Stoneburners - Chapter Champion (Dueling Master) WiP Model

Bryan Blaire

While not as nice as some being displayed on here (but they are starting to get better!), I'd invite you all to peruse my WiP: Stoneburners WiP

Didn't really want to repost all the pictures here for conservation of data space for the board owners.

I would appreciate any comments and suggestions from the group here.

I like it so far, but your terminators don't have bone feet, which they should have according to your color scheme pics. Other than that, I have no other criticisms.

edit: bone helmets too.

I like it so far, but your terminators don't have bone feet, which they should have according to your color scheme pics. Other than that, I have no other criticisms.

edit: bone helmets too.

Same thing I was going to post.

Your "ravenwing" looks good and love the white stripes on the helmets.

Yeah. All the Terminators are currently in for repainting. They still have all green torsos and greaves too. I'm trying to figure out just how much of Terminators and Command Squad need to be torn off so I can repaint them. The arms on the Command Squad Vet carrying the Plasma Gun were a pain to get set correctly the first time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Super-slow progress, but here is the beginning of the Deathwalker Terminators' repaints. I did this one as a proof of concept, and so far, I've only gotten the helmet, support "bones" and one foot about half way done. I have worked up in three layers from VGC Beasty Brown, 1:1 VGC Beasty Brown:Bonewhite, and VGC Bonewhite alone. I plan on adding highlights in 1:1 VGC Bonewhite:Dead White and then a final fine highlight in straight VGC Dead White. I can't say enough about how much I've enjoyed starting to use Vallejo Game Color. I've also noticed that I seriously didn't get all the mold lines on this guy, but it's a tad late now.

Anyway, on to the show! 360 degree view:

My wife's commentary on the bone foot is "It looks like a sneaker/running shoe!" I'm thinking she's wrong, but I could probably push the Bonewhite (Bleached Bone) up more to the joins so the lines across the foot aren't so broad/heavy.

Edit: old images removed, especially since they didn't look great. Find the new Deathwalker Terminator Prototype here!

What do you guys think?

I'm also looking at highlighting my black on the armor plates, I have Fenris Grey and Shadow Grey (VGC Sombre Grey) to make a more blue hued deep grey, Codex Grey (VGC Cold Grey) and Fortress Grey (VGC Stonewall Grey) for a more pure grey highlight, and VMC German Grey and VMC Dark Grey for a very dark grey color. I'm also looking at mixing black with any of the above to move from black to any of the above.

Any thoughts? I'm not wanting super-bright highlighting, but I'm thinking that just going from black to 1:1 Black:Fenris Grey then pure Fenris probably wouldn't be that great. What do people think would look good for the black highlighting, I haven't actually done any black highlighting at this point.

Come to think of it, it does look like a white running shoe. Other than that I love it, I love how you did the helmet of the Terminator great job.

I did notice one thing, on the "ear" of the Termie, because of the white, you can see the "flash" on it. I have a hard time taking them off myself and never notice until a pic is taken of them, just letting you know. I also love your purity seals, great job on the written words.

I'm also looking at highlighting my black on the armor plates, I have Fenris Grey and Shadow Grey (VGC Sombre Grey) to make a more blue hued deep grey, Codex Grey (VGC Cold Grey) and Fortress Grey (VGC Stonewall Grey) for a more pure grey highlight, and VMC German Grey and VMC Dark Grey for a very dark grey color. I'm also looking at mixing black with any of the above to move from black to any of the above.

Any thoughts? I'm not wanting super-bright highlighting, but I'm thinking that just going from black to 1:1 Black:Fenris Grey then pure Fenris probably wouldn't be that great. What do people think would look good for the black highlighting, I haven't actually done any black highlighting at this point.

Excellent work BB, really nice grimdark paint scheme and tidy paintwork.

Your repainted termy is first rate. I like the effort you put in to the 'gem' style eyes and lenses. Also the fire painted on a few of your vets shoulders is cool.

As for highlights, have you tried just using gunmetal lightly on the edges, it looks great on vehicles and would probably look equally good on dark termies. kind of like battle damage... Fortress grey is also a good highlight colour needs to be applied with the edge of a brush to keep it from being glunky though, you're up to it I'm sure.

On the down side your bases are way too plain for such well painted models, I hope you will upgrade these when you get time too :P And some words on the scrolling to 'complete' those models :D

Can't wait to see more..

Lance

Updated, now with more Deathwalker goodness!

Stoneburners WIP

I'll try to keep my updates more confined to one thread, hopefully it won't be as spastic.

I would definitely like to know what you guys think, here or there!

Thanks for the suggestions on the highlighting and supports. Haven't done the battle damage, I'm waiting on getting more done to see if I can do it as a group.

HsojVvad, Frater Uriah, Xyon, Makers, sar mikael, Candleshoes, thank you all a ton for the comments!

Stobz, thanks a ton! Yeah, basing is waiting until the army is mostly done, or until I have a good idea. I'm open to suggestions, as I was thinking of some kind of ash wastes or red desert with dead grass, but I'm not quite sure what would look good with the black and bone feet both.

Tanhausen, what do you think of the bone supports for the Terminator?

Edit: removed old images

Beautiful...its looking great!

Do you like better the effect?

Thanks! I think it works well, but I think I need to work on my shading some more for the bone. I don't think it has enough depth. I'll probably go back with some of the Bestial Brown+Bleached Bone color and try and shade down some toward the black on the bottom of the cross-ways supports.

I think my issue with highlighting the black is that I don't want to make it too gray looking, but at the same time, I feel like the way the light actually plays on the black of the model necessitates more highlighting that simply going over the edge, which will definitely cause some graying, as the only way I can think to do a more realistic highlighting would be using a NMM methodology. This would clash with the metallics I've already done though, and limits the viewing usefulness of the paint job, which would definitely interfere with my enjoyment while playing with the model in a game.

Really not sure on the basing scheme. :lol:

Okay, not a lot of progress, but I did try and take some pictures with less direct light on them.

First up, Deathwalker prototype: Link

Hopefully this shows a little bit more true color on the bone, as it isn't quite as bright as previous pictures I've taken have made it seem to me.

Boneseeker Tornado, painted the first layer of metal, washed to darken on the assault cannon, still need to highlight the entire model. The underside of the wings was painted lighter than previously done and I tried to paint the leading and back edges of the wings to blend between the bleached bone top to darker coloration on the bottom. Unfortunately I think it turned out more as a stark line, so I may need to go back and try and layer those edges better.

As far as basing, I've been looking at four examples from the GW site.

I'm concerned that the arid/desert type base would look too much like the sandy colored robes. Honestly, I favor first two, but I've been considering adding in a bit of dark red to either of the two schemes to distinguish the terrain as abnormal and provide some tie in to the power weapons, which I hope to redo as a more red iron/steel appearance. Which base would probably look best compared to what I've gotten painted so far?

Edit: Selected Basing Scheme:

gallery_59244_5847_53502.jpg

Edit: removed old images to clean up galleries. Added in new completed images.

Really nice clear colour there... very nice :lol: If you want to darken it a bit, just give it a light wash with gryphone sepia and it will tone it down.

As fot the bases...from those 4, I like the last (the one that comes alone on the left of your post).

Archived