Index Astartes: Templar Guardians

No Mercy. Only Retribution!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll27/greatmaju/spacemarine.jpg

Geneseed: Imperial Fists

Homeworld, Ethrea Magnus, Ethrea Sector, Segmentum Ultima

Founding: M38

Current Strength: 1160+ Battle Brothers

About: Templar Guardians

Founded in the M38, these marines took a portion of space past the Centaurus Arm in the Ultima Segmentum.

Their Chapter Master had believed to of been killed during a brief battle with Traitor Marines, shortly before they arrived at the homeplanet. During their time, they become known to the the few forces that have fought with them as marines or martial strength, but liable to change their minds on battle tactics and even which enemy to engage. They strive to find, invent or perfect their warfare, so that they can destroy chaos, and they do the same with technology, believing that they can close the Eye of Terror.

Home Planet

Ethrea Magnus is one of three planets in the Ethrea sub-sector. It’s also the centre of the entire Ethrea sector, which is ravaged by the greenskin filth. Due to the greenskins, each planet has a large number of PDF forces, but little in the way of support from the Imperial Guard, who might take too long crossing the warp.

The Chapter Fortress is defended by 50 veterans from the First Company. It also has a standing force of Ethrean Militia for the defence for the Fortress and planet.

Organisation

The companies aren’t fixed as to what they do, apart from the company captains role, such as Master of the Fleet. As such, the companies shape their selves as to how the captain wants, so they fight on their own terms, on their strengths.

The 1st Company has no cap to the limit of marines it can take, as any who deserves to be a veteran, will be one. It numbers around 150 Veterans, as many more through the chapter as sergeants.

The second Company is known as the Crusade Company. They cannot, by Chapter Law, engage in a long drawn out crusade against any enemy, only support other companies in such campaigns. Therefore they go for skirmishes, and quicker battles with the view of destroying the enemy fast and swift.. They are the first company to answer the call for aid. And as such, they have to depart quickly. The entire chapter has not once meet up has a whole force, and they are unwilling to campaign with other chapters, least the chapters, and by extension, the Inquisition, find out their secrets.

They also send new marines around the Imperium as “Wondering Aid” to fight every opponent the Imperium can offer. Usually squads of new marines are sent out, set into the squads they will take up upon return. They have fight, kill and return home, usually hitching a lift with a rogue trader vessel to do so. This is only done at the request of either the companies chaplain, captain or the sergeant who leads the squad as this is seen as a great way of bonding the squads, and perfecting their skills against all enemies. On a more secretive note, they also collect intel and technology, as to help with their works. The latest squad was sent to the Eye of Terro, looking into the Cadia Gate.

Each company also maintains a small number of Veterans, as well as their own inducted scouts. Each numbers around 5-10 marines.

The very best veterans become part of the Honour guard. Currently numbering at ten personal guards of the Chapter Master, and ten Fortress Guards.

Recruitment

Most recruits are found by the tenth company, though in extreme times of war, another company can recruit to cover its losses, like the 3rd company during its current assault of the Chaos World.

The Guardians don’t use a single planet, and recruit from just about any where.

The process: The best the planet has is assembled as a show of force. Normally the 10th captain with attached librarian and chaplain are there to oversee the recruitment. Recruit potentials are then put through many challanges including strength of arms, blade and gun skill, and the mind, for if they cannot lead men in battle, they do not deserve to be marines. Some of the less potential are earmarked for Chapter serf work, or as part of the ethrean Fortress Militia.

All recruits train as scouts before becoming a tactical marine, then they either become part of an assault squad, devastator, bikers or other considered auxiliary support, based on their skills. The best devastators become Stenguard, and the best of the Assault teams become vanguards.

Belief.

They believe that the Emperor is no god. He has power, but is still a human. Because of this belief, they are at odds with the ones who do believe he is a god. They also believe that not every heretic needs be killed. Some can still perform a purpose.

They also cannot stand corruption. Given the chance, they will fight Chaos to the death. This has lead to a purge of a Hive Elite, as they sit at the top, with all the fine stuff, as the citizens toil underneath.

The Traitor Chapter Master is said to be building a force to crusade onto Terra, to “fix” the Emperor. What they mean by fix, no one knows. But the Inquisition believe that this might of been the original task of the chapter, given to the Traitor Master. That is to fix the Hoy Throne, or to heal the Emperor. Or maybe it was to find the lost arts of making Primarchs and Space Marines. Whether anyone else in the Chapter knows this is unknown, but is doubtful that they don’t.

This would account for the mythilogical horde of pre-heresy tech in their basement. and their vast Librarium, which is said to house heretical and xenos books alike.

Maybe this is why they believe the Emperor isn’t a god. It might also explain the way the techmarines act. Not one has been to Mars for training. They don’t pray to the machine god. Now, the machine spirit has power, but they believe that prays will only slow things down, and wont help. As such, they are not afraid to research into Xenos tech. They have been good at hiding this, as they need the help of Mars for their research.

They see the Imperium either being destroyed by Chaos, or them eradicating Chaos, removing the Eye of Terror and killing every Traitor Marine. Only then will the Emperor return.

Views on Enemies.

Orks: Filth that needs to be wiped. Their only saving grace being their ability to make almost anything work. (Hints at their possible mission to fix the Golden Throne, to heal the Emperor)

Chaos: Needs to be annihilated. No mercy on this front.

Tau: Their technology could help with the chapters research.

Necrons: They cannot reason with them, nor research the dead necrons. a shame, as the marines see their advanced ships and weapons

Eldar: Tricky xeno. The webway may yet hold the answer though, as the Traitor Master was attacking the Eldar. (A craft world is close enough). Some incredibly

rare and ancient pre-heresy/heresy documents tell that the Golden Throne wasn’t built to save the Emperor’s life, nor to keep him there for as long as it has.

Tyranids: They are not of this galaxy, but they are not useful. They do however speak as evidence of another galaxy, far away from the Light of Terra. A fact that they believe they cannot ignore. Expansion is the only way to survive. And sooner or later, some upstart xeno race will travel like the Tyranids did, and start another damn war on the Imperium. Likewise, such races and galaxies might offer new and powerful tech to help them.

Timeline

M38: Founding of Templar Guardians. Geneseed of ?, Chapter Master drawn from

?Imperial Fists?

M38: Chapter Master lost in warp on the Ship Onyx Vincib. Presumed Dead.

010.M40: Emergency Distress Beacon. Urlkre 4. 2nd Company investigates. Finds world to be held by Chaos marines. Some are wearing Templar Guardians colours.

200.M40: 8th Company respond to a distress beacon on Ethrea Major. engages Chaos fleet. Entire company presumed dead.

350.M40: Ork Assault on Ethrea Major. Ork army smashed with the efforts of the combined forces of the 7th Templar Guardians and Ethrean 7th Rifles.

700.M40: 30 Marines of 8th Company found alive. Emerges from Warp. The 70 marines, lost in the warp have believed to of turned traitor. Colour scheme taken up by other traitor marines, becoming several hundred strong.

800.M40: Inquisition becomes involved. 8th company tasked with eradication of traitors. Entire chapter tasked with eradication of Traitor Chapter Master. Otherwise they will face a purge from the Ultramarines.

500.M41: Templar Guardians engage en-mass the Chaos World of viviven at the edge of the sector. 3rd, 4th, 6th and 7th companies engage. Vivivin reported to be base of Traitor Guardians, Calling themselves the Throne Desolators.

900.M41: Necron Presence seen. Tomb World nearby. Templar Guardians engage

so, what do you think?

EDIT: 19/1/2011: Updated Geneseed. Organisation. A small step. I plan on editing their Great Works, so you can perhaps better understand what they may of been created to do in the first place.

Just saying people will likely give you trouble for having an unknown gene seed.

Since you say it's reportedly Imperial Fists or Ultramarines just pick one, they kinda give me a fists vibe anyway. Like many others have said, the AdMech keeps reall good records on these things and having an unknown gene seed just doesnt happen that much and looks bad.

I know it is only in note form, but I found the entire concept extremely sporadic and like a little kid with too much energy, bouncing about all over the place without any real reason or linkages. You mention "Traitor Chapter Master" like it is a massively important thing, but never bother to tell us who he is. There seems to be too much going on, maybe this will work when it becomes diluted by a real article, but at the moment it is too much too quickly.

The Chapter Fortress is defended by 50 veterans from the First Company, as well as around 90 marines from the other 9. It also has a standing force of Ethrean Militia as defence for the Fortress and planet.

That is a lot of men to be stationed on the homeworld all the time. In a standard chapter, that is a half of the best fighting men in the chapter and then a tenth of the remaining marines, nearly one seventh of the chapter - that is a lot of men.

The second Company is known as the Crusade Company. They cannot, by Chapter Law, engage in a long drawn out conflict, only support other companies in such battles. Therefore they go for skirmishes, and quicker battles. Ending them fast.

This seems a little unfeasable. Remember, Marines will rarely deploy in vast numbers - a typical strikeforce might be at the most half a company. In addition, Space Marines rarely get caught in prolonged, drawn-out engagements as that is the task of the Imperial Guard. Astartes crash down to earth, grab, kill and murder, and get out before the enemy has had time to eat :teehee:

Most recruits are found by the tenth company, though in extreme times of war, another company can recruit to cover its losses, like the 3rd company during its current assault of the Chaos World.

Recruiting a Space Marine isn't like recruiting a Guardsmen. It ain't pick him up, bang him in a suit of armour and point in the direction of the enemy. It takes at least 6 years for the organs to be transplanted, and even then, it takes the special focus of the Apothecaries and their machines.

I agree with ferrata it is almost in a outline instead of written out, although it seems you know what you want to do. I would just try to expand on your outline and go into deeper details on certain things that has great potential, such as their belief system.

I know it is only in note form, but I found the entire concept extremely sporadic and like a little kid with too much energy, bouncing about all over the place without any real reason or linkages. You mention "Traitor Chapter Master" like it is a massively important thing, but never bother to tell us who he is. There seems to be too much going on, maybe this will work when it becomes diluted by a real article, but at the moment it is too much too quickly.

Heh. Should of seen the quick notes I have for them. But yes, you're right. its a very rough draft. Which is also all over the place. I am still deciding on the name for the traitor chapter master.

The Chapter Fortress is defended by 50 veterans from the First Company, as well as around 90 marines from the other 9. It also has a standing force of Ethrean Militia as defence for the Fortress and planet.
That is a lot of men to be stationed on the homeworld all the time. In a standard chapter, that is a half of the best fighting men in the chapter and then a tenth of the remaining marines, nearly one seventh of the chapter - that is a lot of men.

It is a lot, but its not like their sitting watching the tv. They are truly out in the edge of the imperium, so their home planet has been assault numerous times. Also, due to the fact that the 1st company has no current cap, it numbers at 150, with out taking into account the single squads in each company.

Though perhaps the 90 additional marines are too much. I'm not sure how other chapters man their fortress.

The second Company is known as the Crusade Company. They cannot, by Chapter Law, engage in a long drawn out conflict, only support other companies in such battles. Therefore they go for skirmishes, and quicker battles. Ending them fast.

This seems a little unfeasable. Remember, Marines will rarely deploy in vast numbers - a typical strikeforce might be at the most half a company. In addition, Space Marines rarely get caught in prolonged, drawn-out engagements as that is the task of the Imperial Guard. Astartes crash down to earth, grab, kill and murder, and get out before the enemy has had time to eat ;)

by drawn out conflicts, I didn't mean a single large battle, but rather a few smaller ones, against a single enemy. The second have to be ready to just up and move if they get a call for aid. Also remember, Imperial Guard forces aren't in great numbers, and aid might take far too long. So the marines have to stop the advance of enemy armies before they can amass.

Recruiting a Space Marine isn't like recruiting a Guardsmen. It ain't pick him up, bang him in a suit of armour and point in the direction of the enemy. It takes at least 6 years for the organs to be transplanted, and even then, it takes the special focus of the Apothecaries and their machines.

True, but I'm sure other chapters don't have a single company for recruitment and training. The tenth does this, but the other companies can recruit, if, as I have said, they need to. They still won't pick up anyone. I also understand that it isn't instant, but sometimes the tenth is not available and the others are far too depleted. Basically you could consider every company to be crusading. Taking the fight to the enemy. Destroying the command structure. For this, they may take several years in short battles, getting through to the head, or just to find out their base of operations. If they have one.

I agree with ferrata it is almost in a outline instead of written out, although it seems you know what you want to do. I would just try to expand on your outline and go into deeper details on certain things that has great potential, such as their belief system.
Thank you. Yes, as I said. its still a first draft. Many things may need to be dropped, or added.

Just saying people will likely give you trouble for having an unknown gene seed.

Since you say it's reportedly Imperial Fists or Ultramarines just pick one, they kinda give me a fists vibe anyway. Like many others have said, the AdMech keeps reall good records on these things and having an unknown gene seed just doesnt happen that much and looks bad.

Okay. fists it is. I couldn't decide myself. And they aren't too sure at the chapters records either. And asking the Ad Mech for help might raise a few eyebrows.

I like it.

Provided they keep what they are doing a secret they will get nothing but odd looks from the Scions of Mars.

Also pragmatism is good.

Glad you like it.

They will at least try to keep it secret. Being out on the edge helps. Not many visitors. Although I do wonder what would happen if they was involved in a large apocalyptic defense with several other chapters. Would be harder to keep things secret. Perhaps They just wont do it... Hmm

I'll be working all this over. Maybe rewritting parts of it. Changing Geneseed to Imperial Fists though.

Archived