My Plastic Sternguard LPC

Daylight

Next WIP update: I was planning on making these Marines Errant, but my package from Forgeworld arrived today (fast shipping, ordered it sunday), and I read some of IA 10. Specifically, I read about the chapters, and, the Salamanders being one of my favorite chapters, these Stenguard became Salamanders. That, and the fact that the Salamander squad pictured in IA 10 is a Sternguard squad. So here is my first (almost done) painted Sternguard marine.

Pics:

The squad primed and ready to paint

gallery_55253_5732_548170.jpg

A comparison picture between an unprimed assault marine and a primed marine

gallery_55253_5732_296088.jpg

The first painted Sternguard marine (still need to paint the helmet lenses and do some touch ups)

gallery_55253_5732_147238.jpg

gallery_55253_5732_27070.jpg

gallery_55253_5732_244586.jpg

Just a few little tips, some nice conversions. Try getting a poly cement with a brush, humbrol make one that can be found in most hobby shops. This will give you so so much more control with your glue, it looks like you used a white spray for the undercoat that maybe could have done with a bit more shaking (i could be wrong). and i'm also assuming you used paint straight from the pot. Just a few tips with the paint use less paint than you think you need and thin it slightly with water, especially over white this will cover more and obscure less detail, with the metallics i always find i need some kind of darker colour underneath. For gold i mix it 50/50 with scorched brown for my very first coat. Colours are bright and there are some nice conversions here, just remember not to rush although i know how excited i used to get with new models to get them finished and on the tabletop. Hope i don't sound patronising

Just a few little tips, some nice conversions. Try getting a poly cement with a brush, humbrol make one that can be found in most hobby shops. This will give you so so much more control with your glue, it looks like you used a white spray for the undercoat that maybe could have done with a bit more shaking (i could be wrong). and i'm also assuming you used paint straight from the pot. Just a few tips with the paint use less paint than you think you need and thin it slightly with water, especially over white this will cover more and obscure less detail, with the metallics i always find i need some kind of darker colour underneath. For gold i mix it 50/50 with scorched brown for my very first coat. Colours are bright and there are some nice conversions here, just remember not to rush although i know how excited i used to get with new models to get them finished and on the tabletop. Hope i don't sound patronising

Ok thanks for the tips. I'm very new to painting, (actually, very new to 40k in general, I've only played 3 games), and I could use all of the help I could get :) .

Let me start this post off by saying that I am not a good painter, but I try, and I like painting. I love the fluff of 40k, and I paint my miniatures so I have a painted army on the table, as I feel it makes the battles seem more epic when two painted armies fight. Anyways, my point is, I will keep trying to improve my painting skills, but I paint because I like it, not because I'm good at it. With that said, my next two Sternguard:

I realized that I haven't painted enough to know what types of color schemes I really enjoy painting yet, so I painted up a Marines Errant Sternguard and an Ultramarine Sternguard. I may end up painting the rest of my force as either Marines Errant or Ultramarines, as I really enjoyed painting them. I still need to touch up the Ultramarine.

Pictures:

gallery_55253_5732_147731.jpg

gallery_55253_5732_236950.jpg

gallery_55253_5732_197229.jpg

gallery_55253_5732_111944.jpg

Let me start this post off by saying that I am not a good painter, but I try, and I like painting. I love the fluff of 40k, and I paint my miniatures so I have a painted army on the table, as I feel it makes the battles seem more epic when two painted armies fight. Anyways, my point is, I will keep trying to improve my painting skills, but I paint because I like it, not because I'm good at it.

I have very much the same attitude with my models. As one new guy to another, I would offer this:

A little bit of Devlan Mud or Badab Black wash is what you might call a "force multiplier" when finishing a model. My models are too embarrassing to show anybody until I wash them, and then they are magically 100% better looking. That's a relative thing, and I try as hard as I can to improve with every model I paint, but it's a great salvific and makes it look like I might know what I'm doing.

I like what you've gone for with some of those conversions, especially the idea of reloading a magazine. I wouldn't have thought of that, and now I think I might have to try it. That dude with the combat knife in each hand made me chuckle, too; I like him.

@Leonidus: Ok, black undercoat, foundation paints, thinner paints, layer them. Gotcha ^_^

@-Max-: Hmm... never tried washes. I'll have to get some of those ASAP. And if you do make some reloading marines, I'd love to see them. Thanks for the advice :) .

I also painted up the two remaining members. I'll apply all of the tips I got to the next marines I paint, which will probably be after I go out and pick up some more paints and washes. I will probably touch these marines up soon.

Pictures:

I tried highlighting for the first time on the heavy flamer

gallery_55253_5732_311086.jpg

gallery_55253_5732_565724.jpg

gallery_55253_5732_656612.jpg

Archived