Night Haunter's Guard

Whisper

Night Haunters Guard

(Image Heavy Thread)

The Plan

My current plan is to actually use the Sanguinary Guard models as the basis of this army in addition to blatantly stealing their rules. Since the Army will be very elite, and their appearance will be very ornate, I’ve decided that these aren’t just any old Night Lords, these will be the Night Haunter’s Guard! This force will represent the personal guard of the Night Haunter himself, hand picked by him in the time before the Heresy. I’ll need to make a new model to represent “Commander Dante” in a suitably evil looking form to lead them, with a new name to be chosen later. As for their story…

The Story

While much of the Night Lords legion fell to the temptations of Chaos and the power it brings, the Guard stayed above the temptations available, maintaining their armor and the purity of their Geneseed with a nearly religious fervor. They knew they were the best of the best, and would not be tempted with simple promises of power. Now this isn’t to say that they are “Good” Night Lords, not at all. In fact they revile the Emperor and the Imperium with every ounce of their being, for they were forced to literally step aside as the Emperor sent an assassin kill their beloved Primarch. It’s something they’ll never forget or forgive. Over time though, they’ve found uses for their demonically tainted brethren and aren’t opposed to using them as sacrificial shock troops to distract the enemy as they make their own approach on ancient wings.

So right now it’s Looking like the majority of the army will consist mostly of Sanguinary Guard (Night Haunter’s Guard), and I may include a few Vanguard Veteran squads (Possessed Looking Marines) to engage the enemy early and give the incoming Guard a chance without getting ripped apart.

http://nighthaunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/firstguard1.jpg

http://nighthaunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/guard2.jpg

http://nighthaunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/guard3.jpg

It might be hard to tell in the pictures, but I've either filed off the Blood Drops, or filed them down so they resemble gems more than Blood drops.

Also, there's alot of feathered wings, which I think will be fine, I'll still end up painting them red like proper Night Lord's wings should be. Besides, I like the look. :P

Anyway, I'll be updating this as I work on stuff, probably once or twice a week. ;)

i'm a night lord player myself and i used the sanguine guard parts for some of my own guys, but i spend a lot of time cutting and filing the blood angels iconography away.

your guys just look like blood angels sanguine guard with night lords pads and helmets to me. ;)

Well, like I said, it's kinda hard to tell, but I did file down the blood drops so they're more gem shaped, and less blood drop shaped.

Beyond that, I want to keep the wing motifs because I can totally see the feathers painted red, which will look pretty cool I think. In fact, I think that the traditional Dark Blue paint scheme with lightning and bronze trim will go quite a ways to making them look more like Night Lords and less like Sanguinary Guard, though I do certainly want to keep a bit of the Sanguinary feel as I see these serving a similar role at Night Haunter's side, before most of them went all chaos loony.

There's not a whole lot else to change on them without losing the ornate elements, especially since I don't want them to look overly obsessed with Chaos (a few chaos pieces here and there are fine), I'd prefer to have them looking more detached. Keeping that in mind, what else do you think would be appropriate to change?

I suppose I could file away the gems completely, I'm just worried the blank spots would look odd.

i don't like the whole wing thing, i don't think the personal guard of the night haunter would have used feathered wings, the night lords heraldy always displayed it as batlike wings, but if you dig it, go ahead it's your army :)

i filed most of the drops and covered the places with spikes or hooks from the chaos model range or green stuff ornaments.

Going with your current theme the only thing i'm worried about is how powerful your reds will be. Each model having both shoulderpads with wings, then wings on each pack is going to be heavy on reds on the sides and nowhere else. Have you thought about what color your power weapons will be?

I would consider keeping the shoulderpad iconography bone/red on blue and change the wings from being totally red to maybe red/brown or red/black, that way red wouldn't be so overpowering. I think i would do brown wings until you reach the tips of the quills, then mix some red in.

Hmmm... Well, I'm not opposed to changing direction a little. They're still new enough and I've only got three assembled at this point. So I've spiked them up a little (not too much, mostly just the top of the jetpacks), paid better attention to shaving the Blood drops off completely (put a spike in place of the powerfist blood drop), and most importantly, I'm heading to the store right now to look into buying some Gargoyles. I'll take the Angelic wings off the jump packs and see how they look with the Gargoyle wings instead. =)

Have you read Lord of the Night?

In it, Night Haunter has his own little elite circle, similar to Horus's Mournival, or Fulgrim's guys, etc.

Confirmed names from that book of Konrad's inner circle:

Zso Sahaal

Krieg Acerbus

i forget the name of what he called it though.

Have you read Lord of the Night?

In it, Night Haunter has his own little elite circle, similar to Horus's Mournival, or Fulgrim's guys, etc.

Confirmed names from that book of Konrad's inner circle:

Zso Sahaal

Krieg Acerbus

i forget the name of what he called it though.

Yep yep, that book was my main inspiration. It's what made me want to make a Night Lords army that was less chaos, and more regal. (But I see now that I may have strayed too far from the classic Night Lords look in the process)

Ok, now I'm really leaving to go to the store. lol :)

your guys just look like blood angels sanguine guard with night lords pads and helmets to me. :(

I'm inclined to agree with Wicced here. I mean they look cool and all, but I don't know if they would use feathered wings. All the feathery stuff is very reminiscent of angels and birds and things, where the Night Lords are supposed to be kinda the opposite, the way I see it anyway.

In fact I'm not sure Night Haunter would have a personal guard at all but that's a whole nother discussion :devil:

But they do look good, and it's your army, so I say go for it.

Gargoyle wings would definitely be a step in favor of the whole night lords theme, but arn't they kinda small at the part where you would attach them to the backpack? Might need something to bulk out the attachment. Good Luck!

By the way, I think that the concept and idea for the army is great, can't wait to see how it will come out!

Actually, I'm really digging the winged backpacks. I think with a proper paintjob they could look great. However, I'm not keen on the choices of heads. The first model is just how I envisage the Night Lords elite, while 2 and 3 don't really do it for me. #1 feels menacing and sinister, while #2 and #3 a little less so. Perhaps if you painted a skull motif on the helmets it might improve it? I don't know. Just my 2c.

Actually, I'm not sure I'm really digging the muscle-y armour either. For Night Lords it might be cool showing some bones instead, like sculpting ribs on the outside of the armour.

But I'll stop bothering you now :lol:

Ok, so after further thought and taking your comments into consideration, they've gone through some changes. :lol:

http://nighthaunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/NightLord1.jpg

http://nighthaunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/NightLord2.jpg

http://nighthaunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/NightLord3.jpg

They've gotten spiked up some (on the jet packs), the model in the third picture now has a spikey chain hanging from the axe handle, and I think there was another change too...

Oh yeah!

They all got bat wings!

I liked the noble look they had previously, but you guys were right, I'd lost too much of the Night Lord look by keeping the angel wings. So I just rushed off to the store and bought some Gargoyles (I don't plan on rushing off to the store after every suggestion, lol).

Anyway, thanks for your comments!

@Ravendove Oh yeah, all of the guard are definitely gonna get their helms painted with a skull motif. The "Sanguinary Priests", and Vanguard maybe not so much, just to help them stand out. (Well besides the fact that the vanguard will be assembled using some possessed parts).

@GooseDaMoose Heh, the Muscle armor is definitely staying, I'm not quite willing to lose that. But the Vanguard models (that will come in the distant future) will probably make heavy use of the ribcage torso that comes with the possessed.

I thought they looked sweet with original wings, but now, OMG, would scare the poop out of me seeing those guys appear out of the shadows, looking forward to seeing more

I'd suggest giving them giant chainsaws like Seth. It would look pretty brutal. Also, I reckon you should fill in the groves in the leg armour and knee plates. Might help them look less like Blood Angels and give you a chance to paint lightning bolts on easier. You could even sculpt on trim or add studs to them.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

@Terrible_Trygon, Part of the reason the idea for this project jumped into my head was because I thought the muscled armor could look really cool with a Night Lords paint scheme. So for now I'll be leaving the grooves in the armor on the legs and see how it goes. Thanks for the idea though!

Anyway, here's the last two members of the first squad. :D

http://nighthaunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/NightLord4.jpg

http://nighthaunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/NightLord5.jpg

Next up, I'll either be painting these guys or creating the Night Priests (Sanguinary Priests).

I think I've decided that only the models actually equipped with Artificer armor should have the Sanguinary Guard bodies.

So I'd want a way for the priests to still seem special. Right now I'm considering starting with either the Aspiring Champion torso (with the chainmail loincloth) or ordering up some of the ribcaged torsos from the possessed sprues to give them a unique feel. I haven't decided yet... What do you guys think?

Love em mate! Heve been after the gargoyl wings idea myself sins they where relesed so... Wicked to se them in use and to have my idea look like a good idea too :D will do some myself thanks to you mate! cheers on cool models!

p.s Id like to see a "Thyko" NL version btw :D could be cool and fitting... the Phantom of the opera with full Dread look...

The ribcage torso would look good, Abd be pretty inromic considering they're healers, but I'm nit sure what they are inyour fluff. Keep up the great work though.
To be honest... I haven't decided that myself. I just know I want them in my list for the Feel No Pain. :D

Archived