My Plastic Sternguard LPC

Daylight

Ok, so for my LPC vow I have decided to make a 5 man Sternguard squad. I have never tried conversions before, and I had originally decided to paint up a 5 man combat squad from the Space Marine battleforce, but I got excited and decided to try out some conversions and so they became Sternguard. I ordered some more paint and some greenstuff and such from GW yesterday, so maybe I'll try my hand at greenstuffing as well.

EDIT: I found out bout the B&C Image hosting, so I rehosted the pictures. I replaced some of the blurry pictures with better ones.

Before construction

gallery_55253_5732_280624.jpg

On sprue

gallery_55253_5732_429230.jpg

First Marine (adjusted direction the hand was facing to making it look like he had just finished reloading. Empty (without magazine) bolter on the ground.

gallery_55253_5732_69284.jpg

Thanks for the advice. How would I go about removing the BP because its already been superglued? I forgot to mention: I have only put together a tactical squad, a devestator squad, a dreadnought, a rhino, and the AOBR marines and terminators and dreadnought before this, so I am pretty new to TT and modelling.

If this is one of your first attempts and converting etc.......then its acturally quite a niceand clean job. Not sure how legal the sarg is with the combi-melta and Plas pistol but rule of cool overides that. My only dislike is the heavy flamer/lascannon conversion which IMO the multi melta from the devastator box would have been a better choice for a heavy flamer conversion. Keep up the good work be great see how these will be painted up :)

Thanks! I was thinking about how a multi-melta would have been better, but, sadly, I couldnt find a spare one as the one I have is already in my devastator squad. I am planning on painting these up as Marines Errant (it will be my first time trying a halved color scheme, so we'll see how that goes :) ). And as for the sergeant, I wasn't sure if he can take the combi-melta and the plasma pistol because in the codex it allows you to replace the bolter or the bolt pistol with a plasma pistol for 15 points, and gives you the option of upgrading any squad member's bolter to a combi weapon, so I figured I could replace his bolt pistol with the plasma pistol and upgrade his bolter. If anyone could shed some light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Trying something you haven't done before is always a good way to push your skills and get more out of the hobby. Good start. IMHO super glue is not the best thing to use for styrene plastic. If you can, ask the GW store staff to show you the plastic cement. Or if there is a local hobby shop in your area, ask about cements or solvents for styrene plastic. They work better and will let you reposition the parts if you need to.

Good luck with the squad.

For the most part the stuff looks alright, but seriously, how, how, HOW do you not not know to fully remove the handles from the weapons? That doesn't even look right and you did it more than once. I could understand if you did it once and was like, "oh wait that doesn't look right", but multiple times? The Marines' hands are sculpted with a trigger guard and their pointer fingers on the triggers, yet you left the trigger guards on the guns? Seriously, seriously, what gives?

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to do there, and once I read the second post I fixed it with the sergeant. I had done the other marines before I had posted the pictures, so I only realized that with one left :/. Looking back on it, it doesnt look right at all ;) . Ill try to come up with a solution to that.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to do there, and once I read your post I fixed it with the sergeant. I had done the other marines before I had posted the pictures, so I only realized that with one left :/. Looking back on it, it doesnt look right at all ;) . Ill try to come up with a solution to that.

To be a little less critical and more constructive, I'd say carefully pop the guns from the Marines' hands with an xacto and then cut the handles off fully, then reattach them. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Good progress!

One minor detail: you seam to have left all the grips on your bolters and the melta gun.

When assembling the marines you should remove the handle entirely, along with the trigger.

Hope this helps :)

Good progress!

One minor detail: you seam to have left all the grips on your bolters and the melta gun.

When assembling the marines you should remove the handle entirely, along with the trigger.

Hope this helps :)

I've already begun work on that and will post pictures tomorrow, thanks for the help :) .

Okay so it's not that bad, considering it's your first attempt. Some solid conversion ideas (reloading, empty clip, etc) but the execution needs some more work. If you used super glue, it should be possible to just carefully pull the pieces apart. Don't worry - I use super glue for all my models too.

Not bad. I do have a few suggestions for your camera though.

Firstly, try moving the phone/model back a little more. Most camera lens (short of a macro) are not made to focus so close. The models may end up being a little smaller than you'd like, but they should at least be in focus.

Secondly, If you have a digital zoom, try not using it (even though it may emphasize the earlier problem i mentioned).

Also make a few more concessions to lighting. Any combination of desk lamp, room light, sunlight and camera flash. Of course it is possible to have too much light, but it is a LOT harder to achieve that then insufficient light. Multiple light sources are good.

Both low light and digital zoom can contribute to that grainy look of your photos. See your second photo, it is very clear and in focus. More photos like that and it would be easier for us to comment on them. As I said you probably won't be able to as close as you would like but I am confident you can take some photos with that camera that will really show off your hard work. :)

As for the models, I do like the heavy flamer, keep it up.

I like the Heavy Flamer conversion too. I'd not have thought to use a Lascannon as the abse, but it looks tidy.

You should probably try to find the 'Macro' setting on your camera/phone, as this will show the detail of your models much better when you take pictures.

First off, thanks for all of the help and replies. And good news: I found the macro setting on my camera (thanks for that Shadey and WingsOfTheFalcon), so that should improve the quality of the pictures. I fixed the grips of the guns and had to reposition the meltagun marine's arm to compensate, but it all was a quick fix. Updated pictues above.

Quick update: I edited some old posts, and started work on my Marines Errant assault squad while I wait for my new paints to arrive. I used the part of the bolter I had cut off for the underslung melta as a grip for the chainsword and the handle from the bolter for the Assault Marine's bolt pistol handle. I still need to do some cleaning up and sanding on this marine and on the sternguard.

Pictures:

gallery_55253_5732_683500.jpg

gallery_55253_5732_376497.jpg

gallery_55253_5732_116873.jpg

Looking nice!

I am suprised your camera has a macro setting, that is why I didn't mention it.

Thank you for taking the effort to go back and put new pics.

One thing more, you may want to be more careful snipping your pieces off. There is the occasional pockmark that should ideally be filled. Do you have any putty like greenstuff? It is great for gap filling too. Short of filling it in cleaning it up and filing it may make them less noticable at least.

I like the assault marine. It is kinda like he is deciding "Hey mate, do you wanna be stabbed by mister pointy, or mister slashy?" I am sure you can think of a better caption than that :P.

Please

Use A TINY SPOT of superglue when you want to stick things together, these look like they have bathed in the stuff.

Ok will do, and I'm going to sand off some of the excess to try and fix that.

Looking nice!

I am suprised your camera has a macro setting, that is why I didn't mention it.

Thank you for taking the effort to go back and put new pics.

One thing more, you may want to be more careful snipping your pieces off. There is the occasional pockmark that should ideally be filled. Do you have any putty like greenstuff? It is great for gap filling too. Short of filling it in cleaning it up and filing it may make them less noticable at least.

I like the assault marine. It is kinda like he is deciding "Hey mate, do you wanna be stabbed by mister pointy, or mister slashy?" I am sure you can think of a better caption than that :).

Thanks, and actually, I don't know if I have a better caption than that lol. I actually have greenstuff on order from GW (along with other stuff) so I'll get on gap filling detail ASAP.

Take more time with your miniatures. They don't fall off trees for free, remember?

Trying new things out and rushing to the job is fine and your enthusiasm is great, but if you want them to look better, you need to take things slower.

Start with cleaning the parts you clip off the sprue. Almost all your minis have big mold lines sticking out from them. Painting over them won't help there. Take a knife and file and carefully remove them.

Then you need to use less glue (as mentioned before). A tiny drop of super/plastic glue is usually enough to hold things together. Like mold lines, excess glue is still visible after painting. Super glue will create a thin film on the areas and plastic glue will actually melt away some of the detail or leave bubbles in the plastic.

Don't let the criticism here discourage you. You are on the right track with the conversions, you just need to be more patient.

Take more time with your miniatures. They don't fall off trees for free, remember?

Trying new things out and rushing to the job is fine and your enthusiasm is great, but if you want them to look better, you need to take things slower.

Start with cleaning the parts you clip off the sprue. Almost all your minis have big mold lines sticking out from them. Painting over them won't help there. Take a knife and file and carefully remove them.

Then you need to use less glue (as mentioned before). A tiny drop of super/plastic glue is usually enough to hold things together. Like mold lines, excess glue is still visible after painting. Super glue will create a thin film on the areas and plastic glue will actually melt away some of the detail or leave bubbles in the plastic.

Don't let the criticism here discourage you. You are on the right track with the conversions, you just need to be more patient.

Ok thank you for the help and input, thats one thing I love about the B&C: lots of helpful people :D. When I build the rest of the assault marines, I'll sand the mold lines off and use (a lot) less glue.

Archived