IT: Iron Guards

The Shiny One

Well, I' am back with a new idea for my renegade chapter. As they should end up being heavily transformed and self absorbed, i tried building them around the Iron Hands geneseed for obvious reasons.

Here is the concept:

An Iron Hand successor has so high standards for there recruits that they cant find a proper homeworld. They come across a space hulk populated by the Dark Mechanicus, after they purge it they decide to build there fortress monastery on the space hulk but this leads to a conflict with the Adeptus Mechanicus, who want the space hulk for themselves (and/or they feel betrayed by the Ad Mech because they didn't warn them of the great power the forces of the dark mechanicus had). So the "Resoluters" break with the Cult Mechanicus and are forced to search for other ways to supply there armory. Being on a ex-Dark Mechanicus base, this leads them to forbidden technologies, which forces the inquisition over time to excommunicate them. (The forbidden technologies could be cloning or resurrection, so that they over come there bad recruitment. Or just making there armor and weapons better with warptech)

So in short: they are Iron Hands, that don't like the Adeptus Mechanicus on a Space Hulk

What do you think does this have potential? Or major flaws? Please let me know!

Here is the narrative, which explains there Origin, Homeworld and Fall: (I moved it here, for better overview)

The Origin

At the start of the fifth century in M32, during the 5th Space Marine Founding, the Iron Hands were task to build a new successor chapter that should guard the sectors around the Maelstrom, as more and more heretic, xenos and pirates started to terrorize the trait routs and Imperial planets.

The Great Council of Iron Hands decided that Iron Father Garthor Betron of the Furgaarl Clan Company should be in charge of the training process.

The Iron Father was one of the more merciless Iron Hands, very ruthless regarding weakness and with very high standards for the new Marines the Adpetus Mechanicus had created. Out of this hundreds he choice the ten promising, to each lead a full battle company, like the Iron Hands and there Clan Companies. Because of there task to mostly fight in orbit, companies with only one purpose, like the 8th, 9th and 10th had no use. As no one of the ten Brothers was better than the others, he didn't numerize them, instead he named the companies simply Brotherhoods. Conversely to show honor and gratitude these new Captains decided to establish Iron Fathers of there own, to keep on there mentors tradition.

After a century of honorable fights agains the Emperors enemies around the Maelstrom, the mighty Iron Father Garthor decide that the Chapter, now known as the Iron Guards, were capable of fighting on there own and returned with his retinue to the Iron Hands. As a last exercise to fully become a Space Marine Chapter he send them on a quest to find a proper homeworld. The Iron Guards splited there Chapter Fleet of ten Strike Cruisers up in six parts to operate more independent but not without support of there brothers.

Finding a suitable planet with worthy recruits was not easy for the Iron Guards, because they reflected the high demands there mentor had on them, onto the inhabitants of these worlds. So not willingly but forced, the Iron Guards stayed a cruising chapter and only recruited the sons of great heroes on the planets the passed by.

The Behemoth of Malediction

In the beginning of M33 three Brotherhoods were instructed by the Adeptus Mechanicus to purge a mysterious space hulk called Behemoth of Malediction. Used to clean space hulks of Orks and three companies heavy, the Iron Guard engaged it immediately. However they would learn that this was a mistake: the space hulk was not populated by savage green creatures but by unholy, metallic constructs with powerful weapons, that resembled in an odd way there fellow believers of the Adpetus Mechanicus. Taking to many casualties the Iron Guards had to retreat. Slightly shocked by this event the Captains called for instantaneous support of there Chapter Brothers. The Iron Guards believed to overcome this disgrace, they had to purge every last on of this foul traitors. So with the combined power of all Brotherhoods the Iron Guards were able to purge the space hulk of all its inhabitants, they were evan able to reach down to the heart of the Behemoth to turn of the warp engines to prevent it from uncoordinated warp jumps.

To honor there fallen brothers of this most violent battle in the history of the Chapter, the Iron Guards decided to build a giant monument on the space hulk. To prevent the recurrence of such a disaster they even started training on the space hulk.

When the Magi of the Adeptus Mechanicus heard of the capture of the Behemoth of Malediction they demanded from the Iron Guard to hand it over immediately. Offended by the harsh tone of this request and because they weren't want properly before there attack, the Iron Guards denied. Unwilling to wast military resources against a Space Marine Chapter, the Magi decided to simply blackmail the Iron Guards by refusing to supply them until they would hand over the Behemoth.

Being proud Space Marines, who just wanted to honor there fallen Brothers, the Iron Guard saw this as an insult and even as betrayal.

As Sons of Ferrus Manus, the Iron Guards believed in there capability to maintain there forge and in the knowledge of there mighty Iron Fathers, and therefor decided not to comply to the mercy of the Magi.

The Excommunication

Now bound to the Behemoth of Malediction the Chapter choose to settle on it and began building there Fortress Monastery. To there surprise the space hulk itself contained a lot of precious materials, which made this task easier than expected. Combined with the goods and weapons the Iron Guards captured from the pirates and heretics they still defeated in the name of the Emperor, they Iron Guards were quite capable of supplying themselves. The only real problem though was the supply of recruits and the biological resources needed to transform them, so the Iron Guards started to use more and more of the Chapters time to find new ways to improve there armor and to find better ways to heal there wounded Brothers.

Broken with the Children of Mars, the Iron Fathers had stopped teaching the Cult Mechanicus. Without this parochial belief system, the Iron Guards slowly liberated themselves from the restrictions on the use of technology, which opened there minds to explore the secrets and power the Behemoth of Malediction carried in its catacombs.

After some time the Adpetus Mechanicus convinced the Inquisition to interrogate the Iron Guards on grounds of abnormalities in there Geneseed, but really they were just envious, that the Iron Guards were able to survive somehow on there own. Tasked with this investigation was Inquisitor Leonhart ven Strakh, who had his own suspicions, on grounds of a significant decline in battle engagements from the Iron Guards. At this period the Iron Guards had already started to improve there weapons and armor with warp tainted materials, making there armor and flesh more durable and there weapons more invidious.

As the Inquisitor arrived on the Behemoth, he was surprised how willingly and proudly the Iron Guards showed him there alterations. The Inquisitor acted stunned and even complimented them on there achievements. Nevertheless for himself he came to the only plausible conclusion, that the whole Chapter must have fallen to chaos and gone totally insane. So as soon as he had left the space hulk, he declared them excommunicates and his Inquisitorial Conclav ordered the Grey Knights to purge the heretics. In the moment the Grey Knights fleet came out of the warp the Iron Guards realized that the considerate Inquisitor had betrayed them. Because they knew that a fight with the Grey Knights would not end well, they decided to flee by turning on the warp engines of the Behemoth. As a decoy and because they knew that they are unable to control the jumps of the space hulk, they sent all of there empty strike cruisers on a collision course with the adversarial fleet. Luckily for them this scenario worked and the Behemoth of Malediction vanished before the Grey Knights were able to board. Unfortunately though two of there Brotherhoods were not so lucky and got annihilated, because they were fighting off some Elder Pirates on the other side of the Maelstrom and therefore unable to flee the rage of the Grey Knights.

The Transformation

The surviving Iron Guards were seething with rage about the betrayal, which had come over them. So they swore revenge on these traitors to honor there fallen Brothers. Over the next few millennia they perfected there abilities and knowledge about the Maletek Incarna and stopped completely to care for the pitiful humans, they once swore to protect. As they still are bound to the Behemoth by destiny and often in the unfriendly realms of the warp, they kept the millennia mostly to themselves, which resulted in a complete lost of there individuality and total devotion to there Brothers. There only drive seems to be the quest for knowledge and there hate against the Institutions of the Imperium. Though they don't worship any Chaos Gods, they still are heavily influenced by the warp and keep trade with its inhabitants, if it bears any advantages. The common hate and experiences they bear together with the Traitor Legions lets them join forces from time to time, but they still regard Daemons and Chaos worshipers as beneath them.

And here is a first draft for the sections of the IA (Edit: this changed a little bit, because the focus was to much on the original Iron Guards and not on the traitors, they now are):

Origins

- The Resoluters were founded during the 5th founding (I wanted a early chapter so that the transformation has more time to grow).

- They were tasked to secure the trade routes in the area around the maelstrom, fighting of traitor and xeno pirates, heretic cults that seem to emerge more often in this area and clean it of xeno cultures that hide near the storm.

- They are straight successors of the Iron Hands.

(I guess the story, how they end up on a space hulk comes in this section?)

Homeworld

- As every chapter starts out fleet based, they were on a quest to find a proper homeworld but couldn't find one, because they regarded normal humans as to weak.

- They focus mainly on boarding missions they didn't see this as a flaw, because of the mobility that was needed. (I figured that they would settle on the space hulk, because it seems to by like a small mobile planet perfect for training boarding missions and because they had so many casualties purging it. So to honor there fallen brothers they decide to settle on the space hulk.

Combat Doctrine

- They rely mostly on there infantry, because they fight mainly boarding missions. As they are a very young chapter, perhaps they dont even have dreadnoughts (and perhaps because there parent chapter the Iron Hands has non to spare).

- They like shock attacks with full force and therefore train for fast deployment. They don't prefer close or ranged combat.

- The greatest battle they fought was the cleansing of the space hulk (perhaps I name it Doombringer?)

Organisation

- To honor there training cadre they adopted the clan influenced chapter organisation, but change it to 9 Brotherhoods commanded by Ironfathers, therefor they don't have real chaplains. 9 Brotherhoods so that the Chapter Council doesn't end up in a tie, and Brotherhood because they dont recruit from one planet and see themselves more as one unity than competing clans.

- Every Brotherhood has its own Strike Cruiser, and as its a very young chapter they don't have Battle Barges.

- As not many aspirants reach there high standards of will power the Resoluters have agreat number of servitors, as these individuals end up becoming the chapters servitors.

Beliefs

- They don't fear there own flesh as a weakness because of its genetic improvement, but they still see machines and bionics as superior.

- They belief that normal humans bear a great danger to the Imperium as they are not trained to withstand the Chaos, therefor they see machines and space marines as the superior beings.

- They have a enormous loyalty to there brothers and therefor recognize betrayal as the greatest sin.

- Because of the Ironfathers there tie with the Cult Mechanicus was quite strong, but after the Adpetus Mechanicus "betrayed" them they broke completely with this belief-system and teach now a more tolerant way of technology, mainly out of there need to supply themselves.

- Over the millennia there hate for the limiting Adeptus Mechanicus and the betrayal of the Imperium (the ex communication of there finest warriors) grew and grew, they even started believing that there parent chapter, which they honored before, has become only a poor puppet of the restricting believes of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Geneseed

- They are descendants of Ferrus Manus.

- There are no known mutations in the chapters geneseed, but over time they seem to have lost there grip on humanity and started only caring for themselves.

Battle Cry

- Before they disembark they scream to each others: "Brothers!? Battle!!!"

I know its not well written, but I definitely will work on it.

And one big question: how could a break with the Adeptus Mechanicus look like? Do they just lose there supply of ammunition or could the Ad Mech even refuse to supply organs for the recruitment? Do you know any material were this is explained?

And as for the name, I kind of like the on word names, but I dont know if "Resoluters" or "Resolutors" sounds good to native speakers. I think "Resolators" would sound better but loses to much of its derivation from "resolute". Or I could imagine naming them simply Iron/Golden/Brazen Fist or something (to honor there linage) and let them change it after they turn there backs on the Imperium.

I like Iron Guard personally. Responses can take a while - the Liber is not a subforum that generates quick responses, but they're generally pretty good once they come.

I'm by far the quickest poster, but I've been crying in the corner over my inability to properly construct an IA that makes grammatical sense :lol:

"Iron Guard" sounds cool, just don't use the word "...Rangers" or I will forever think of the Power Rangers.

I have to admit that Iron Guard sounds quite good, but unfortunately there is a historical one, and they were bad!

Iron Guard on Wiki

I dont really want to be associated with them.But there symbol was quite nice.

Somehow the name Dark Hands grows more and more on me, just putting Iron Hands and Dark Mechanicus together, but it is kind of obvious. And Rangers would fit, for there task of hunting down pirates and securing the Space. I see no difference between Ranger and Marine, except that the Eldar do have them too.

Over all, I quite like your concept.

I think your biggest challenge will be to make them stand out from the actual Iron Hands, while keeping them believable and non-bland.

Evil Iron Hands should not be a fitting description of your chapter when you finish the IT!

I also believe you should spend less time considering how they were before they turned renegade, and maybe think a little more about they deal with the :) - load of trouble they'll be in after being excommunicated.

Otherwise you'll end up spending a lot of time on something generally not important.

Origins

- The Resoluters were founded during the 5th founding (I wanted a early chapter so that the transformation has more time to grow).

Don't think you needs to, but that's your call :P

- They were tasked to secure the trade routes in the area around the maelstrom, fighting of traitor and xeno pirates, heretic cults that seem to emerge more often in this area and clean it of xeno cultures that hide near the storm.

Maybe the storm is where they hide after turning to the Dark SideTM?

I guess the story, how they end up on a space hulk comes in this section?

Sure, or you could make a separate History section, but no matter what it should be kept brief and to the point.

What actually happened isn't terribly interesting, but the consequences are!

Homeworld

- As every chapter starts out fleet based, they were on a quest to find a proper homeworld but couldn't find one, because they regarded normal humans as to weak.

That's a little harsh, even the Iron Hands have a home world...

But keeping them fleet based is fine.

If having a homeworld doesn't add anything to your chapter, don't give them one.

- They focus mainly on boarding missions they didn't see this as a flaw, because of the mobility that was needed.

If they mainly engage pirates, renegades and xenos in open space battle, it seems logical that they would somewhat specialize in this.

No need to excuse it.

I figured that they would settle on the space hulk, because it seems to by like a small mobile planet perfect for training boarding missions and because they had so many casualties purging it. So to honor there fallen brothers they decide to settle on the space hulk.

Well, this is the part I'm having trouble with... A space hulk, ins't really a nice place to live.

It's terribly hard to control and it's basically a living (hostile) environment with sections collapsing and caving in at a minute's notice.

Plus it's warptainted and filthy (which actually isn't such a problem for your chapter)!

Maybe instead of settling on the Space Hulk (as a substitute for a homeworld), make them refuse to hand it over to the Ad Mech?

That would certainly cause a lot of tension between the two factions and could be the main reason for the break you require?

Having your chapter defend their spoils of war (or their new cemetery depending on how you look at it) by shooting at Ad Mech negotiators would be a fine way of getting the Ordos Hereticus and a heretic-brand on your back.

And then they could flee with the hulk, into the maelstrom ;)

Combat Doctrine

- They rely mostly on there infantry, because they fight mainly boarding missions. As they are a very young chapter, perhaps they dont even have dreadnoughts (and perhaps because there parent chapter the Iron Hands has non to spare).

Fine, maybe they have Grand Theft Dreadnought on their agenda?

- They like shock attacks with full force and therefore train for fast deployment. They don't prefer close or ranged combat.

Maybe a bit superfluous?

- The greatest battle they fought was the cleansing of the space hulk (perhaps I name it Doombringer?)

I know, but I don't like that name...

Don't know why, but I think something with coffin or grave in it would be better.

Boils down to personal taste I guess.

Again, remember that they are renegades while writing this section!!

No need to mention what they did before they were corrupted.

Organisation

- To honor there training cadre they adopted the clan influenced chapter organisation, but change it to 9 Brotherhoods commanded by Ironfathers, therefor they don't have real chaplains. 9 Brotherhoods so that the Chapter Council doesn't end up in a tie, and Brotherhood because they dont recruit from one planet and see themselves more as one unity than competing clans.

Remember what I said about being renegade?

We don't need to know what they used to do!

Tell us how they cope with not having a steady source of gene-seed and power armour!

How do they get supplies? How do they maintain their equipment for that matter?

- Every Brotherhood has its own Strike Cruiser, and as its a very young chapter they don't have Battle Barges.

I thought they were fifth founding?

That's not terribly young...

It's likely they would have lost some of their ships before fleeing to safety (and afterwards), but right now that doesn't make sense.

- As not many aspirants reach there high standards of will power the Resoluters have agreat number of servitors, as these individuals end up becoming the chapters servitors.

I assume you mean chaos-corrupted-warptainted-amalgies-of-man-and-machine-sevitors of hell?

Oh, and cultist?

Beliefs

- They don't fear there own flesh as a weakness because of its genetic improvement, but they still see machines and bionics as superior.

- They belief that normal humans bear a great danger to the Imperium as they are not trained to withstand the Chaos, therefor they see machines and space marines as the superior beings.

- They have a enormous loyalty to there brothers and therefor recognize betrayal as the greatest sin.

Chaos, renegade, traitors... meen anything to you? ;)

Maybe have them prefer machines because they are more efficient in combat, etc.

No respect for humanity, since they are weak, frail and only deserves to be sacrificed upon the alter of laughing gods that thirst for their souls?

- Because of the Ironfathers there tie with the Cult Mechanicus was quite strong, but after the Adpetus Mechanicus "betrayed" them they broke completely with this belief-system and teach now a more tolerant way of technology, mainly out of there need to supply themselves.

Beg your pardon? Tolerant doesn't really sound appropriate in this context.

We're talking about renegades, chaos and traitors, remember.

- Over the millennia there hate for the limiting Adeptus Mechanicus and the betrayal of the Imperium (the ex communication of there finest warriors) grew and grew, they even started believing that there parent chapter, which they honored before, has become only a poor puppet of the restricting believes of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Sounds fine.

Embracing chaos can be quite an eye-opener!

Oh, and it's called their when you refer to something owned by someone ('their hate', 'their parent chapter' etc.).

There is a place ('over there', 'there on the table', etc.).

Small matter, but kind of annoying :)

Geneseed

- They are descendants of Ferrus Manus.

Fine.

- There are no known mutations in the chapters geneseed, but over time they seem to have lost there grip on humanity and started only caring for themselves.

Could that have something to do with them being traitors and renegades?

Honestly I don't think gene-seed mutation matters much if you live in a warp-storm.

Battle Cry

- Before they disembark they scream to each others: "Brothers!? Battle!!!"

Not sure about that one, kind of bland and a little sporty. Sounds a bit like something a football team would say :P

Maybe think of something more fitting, and a little evil.

And one big question: how could a break with the Adeptus Mechanicus look like? Do they just lose there supply of ammunition or could the Ad Mech even refuse to supply organs for the recruitment? Do you know any material were this is explained?

I depends. I imagine initially you could be cut of supplies, but if you refuse to yield to the Ad Mech they could quite easily arrange for some really bad stuff to happen for you.

Up to and including blaming you for attacking them, which would almost certainly result in excommunication, unless your chapter's got a lot of support from their peers.

And as for the name, I kind of like the on word names, but I dont know if "Resoluters" or "Resolutors" sounds good to native speakers. I think "Resolators" would sound better but loses to much of its derivation from "resolute". Or I could imagine naming them simply Iron/Golden/Brazen Fist or something (to honor there linage) and let them change it after they turn there backs on the Imperium.

I think Iron Guard is quite nice.

Doesn't matter that there was some romanian party by the same name in the thirties...

And even then, the actual Iron Guards sounds like an evil, traitorous, military organization, that used the words legion and chapter in reference to themselves and meditated before going to battle...

I hope you get my drift ;)

Seriously don't worry, I don't think anyone would be offended. It's far to generic a name for that to happen.

Well, all in all I think you're on to something.

But remember, for the love of the Emperor (or chaos in your case), you are making an Index Traitoris, about a band of evil, scheming, chaos worshipping, renegade murderers!

Don't use all your creative energy in describing how they used to be, because it will only have a minor impact on what you are going for.

Tell us what happened after they ran off with that space hulk!

Something to think about :)

S**t my browser ate the post I was tipping! So in short thank you for your help I will consider all of your arguments! and I am glad that somebody liked it.

Edit: I now have written a story, but I have to sleep over it and read it one more time, to minimize my faults.

Well here is now the Index Traitoris story, how the Iron Guards turned there back on the Imperium. I really hope you like it, and let my apologize in advance for the many mistakes it bears. I have no one to prove read it, but asure you I tried my best. Some words I simply translated, so please let my now, if i picked the wrong word.

Edit: I moved this to the first post, so that everyone can find it easier....

So thats it for now. Please let my know what you think! Just write what you like or hate, I am not asking you to respond to every detail, unless you really want to, then you are very welcome.

Here are some pre-excommunication color schemes for the Iron Guards. I know they are kind of boring but as they are direct Iron Hand successors, who honor there fathers, this is what I came up with.

sm.php?b62c=@hZNeQ_i87oH.hbRYghmmn0hmmn0@@.h1VNS.hoziq.h1VNS@@@@___________hIZF6hIZF6@@hIZF6hIZF6hIZF6hIZF6hIZF6@@@@@.hoziq@@_.h1VNS.__.@hmmn0hmmn0@iakk7hoHBd&grid=TRUEsm.php?b62c=@haLvy_i87oH.hIZF6hmmn0hmmn0@@hbRYg@@hoziqhbRYgh1VNS@@@iakk7___________..@@.....@@@@@hbRYghoziq@@_hbRYg@@__hbRYg@hmmn0hmmn0@iakk7hoHBd&grid=TRUE

There post excommunication armor will look more like liquid metal that has a colorful glow to it. I imagen it like oxidized bismuth. As there is no possibility with the SM Painter and my Photoshop skills are not good enough to create this, you have to imagine it by yourself, hopefully I can build the models someday, but that could take some time.

The Chapter Badge will be some variation of this but perhaps only with 4 lines that cross and not a symmetrical ending. This I can do in Photoshop and will.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/34/Guardiadehierro.jpg/180px-Guardiadehierro.jpg

I don't mean 'pop' in a way that inspires a rather happy and camp colour palette.

I mean there are colours and shades that complement each other and work rather well together.

I can't say this of the Iron Hands themselves since their scheme is one shared by dozens of other chapters. It's black.

Even the Black Templars take black and use others to give it a bit of character. The almost luminous white of their accents and helmet colours, along with the use of metallics in the chains, censers and other accessories as well as a splash of bright red here and there really lifts the entire thing.

What I mean by 'pop' is really a combination that works well off each other. A successor isn't bound by the colours of their parent chapter.

I know they aren't bound, but as they will change anyways I though it would be nice to resemble them more. And doesn't the White compliment the Black anyways?

And later they will try to make them look like this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2600/404373..._d01a49f923.jpg

http://www.spectrum-scientifics.com/PDGImages/1300.jpg

http://www.todayandtomorrow.net/wp-content...9/bismuth_1.jpg

So they get a nurgel (molten) and tzeentch (colorful) feel to them.

Archived