WIP 2 and Vow completed

Brother Mitch

Greetings Brothers,

Thought I qould share with you my finished initiates for my vow. As I have previously stated, very new to this and as to date, this is my first ever completed batch. I know they are a bit messy and scrappy but they were my trial run, as I would never dream of fielding bolter initiates. :P

I'm a little bit ashamed of the freehand crosses on the shoulders, I will do my penance, but as of right now I don't have any decals to transfer!

Well without further ado, here are the pics:

Group shot:

gallery_58604_5781_965257.jpg

Left Shoulders (as you can see, varying degrees of success!):

gallery_58604_5781_333483.jpg

Purity Seals:

gallery_58604_5781_11687.jpg

On Patrol:

gallery_58604_5781_695994.jpg

Your comments are welcome, but I am not looking forward to them!!

I'm pretty happy with them, just the obvious which isn't the best.

On the plus side, my army begins to grow soon, getting some scouts on tuesday for the first Neophytes and then the Battleforce for some more troops!! Woo Hoo!

Your in Zeal

Brother Mitch

That's a good start. The freehand looks good for a first try, I've heard some people use Sharpie pens to do freehand on their marines, that may be something to look at. Are these minis the snap fit marines from assault on black reach?

Thanks for the confidence booster, I was a bit half and half with posting them, but if you don't put them up you never get feedback and learn.

I never thought of using a sharpie pen, sounds like a good idea, need to invest in one, not very templary, but if it works, don't knock it.

No there not from AoBR, they are from the paint starter set, Dunno if they are snap fit, the bolters, back packs and one shoulder pad were seperate, also, they had embossed ultramarines insignia which I took my time to file down, not very well I might add.

Brother Mitch

Yeah, the models where you only glue the bolter and one/two other pieces on are the 'snap-together's ;)

Dude let me just say this that these guys have a couple good things going for them:

The freehand is pretty decent. I don't know if you've ever seen the crosses most people do freehand, but they suuuck. Considering that this is your first attempt and it was painted on instead of using a sharpie(Get a fine felt-tip. You can do the purity seal scribbles easily with it as well) I'd say that these guys are pretty good. At least you can tell that it's a cross :HQ:

And

The white looks at least semi-even. I cannot express how much I hate doing the white, I can never seem to get it to smooth out evenly. Yours looks nicely done, good job on them man.

And

They're Templars.......nough said. :)

I also enjoy the paper towel usage, did the same thing myself for my WIP :P

Remember that you're always going to find flaws in your work. You could build a perfectly good table, beautiful finish, but you'll always see that crack in the grain halfway down the 3rd leg....Trying to say don't beat yourself up over your models. The guys look like a great start, as you spend more time on them you'll see how a couple of highlights make the models *pop* more, you'll start putting little details on them and find out what bits of paint help the model stand out and which aren't necessary, ect. ect.

Great start man, let's see some of you're Neophytes done up when you get them!

*Grumbles and goes to find his he needs to paint for his Vow*

Thanks Bloodcrusade, you pretty much hit the nail on the head, everytime I read a thread and someone picks up on something, I immediately go to mine and see if I have done it. The amount of small details you pick up purely from reading the posts is great, I read here for a couple of months before plucking up the courage to buy me some marines.

Can't wait to get the Neophytes on the go, and once they are done and I get my Battleforce, time to make my own champion.

Few problems when I was painting them. My hand is no where near steady enough to paint them accuarately, although it will have to be. I find it quite hard to see all the detail, but I think it will be easier if I get a smaller tip brush, the starter brush is good but its a bit big, going to get the spray undercoat as well as I can see the horrible brush strokes in some.

Brother Mitch

I think they look very well done for first attempts! ;)

Way better than my first batch of SW looked... :cuss

I just ordered a micron pen online to use on my BT's parchment seals and shoulder pad scripts; I'd imagine that could work out very well for freehanding the crosses too.

Keep up the good work!

Archived