Lions of the Dawn Captain and Vanguard squad

Well, seeing as how I have less than a month to finish my pledge after doing pretty much no work for the first two months, I figured I'd better get crackin'. Nothing stellar here, just some light kitbash and some greenstuff (when I feel brave). I'll keep posting as I make more progress.

I had ordered some lion-head helmets and shoulder-pads, and while they look excellent, the shoulders were way too big (maybe they'd fit TDA . . . maybe), and the helms were just a little too tall. Once my GS skills improve I'll for sure make custom shoulders, but for now I pulled some pretty detailed ones from various kits. Oh, and as far as the wargear goes, I just went for what I thought looked the coolest (while still being legal) - practicality be damned!

gallery_54762_5838_20651.jpg

Vanguard Vet. #1

gallery_54762_5838_30237.jpg

Vanguard Vet. #2 (yes, I see the mold-lines :teehee: )

gallery_54762_5838_238977.jpg

Vanguard Vet. #3

gallery_54762_5838_45760.jpg

Vanguard Vet. #4 - broke down and got the only non-Terminator right hand claw I could find. Thank you eBay!

gallery_54762_5838_33098.jpg

Vanguard Vet. #5 - Don't know what's up with this guy's pose... Falcon PUNCH!

gallery_54762_5838_181557.jpg

Captain Leander Caelistus - I really like how he's turning out, really similar to my initial sketches. Ever since I saw that picture of a dual-thunder hammer captain in C:SM, I've wanted to make one. He's mostly Sanguinary Guard bits, which I think are perfect for artificer armor. I used the back torso piece from the Captain kit - it looks kinda thick from the side, where the cape joins the armor. Hopefully repositioning the hammers will cover it a little. I'm at a crossroads with the cables on the hammers - cut em off, or try to run them in to the armor? My GS skills are remedial, but it shouldn't be too difficult, right?

Anyway, that's my start. Got some cleaning up to do, and some greenstuff for the loose arms. Maybe I'll even try a purity symbol if I'm feeling especially brave.

You stay classy San Diego

Nice captain, i know what you mean about the artwork man i've always loved that piece, as for the cables my advice would be replace them with guitar wire instead of attempting to GS them it would have a far more realistic result! good luck i've decided to track this topic and watch your progress.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright! As promised, here's the pics from my flickr account.

gallery_54762_5838_260851.jpg

++Veteran Sergent Anatolius Xiphias++

Probably my favorite of the Vanguard - very much a Spartacus feel to him. If I ever get brave enough to start basing my models, he'll be standing on a wrecked ork tank, looking for the next xeno to kill

gallery_54762_5838_250082.jpg

++Veteran Lucian Nicephorus++

Standard guy - really glad I had an ornate chainsword to help him stand out a bit

gallery_54762_5838_171655.jpg

++Veteran Seco Alexius++

The other powersword user - I was actually fairly happy with the way the blades on all my power weapons turned out (I know, I'm easily pleased). I wanted to stay away from the "lightning" effect since I don't really picture power weapons arcing electricity all over the place.

gallery_54762_5838_30839.jpg

++Veteran Fulgur Trucido++

Ah, dual lightning claws... Rather than hack up another set of Terminator weapons, I found the metal vet. model online and after some minor green stuffing, swearing, supergluing, more swearing, and more superglue, it was all set. Then I realized how unbalanced the model is, and managed to drop him on his bendable little claws . . . sigh. No more metal part for me, but worth the effort to the huge termie hands.

gallery_54762_5838_265435.jpg

++Veteran Milo Palaemon++

Probably the worst posing job I've done to date. I need to have him punching through a tank to justify the pose. Just awkward

gallery_54762_5838_172562.jpg

++Leander Caelistis, Captain of the 2nd Company++

Since seeing the art for the Captain entry in the C:SM, I've wanted to make my own dual-thunder-hammer-wielding god of war. This was as close as I got. I decided not to go with the cables since the model was already pretty busy. If I were to do this again, I wouldn't use the commander caped-back - there's a whole lot of extra plastic under that cape, and it's not clear what goes where. I used mostly sanguinary guard bits (nipple-free, of course) as it really emphasizes the artificer armor

gallery_54762_5838_106869.jpg

Another side

gallery_54762_5838_185203.jpg

A more action-oriented shot

gallery_54762_5838_49419.jpg

Group shot!

Archived