Nathaniel's Sons Of Gorgon Post Heresy Death Guard

Brother Melice

I have spent long time trying to come up with a concept for my army, a force I am working on right now.

I loved the idea of marines of the traitor legions retaining their allegiance to the emperor. And as soon as I got the chance to dig out some information on the stories of Garviel Loken, Saul Tarvitz, Iacton Qruze, and of course Nathaniel Garro, around which I decided to build my legion around. In Eisenstein story, it is said that there were around 80-90 Death Guard survivors after the commind to Terra, sufficient enough to form a Chapter, most men were from Death Guard 7th Great company. which seemed good enough for me. Throwing in some antique mythology, and tyingg it into Nathaniel's Terran heritage, it seemed appropriate to use the Medusa Gorgona myth, hence the name, SONS OF GORGON, resilient as stone to any demonic, alien or mutant. It is even possible that the Grey Knights were formed later basing on this chapter, Who knows?

Still extencive work mus be done on the fluff...

So, right now I will be concentrating only on the modeling aspect of my newly forming Legion.

The most sacred of all places for a gamer, the work station of course...

gallery_52083_5542_364260.jpg

and now to the modeling....

the captain.... simple conversion. It's a AoBR captain model, simple head swap and clipping of the neck eagle.

gallery_52083_5542_238826.jpg

Initially two squads were completed in the cutting and gluing, and gs work stage. There is one of them.

Squad Azrael.

gallery_52083_5542_417615.jpg

I have been always fascinated with the WWII flamethrowers, such power concealed in but a small tank of fluid. Now having a professionally twisted and flourishing imagination. what could science fiction setting of Warhammer offer in their vision of the gloriously devastating and noble. I had my answer as soon as I was exposed to the wonders of the 2ed box. a Pepsi can.

A PEPSI CAN, how was that little soda can supposed to harbor limitless devastation so well described in GW's promo literature? As beautiful as the new minis of the 3d ed were, the dreaded soda can stayed.

So I thought to set thing right.

gallery_52083_5542_5.jpg

Having listened to some advice, and thinking the idea really cool, i began to mercilessly glue pouches to the models. Some where on the internet, a fellow modeler had made a "Pouchy Space Ops Space Marine force", needles to say, I could not resist.

I also came up with the idea how to differentiate the squad sergeant and second in command, for when i want to combat squad them, not like it's the brightest idea in 5th ed it would seem, still... Just to add some visual variety. I decided long ago that in a futuristic setting, a back banner is just ludicrous, Thankfully I found a solution, and then sank as soon as i saw that GW were already imploying that same concept widely. Oh well...

gallery_52083_5542_129253.jpg

More to come.

Thanks< dude with a really disturbing combination of game species....(just kidding Moose))))))

It's a very simple conversion actually, a marine back pack, two spark plug connector nuts, green stuff, and plastic rod for the fuel hose...

I'll be posting updates soon, and I'll take a pic of the flamer marines from the back so you can see how it all works, unfortunately? it's too late to make a tut, as the models are primed and my brother's Miata ran out os spark plugs :cuss

I've been working on a list or this army as well, need some feed back on it. As the Death Guard;s battle doctrine was infantry heavy, I think that staying true to that makes sense.

Also, this is not just a painting and converting project, this is battle force, intended to see a lot of games.

Leaning toward a 1850 points, as there is no popular standard in my gaming area, I thought that building a tournament legal force is a good idea as any. Feedback is greatly welcomed.

The Godhammer

HQ Captain Aximand Sextus

combi-melta+PS

Command Squad Barrabadon

Standard

Champion

Apothacary0

Veteran + meltagun

Veteran

HQ Librarian in Terminator armor + SS

Elite Assault Terminators Th+SS

Elite Dreadnaught Multi-melta + DCCW

Troop Tactical Squad Azriel

Flamer + Multi-melta

Rhino "Lucky Lady"

Troop Tactical Squad Scipio

Flamer + Missile Launcher

Rhino "Strawberry Bitch"

Troop Tactical squad Marius

Falmer +Missile Launcher

FA Land Speeder Squadron

Speeder "Glamour Gal" Heavy Bolter

Speeder "Flame Of Fury" Multi Melta

FA Assault Squad Karniel

2 Flamers + PW

HS Predator Destructor "Loaded Lady"

HB Sponsons

HS Whirlwind " Thunderheart"

Totals out to a terny legal 1850

All vehicles are maned in a form of tribute to WWII aircraft and armor. Each will have a distinct Pin Up freehand where ever appropriate. But all shoulder pad heraldry for the mariens and pin Up will be covered in a later post.

I came up with a distinct and different organization system for vehicles within my legion. As the Death Guard were one of the most numerous legions, further more it was comprised of only seven Great Companies, hence the codex designations for their vehicles would not work ( I am assuming that Roboute Guilliman based the Insignia Astartes on most common organization of companies within the Astarties Legions) The massive armories of the XIVth legion had to devise a way to designate what armor is assigned to which company. Well< now we know how they did it.

All vehicles are numbered, by order in the armory, The command Land Raider would be the first vehicle.

The hierarchy of vehicles were:

1-12 Predators

26-33 vindicators

34-42 whirlwinds

43-55 Land Raiders

56-99 Tactical Rhinos

100-127 Devastator Rhinos

128-153 Dreadnoughts

154-204 Land Speeders

205-304 Bikes

305-355 (As the Razorback is a rookie of Space Marine Armor, It was added to the vehicle designation system later on)

The designation itself is in linear form: Acronym of the legion name, then company number (in Roman) - vehicle number

example: DGVII-81

which translates to: Death Guard VIIth Company Vehicle-81, which is a Tactical Rhino.

Some updates...

As promised, the flamer dudes from the back, you can see how the back pack was converted, using a standard Space Marine backpack, and some spark plug connector nuts.

gallery_52083_5542_34503.jpg

Both squads were primed, and given a heavy wash of VGC Flat Earth and Orange, this is just to get a feel and atmosphere i want to go with, not the final result. (Emperor, deliver me from falling from your grace, if I start painting this way....))))

index.php?autocom=gallery&req=si&img=59964

Squad Scipio

gallery_52083_5542_13960.jpg

Squad Azriel

gallery_52083_5542_61665.jpg

The Assault on Black Reach Dread got a little modified as well. I wanted the DCCW arm to be a bit sideways, not just parallel to the main hull, so a little plastic rod did the trick nicely.

gallery_52083_5542_32022.jpg

gallery_52083_5542_19309.jpg

The Chapter Symbol.

The Medusa Gorgona.

gallery_52083_5542_62215.jpg

This emblem was modeled on the Rhinos side doors.

gallery_52083_5542_51252.jpg

Then I caught myself on the idea, how am I going to pull that off on 50+ models??? The answer was less demanding, but manageable still. Freehand. How that turned out I let you know as soon as I have the updates.

Sorry for missing your question there Goose, YES I am going for Pre Heresy Death Guard color, but not really. I don't like the strong contrast of white and dark green, so it's going to be a little softer in tones. But the general color scheme is Pre Heresy...

And thanks for the support man, really appreciate it man. If you have any ideas, don't keep them to yourself, spill them out. :D

Really interesting idea Brother Melice!

I like the rugged look your marines have, especially with all the extra pouches and such. Adds to the look of a heavy infantryman which the Death Guard emphasized.

Thanks Hushrong, actually the colors changed drastically, but the heavy infantry feel is still there...

And, Marshal2 Crusaders,

Yes, loyalist Death Guard,

Yes, forming their own chapter, if that's what you want to call it, (The flight of the Eisenstein hints on that whatever the outcome of Malcador's decision, the remaining survivors would share their fate, Malcador also clearly stated, that they were to serve a purpose yet, (hinting on forming a new chapter, Grey Knights, or what ever else) So why not have them form a chapter? besides, who said that this organized chapter was not the template upon which the Grey Knights were based? In my mind's eye it all works out :thanks:

Game wise, this is a vanilla space marines force, as i do not really know the fluffy restrictions i should implement on them, it's just going to have more infantry than anything else.)))

More updates coming soon, I promise :(

Squad Azriel

gallery_52083_5542_52375.jpg

Flamer from the back.

gallery_52083_5542_30009.jpg

and some shipment from what it seems the Cadian gate, ooooh, i wonder what they sent??? :D

gallery_52083_5542_25221.jpg

Some time, on the gathering of the conclave of great generals, it was decided that each marine would be responsible for maintaining their own armor ( as far as their physiology will allow) and also for maintaining and painting the chapter and personal heraldry like this marine....

gallery_52083_5542_5248.jpg

But little did I realize, that not all marines were equally gifted in the arts, so we were stuck with this Michelangelo's masterpiece as part of the squad... they call him brother Smiley ever since .....

gallery_52083_5542_3841.jpg

more to come soon....

;) :lol: :lol:

awesome minis, I especially like the inclusion of the old marines (I'm really surprised of how cool they look with "modern" armpairs) and the captain's cloak is plain awesome!

Keep it up, can't wait to see more!

Thanks guys for all your encouragement and comments.

Peacekeeper and Legio Draconis, The Brother Smiley was my brother's idea, and his paint job also, after numerous attempts to make it look like, well, this... I just employed my brother... 12 years in a pro art school do have their drawbacks as I found out....

but he turned out exactly what we had in mind.

Talhydras, thanks man, I have about 20 of these 2nd Ed era marines, and just can't part with them... so when the decision was made to strip and and build a proper marine force, I just had to give these old veterans new life and do a proper paint job, that will do justice to their historical significance. But, believe it or not, they look really dorky with just new arms, the pouches are what made them really blend in with the rest of the army, because there is such a huge difference between the kits, some other element had to make it all work, and the pouches did it nicely.

Goose, thanks for your comments, really means a lot.

hopefully I can keep the standard with the whole army))))))))

Archived