Combat Shield counts as Storm Shield

Parcival

Dear Brothers,

Like many of you (probably) I have a big surplus of Combat Shields from my Assault Squad boxes, but with the new Codex I seem to have an indefinite need for Stormshields. Now I am thinking about using those Comat Shields as Stormshields for my Jump Infantry (only JP!) as you could come up with fluff reasons why Stormshields for JP aren't as big.

(1) Would your friends allow this Counts As in a friendly game? (mine would, but I want to test what would happen if I play a friendly game with strangers)

(2) Do you think this Counts As would pass in a tournament with WYSIWYG requirements?

(3) I already have Veterans with proper Stormshields, so my models would have a mix of Combat and Stormshields. Do you think it would be ok for other players if I told them "every shield is a Stormshield" or would that confuse them too much?

There's no hard and fast rule as to what Storm Shields look like, people just tend to use the terminator models as reference. I would imagine that as long as you make the distinction to your opponent before the game there shouldn't be a problem, even in tournaments.

Do you think it would be ok for other players if I told them "every shield is a Stormshield" or would that confuse them too much?

Anyone sho gets confused by that would never be able to find their way out of the house to get to a tournament in the fist place.

I did this exact thing with my VV. I just sawed off some hands and attached them right on. No one has ever had a problem with, no one has ever mentioned anything to me. I simply give a list rundown at the beginning of a game and something like "these are the VV's and they have 2 storm shields." No one ever went "OMG THOSE ARE COMBAT SHIELDS!!!"

They are appropriately sized and there is no rule of how big a SS needs to be.

As long as all similar sized shields are the same type, it shouldn't be an issue. Now if you have a few storm and a few combat that all look about the same size, it could be an issue.

As long as all similar sized shields are the same type, it shouldn't be an issue. Now if you have a few storm and a few combat that all look about the same size, it could be an issue.

Yup, also don't assume your opponent will know they are all Storm Shields even if you decide to leave them all relatively plain.

Another thing to keep in mind is that we don't have many units that can take Storm Shields or Combat Shields, so confusion should be minimal. Glancing briefly through the Codex, I only see RAS as being able to take both of them, so as long as your RAS Sergeants don't take Combat Shields, there should be no room for confusion so long as you inform your opponent.

Another thing to keep in mind is that we don't have many units that can take Storm Shields or Combat Shields, so confusion should be minimal. Glancing briefly through the Codex, I only see RAS as being able to take both of them, so as long as your RAS Sergeants don't take Combat Shields, there should be no room for confusion so long as you inform your opponent.

Don't forget the Company Champion in an Honor Guard.

The shield from the Assault Squad box is a storm shield. Combat shields have bolt pistol attachments like the one from the Command Squad box.

This. See my post in the "The Sanguinor" thread in Amicus Aedes, or How to Paint Space Marines p.81 where it is clearly identified as a Storm Shield.

Maybe a moot point but why would anyone take a combat shield instead of a storm shield? I realise the company champion in the honour guard has one included in his wargear but other than that they are just inferior to storms.

Personally I would always a assume a space marine with a sheild is bringing the 3++ to the table.

With a note on the customisation the brass etch sheet from forgeworld has some nice bits you can plonk on a combat shield to jazz it up.

H

Guys, you are just awesome and really made my day!

So the entire thing is based on my misconception Terminators=large shields=SS and RAS=small shields=Combat Shields. I just searched for the sprue of the Command Squad and that obviously is a Combat Shield, although the size is comparable to the one in the RAS box.

I don't really see the point in using Combat Shields either and was always frustrated I glued the ones from the RAS box onto my RAS Sergeants when I was a newbie. However, now that's even better. :) I'll just inform my other players that everything is a SS that looks like a shield, pay the extra points and there we go! I had several games when I would have loved to have had a SS on my RAS Sergeant. :D

i swear i saw in the codex sm that it was labled storm sheild. it would have to be a different design for assault marines as they have to be lighter to move as fast and dont have the bulk or power that a terminator has. other thoughts to blinging i would beto look at the dark angels one, and to use the fancy details off the baal sprue...

So the entire thing is based on my misconception Terminators=large shields=SS and RAS=small shields=Combat Shields. I just searched for the sprue of the Command Squad and that obviously is a Combat Shield, although the size is comparable to the one in the RAS box.

This was my misconception as well. Even in C:BA the Storm Shield is pictured as the one that Terminators have. Indeed the combat shield has an attached Bolt Pistol, while the one in RAS sprue has none (just noticed it myself :D )

Thanks for bringing up this topic, mate!

Archived