdom, I bled. For my Emperor, I burn. – King Bertrand, 11 th King of Arden, 1st Chapter Master of the Avenging Fists

- Gene-seed work only for pre-pubertal males, because it's keyed on the changes in the puberty. Just saying.

The Avenging Fists were founded in the 32nd Millennium as part of the Sixth Founding. The Imperial Fists had been fighting an Ork fleet and followed a damaged Rok that had spun off from the rest of the fleet. The rok crashed onto an uncharted planet and so the Imperial Fists rediscovered the medieval planet of Grindelor, lost since the Age of Technology.

- Uhm, what? How is the foundation of the as heck connected with Imperial Fists force fighting some Orks on some Emperor-forgotten planet?

Due to the need to combat Eldar and Ork forces in the area, the High Lords of Terra instructed the Imperial Fists

- 1st, there is something missing.

- 2nd, Chapter aren't founded like that. Did you read the Guide I have posted in the previous thread? *If you look up atop of this forum, you can find Guide to DIY sticky.*

Home World

- Total waste of text. What is the contribution of this story to the Article? Or (what si more important) to the nature of you Chapter?

- Another thing to consider. Once you have the Orks on the world, it's hard to impossible to get rid of them.

Beliefs

The Avenging Fists differ from most chapters in that they worship the Emperor as a god.

- You are walking a rather shadowy path here. After the induction into Chapter the recruits are re-educated in the terms of history and belief. It is possible, but considering your Chapter is of the 6th Founding, it is rather odd for them to have such belief.

Combat Doctrine

Consequently, there have been many a heroic stand with no witnesses left as the Avenging Fists have gone down in a blaze of glory rather than retreat.

- Rather dangerous behaviour for Space Marines, since survival of the Chapter depends on the gene-seed recovery.

The Avenging Fists favor flame and melta weapons. As such, lascannons are unavailable to any Avenging Fists Squad, but Heavy Flamers are available to all Avenging Fist Squad allowed to take Heavy Weapons.

- Unnecessary information. It is better to keep the tabletop out of DIY.

The Avenging Fists are a Codex Chapter for the most part. Subterfuge and stealth are not generally valued by the chapter, so scouts do not have the option of camo cloaks and do not infiltrate.

= dead scouts. Really.

- Again, how do you represent your Chapter on the TT is irrelevant for DIY.

No, this was not too harsh, thank you for your input; I asked for it and I appreciate it.

I will take all comments under advisement and use them to hone my IA.

That's why I'm here, that's why I asked for your input. Thank you.

[i don't like to comment names, because it's the matter of taste and preference, but in this case I make a exception. 'Fist of Vengeance' sound better than Avenging Fists.

Fist(s) of Vengeance is growing on me

For my family, I wept. For my Kingdom, I bled. For my Emperor, I burn. – King Bertrand, 11 th King of Arden, 1st Chapter Master of the Avenging Fists

- Gene-seed work only for pre-pubertal males, because it's keyed on the changes in the puberty. Just saying.

Darn it, I knew that. :o Easily fixed though...young prince, son of Bertrand, gets recruited. I'll have to change the quote though.

The Avenging Fists were founded in the 32nd Millennium as part of the Sixth Founding. The Imperial Fists had been fighting an Ork fleet and followed a damaged Rok that had spun off from the rest of the fleet. The rok crashed onto an uncharted planet and so the Imperial Fists rediscovered the medieval planet of Grindelor, lost since the Age of Technology.

- Uhm, what? How is the foundation of the as heck connected with Imperial Fists force fighting some Orks on some Emperor-forgotten planet?

I didn't phrase it well, sorry. Basically, I wanted the Imperial Fists to stumble onto a forgotten backwater where medival humans were holding there own against feral orks, with the humans adapting to new tactics and technology. Imperial Fists show up, take over and eradicate the rest of the ork infestation. Reports from the Imperial Fists back to Terra tell of the tenacity of the humans of Grindelor, High Lords of Terra task the Imperial Fists to assist in the creation of a new chapter.

Due to the need to combat Eldar and Ork forces in the area, the High Lords of Terra instructed the Imperial Fists

- 1st, there is something missing. I see that. Oops. What was supposed to be there is summarised above.

- 2nd, Chapter aren't founded like that. Did you read the Guide I have posted in the previous thread? *If you look up atop of this forum, you can find Guide to DIY sticky.* I did, and I thought I avoided most of the don'ts and adhered to most of the do's. I'll look into it further and adjust as needed

Home World

- Total waste of text. What is the contribution of this story to the Article? Or (what si more important) to the nature of you Chapter?

I thought it contributed the reason as to the chapter being ork fighters, plus as a reinforcement of belief in emperor as god.

- Another thing to consider. Once you have the Orks on the world, it's hard to impossible to get rid of them.

True. But I wanted to mitigate this for a few things. I want to have a reason in the planets biosphere that maybe slightly inhibits ork spore generation. Maybe the indiginous pigs root out the orks in the fungoid stage like so much truffles! :HQ: I also envisioned that the ork infestation, while significant from a grindelorean perspective, would be small comparatively to the "typical" infestation.

Beliefs

The Avenging Fists differ from most chapters in that they worship the Emperor as a god.

- You are walking a rather shadowy path here. After the induction into Chapter the recruits are re-educated in the terms of history and belief. It is possible, but considering your Chapter is of the 6th Founding, it is rather odd for them to have such belief.

I'm willing to edit many things, but the belief in the Imperial God is not one of them. I really have a strong vision about this. If everything else is identical to a bland Ultramarines army, so be it. I'll tread the shadowy path here.

Combat Doctrine

Consequently, there have been many a heroic stand with no witnesses left as the Avenging Fists have gone down in a blaze of glory rather than retreat.

- Rather dangerous behaviour for Space Marines, since survival of the Chapter depends on the gene-seed recovery.

Good point and duly noted. Wording will change to reflect more of a rearguard/last out option rather than futile sacrifice.

The Avenging Fists favor flame and melta weapons. As such, lascannons are unavailable to any Avenging Fists Squad, but Heavy Flamers are available to all Avenging Fist Squad allowed to take Heavy Weapons.

- Unnecessary information. It is better to keep the tabletop out of DIY.

Ok.

The Avenging Fists are a Codex Chapter for the most part. Subterfuge and stealth are not generally valued by the chapter, so scouts do not have the option of camo cloaks and do not infiltrate.

= dead scouts. Really. I see it as scouts fulfilling a different function. Scouts on bikes, well scouting as forward observers. This chapter goes into battle with smoking braziers, bells, chants and music. Camo is not their "thing".

- Again, how do you represent your Chapter on the TT is irrelevant for DIY. Ok, thank you.

The stuff you've written so far reads well. Is their Emperor worship as per the Ecclesiarchy's practices, or do they have their own cult? I know most marines have differen cults that tend to view the E. as an exceptional man rather than god, but it doesn't seem unreasonable that some would be religious. After the end of the Heresy and his internment, the view the Emperor was a god became much more widely accepted and in the HH we see some marines come to accept the Lectitio Divinatus.

It would be good to see something as to how the Chapter came to adopt the faith of their new world. Maybe there needs to be a particularly impressive religious leader there when they arrive - maybe the King you mentioned could be the head of the faith and an inspiring religious figure who wins the Marines over to his point of view over the first century of their existence - almost a good version of Kor Pharon? After his death he could be dubbed a Saint by the Ecclesiarchy.

Hi Aegnor, thanks for the comments.

The Emperor worship on Grindelor is seperate from the Ecclesiarchy. Even after technology faded on Grindelor, memory of a time of wealth and power remained. Tied into this is the vague memory/myth/legend of a great godemperorwarriorking, who will return to bring Grindelor back into his fold. Well, this myth happened to exactly correspond with the coming of the Imperial Fists to Grindelor when they were tracking down a wayward chunk of an Ork Rok.

When Imperial contact was made with Grindelor, and they were told of the Emperor, it fit exactly into their preexisting religion.

Grindelor had something similar to the historical Divine Right of Kings. This was further strengthened when the High Lords of Terra selected Grindelor to be the source planet for one of the new chapters of the sixth founding. Since the Imperial Fists had found Grindelor, they were tasked with training the recruits and getting the Chapter up and running. Most of the rectuits came form the noble classes, and the young son of the King of Arden eventually becomes the first Chapter Master. That the ruling class of Grindelor ruled because of Divine Right, and then the prophesy of the Emperor's return happens, and then your nobility is chosen to become Space Marines....this is why the Fists of Vengeance still hold to the belief of the Emperor as God.

Over the next couple hundred years, The Fists of Vengeance sent squads out accompanying Imperial Fists and sometimes Crimson Fists units to gain experience....in the early days of the chapter, it was rare for large formations to work together.

so far so good.

i would also agree that although the beleif in a god-emperor is incredibly rare for an astartes, it does break the mould of the normal astartes beleifs. have you thought about any conflicts this beleif may cause them? possibly with the inquisition, or other religious groups?

so far so good.

i would also agree that although the beleif in a god-emperor is incredibly rare for an astartes, it does break the mould of the normal astartes beleifs. have you thought about any conflicts this beleif may cause them? possibly with the inquisition, or other religious groups?

Oh, certainly. But these little misunderstandings are what allows my chapter to go up against the vatious Imperial forces without batting an eye.

Inquisition player: You're a heretic!

Fists of Vengeance: I find your lack of faith disturbing....

I don't think the Ecclesiarchy would have a problem at first, because it falls into line because they believe the Emperor is god, too. The difference is that the Fists believe that the Primarchs are Saints. Therefore, every space marine is a little bit divine. And better than those that huddle in spires or chimeras.

very well, this seems beleivable enough.

the idea that marines are a bit divine may definately cause the inquisition to intervene! anyone with a messiah complex would definately attract the inquisition!

i personally like the idea of mentioning the use of flame and melta weapons.

The Avenging Fists favor flame and melta weapons. As such, lascannons are unavailable to any Avenging Fists Squad, but Heavy Flamers are available to all Avenging Fist Squad allowed to take Heavy Weapons

however, i would ask WHY?

maybe include a bit of background as to why they favour these.

They favor flame type weapons so I can make use of a Vulkan anolog for my Chapter Master! Oh wait...what I meant to say is that they favor melta and flame weapons because they found it was the best way to fight against orks and to ensure that the orks wouldn't return. burn em, spores and all.

Same here. The Heresy was awhile ago, odds are there are going to be chapters that crop up that are similar to the pre-Heresy ones. Would only make sense that they fill the void left by the traitors. Just make sure they're not identical and there shouldn't be an issue.

As an IF successor, I'm suprised there is no predisposition towards seige-craft or heavy weapons. You might want to think about that as it will help to add flavour to your Chapter. Hell, feudal medieval planets are bound to have a few sieges themselves, good recruiting prospects? :tu: Can't wait to see how this develops, will be watching for the Iron Gauntlet.

Actually Wings, I do envision them with a degree of skill in seigecraft. I personally tend to field a lot of Dev squads when I can, so this will be relected on the tabletop. I usually run a fairly balanced force, but I hardly ever took assault squads, that role being filled with a terminator squad. However, I would take two full devastator squads and try to kill at range.

I have enough figures now to field three full devastator squads. I'm going to be using magnatized marines so I probably won't need all three squads, but nice to know I have them. Never have enough marines, right?

Yeah, I know. But I want the colors to be bright. The ice blue is going to be shaded with a blue wash/ink that will darken it up a bit. On the sternguard and vanguard they will be wearing yellow robes with a flame motif on the cowl/hood. The chapter badge is basically going to be an Imperial Fists badge wreathed in flames.

There is going to be a lot of fire iconography that I wasn't able to incorporate. I'm not good at photoshop.

For example, my chapter master (I'm using the rules for Vulkan but my own figure) will have either the head of the Redeemer from Necromunda or the flaming head from the Empire Flagellents box set. There will be braziers aflame on each vehicle, each exhaust port will have a gout of flame. On my Vindicator I'm going to have a modified Skaven Screaming Bell assembly on it, so the Bell will toll every time the cannon is fired.

Each marine will also be festooned with badges, scrolls, bells, censers, etc.

I also wanted to stay away from red and black because those are done so much.

I wanted to stay away from green because my first marine chapter was green, I also have an ork army, and my imperial guard army uses green and tan.

Archived