IA: Librarians of Madness

WookieeGunner

Some brainstorming for the Librarians of Madness.

Followers of Tzeentch.

Chapter Master either Sorceror or Daemon Prince

Legend is that Chapter Master was granted a book from the Hidden Library that drove him mad.

Chapter Master has armor infused with horros from Hidden Library

Chapter colors are blue and pink in random patterns (like marine was ran over by a herd of horrors)

Chapter focuses on trying to collect daemonic items particular tomes and codicies

Chapter based on a daemon world (maybe)

Chapter symbol ? (thinking book based like pre-heresy Word Bearers but with chaos sigil (symbol of Tzeentch? Chaos eye?) instead of flame or the Daemon Skull that looks like a Librarian symbol).

Nice concept.

For the symbol. the eye or Tzeentch mark surrounded by flames would be cool.

My crit is the name. People who are insane don't usually seem to think they are. Librarians of madness?

Maybe the Insanity Host\Cabal.

But really they should be well impressed with themselves (being nutters). They appear to be seekers of knowlegde so maybe they call themselves the Indecipherable Truth.. I dunno just chucking ideas around.

Okay, so you have some basic ideas to start from.

Now for the far more interesting part... What do those bullet mean for the Chapter/Warband and how do they express themselves in their history, their organization, their combat doctrines, their rituals and beliefs? Why is the daemon-infused armor something important for us to know and how does it inform his actions (a much more important point than its color)? What is their purpose for collecting relics and writings? Is there a purpose, other than to merely possess them? To what lengths will they go in order to secure a particular piece they seek? Are there lines they won't cross, alliances they won't risk, promises, geas, or oaths they've sworn that they won't break? Even if it means they won't win the bauble?

Oh, and please change the colorscheme. Keep the colors but make it a little less jigsawish.

I like the colour scheme.

A marine goes to war looking like that and you know he fears nothing.

Chapter symbol i would recommended a book with a halo of pink and blue light behind it.

As an initiation ritual a Neophyte has to hand write is own copy of the book the Chapter Master was given from the Black Library.

The book was given to him by harlequins so maybe your chapter has the grand idea of trying to tame Chaos and calm the warp. They collect knowledge and artifacts to study because they believe that if they accumulate enough know-how they will know how and be able to do it.

So far their greatest achievements are a better style of Gellar Field and more efficient deamon summoning and binding rituals.

They could recruit from Deamonworlds because any human culture that manages to set up and survive for a few centuries on such worlds almost certainly must have some sort of warp resistance. Be it a slight calming effect on the warp around them or just bag full of cunning and intelligent deviousness.

From which Primarch were they spawned?

I would drop the name 'Librarians'. A book counter is not an object of terror and awe. Also, no one knows that they are mad. to them they could have just followed one logical step after another all the way down into the pit of Chaos. Liek how Eisenhorn went from borderline Puritan all the way into pet-deamon-bound-into-the-corpse-of-his-best-friend style of Radicalism.

@Yogi: Not a bad idea for the symbol. I'll have to think about it. And as far as the insanity, they aren't insane, it is their duty to find and catalog items of madness store it away to protect the universe. And if it takes releasing the hordes of the warp so they can grab the item that was holding the hordes at bay, well we all have to make sacrifices, right.

@Apothete: Thanks for the questions, I'm still working on answers and those will help me out greatly. As far as the armor, I'm modeling it after Lucios the Eternals (in the way his is possesed) but instead of it being souls, it is a jibbering cacophany of demonic voices. And as far as why they are collecting the tomes, they believe that they are still protecting the universe from the greater horrors of the warp that have yet to show their face. By collecting these items and learning how they work and their weakness then they will be ready when the time comes. If someone called them on it, their attitude would be "This is but a sprinkle, do not complain that we have stolen your umbrella now, for by stealing it, we can save you when the monsoon hits." And yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the jigsawness, my actual plan is to make it more of a splatter effect but the painter wouldn't let me do that. I'm thinking about pulling it up in a graphics program and redoing it.

@soddinnutter: It's not the Harlequin's Black Library the book came from, it is Tzeentch's Hidden Library (at the center of his Labrynth) that the book came from.

My initial idea was that there are Radical Inquisitors that fall to Chaos because they have stared to long into the Abyss, why couldn't a Marine Chapter do the same thing. Kind of a what if there was a chapter who had dedicated itself to learning everything it could on how to deestroy creatures of the warp only to find themselves on the slippery slope of Chaos. The Grey Knights don't fall because they have special psychic training and equipment that specifically protects them in their duties. What would happen if a Chapter that doesn't have that kind of protection tried to do what the Grey Knights do? They can't rely solely on their equipment, so they must gird their minds through training and meditation, and by inculcation of the words of the warp they will better be able to face the creatures of the warp when they must fight against it.

Archived