Order of the Crimson Tear

S'jet

Ok, firstly im very new to 40k, i havent played a game, and wanted to start with an army i may like the playstyle of. Close range rapid fire, flaming mayhem seems to be a whole lot of fun to me! So once i have 500pts or so, ill head up to my local games workshop store (Swansea) and try out the game =)

My first squad is nearly finished, and to be honest i found it very hard to paint 5 models at once, twice over. I play some anima tactics, so im only used to painting single figures, and painting squads was a learning experience for sure. Just afew more bits to do, and the light is fading here so only had a chance for a quick pic with my webcam, but here they are -

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv205/Sjetaj/Sisters%20of%20Battle/SoB_Squad1.jpg

Bad pic, sorry. Im still learning. Will try get better ones when i have more to show. I need to do a burnt effect on the flamer barrels and meltagun, the flames on the superiors backpack, and some green half the grenades and gunlenses. And of course, finish the scroll. If you know to do the burnt effect for the barrels please let me know, as i dont! Same for painting fire. Ive never had to do them before =_

And comments and critiques, please dont hesitate and thanks for reading.

Happy gaming!

I usually do flamer/melta burn like this: mix chaos black/shining gold about 20/80 and just keep adding black to the mix towards the end of the barrel. I also use this on tank/dreadnought exhausts. Once your putting on pure chaos black you're done.

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/8182/flamerburn.jpg

Simply gorgeous models. I'll try and explain how I do my own scorched/burnt approach to flame based weapons, though it's kind of hard to put into words. First, base boltgun metal, crevices/nooks/crannies and all. Second, wash Devlan mud until all said nooks and crannies are a dark brown (one heavy wash is normally sufficient). Now, the weird part is in successive Sepia washes. The first and possibly second washes should cover the entirety of the barrel/nozzle. Once the whole thing has a slight golden-brownish hue, wash with Sepia again, but only the end half or so. Finally, the last washes should cover only the business end of the gun. It should create a successively darkening brown from the far back to the tip of the gun. I'll work on showing an example from my own models when I've got time to edit an image.

Again, burn marks aside, gorgeous work thus far.

Hey guys, small update on the scorch marks on barrels. I used successive sepia washes, and badab black near the tips, and I really like it....

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv205/Sjetaj/Sisters%20of%20Battle/FlamerBarrel.jpg

Thanks for all suggestions on how to do it and all your comments.

Now, to finish up the rest of the details.

Thanks =)

I really wish I could paint flesh as well as you.

Its the final highlight that really made it pop for me, just go sparingly with it. The original tone i came up with was too dark for what i wanted, so i switched up some shades and ended with-

Elf Flesh

Blackline Mouth/Eyes/Edge with watered Chaos black(not badab) .

Orgyn Flesh Wash (avoid eyes and mouth)

Skull white + Chaos Black on Eyes / teeth

Elf Flesh

Elf Flesh / Light Flesh (Vallejo)

Light Flesh (Vallejo)

I'm having trouble with the torch on the superier's backpack. I've been reading articles on painting fire but... not turning out how I like atm.

Ive also been busy assembling their Rhino, considering converting to a repressor with plasticard. Doesn't look too difficult to add a bit to the rear compartment. The painting of it is scareing me though heh. Large flat surfaces with a brush? anyone got any tips to make it go on smooth? I always dilute paint obviously, and i bought a larger brush, but is there more to it?

And lastly, been thinking of a conversion for a canoness (i want one on foot with retinue to start, and then get into the flying nun of doom).

They look really good! Imagine how amazing it'd be to see an army of them :D

I use the same method as you do scorch barrels - it looks good but can be a bit of a pain to do build up all those wash coats. I've painted a lot of tanks with nice coats as I love them. It isn't too hard you'll be pleased to know.

A large flat brush is naturally the place the start, and building up thin coats is what you need to get a nice covering as large flat surfaces are prone to exposing brush strokes. Make you sure always go in the same direction with the brush and don't rush and it'll turn out fine. Whenever I'm in doubt I just spread the paint out more to give a thinner coat.

Recently I've been "dragging" a bit of paint across repeatedly to get a good covering bit this was for repainting models so I'm not sure how it might work on a new one? All that said, experiment to see what works for you - that's why the Emperor invented the underside of a tank :D

something i've found quite good is to load the muzzle with black or brown wash and let the model hang in such a way that the muzzle points down making sure that it doesn't touch anything.

as it dries the it will get darker closer to the end of the muzzle, it takes a while to dry but looks quite good when finished

They look really good! Imagine how amazing it'd be to see an army of them :D

Exactly what went through my mind when i finished the test model! Whilst the gold armour takes a while to paint, i think it'll be worth it in the end when a mass of gold shinyness fills the table. :lol:

..that's why the Emperor invented the underside of a tank :P

Good plan. I've also got a roughed up Rhino that i got in the deal for my sisters, so could use that also.

I've finished the brazier on the Superior's backpack. Cant say im completely satisfied with it. It's ok i guess, maybe at a later poiint ill come back to it. Im also rethinking my method to paint the hair (Bleached bone, wash). Comes out a little messy...

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv205/Sjetaj/Sisters%20of%20Battle/Squad1_Superior.jpg

Next up is the Rhino for the squad, and then a Celestian squad with Immolator. After that its a Palatine model i can use in combat patrol which will later be a canoness.

Thanks again for suggetions on the scorching. I'm happy with the way it turned out.

I remember reading somewhere here of a brilliant blonde method: just apply Griffin Sepia to white hair. Works really well though obviously only on hair with recesses like Sisters.

Looking forward to seeing more, and hopefully soon an army shot :P

Hey guys. Just wanted to share my progress on my first tank ever... a Rhino. Sorry the pics are a bit dark.

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv205/Sjetaj/Sisters%20of%20Battle/Rhino_WIP1.jpg

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv205/Sjetaj/Sisters%20of%20Battle/Rhino_WIP2.jpg

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv205/Sjetaj/Sisters%20of%20Battle/Rhino_WIP3.jpg

I need to get better at assembling vehicles. The gaps were annoying but at the time i didnt have anything to fill them with. I've since been to my local craft shop and bought some supplies which will help me for the next time.

The gold has come out ok, though i'm not liking the way the washes have left untidy marks..... any way to fix this or stop it happening?

The red isn't finished yet, but is coming along, and I haven't started on any white parts yet. Do you guys think there is too much gold on it? I will be adding some extra details like the symbols on the sprue etc after i've finished painting everything else, so i get a better idea of where they will look best.

I'm also researching weathering, another new thing to me. I'm thinking a grey/black style (dust + soot) to stand out from the gold better instead of browns (mud). What do you guys think? =)

That looks great! Good job :) As for washes, the only way I know is to try and be careful applying and touching up afterwards.

I think the gold is fine, it looks good as it is and if you're really that worried when you finish the other bits they'll break it up so it will look "less" :)

• 3 weeks later...

Squad 2 complete (minus 1 decal). Dont have time to set up camera properly, so just a quick snap. I like how the superior turned out. Cheers guys! Have fun

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv205/Sjetaj/Sisters%20of%20Battle/Squad2.jpg

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv205/Sjetaj/Sisters%20of%20Battle/Squad2_Superior.jpg

Archived