IA: Exculpators

Brother Argent

Exculpators Outline v1.

Origins:

Founded during the 3rd/4th founding from White Scar Geneseed.

Founding Chapter Master was alive during the Heresy, believes humanity failed and is thus tainted.

Originally crusading Chapter that follows Codex.

Sent to safeguard against Chaos.

Whilst fighting Orks on long lost human world come across suitable homeworld.

Continue endless crusade against Chaos.

Homeworld:

Desert World with hive cities scattered throughout on arable areas.

“Civilised” Imperials live in cities. Desert tribes live in the areas between.

Think Crusader State setup almost

When Chapter arrived planet under orkish control.

Corrupt ex-Imperial Officials work with orks to rule people.

Slave revolt starting in the desert led by Ahkmere, a desert tribesman.

Ahkmere in the process of cleansing cities of Orks and corrupt people, but is being slowly beaten by orks.

Chapter arrives and helps rebels win.

Chapter Master sees in Ahkmere’s rebels people struggling against the inherent sin of mankind, decides to set up shop.

Chapter builds fortress monastery in the heart of the City of the Dead, Sakkara, a vast city of tombs.

Initiates must brave the desert to join Chapter.

Beliefs:

Believe that Horus’ temptation to Chaos and the subsequent Heresy as well as humanities inability to save the Emperor during the Heresy has tainted humanity.

Most humans aren’t worth saving, as they never try to overcome sin and redeem themselves.

Feel it is their duty to save humanity and teach people the error of their ways and that they should fight to redeem themselves.

Disdainful of other Imperial Orginisations such as Administratum whom do not attempt to fight to redeem themselves. Respect for the SoB and some Space Marine Chapters, however not keen on others.

Inquisition to scheming.

All Traitors that can be captured are taken and tortured until they confess and and beg for forgiveness. They are brought to “understand their transgressions” before being executed.

All Traitors must be killed before humanity can be saved.

General Thoughts:

Main theme is crusading guys whom have become so caught up in their desire to stamp out sin that they have started to go over the edge of what they were supposed to do (becoming more like their enemy with each campaign).

They desire to protect humanity but are going about It the wrong way.

Wont kill civilians for not fighting etc like some more extreme Chapters, just less liekly to help them first.

Possible religious influence (teaching Imperial citizens they are tainted etc.)

Travel around in small crusades, returning to homeworld when done.

Possible maintain Bike honour guard for WS heritage.

Codex in structure, not all bikey like WS.

Interesting starting point, but immediately raises several questions about how these guys interact with the rest of the Imperium, which no doubt will become clarified in the fuller version. I can't imagine they grab every human they see and torture them to death?

Not in the immediate sense, no. More along the lines of everyone is guilty, everyone is tainted by sin. By their actions thy can remove this sin. If they don't try to, then why should we try to save them.

Traitors, on the other hand, yep toturing confessions is all the rage.

This is rather interesting. I'm not averse to this type of mentality but it raises a few questions.

By their actions thy can remove this sin. If they don't try to, then why should we try to save them.

Do they simply ignore those in need who they deem to be 'not trying' hard enough or those that have in the past not tried quite as much as the chapters expectations would have liked them to?

This would also seriously affect their interaction with other Imperial organizations I'd think.

Also, how do they view other chapters? Hell, how do they view the Astartes in general (traitors excluded)?

• 2 weeks later...
Main theme is crusading guys whom have become so caught up in their desire to stamp out sin that they have started to go over the edge of what they were supposed to do (becoming more like their enemy with each campaign).

YOu didn't answer me! :HQ:

Also this, I like this.

Though the best question is 'how'. How did they come to believe this?

YOu didn't answer me! :)

Also this, I like this.

Though the best question is 'how'. How did they come to believe this?

On the how I seee it more of a slow jading of the Chapters view. They are fightingh the same sorts of enemies, trying to save the same sorts of people and whreever they go humanity is still the same broken sinful thing. After a while they just start to get fed up with it all. After all, if you go out of your way to show someone the right way of doing things. If you put you and your brothers lives on the line repeatedly for the same cause and the people that you did it for just go back to what they were doing, your just going to get fed up of trying. So instead of whiping the floor with the enemy then telling the Imperial citizen he's going to hell if he doesn't fight next time you just blow the hell out of the traitor and if the civillian gets in the way then he should have taken your advice last time and fought better.

As for how they view other Astartes I think it would depend on the Chapter. Chapters such as the Fists or even your Blazing Sons I feel they would get along with cordially, as they se them as marines trying to whipe out Chaos and the Great Sin. Someone like the Soul Drinkers or even in a sense the Blood Angels and their lot they are not going to play nice as they see them as too caught up in their own troubles to do what they should be doing. Duty till Death. Salvation through sacrifice. That sort of thing.

I dont know the ideas are there but they are getting jumbled again. They are now falling more into warrior MONKS as opposed to WARRIOR monks so I dont know. They are there but they are not coming out as I want them too. Might have to sit down and have a good think on these boys...

Right then. *Cracks knuckles* Let's see what contributions I can make to this discussion. :cuss

Exculpators Outline v1.

Origins:

Founded during the 3rd/4th founding from White Scar Geneseed.

Founding Chapter Master was alive during the Heresy, believes humanity failed and is thus tainted.

Doesn't that make the guy really, really old? Like, even for an Astartes?

Originally crusading Chapter that follows Codex.

Sent to safeguard against Chaos.

Whilst fighting Orks on long lost human world come across suitable homeworld.

Continue endless crusade against Chaos.

Not sure how fighting orks leads to an anti-chaos crusade, to be honest.

But I appreciate this is early days yet, and there's plenty of expansion yet to be done. ^_^

Corrupt ex-Imperial Officials work with orks to rule people.

:)

Orks, ruling people? Why'd they bother? They'd just leave and find someone to fight instead, wouldn't they?

Chapter builds fortress monastery in the heart of the City of the Dead, Sakkara, a vast city of tombs.

Initiates must brave the desert to join Chapter.

Nice touch.

Believe that Horus’ temptation to Chaos and the subsequent Heresy as well as humanities inability to save the Emperor during the Heresy has tainted humanity.

Dude, awesome. Not the bad sort of awesome, either. :P

Definite 'original sin' vibes with this idea.

Most humans aren’t worth saving, as they never try to overcome sin and redeem themselves.

Feel it is their duty to save humanity and teach people the error of their ways and that they should fight to redeem themselves.

Neat. Very neat.

More like their enemy in what way?

Brother Stan made a really nifty horned helmet that he can't wait to wear?

Possible religious influence (teaching Imperial citizens they are tainted etc.)

Preachy marines are always fun, especially when the brain starts ticking and you realise what they preach won't really work for normal humans as well as it does Astartes. :P

Possible maintain Bike honour guard for WS heritage.

Codex in structure, not all bikey like WS.

I've seen that idea somewhere else today. :P More power to you for using it though.

Bikey Honour Guard is a nice touch, too. ^_^

The orks ruling people idea is something I saw a while ago. Basically if the people dont offer up a "good enuf fight" (excuse the orkish) then the orks would likelky enslave the population to use much the same as they use grots, to make bigger and better weapons, to eat and to test the bigger better weapons on.

And in regards to more like enemy basically they were made to protect humanity from big bad guys killing them. No they basically have, over time, got to the point where if humanity doesn't potect itself then they wont try either. And they have some nasty ways to make you learn the "right" way of doing hings and can be pretty, uh, persuasive otherwise.

Archived