Heresy Era Emperors Children

Hello all

This time I would like to share with you my other project: true scaled marines.

At start I would like to apologize for my English, I still have to learn a lot. :)

I created first 10, to use as Movie Marines squad on large tournament in Warsaw/Poland.

Hire you see them defending the bunker from attack of Khorns moist favoured grater demon An’ggrath

gallery_52798_4624_9776.jpg

Hire is picture with standard Iron Hand Marine

gallery_52798_4624_35773.jpg

Unfortunately tournament which allow use of Movie marines Titans and other super heavy are very rare in Poland. So I came to idea to create more of them and us them as count as Deathwing terminators.

To find explanation for their large size I decided that they should be heresy era Legion Marines. Champions from times of great crusade. I also wanted them to be seen on battlefields. I am tired of stern black of Iron Hands.

As you can see my firs try was with Space Wolfs.

gallery_52798_4624_37490.jpg

It was good but not good enough. Finally I decide to paint them in pink of Emperors Children.

After this little long introduction here they are:

Heavy Bolter marine. In deathwing he will be used as Terminator with assault cannon and chainfist.

gallery_52798_4624_48515.jpg

Chainfist will be represented by oversized chain sword.

I'm not entirely happy with his H. Bolter. It was to small, and I have to enlarge it by using muzzle bits from chaos predator

Close up on his chest and helmet

gallery_52798_4624_26571.jpg

This one has H. Bolter taken from Imperial Guard heavy weapon team. In my opinion it looks much beater.

gallery_52798_4624_59680.jpg

gallery_52798_4624_48240.jpg

Below you can see Chaplain Charmosian. He is still WIP but I needed test mini to check intensity of pink on his shoulder pad.

gallery_52798_4624_81452.jpg

I plan to use him as terminator armored chaplain. I’m not entirely sure if having chaplain in army that is already fearless is good idea, but he is so cool :P

gallery_52798_4624_11159.jpg

Chapl;ain and standard Marine.

gallery_52798_4624_44038.jpg

Chief Apothecary Fabius. Almost finished

gallery_52798_4624_58778.jpg

He will be armed with Chainsword and Bolter (chainfist/storm bolter)

My "count as" Belial: Lord Comander Eidolon

gallery_52798_4624_70408.jpg

He still is in early stage of creating. He will have Iron Halo and probably cloak.

gallery_52798_4624_19945.jpg

I hope you like them

As usual all criticism and comment are very welcomed. :)

I'm very, very new at Emperors Children, for example i'm not sure what to insert on their right shoulder pad. Normally it would be one arrow for tactical or crossed arrows for assault marine and so one.

But i'm not sure what Emperors children used there in the time of Great Crusade. I have had a plan, to paint there some personal herald of squad sergeant, but as I seed mi not sure if this is good idea.

thanks! Sculpting those models was very time consuming process. After first 10 models i decided to create forms so i could have casts of true scaled parts.

Thanks to that i can concentrate on personalizing every marine in squad.

You probably noticed that chaste plates of armours doesn't have imperial eagles. This is because those chest are only generic ones. On some i will sculpt the eagles from GS but most will have free hand painted eagles.

Now another subject. Vehicles.

Even 6 squads of terminators so maximum available for Deathwing army will cost 1400-1500 points. To play larger battles I will need Vehicles.

Of course they have to be in same scale as rest of the army, and will also be using count as rule.

For transport I plan to use Land Raiders. They will be converted from normal land raiders to look like old rhino model.

Sponson's will be two true scaled marines, who will be standing in the side doors and firing heavy weapons.

In other words I plan to have gigantic rhino with a lot of mariners shooting from every hatch available.

I’m not sure if I use predators. Maybe I will create some buggy-like armoured car for one marine driver. Something with two side sponsons and turret. But it is just wild idea for future.

For now I decided to create some land speeders for my Emperors children. Of course standard speeders will be to big after true scaling. From my calculations they will be a size of a predator.

This is why I created true scaled jet bikes to act as my Land Speeders.

gallery_52798_4624_18065.jpg

gallery_52798_4624_27969.jpg

As you can see it is a very simple conversion.

I used standard Space Marine bike as base. I had to widen it a little, by inserting plastickart. I also made it little longer by cutting bike frame in half.

Other way marine driver will look very silly on small bike. Prow was made from plastickart.

Hire you can see second almost finished jet bike, with engines attached.

gallery_52798_4624_27303.jpg

gallery_52798_4624_15616.jpg

Prow in future will be decorated with a free hand painted symbol of imperial eagle. This magenta stuff on it result of my making sketches :P

On top of it I will inset vehicle storm bolter which will count as H. Bolter. Below the prow will be turret with H. Bolter (assault cannon)

I only need to add two stabilization wings on top of the engines and it will be finished.

Group photo with Fabius and normal Iron Hands.

gallery_52798_4624_8850.jpg

gallery_52798_4624_42451.jpg

As usual all criticism and comment are very welcomed.

You just made me save this topic as a favourite. First of all: I am a huge fan of the pre-heresy EC. Second of all: I am a huge fan of true scale marines, and third of all: I am making my own Alpha Legion army, and that true scaled Jetbike as Land Speeder is a GREAT idea ;)

So, all in all, keep up the good work. I'll be watching.

- Natanael

Hello All :)

At the moment when I write this post this tread was watched by more then 500 viewers, and only 3 replays.

You are little shy, aren't you ;)

Back to the subject. Today i will add some more pictures of Jet bike.

As you can see there are new wings on it. They give him more predatory look :HQ:

gallery_52798_4624_2583.jpggallery_52798_4624_41947.jpg

Storm bolter is attached on manges so I could easy change it for melta gun

After adding the wings i noticed that prow need some more details on it. Now with the wings attached whole jet bike is optically heavier on the rear.

Some details are definitely needed. I've start with the rivets. Imperial machine just don't work without rivets :P . More rivets more advanced is technology!

gallery_52798_4624_3914.jpg

Additionally when it will come to the painting those rivets, they will give me opportunity to add little rust and dirt to this jet bike.

I've also added small air outlet. It is from transparent plasticard so it is hard to notice it on the picture. It will be more visible after priming it with base colour.

I've also spend some time working on the engines. Filling gaps and adding some advanced technology on it.

(All praise Omnissiah for the wonder of rivets!!!)

gallery_52798_4624_10622.jpg

Another picture under a different angle.

gallery_52798_4624_10972.jpg

Those white blocks from plastic was glued inside engines to work as anchoret.

gallery_52798_4624_13108.jpg

Without them it would be very hard for me to symmetrically seal the engine compartment

This is all for today.

Tomorrow I will try to sculpt turbines inside the engines.

Movie Marines was an actual army list that GW had in a WD if I am not mistaken. A squad in rhino was about 1500p, and they were as good as marines "should be" or are in the fluff.

About the Jetbike. I like it, but I think that if you add the eagle on the prow of the bike, not as paint but sculpted in GS, it will help a lot with the thing feeling heavier at the back.

Also - how thick is the plasticard (if that is it) that you use for the back wings and the prow? I take it they are different.

- Natanael

Everything looks awesome so far.

One comment on the scale of your heavy bolters - just because your marines got bigger doesn't mean the heavy bolters have to. Think about it like this: heavy bolters are the right scale, marines aren't. Plus, making the marines proportionally bigger than the heavy bolters just makes the marines look that much bigger...like they should. A heavy bolter should be a toy for them.

Movie Marines was an actual army list that GW had in a WD if I am not mistaken. A squad in rhino was about 1500p, and they were as good as marines "should be" or are in the fluff.

You are right I have this WD. Rules are unofficial and for fun games only. Just to give you impression of how good they ware just some general informations.

All Move mariners are S6 and T6. All of them have two or more wounds. Their bolters work like assault cannons, heavy bolters work similar to Vulcan pattern bolter from warhound titan. You just don't want to know how devastating is their version of lascannon. ;)

On picture below you can see 4 of them just before they ware charged by warboss and 8 nob bikers.

gallery_52798_4624_37490.jpg

After the combat was resolved I lost one marine, and the orks ware no more.

About the Jetbike. I like it, but I think that if you add the eagle on the prow of the bike, not as paint but sculpted in GS, it will help a lot with the thing feeling heavier at the back.

I'm not sure if my GS-fu is good enough to do this :( . Prow of the bike will be most visible part of it. With my skill I will probably have giant two headed duck on it :D

Maybe when i will be working on the other bike i will have enough experience to try sculpting it. On the other side, I'm confident about my skill at painting free hands

how thick is the plasticard (if that is it) that you use for the back wings and the prow? I take it they are different.

You are right. I use 3mm plasticard for all wings and for creating frames of prow. Thanks to that all construction it is rigid enough

Sides of prow was cut from 1 mm thick. 1 millimetre plasticard is very easy to bend, specially after "bath" in hot water.

One comment on the scale of your heavy bolters - just because your marines got bigger doesn't mean the heavy bolters have to. Think about it like this: heavy bolters are the right scale, marines aren't. Plus, making the marines proportionally bigger than the heavy bolters just makes the marines look that much bigger...like they should. A heavy bolter should be a toy for them.

You probably are right, but this is a matter of taste. For some it would be OK for some not.

For me those oversized guys will look kind of silly with little, toy-sized, heavy weapons. And to add insult to injury they will be painted in pink.

This is why I decided to spare them some humiliation. ;)

I dont think that the eagle on the prow would be too hard to make actually. The Wings should not be that hard with some patience, and the eage itself is more a matter of cutting it out of a large GS-"blob". If you look at this pic

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bd/Imperial_eagle.jpg

it should not be too hard to just cut if from the GS, using a scalpel/hobby knife. Just smooth the GS out over the whole front, and then cut away the stuff that should not be there to reveal the eagle. You can make it a lot less complicated then the pic as well. I'd say give it a try!

- Natanael

Hello after little break.

Thanks for the tip Nataniel. Usually when i work with GS i don't cut it. I just flatten it till i receive shape i need.

I will try your method on some test mini.

Anyway hire you have some more pictures of my first jetbike work in progress.

It is almost finished now. I only have to add some details on stabilization wings and I could prime it.

gallery_52798_4624_28588.jpggallery_52798_4624_10308.jpg

After expanding bike old handlebars didn't fit to it any more. Also old monitor, that was inserted on them, was just to small and didn't look good.

I solved this problem by using video screens from inside of rhino. I never insert them because I prefer to use my rhino as an additional box for transporting small stuff like removable hatches, beaners, antennas, and stuff like that.

http://www.wargamersworld.co.uk/images/D061%20wargamersworld_Space_Marine_Rhino_Inner_Wall.jpg

I just cut it in half. One half was used in one bike the other one was used in second bike.

You probably noticed that one handlebar is missing. It is because it is glued to the marine driving the bike.

Similarly as handlebars in new Nob bikers.

gallery_52798_4624_6548.jpg

And hire it is. Almost finished Jet bike with a driver in a chopper like pose. :P

gallery_52798_4624_23904.jpg

If you will look closer on the engines you will notice why I'm not so fast to sculpt gigantic eagle form GS.

If small engines give me so much problem imperial eagle could become nightmare.

Enough of the first bike.

This is actual WIP of the other one.

gallery_52798_4624_5087.jpggallery_52798_4624_15230.jpg

Because it was made from loyalist SM bike i have had a problem with it exhaust pipes. They are on exact same level as engines.

I solved this problem by adding special covers on the engine. While I was working on them i also filled the gaps that was created when i expend this bike, and added magnet for stormbolter.

All in all i think it looks good.

Hire is close up on the covers with new engine attached.

gallery_52798_4624_36977.jpg

And at the end group foto of two of my jet bikes.

gallery_52798_4624_48318.jpg

One thought on the front Aquila for the bike... Forgeworld? Looks like it would be angular/flat enough to take one of the brass etchings. The others you could use on your marines.

Otherwise... fan of your concept, really like the idea of using Jetbikes to represent speeders. I don't have the Dark Angels codex, but it makes me want to do up a Deathwing force more now than the Wolf Wing force I had been thinking on.

I was thinking about Forgword Aquila's but most probably they will be no good ;)

You see thanks to shape of the prow Aquila should have wings shaped like flat version of letter V.

Other way if i bend them over the prow the ends of the wings will be pointed down at ~ 30 degree angle.

I have friend who have access to laser cutter. If I mange to prepare proper aquila shape he could cut it in work...

I like your bikes, but now that I see them with a marines I think they are a tad to big. I understand the size when you are gonna use them as Land Speeders, but since they are supposed to be jetbikes after all, they seem big. In the Heresy artwork they are not much larger then a regular bike, with a slim-shaped prow added. I dont know if you have access to the Collected Visions, but there are some very nice pics of jetbikes in that book.

That said, I think they look awesome. And what are the engines made of? I cant figure it out :o Oh, and you mentioned using HBs as Assault Cannons, think about using Autocannons instead. They were common during the heresy, and were later replaced with assault cannons in terminator squads and dreadnought and the like. I think a twin-linked autocannon (dual underslung actually) would look really good. I'd do that if I ever get around to doing some of this.

- Natanael

• 2 years later...

Hello after very very long break. :)

My Emperors Children's ware lying on a shelf for so long that I decided to finally start painting them. Right now only 8 of them.

I'm trying to paint their shoulder pads using non metallic metals, (my first attempt) but I'm not sure if I'm happy with the result.

They will need some new bases too.

Those are still WIP's so be gentle with me :)

Eidolon

gallery_52798_4624_390352.jpg

The cape on him is now only in base colour, I will have to make some nice free hand drawing on it.

group foto:

gallery_52798_4624_333049.jpg

Hevy bolter, Thunder hammer guy, Eidolon and Lucius

And the rest of the squad:

gallery_52798_4624_796701.jpg

I hope I will be able to finish them before end of this year.

Archived