Iron Gauntlet 2011 - February Challenge

Brother Argent

Okay folks sorry its a few days late but here we go.

IG2011 - February Challenge

Every Chapter has to start somewhere, every Chapter has a few moments that define who it is. For the Ultramarines its the Establishment of the Codex, then the Battle for Macragge, along with a hundred other things, for the Soul Drinkers (shiver) its their excommunication. It applies to DIY Chapters to, for my Iron Dragons its the death of Irigram Dolcaster aboard the Righteous Malice, for GHY's Blazing Sons its the expulsion of their training cadre. Every Chapter has a reason for why it is who it is. And that brings us to February's Challenge of the Iron Gauntlet. I want you to explore and create the founding moment of your Chapter. Whilst for many Chapters this will be the actual founding for others it will be some great tragedy or perhaps will happenm before the Chapter is even founded.

The requirements for February's Challenge are:

Create/Write the founding event of your Chapter and present it here in this topic before the 4th of March. This even may be presented as:

A) 1000 words describing the "founding event of your Chapter

OR

B ) A model/diorama of the "founding moment" of your Chapter

OR

C) Rules and model of the "founding father" of your Chapter.

Note that you only have to complete ONE of the above listed challenges (unless you are doing a joint entry in which case I expect either two entries or one double size one)

Challengers are required to post their entries here and are stil required to give a February update on their IA in the Challenge main thread.

Virtual Cookies/shiny siggies will be presented to the:

1- Most creative entry

2- Most characterful entry

3- The people whom complete all three options of the Challenge.

Failure to complete this part of the Challenge results in failure of the Iron Gauntlet so get cracking.

CHALLENGERS

LOYALIST

1 Stonebound - Ace Debonair - COMPLETE

2 Marines Exemplar - Argon/Lord Tybault - COMPLETE

3 Steel Wardens - Blacklight - WITHDRAW

4 Blazing Sons - Grey Hunter Ydalir - FAIL

5 Lions of Radiance - Captain Forcystus - COMPLETE

6 Pridelords - WingsoftheFalcon - WITHDRAW

7 Disciples of the Jackal - Sons of Terra - FAIL

8 Hounds of the Hunt - Madwolf Shadowmane - COMPLETE

9 Fists of Vengeance - ringlancer - FAIL

10 Ghost Dragons - Reyner - FAIL COMPLETE

11 Archangels Chapter - Maleagant - WITHDRAW

12 Iron Flames - Chapter Master Ignis Domus - FAIL

13 Harbingers of Woe - Telveryon - FAIL

14 Exculpators - Silver Phoenix - COMPLETE (Although a Day late)

15 Void Reavers - Mordray - COMPLETE

16 Claws of Forca - Saerivic - FAIL

17 The Imperial Knights - Sousetsu - FAIL

18 Lion Warriors Deus Ex Ferrum - FAIL

19 Lords of Shadow - Dark Apostle Thirst - WITHDRAW

20 Aurora - Lexington - FAIL

21 Host Incardine - Plague Angel - FAIL

KingHongKong- Executors - Complete

TRAITOR

1 Unnamed - ringlancer - FAIL

2 The Iron Guards - The Shiny One - FAIL

3 Iron Dragons - Silver Phoenix - COMPLETE (A day late)

4 ? - Telveryon - FAIL

5 Librarians of Madness - Wookiegunner - FAIL

6 Emperor's Bastards - Neophyte of Slaanesh - FAIL

7 Sons of Ixion - Yogi

8 Serpent Corsairs - Battle Brother Ludovic - WITHDRAW

9 Space Rats - Jiron - FAIL

10 Host of Worms - notsoevil - FAIL

Hm, I feel I've an unfair advantage here, seeing as the "Founding Event" of my Chapter already takes up a good 2/3rd of their IA article. ;)

Gonna give #2 and #3 a shot, though. Can't wait to see what everyone else does. :(

Hm, I feel I've an unfair advantage here, seeing as the "Founding Event" of my Chapter already takes up a good 2/3rd of their IA article. :(

Write it as a short story instead of an IA. The IA deals with the events affecting 1,000+ Space Marines. Write about the same event from the perspective of one of them.

Logistics question: the "founding event" is obviously not the first event, just the most important one. Is the "founding father" the first Chapter Master, or the most important figure?

Second question: is it minimum 1,000 words, or max? If min, then what is the max?

Logistics question: the "founding event" is obviously not the first event, just the most important one. Is the "founding father" the first Chapter Master, or the most important figure?

Second question: is it minimum 1,000 words, or max? If min, then what is the max?

1: Depends on the Chapter but yes it could be the most influential figure of the Chapter. Dont do your current Chapter Master however as that is a later challenge.

2: Min is 1000 words. As for Max, the sky is the limit. Just make sure you have it finished before the deadline and everything is cool.

Hm, I feel I've an unfair advantage here, seeing as the "Founding Event" of my Chapter already takes up a good 2/3rd of their IA article. ;)

Gonna give #2 and #3 a shot, though. Can't wait to see what everyone else does. ;)

No, you just have to do yours in cuneiform script.

Should we work on it in the forum improving it, or just present it here, and than it counts?

I would imagine it's up to us.

Personally, I can't stand posting WIP fiction, so expect mine to be towards the end of this challenge so I have time to polish it and consider it "finished" by my own standards.

Should we work on it in the forum improving it, or just present it here, and than it counts?

I reckon I'll post mine in the stories forum and then link to it from here. ^_^

Most of the Stonebound's changes are going to be gradual ones, with the exception of the death of their parent chapter the Red Sabres.

At least that gives me a clear-as-day topic to write about... And something pretty close to impossible to model. :lol:

Blast it, my chapter has it's founding records missing/deleted. Their was a lazy Librarian involved somehow.

I think what SP actually means by 'founding moment' is 'defining moment'. You know, the point where your chapter really comes into it's own. ^_^

EDIT: In the case of the Lords of Shadow, it could be when they discover their geneseed is not quite as first it appeared to be. :lol:

Guest Mordray

Well lets see... there's the time the Master of the Forge tried to destroy the chapter to prevent them from 'creating' a new line of PA...

then there's the time the Imperial Cult (pre-unification) and the fratter (iirc that's the cults military of the time.) tried to destroy a world that adhered to the Imperial Truth (the world told off the cultists after one cultist calls the Emperor of man a god...) and they (culstis) foolishly called in the aid of the Void Reavers. The chapter turns on the cultists and aided the planetary defenders in stopping the Cultist from corrupting one of the last remnants of the Emperor's Imperium.

I'm not even going to attempt the modeling aspects of this competition... I don't play the TT only DoW I and II. So if it comes down pure modeling I will fail.

As a traitor, is the "founding event" the tru founding event or the moment I have turned renegade?

Actually, If I would be keen in writing about noble deeds of space marines, I would´t betray the Emperor :-)

Note that you only have to complete ONE of the above listed challenges (unless you are doing a joint entry in which case I expect either two entries or one double size one)

How subtle you are :mellow: .

Ask and ye shall recieve.

Blast it, my chapter has it's founding records missing/deleted. Their was a lazy Librarian involved somehow.

I think what SP actually means by 'founding moment' is 'defining moment'. You know, the point where your chapter really comes into it's own. :tu:

EDIT: In the case of the Lords of Shadow, it could be when they discover their geneseed is not quite as first it appeared to be. :)

Hmmm... This I could do. I accept the Iron Gauntlet! Muahahahaha.... 'stalks off to plan a short story'

For the Fists of Vengeance, I will be writing about the arrival of the Imperial Fists in the middle of the Battle of Arden.

For my still unnamed chaos force, I will be writing about their twisted descent into blasphemy.

Archived