Alternatives to make Thunderfire Cannons?

Aegnor

So, like many others, I'm finding my Thunderfire cannon a bitch to assemble. I bought it over a year ago, and have been put off more than once by how poor the fit of the pieces are. Thing is, I've decided I really want two in my army. Has anyone any good suggestions for kit-bashing one together from alternative bits and pieces?

So, like many others, I'm finding my Thunderfire cannon a bitch to assemble. I bought it over a year ago, and have been put off more than once by how poor the fit of the pieces are. Thing is, I've decided I really want two in my army. Has anyone any good suggestions for kit-bashing one together from alternative bits and pieces?

I have one I got with the space marine release box and have never touched it just because it is a metal model. There was no reason for this kit not to be plastic IMO.

Asked myself the same question...here was my answer. Taa Daa! If you don't like the wheels, the tracks from the Thunderfire kit do work pretty well. Or make your own tracks with some Rhino bits.

Hmmm, and unless postage from the UK to Australia is more than $20, that will be half the price of a proper Thunderfire kit...

No no, you took that wrong. I was just remarking that its bizarre that you can mail order a kit from half-way around the world, from a niche manufacturer, and get something that costs half as much as the kit they sell in the shops here. It's the same with FW Dreadnoughts.

Was actually thinking you could do something cool with the Cyclops demolition mini-tank as the tracks for the Thunderfire - maybe with the barrels from the Thudd gun on top of it.

-sigh- Wow, I'm obviously tired.... :P My bad; hoped it helped though, brother. It actually looks pretty cool with some chapter serf's loading it (or servitors, whatever floats your boat) and the Techmarine looking on. All you really gotta do is astartes-ify it a bit, and it's ready to rock. Be warned, the barrels sometimes come a little warped, but a soak in hot water and some gentle bending will get it right.

Edit: Hmm...I'm not sure about the scale between the cyclops and the thudd, but that'd look cool!

If you have some IG track guards, rhino tracks, IG dozer blade, plasti card, IG lascannon power cells, plastic tubing, and misc tubing bits you can put together something like this. It's about the same size. I magnetized the gun so it comes off the carrier.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p6/cabinetguy/40k%20stuff/Crusade%20Army/Golgotha%20Heavy%20Support/TFupright.jpg

Here is mine here, most of these bits you should have lying around anyway, except maybe the guard tracks, don't know if they do those anymore

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/darrylwhg/DSCN3723.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/darrylwhg/DSCN3724.jpg

here is the thread here

Decided this evening that I might as well have a solid go at putting it together. 2 hours of removing flash and filing, but after that, it's gone better than I had feared. The two halves of the gun were a poor dry fit, and the gun barrel ends ( both front multi-barrel mouths and back rocket ends didn't fit. A bit of filing and I've got those four parts glued and pinned and looking alright (there are some small gaps, but nothing too bad). That seems likely to have been the most difficult part, so this might be ok.

Of course, having said that, I will have provoked Tzeentch to make a disaster of it from hereon in!

the barrel is the worst part, it doesnt fit together very well at all.. i found the 'flower' part at the back of the cannon the worst bit, i had to file down for an hour to get it to fit.

the rest isnt too bad, it gets a bit fidly with the upright supports for the cannon, you need 3 hands for that

I had to use an entire pack of greenstuff, three knife blades, and a quarter pound of flesh, but then I have a five gun Thunderfire battery. Let the foul Orkoid xenos beware.

But yes, the kit sucks. The only thing I like is the track assembly. If you get creative, you can mount all sorts of awesome things on it.

But yes, the kit sucks. The only thing I like is the track assembly. If you get creative, you can mount all sorts of awesome things on it.

I do plan on buying another one just to have the treads bit as the base for a venerable dreadnought because I think that will look cool.

Here's my kit-bash

Uses the empire volley gun, I still need to add some support struts or something, and I've got to be honest, I like both Brother of the Temple's and Brother Dvorn's better.

I like this alot....my only crit is that the turret should probably be more towards the back....kinda looks like it would fall over when fired aha

i had a look at the scratchbuild above, and it looks ok.. i was wondering about the "metal models always break" comment..

i dropped one of my converted t-fires (actual model, not kitbash) at the last ultra-meet.. apart from crying like a schoolgirl, the main block of the t-fire never came apart, despite a 4 foot drop onto concrete..

once built the thing is sturdy

has anyone ever used the Quad Launcher from forgeworld to make a thunderfire cannon?

is so does anyone have any pictures? Or even pictures comparing it to the hight of a techmarine/marine or the current thunderfire cannon?

i'd quite like to try and make an alternative out of the Quad Launcher myself.

AC

I would imagine something mixing treads along with the aforementioned Empire Hellblaster Volly Gun and maybe the Dwarf Organ Gun. The Organ gun runs on a similar barrel number to the Hellblaster but can be stacked a bit if properly cleaned of Dwarven runes. I think I saw it before being used for something else stacked like that.

Decided this evening that I might as well have a solid go at putting it together. 2 hours of removing flash and filing, but after that, it's gone better than I had feared. The two halves of the gun were a poor dry fit, and the gun barrel ends ( both front multi-barrel mouths and back rocket ends didn't fit. A bit of filing and I've got those four parts glued and pinned and looking alright (there are some small gaps, but nothing too bad). That seems likely to have been the most difficult part, so this might be ok.

Of course, having said that, I will have provoked Tzeentch to make a disaster of it from hereon in!

the barrel is the worst part, it doesnt fit together very well at all.. i found the 'flower' part at the back of the cannon the worst bit, i had to file down for an hour to get it to fit.

the rest isnt too bad, it gets a bit fidly with the upright supports for the cannon, you need 3 hands for that

Ironically/happily enough, that's turned out to be the case. Just finished assembling it. Reckon including the couple of hours of prep before I got the glue out, that's taken me about 8 hours all up. I'm probably a bit more relaxed about some gaps along some parts of the gun barrel than others might be, but honestly, I'm pretty happy with how it looks. I've put in a couple of pins in the barrel assembly, and it feels pretty solid. From the stories I'd heard, I guess I must have got one of the better kits.

If it wasn't for the price, I'd buy another one actually, based on how this has gone. (Of course, I'm yet to have the thing fall to pieces when someone coughs on it during a game). I actually had the chance to buy one at my LGS for 25% off on Sunday and passed on it - at that price, it would have been more reasonable.

Archived