IT: Serpent Corsairs

Dosjetka

So, as I don't want to fail the first month, I'll just post up my rough ideas for tearing apart here.

-> Chaos worshipping Marines, started out as simple renegades.

-> very little armour (to difficult and expensive to maintain and keep in working order).

-> worship Chaos as a whole, though aren't as devout as the Word Bearers or The Sanctified.

-> frequently raid other Astartes forces (Loyalist or Traitor) to steal needed equipment.

-> based in the EoT and in the far reaches of the Halo Stars (?).

-> corsairs, pirates, reavers => selfish, caring only for their own survival.

-> due to their frequent exposure to the Warp and daemonic possession, the Corsair's gene-seed has become somewhat corrupted => usually steal the corpses of enemy Astartes to reap their gene-seed.

-> use bikes rather than Rhinos and Razorbacks. Do have a handful of TDA suits used for boarding actions. No jump packs or support vehicles (Predators, Vindicators, Whirlwinds, Land Raiders). Use Dreadnoughts for for short-range support instead.

-> after their fall, fled to the EoT. After nearly being completely annihilated during the Galathmite Treachery (will develop this later on), they flee to the northern parts of Segmentum Tempestus => loads of Warp Storms to hide amongst (?)

-> before the start of the raids by the Corsairs on the shipping lanes and trading routes of the Xath sector, the Karnak Merchant House had the monopoly over these. Due to attacks, their monopoly fell, letting lesser Merchant Houses replace the dwindled Karnak's. Not knowing the nature of the pirates due to the lack of survivors, Baron Maximillian Karnak offered a hefty sum to any man or alien to bring him the head of the so-called Serpent Lord. Many tried, none of them stayed alive long and those who by luck managed to survive the encounter with the Corsairs were found dead shortly after. The way the victims died is not officially known, but rumours abound about identical fang marks being found on the victim's left ankle. (more to come)

So, nothing very flashy or original, but it's a start.

C&C appreciated.

Ludovic

Nothing seems out of place at the moment. It would be quite simple to explain their lack of armour with their motives. If they are raiders, attempting to steal a tank doesn't make it quick. If they don't have a base, they don't have a forge to make tanks.

As an aside, I wonder what my Corsairs Serpentis would say if they met these guys. Probably nothing, more in the way of exchanging mass-reactive bolter rounds than words. :D

Given the size and scope of the 40k 'verse I'd not be surprised if the two groups existed totally without knowledge of one another. Be rather amusing meeting though, in my twisted mind. :D

Got anything else on these blokes yet Ludovic? There isn't much to C&C otherwise.

As an aside, I wonder what my Corsairs Serpentis would say if they met these guys. Probably nothing, more in the way of exchanging mass-reactive bolter rounds than words. :D

Given the size and scope of the 40k 'verse I'd not be surprised if the two groups existed totally without knowledge of one another. Be rather amusing meeting though, in my twisted mind. :P

Got anything else on these blokes yet Ludovic? There isn't much to C&C otherwise.

I do agree with you on the first two points :lol:

Gosh, is that the time? Right then! *ding ding* "Gather round children, it's update time!" :lol:

Ludovic

However, would you give a quick summary of the Galathmite Treachery? It's intriguing!

Aha :cuss Well, I'm still working on it, but it'll include some nice back-stabbing and, well, treachery.

Another little update, nothing much but it adds some nice flavour, in my opinion, but then it's up to you Libertes to decide upon that.

Ludovic

A solid start so far :) But I feel that they're lacking a little character at the moment. Why is it that they fight the Imperium? What is their motivation for the actions? What do they believe in, in this dark wartorn universe and what holds them together? What is it that makes them unique among all the other warbands out there? The answers to those questions combined with the start you've got so far should see you well on the way to a good IA.

Thank you for the input Sigismund :) I'm slowly working on this IA and I'll post things as I extract them from my grey matter, so hopefully, I should have some more fluff later on (after lunch).

Ludovic

Ludovic, I know you want to have your corsairs in my Blazing Sons IA, would that particular fracas make it into their IT as well? Or are you just thinking of leaving it as a one-off engagement? Having a nemesis is always fun. <_<

*Edit*

To make this post more helpful, answering why they were on Firaxis may help answer Siggy's questions too. At least, that's my way of looking at the silver lining! :rolleyes:

Ludovic, I know you want to have your corsairs in my Blazing Sons IA, would that particular fracas make it into their IT as well? Or are you just thinking of leaving it as a one-off engagement? Having a nemesis is always fun. ;)

*Edit*

To make this post more helpful, answering why they were on Firaxis may help answer Siggy's questions too. At least, that's my way of looking at the silver lining! ^_^

I think that having a nemesis would indeed be fun ;) *ahem*

The thing is, the Corsairs would have to have a reason for why they where on Firaxis, preferably a material reason, though when I think about it, some über-artefact isn't the best of ideas... anyone have an idea?

Ludovic

Alright, let's see. *rubs hands together gleefully*

Well, Firaxis was a world discovered during the Great Crusade, an original human colony. During the crusade it was raised up to Imperial standards and was in the process of being built into something useful. However the heresy happened and since it had no real tactical or strategic significance, the Imperium pulled back and left the colonists to their fate pretty much.

A couple of things I think that make a good addition to the world as the Sons homeworld.

A fairly old and somewhat degraded/ruined network of planetary defence platforms, perhaps the Corsairs wanted to loot them?

The Order of the Sun is an offshoot of the original Lectio Divinatus, the original Imperial Cult, perhaps your guys wanted to eradicate the Firaxians for emotional reasons?

I think originally the Order of the Sun was founded by a group of warriors responding to an identical vision and finding a damaged but mostly intact Imperial banner from the Great Crusade, maybe this is the artifact? Something with symbolism?

Hmm. Maybe they discover records of the world as being a pre-heresy and crusade world and are gambling on at best, being some juicy technological maguffin they can steal and at worst have another planetary population to massacre/turn to the dark gods.

Just a thought...but why not steal a page from the Marines Malevolent? The Serpent Corsairs conduct raids for the materiel they need, and Firaxis was a colonized world on the verge of something more when the heresy happened. Maybe Firaxis was a pre-positioning location for astartes war gear? When the HH went off and the planet was forgotten, so was the cache of weapons and equipment. The Serpent Corsairs discover the location, one way or another, and strike. What they don't know is that the blazing sons have recently claimed the planet as their homeworld. And so ensues much carnage and bloodshed. While the Blazing Sons soundly defeat the Serpent Corsairs, blast those fickle chaos deities, they nonetheless lose much of the wargear that might have otherwise made them immensely powerful. Cue unending hatred ad infinitum.

That's not a bad idea, but it'd need some doo-hickery to fit my IA's time-frame.

I also love the older armour marks much more than the newer standardized one, and it gives me a good excuse to fluff up a TT force with some of the new forgeworld kits.

*ahem*

Less TT...

It's a good idea! ;)

It'd have to be set out differently. The Corsairs would have to be there first, searching for the cache when the Sons arrive. Naturally the loyalist firaxians don't take too kindly to the chaos incursion and only the most desperate and powerless tribes side with the invaders, of course. Until the Sons arrive that is. A small force like the Corsairs are supposed to be deploying wouldn't stand up to hundreds of loyalist astartes suddenly dropping out of the sky. ^_^

This is good, though I think that the Corsairs should find the cache and while they are taking the stuff back to their ships, they are intercepted. Ensues a battle, etc... Some of my chaps get away with the stuff and you get a share too. Mabye not very old armour but stuff like Mk6 and some Mk5? Maybe I find dead Marines corpses from your parent Chapter (Iron Hands)?

Ludovic

Actually that's rather interesting. After the Sons and the IH argue with the split decision, perhaps upon planetfall the Iron Hands drive right for the Corsairs, while the Blazing Sons hang back and divide themselves over the entire battle-line. Perhaps in the effort to prevent the Iron Hands being overwhelmed the Sons are forced to over-extend themselves and in the process lose more men than they'd like.

(Or something similar but less complicatedly written by me).

This results in both sides having ammunition to throw at one another. The Sons say the Iron Hands were foolish and cost the Sons and the Firaxians lives. The Iron Hands respond that the Sons were too soft and allowed their weakness to allow the Corsairs to escape.

And of course, the Corsairs are hated by everyone anyway just for existing. :P

*Edit*

CJJ adversely influenced me and I've half-derailed this thread and made it a bit about my own IA. I'll shut up now. :)

Hum... nice food for thought...

Maybe they come to Firaxis because there's a minor Warp portal beneath some ruined temple and they find Astartes corpses from whenever and want to take them. They get half away, get attacked by the IH, take away some of their dead, flee. Your Sons go in, get the remaining corpses, have a row with the remaining cadre, the Warp portal opens, battle ensuses against daemons (maybe including the tribes who got curious and got their noses in the wrong place), the Son's and the Hand's Librarians close the portal and hey presto!

Thoughts?

Ludovic

The only thing I'd ask is why there'd be a warp portal there? The only Imperial portal that I am aware of was beneath the Emperors Palace on Terra, under both his and his Custodes watchful eye.

If it's a webway gate, how did the Corsairs get access to it? If it's some un-designated type of warp portal, just where the heck did it come from, how did it get there and why haven't daemons overrun the planet already?

The ideas fine it's just the warp portal that throws a spanner in the works.

The only thing I'd ask is why there'd be a warp portal there? The only Imperial portal that I am aware of was beneath the Emperors Palace on Terra, under both his and his Custodes watchful eye.

If it's a webway gate, how did the Corsairs get access to it? If it's some un-designated type of warp portal, just where the heck did it come from, how did it get there and why haven't daemons overrun the planet already?

The ideas fine it's just the warp portal that throws a spanner in the works.

Maybe throw out the Warp portal being there from the start, make my Corsairs create a breach in reality to get daemons in to distract Imperial forces while they go around attacking less defended fleets to steal stuff?

Any good?

Ludovic

Hmm, ok I'm running with this for a second.

What if the Corsairs are in the subsector/system creating havoc. They evade the Imperial Navy here and there, striking planets they can get resources from until finally they are driven to ground on Firaxis (unknown to the IN that is, since Firaxis isn't in Imperial star charts).

The Corsairs decide to make the most of their position while they are there and begin to loot whatever is left of the worlds old pre-heresy infastructure that the Mechanicus hasn't already stripped.

They keep to less inhabited areas until they stumble over an outcast tribe and cause them to turn to chaos either through honeyed words or intimidation, or both. Thus begins the Firaxian civil war. The Corsairs are in a position of power and use that to orchestrate a larger war for the gods and for their own amusement while they see what they can use on this world. Maybe they want to turn it into a base since it's not on Imperial maps.

Cue the Blazing Sons and co.

Workable?

That said, this is getting a bit overcomplicated. It needs to be set up as we're doing here, that's fine. But I don't want it to take over your IA and I can't devote huge swathes of my own to it either. It needs to end up sidebar length, or a couple of punchy paragraphs to describe the two groups enmity towards one another and why.

Does this work for you?

Hmm, ok I'm running with this for a second.

What if the Corsairs are in the subsector/system creating havoc. They evade the Imperial Navy here and there, striking planets they can get resources from until finally they are driven to ground on Firaxis (unknown to the IN that is, since Firaxis isn't in Imperial star charts).

The Corsairs decide to make the most of their position while they are there and begin to loot whatever is left of the worlds old pre-heresy infastructure that the Mechanicus hasn't already stripped.

They keep to less inhabited areas until they stumble over an outcast tribe and cause them to turn to chaos either through honeyed words or intimidation, or both. Thus begins the Firaxian civil war. The Corsairs are in a position of power and use that to orchestrate a larger war for the gods and for their own amusement while they see what they can use on this world. Maybe they want to turn it into a base since it's not on Imperial maps.

Cue the Blazing Sons and co.

Workable?

Hum... what if we each go our own way for the beginning, get some solid foundation down and then try and figure something out*, because, I agree, it is getting a bit complicated...

Unless you really want to go on with this.

*I am not saying that this whole thing is gone to waste but maybe we could do this on another planet than your Chapter's home planet as it's maybe a bit OTT for just a home world (?)

Ludovic

Edit: I have a :rolleyes: headache so if I seem annoyed or generally annoyed at things, you know why. All apologies.

Archived