IA: Sons of Ixion [Iron Gauntlet 2011]

Yogi

Sons of Ixion

Origins

With all Astartes there is an element of arrogance. However if it is not tempered by duty, it can lead to heresy. Such is the case with the Sons of Ixion.

At the dawn of the 39th millennium the final stages of the joint Astartes campaign against Waaagh! Madskull, two Astartes Chapters, the Astral Scythes and the Sons of Ixion vied for the glory of slaying the Warboss Madskull. Veiled threats turned to outright hostility after the Astral Scythes launched a lighting fast assault and succeeded in killing the warboss in a costly engagement aboard the Space Hulk “Hades Flight”.

Chapter Master Agathon of the Sons of Ixion was irate. A formal apology was demanded of the Astral Scythes, including massive compensation in war material. Such a request was flatly refused by Chapter Master Marius of the Scythes. He then suggested that if the Sons of Ixion were so aggrieved, they should settle it as warriors. To the observer this suggests some form of ritual combat between allies. Indeed Marius latter confirmed he meant such a convention. However Marius was ignorant of the uncivilised, blunt, murderous and literal people which the Sons of Ixion recruited from. Agathon had no concept of duelling, on his world all conflict was to the death and only children ‘duelled’.

So, less than a minute after Marius’ ‘request’, fuelled by rage the Sons of Ixion opened fire upon their brothers and in doing so became heretics.

The civil war took place in space and aboard the megalithic space hulk. In the void, the Astral Scythes, a fleet based chapter soon began to show their supremacy against the Sons of Ixion fleet. Yet aboard “Hades Flight” the savagery of the Sons was slowly wearing down the discipline of the Astral Scythes. Eventually Marius determined that victory was inevitable in the void and withdrew all remaining troops to his ships. He then sent request for aid to the Imperium to deal with the heretic Sons. Agathon, a proud man, sent no requests for aid. He ordered the majority of his forces aboard the Hulk and told the few surviving vessels in his crippled fleet to scatter. He would wait for the final confrontation.

No such event occurred. As the two chapter masters traded barbs over the vox “Hades Flight” inexplicably jumped into the warp.

Damnation

Adrift in the Space Hulk, the rage of the Sons of Ixion burned brightly in the aether. Lacking any of the conventional Imperial protection such as a Geller Field, the hulk was open to the denizens of the warp. In moments the Sons of Ixion were under attack from all manner of warp beasts and red skinned daemons. Scores of marines were killed in the initial attacks. Chapter Master Agathon knew they could not survive such a war of attrition in the months or years the Hulk may be adrift and ordered all forces to rally to his location to form a strong point and likely a last stand. All the Sons of Ixion obeyed the order or died trying. All except one, Malathir.

A thunder hawk pilot of a cold and vicious temperament, Malathir felt the call of something else. He disregarded Agathon’s command and searched for it. No daemon crossed his path as he wandered through the hulk and though the vox was filled with cries of rage and agony, Malathir felt nothing for his brothers. Finally he came upon a strange ship. Within was a chapel, a place of worship, filled with scattered and decaying xenos skulls. In the centre of the chapel was a rune. It hurt his eyes to look upon it but at the same time he welcomed it. He knew without knowing that it belonged to Khorne, the Blood God. As he moved closer he felt the immense power of the rune. The fury, strength and vitality energized him. Ambitions long forgotten, filled his mind. Without a word, without even a conscious thought, he had given his allegiance to the power and was taken from the hulk.

Without warning the intense assault of the daemons ceased. The Sons of Ixion had weathered the storm. Agathon congratulated his brothers for their skill in the battle, only to find himself in battle with one of his own. Malathir appeared among his brothers with a flare of warp fire and attacked the Chapter Master with cold fury, wielding a savage axe of unfamiliar design. The rune of the blood god, carved upon Malathir’s aquila echoed waves of abhorrent and addictive power over the remaining Sons of Ixion. They watched transfixed as the Chapter Master was despatched effortlessly by Malathir.

He offered a simple ultimatum. Those with souls that burned with anger or a thirst for vengeance accepted and those with pure hearts and unflinching loyalty were sent to Khorne.

The next recorded appearance of “Hades Flight” within Imperial space was some sixty years later. Raiders sallied forth from the hulk and slaughtered the hives of Gharma Prime. They proclaimed themselves the Sons of Ixion, servants of the mighty Blood God.

Home World

The home world of the Sons of Ixion was the feral world of Dendaros. Located on the fringes of Segmentum Tempestus, it was home to a large number of vicious inter-warring tribes. It was destroyed when the Astral Scythes conducted exterminatus upon the planet. The planet is now classed as Perdita.

The Excommunicate Traitoris Sons of Ixion are now based upon the space hulk “Hades Flight”. The megalithic vessel is composed of a great many vessels, some xenos, some ancient and some unidentifiable. The hulk houses the remnants of the chapter along with thousands of captured human slaves.

The Hulk has also amassed a small pirate flotilla, vessels ranging from small cutters, to captured Imperial Navy vessels.

Geneseed

The heretic Sons of Ixion carry the geneseed of Guilliman. So far no detectable mutation has occurred.

Combat Doctrine

When loyal to the Imperium the Sons of Ixion fought according to the doctrines and tactics of the Codex. However over time worship of the Blood God has caused a prevalence of warriors armed solely for close combat. A minority of sounder mind and greater tactical understanding still prefer their bolters and heavy weaponry. Rarer still are those who call themselves the Teeth of Khorne. These Astartes fulfil the role of devastators and take great pleasure from their ability to take the first kill. Despite their tactical roles and weaponry all Sons of Ixion relish close combat. It has been noted that either due to the relatively short period of corruption or perhaps due to the geneseed of Guilliman the Sons of Ixion have on occasion performed combat actions resembling codex tactics. Others theorise that without the ‘psycho-surgery’ of the more infamous of the Blood God’s followers, the Sons of Ixion retain much of their sanity.

Organisation

The Sons of Ixion are organised where possible in groups of eight, the sacred number of the Blood God. Groupings in this number are believed to grant Khorne’s favour. The chapter is unevenly divided into eight hosts, some of which are roughly equivalent to a codex company. Each is lead by a Lord Champion, with individual squads lead by Aspiring Champions. Hosts who lack sufficient numbers of Astartes often supplement their ranks with human cultists. Others may attempt recruit small groups of renegade space marines. All Sons of Ixion owe allegiance to Malathir, who commands no host and fights where he pleases.

Beliefs

Before the excommunication of the Sons of Ixion, the chapter valued strength in all things. They believed the Emperor to be the embodiment of mankind’s strength. Demonstrations of strength through martial prowess or tactical brilliance were equally valued. As the Sons descended into worship of Khorne, strength became Khorne’s favour and great efforts are expended to increase ones favour. The Sons of Ixion consider the battle field Khorne’s church, the slaying of enemies an act of worship. Skulls of the slain are piled high in efforts to gain favour. Other then chaotic practices, the majority of the Sons of Ixion bear a great hatred of the elusive Astral Scythes, and many long for the day of reckoning.

Battle Cry

“Khorne reaps the weak!” is a common war cry of the Sons of Ixion. It is also used to deride other Ixion squads as they take causalities.

The more infamous chant, “Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!” Is equally favoured as it was chanted by Malathir as he fought against Chapter Master Agathon.

Still to come, colour scheme, symbol, formatting and sidebar on Malathir..

Just a couple of points.

At the dawn of the 39th millennium the final stages of the joint Astartes campaign against Waaagh! Madskull, two Astartes Chapters, the Astral Scythes and the Sons of Ixion vied for the glory of slaying the Warboss Madskull. Veiled threats turned to outright hostility after the Astral Scythes launched a lighting fast assault and succeeded in killing the warboss in a costly engagement aboard the Space Hulk “Hades Flight”.

So, less than a minute after Marius’ ‘request’, fuelled by rage the Sons of Ixion opened fire upon their brothers and in doing so became heretics.

Were both entire chapters just sitting in space next to one another? That's how it sounds, though the gathering of two whole chapters together at one point usually denotes one hell of a crisis. Where was the Imperial Navy if this Waaaagh! was to be so dangerous or an impending danger given that they were still in transit upon a space hulk.

I get that there must have been a larger war going on but in that case where are all the other Imperial Agencies that get involved in such an occurrence? If the Hulk was so near, wouldn't the Imperial Navy have bombarded it into space dust?

I know it's early days here but the reason I hit this bit is because while I know what you're doing, the feeling of the writing is implying more than there needs to be.

The heretic Sons of Ixion carry the geneseed of Guilliman. So far no detectable mutation has occurred.

They live on a hulk that spent a rather long while in the warp (well time is meaningless in the warp, so relative-time) before they had even turned traitor and there is no mutation?

Thank you very much for the crits.

Were both entire chapters just sitting in space next to one another? That's how it sounds, though the gathering of two whole chapters together at one point usually denotes one hell of a crisis. Where was the Imperial Navy if this Waaaagh! was to be so dangerous or an impending danger given that they were still in transit upon a space hulk.

I get that there must have been a larger war going on but in that case where are all the other Imperial Agencies that get involved in such an occurrence? If the Hulk was so near, wouldn't the Imperial Navy have bombarded it into space dust?

I know it's early days here but the reason I hit this bit is because while I know what you're doing, the feeling of the writing is implying more than there needs to be.

They live on a hulk that spent a rather long while in the warp (well time is meaningless in the warp, so relative-time) before they had even turned traitor and there is no mutation?

When I write I am kind of minimalist so I leave alot of details out. But I see what you are saying. Need to busy the Imperial Navy with something, need to justify the presence of two close to full chapters.

"implying more than there needs to be." The full chapters part? can you specify?

For the second part, Maybe I wasn't clear in my writing. They only live on the Hulk after the confrontation with the Scythes. And are pretty much instantly assault by daemons, until malathir. Their original Homeworld is virus bombed by the Scythes. Maybe you can point me to what lead you to that understanding?

As to the Geneseed, well I can't think of how it could mutate in any way that would help their character. Open to suggestions.

Battle Cry

“Khorne weeds out the weak!” is a common war cry of the Sons of Ixion. It is also used to deride other Ixion squads as they take causalities.

"Khorne reaps the weak!"

Less gardening, more slaying and skull taking, is emphasised!

Done and done. Nice.

He then sent request for aid to the Imperium to deal with the heretic Sons.

Astartes Chapters come to blows all the time, it doesn't make the one who strikes first "heretic".

Astartes Chapters come to blows all the time, it doesn't make the one who strikes first "heretic".

Good, I need to improve that line also. Its not explaining what I mean. Because it isn't blows, this is not some fight, SoI are so pissed off that they are killing every single Scythe they can. Agathon intends to kill them all for stealing his glory and inferring the SoI cowards for not settling it as warriors immediately. Their whole fleet fires upon the scythes fleet. IMO unless they had killed everyone, they would of been due to be wiped out for that. But if attempting to wipe out another loyal chapter is cool in the Imperium, I'll take out that line.

Part of the problem for me is trying to write in the IA historian style rather then just a third person story.

Good, I need to improve that line also. Its not explaining what I mean. Because it isn't blows, this is not some fight, SoI are so pissed off that they are killing every single Scythe they can. Agathon intends to kill them all for stealing his glory and inferring the SoI cowards for not settling it as warriors immediately. Their whole fleet fires upon the scythes fleet. IMO unless they had killed everyone, they would of been due to be wiped out for that. But if attempting to wipe out another loyal chapter is cool in the Imperium, I'll take out that line.

It depends how you intend to tell the story, or how you want it to pan out before to become traitors.

The Sons and Scythes come to blows over "differences in combat efficiency" and a skirmish happens - the Sons taunt the Scythes so much that they give the first blow, in theory making them to blame? - but the Scythes come off worst and tactically retreat and - for whatever reason - inform the Powers That Be that the Sons have gone rogue.

Whilst this is going on, they go about examining the spoils of war; seeing what can be taken or salvaged from the Hulk and that leads a Thunderhawk Pilot to a place he shouldn't be.

That way you get a twist, if you follow, of them being declared traitors for something they never really did - unprovoked attack on another Chapter - whilst the big problem is missed.

Also, please tell me if that sounds as awfully bad as I think it does.

It depends how you intend to tell the story, or how you want it to pan out before to become traitors.

The Sons and Scythes come to blows over "differences in combat efficiency" and a skirmish happens - the Sons taunt the Scythes so much that they give the first blow, in theory making them to blame? - but the Scythes come off worst and tactically retreat and - for whatever reason - inform the Powers That Be that the Sons have gone rogue.

Whilst this is going on, they go about examining the spoils of war; seeing what can be taken or salvaged from the Hulk and that leads a Thunderhawk Pilot to a place he shouldn't be.

That way you get a twist, if you follow, of them being declared traitors for something they never really did - unprovoked attack on another Chapter - whilst the big problem is missed.

I don't think its bad. In fact I am considering it. However I don't want another hard done by victim chapter. There are in my opinion too many of them already. I also am quite fond of the errors in communication, due to cultural differences angle. Just a small comment leading to war. "Settle it as warriors" means to the scythes a duel so that honour is sated, but to the sons who are enraged at this point understand it to be inviting them to a full scale war to determine who is stronger and therefore worthy. I'll have to have a think.. That you for the suggestion though. Also I will see how hard it is to add things in shortly, hopefully not to difficult.

I guess the imperium is more lenient then I think.. killing loyal subjects even other space marines does not automatically make you a heretic. The Alpha legion should make a bunch of proxy chapters and get mad and wipe out whole sectors then say sorry lol.

I don't think its bad. In fact I am considering it. However I don't want another hard done by victim chapter. There are in my opinion too many of them already. I also am quite fond of the errors in communication, due to cultural differences angle. Just a small comment leading to war. "Settle it as warriors" means to the scythes a duel so that honour is sated, but to the sons who are enraged at this point understand it to be inviting them to a full scale war to determine who is stronger and therefore worthy. I'll have to have a think.. That you for the suggestion though. Also I will see how hard it is to add things in shortly, hopefully not to difficult.

The thing is they are not hard done by, whether they provoke the Scythes or its down to miscommunication they are still in the wrong.. But then no one needs to know how wrong until it becomes too late; you could continue the feud until the Khorne worshippers whipe out the Scythes in a bloody vendetta.

Archived