IW obliterator test model (pic heavy)

Xeonic

Okay, so first off, just to note, I hate the metal oblit models. The "all sorts of guns growing out of technorganic crud" just doesn't jive well with me. I see them as sort of just sprouting whatever weapon the situation needs rather than having all of them poking out at once. Maybe it's just me.

Okay, so the fluff for my IW warband has them abandoning their heavy ordinance on a specific battlefield and resorting to mostly havoc and obliterator support(formerly the company's terminator elite actually). So my oblits will be modeled to represent newly corrupted terminators rather than 10k year corrupt veterans. They would have been infected with the obliterator virus willingly to support the surviving havocs as ranged fire support. They will be utilizing captured loyalist heavy weapons(las and plasma cannons mostly, from the armory of a fortress monastery they'd just looted) melded with their baroque 10k year old termie armor.

Anyways, fluff aside, here's my test model(pictures are 1024x768 .jpg and so should be fairly bandwidth friendly):

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5012/oblittest007.jpg

Frontal view, right here first thing you can see the major flaw on the lascannon powerpack backpack, where I was unable to properly press the GS into such a small gap. I am considering just covering this with a peice of thin plasticard as it looks terrible. Also I noticed his helmet pointed front is slightly off center, I'll have to correct that as I didn't notice it on the actual model(the helmet nose is GS so not hard to shave down even or bulk up).

Also note that the lascannon appears to be at a slightly unnatural angle. I will correct this with model #2(within acceptable parameters for a proof of concept).

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5969/oblittest006.jpg

Quarter front shot, left. This shot displays the cable on the helmet and the overall stance pretty well. The stance by the way is GW copywrite "slowly striding forward shooting while looking slightly right" I think. :P

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/5416/oblittest005.jpg

Quarter rear shot, left. This shot shows the combination weapon mounted on the back of the termie's powerfist. It's a combi melta/plas/flamer to represent the closerange special weapons the oblit might need. It's basically made of a chaos plasma pistol, previously hacked up flamer(is now a sternguard combi), and melta barrel(no idea what happened to the rest of the melta!). You can also see the slight inperfection in the join between the lascannon powerpack and the termi back. This I will leave I think as it's just a tiny amount of minor surface irregularity and not even noticeable 4 feet away. Next model I hope to fix that though.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8804/oblittest004.jpg

Rear shot. This shot shows the terribly angry mould line on the powerfist powercable. This will be corrected as best I can at a late date. Poor model prep, that is.

Quarter front shot, right<---Linky

This shot showcases the excellent precast dragonforge pewter powercables I used. I can highly recommend this product. Note that I relocated the capacitor(?) assembly to the old dev hand mount point and purposefully left off the optics array(it's a literal and physical part of his body, why would he need a scope?).

Front<---Linky

A slightly more zoomed and different angle front shot overview. This shows the two sculpting flaws even better(I'm a sculpting noob, what can I say?).

Quarter front shot left closeup<---Linky

A slightly closer overview of the close combat combi with better lighting.

A couple minor notes: Yes I plan on hazard stripes, and probably at least weapon casing and maybe right shoulderpad as well. Yes, I plan to add an IW icon decal(or maybe a pressmoulded IW skull) to the model's right shoulderpad as well. This is just a rough, quick, and dirty paintjob+wash (maybe spent an hour on it?) to proof of concept my obliterator test model. Overall I'm happy, with some flaws I'm happy to discuss, correct, and for sure not incorperate into the rest of the squad(5 more to go at least!).

Also if you were wondering his eyes are GW mithril silver covered with Tamiya clear green. On the TT this gives it a very real reflectivity and shine(a technique I normally reserve for use on my tank optics after I dullcote them).

I do have a couple unpainted WIP shots as well, but I hesitate to post them as the photography is poor.

C&C is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: changed some links into images to avoid confusion.

I did something similar with my Flawless Host obliterators.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/Necrologic/Oblit1Fin1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/Necrologic/Oblit1Fin2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/Necrologic/Oblit2Wip06.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/Necrologic/Oblit2Fin01.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/Necrologic/Oblit1and2.jpg

More pics and the WIP shots in the link in my sig (3rd page)

Wow, will for sure be stealing some ideas from your models(the bundled powercables for sure), that is if you don't mind. Fantastic stuff.

I also don't think I have enough plastic dev backpacks on hand so I may simulate/modify/steal your backpack bulking technique as well.

@ Xeonic

First:

I like the termi! The mini looks great. So does the colour-shema.

Now my very personal opinion:

The figure itself looks more like a terminator to me, than a count-as obliterator. If your model would stand next to a normal chaos-termi with twin machine-guns, well, there wouldn't be a big difference in weapon and miniature size. :D

I would add some "stuff" to underline the "a weapon for every obstacle"-attitude. Maybe thicker cables (like in Drudge Dreadnought pictures) or some armor-enhancements, like stabilizers on the feet, extra chest armour etc. :D

But that are only my two cents....

BTW: I also dislike the flesh-weapon-morphing oblits....

Nice enough but yes perhaps a bit too much like normal terminators.

I'm definetly with you on the Obliterator hate. The normal models don't look anything like anything I'd want to field. I've been thinking of just using slightly Chaosified Tech-Marine models though.

Okay, so first off, just to note, I hate the metal oblit models. The "all sorts of guns growing out of technorganic crud" just doesn't jive well with me. I see them as sort of just sprouting whatever weapon the situation needs rather than having all of them poking out at once. Maybe it's just me.

Man, does anybody like the Oblit models? I know I sure don't. Probably something for GW to pay attention to when they make the switch to plastics.

But other than that, I love the conversion, and like someone else said those bundled power cables look especially neat.

@ Kitchen Knife

Well, the dev backpack does add a bit of bulk up and back(~5mm or so), but since fluffwise it -is- just a recently obliteratored Termie, and I'm not super confident in my GS ability to the point of bulking up the termie armor itself a lot I'm a little iffy. I was considering using a bit of GS to add a thin layer of some "extra armor" to the next test model(some of the torsos have too many eyes of horus for my tastes) and then adding banding from thin plasticardwithin my skillset). I will be basing them on up to another 3-5mm of rock(I love rock bases) so make them more imposing. None of my lists currently incorporate chaos termies anyways so the crossover shouldn't be a problem for my opponents(hopefully?).

@ Nihm

Those are some extremely nice conversions! I have seen Dan's work and appreciated it but I had felt that actual oblits was more in keeping with the Iron Warriors theme. I did seriously consider teams like that though.

@ Brother Nathan

I like your generic looking gun arm that could pass for something with the profile of either a plasma, las, or multi-melta arm. That's something to I hadn't considered that I'll have to think of bashing something up like that.

You are right, the lone model Oblit works best for IW. And your conversion is right up their alley. :tu:

On a side note,

Have you ever considered making Tech-Marine'ish Obliterators? it would look good alongside yours I believe.

Techmarine ish oblits is a good idea, but not sure where I'd start on that one. There were some really nice(I want to say word bearers?) oblit conversions I remember seeing that had the weapons mounted on servo arm like apparatuses. I was worried a PA body base would be way too small, though I could follow a truescaling(artscaling?) tutorial to bulk up a PA set to close to termie size...

My army already incorporates a few servo arms either with gripper arms and a couple with special weapons mounted on them, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch either.

I much prefer my Obliterators. Transformer-style Robots make for a much more satisfying morph, with more "ka-klunk"s, "Whirr" and plasma whines than you can shake a stick at.

I'd post Pics, but the currently are hideously unpainted. Maybe when I have spare time (he says, whilst sat doing nothing, drinking coffee. I've spent too much time looking at screens today, so painting will hurt my eyes, honest!)

you could do techmarine esk easiily enough, remember techmarines have artificer armour(chaos version is chaos armour right?) which explains the 2+, vet the extrawound and the rest is easy enough. so yea you could go tech marine way if you want. could even have like termnator heavy weapons replacing 2 arms then the techmarines servo arms for the powerfist attacks and then flamer and the plas cutter, of course made to look nastier/ more powerful...

@ Kitchen Knife

Well, the dev backpack does add a bit of bulk up and back(~5mm or so), but since fluffwise it -is- just a recently obliteratored Termie, and I'm not super confident in my GS ability to the point of bulking up the termie armor itself a lot I'm a little iffy. I was considering using a bit of GS to add a thin layer of some "extra armor" to the next test model(some of the torsos have too many eyes of horus for my tastes) and then adding banding from thin plasticardwithin my skillset). I will be basing them on up to another 3-5mm of rock(I love rock bases) so make them more imposing. None of my lists currently incorporate chaos termies anyways so the crossover shouldn't be a problem for my opponents(hopefully?).

Well my GS skills are none existing, so at the moment I've started to work with thin plastic cards ( 0.3, 0.5 and 1 mm thickness) for some extra acessoires (mostly armor, stripes or blades). Right know it is a quite "experimental" phase, but it is easier than GS (at least for me)

Maybe if you can/want to remove those all-seeing eyes, you can just glue some fitting plastic card parts on the miniature for the bulky look. ;)

I much prefer my Obliterators. Transformer-style Robots make for a much more satisfying morph, with more "ka-klunk"s, "Whirr" and plasma whines than you can shake a stick at.

I've got a "proof of concept" piece put together for something similar. Mine are going to be a maniple of corrupted Legio Cybernetica robots from the Dark Mechanicus. That way I get to make some unique models and include something fun in my DIY fluff. I've just got a ton of other things to do before I actually start the project.

Archived