Gunzhard's LPC WIP thread...

I vowed 1 (7man) Death Guard Kill Team (OOP models with conversions) and 1 (5man) Sanguinary Guard.

I nearly finished the first squad before I read that we need WIP updates! hah...

The Death Guard Kill Team is something I started converting years ago in fact. At the time for a different version of 40k and a different Chaos codex. I never got past base-coats with them however, as I have a zillion Blood Angels to paint (for the rest of my life likely).

I only have this one picture from this stage unfortunately, but you can see the model is nearly almost fully base-coated, but then I chopped the arm and some body off and built a combi-plasmagun to use instead.

gallery_37458_5619_19670.jpg

This was just earlier this week... mostly everybody (in the Death Guard KT) is base-coated completely. No real shadows or highlights but I spent a lot of time on the banner:

gallery_37458_5619_279303.jpg

gallery_37458_5619_256373.jpg

I also did the power-weapon on the champion... the idea was sound, but the execution was not (visible close up):

gallery_37458_5619_475407.jpg

1. I'm very jealous of your old plague marine models. I've only got a couple. ;)

2. That green armor looks cool. It's hard to describe it but it just looks like a kind of worn buffed green polished by the sands of time. *shrugs*

3. The power sword is clean and looks good. Why do you feel it was not executed well?

4. Will the bases be completed? If so why do you paint the mini before it has any basing material?

Hmm wow didn't expect any replies hah... well thank you!

Uhh the power-weapon; well I used the Les Bursley Airbrush technique but I made one crucial error. I should have base coated it yellow first! Instead what I did was, mask off half of the blade, then start building up the primer, then the yellow, then the shades and highlights... then I had to do the other half (masked off in the same manner) ...but by then I had built up sooo much paint on one half that I had a big fat lip of paint. If you look closely you can see it.

Yeah my plan is to finish the models... then glue the sand (which I probably should have done first), then paint the base.

Thanks guys...

Well here is an update, the picture isn't great but the Squad is nearly done. I ended up adding sand and painting it black at this stage, but I still need to touch up the models a little before I finish painting the base.

gallery_37458_5619_1297055.jpg

Also - my Sanguinary Guard is now primed!

For my own sake to remember:

I used 20:10:2 ratio of Liquitex AB medium : VMC Brass : VMC Copper... then to get closer and into the smaller areas I used 30:10:2 ratio at a much lower PSI.

Well stupid me; so much for not making the same mistake twice:

I was so anxious and impatient to start painting the gold that I never really let the primer dry properly before I started masking the models with (low-tac Tamiya) tape. Despite the tape being 'low-tac' it still managed to remove the primer in many spots leaving little primer craters that are going to be a pain to deal with now ACK!. I've done this in the past and should have known better... stupid stupid; always wait a day after priming if you are going to A) put water on the model or B.) put tape on it... doh.

what did you shade the gold with ? looks very impressive

Thanks dude... well here is what I did:

Base coat is mostly VMC Brass...

I made a custom wash (put in dropper bottle)... that has mostly matte-medium and P3-Umbral-Umber, a little flo-aid, a small amount of red and a small amount of green. I more-or-less washed most of the mini except the flat areas and areas that will receive extreme highlights.

Then I took a very thinned down P3-Umbral-Umber and Black mix, and painted just in the deep recesses of the models.

First highlight will be VMC Gold, then VMC Gold with VMC Silver, then some glazing with reds and oranges, maybe some green, then some spot highlighting with Silver... I had already tested this formula here:

http://mybattalion.com/images/originalphotos/1597/919/278012db0753a6cd9cf48e89.jpg

http://mybattalion.com/images/originalphotos/1597/919/d30026c2079b5137f753f9cc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived