WIP DA shots

skink

Nice to see you making progress skink. I've reverted back to hating painting, but this new ETL vow might ignite my spark once again. Very nice work on your old school vindicator, and congrats on having 2000 points painted! I'm almost up to that point myself, hopefully I'll get there soon.

I have a thing for DA assault marines... It is that they are so overlooked in the current Codex it's unfair (fluff wise). If anything it is us that should have a "Descent of Angels" special rule! :)

Go for it skink - for the Lion!!! ;)

Those DW CMLs..............EPIC!!! I realy like your dark green. that is how the Unforgiven are supposed to look, dark and brooding. sometimes I look at some DA armies and they kinda look like slightly darker Salamanders. Don't get me wrong, I love the sallies, but the green is kinda gaerish. oh and major props on the old school tanks..........I frikken love those darn things.

Thanks for the ongoing praise guys, really helps keep me motivated!

Been motoring with the Assault Marines, the ETL and support it elicits has me inspired once again!!

gallery_53104_7239_929835.jpg

gallery_53104_7239_1097038.jpg

All that's left for these guys is a quick Codex Grey highlight on chest aquilas/skulls/pads etc. and then a Snot Green edge highlight for the armour; should get that done this afternoon. Sorry for the dark pictures, the weather is miserable today. The green is very dark, but it's amazing what a subtle lighter green can do for the overall effect. I still am surprised when the whole model, having looked a bit pants for 85% of the painting time, comes together right at the end!

Cheers now...

+ VOW STAGE II complete +

Man, a few quick edge highlights took loads longer than I was expecting... Sheesh. Anyway, here is the completed Assault squad...

gallery_53104_7239_756140.jpg

gallery_53104_7239_46007.jpg

They look a touch flat in the pictures (desaturated perhaps?) but they are a bit richer in the flesh.

So, I think as I have two months to go, I'd better extend for a 3rd time!! Will this be the last?? I have no idea... I pledge to complete a 10 man Tactical Squad, including a power weapon, lascannon and plasmagun, for points value 215.

gallery_53104_7239_1444817.jpg

Here we go again...

• 3 weeks later...

I am delighted to announce that my ETL Vow III is complete! That's 605 points in the bank for the Dark Angels.

gallery_53104_7239_2195704.jpg

gallery_53104_7239_2239818.jpg

This means that, including non-ETL material, in less than 3 months I have painted half a company, three transports and a Whirlwind - I feel stoked! When the light is better in the morning I'll get shots of my complete vow (a Whirly, an Assault Squad and a Tactical Squad), and also of the complete half company.

Not sure how the next 6 weeks are going to pan out (I think the girly is going to want some attention...) but if I feel I can safely vow more, I shall. It'd be nice to push 1000 points, but I can't promise anything...

Rest of the DA: Keep fighting the good fight!

This sergeant is something else!!! - Oh the memories... :P Half a comp - wow!

Well done skink - you are an army of one! Three vows!!! wow! Now go give that girl of yours the required amount of attention but keep an eye on the ETL - we might need your services still...

skink:

I'm not sure how I've managed to miss three pages worth of this thread, but I'm glad I finally discovered it. The quality of your miniatures is impressive, but doubly so when one considers the speed at which you work. I really like how the robes turned out on the tactical squad.

I'm a big fan of group shots; I'm looking forward to your upcoming photos!

FC

Thanks for the kind words guys, it's really encouraging to hear! The guys in the store are amazed at my speed of painting too, but as I tell them, the quality doesn't change regardless of the time I spend on them, so I might as well crank them out!!!

This first photo is of my completed ETL vow: a Whirlwind, an Assault Squad and a Tactical Squad (completed in that order). The following photos are of my demi-company plus Whirlwind; these have all been completed since early April.

gallery_53104_7239_1538909.jpg

gallery_53104_7239_613192.jpg

gallery_53104_7239_404505.jpg

gallery_53104_7239_315763.jpg

Next on the To Do list is a 2nd Assault Squad (made and based), a 4th Tactical squad (made and based), a 2nd Devastator Squad (made, based and primed) and a Command Squad (made, based, and half primed). Then Ezekiel (to use as a standard Librarian if necessary). I would like to get these and an additional 2 Tactical Squads and 2 Rhino/Razorbacks completed by the end of 2012 i.e. an full Company, with a command group and 5 transports.

Then... Asmodai and Azrael. Then chapter, company and squad markings for everyone. That's going to take a while; I don't like the glossy rim that transfers always seem to develop, but I'm currently loathe to free hand. I'm hoping my technique and confidence will have improved in 6 months.

Also, I really need to work on my photography, I find the concept of lighting tricky. My girlfriend is, amongst other things, a professional photographer, so I should really get her involved...

Well done if you read all that waffle, hopefully I'll get some time to vow something else for the ETL. I built some metal Crusader sponsons last night, there's a bunch of Land Raider sprues staring at me...

You are going fast there - and good quality paint job too.

Are you trying to win the ETL on your own? ;)

Wow awesome painting speed, i could use a share of that...i only have 8 models to do, in the process of base coating them...or to be more precise im relearning to paint after like 6-7 years! :P

I even skipped the test model phase, directely vowing ;)

For the shiny rim of those decals, there are many techniques to make them not visible...about freehanding(hate it myself), do you use wet or a dry palette? It instantely raised my selfconfidence with painting to a point where i say, theres much more possible than with my old technique even freehanding...all i need is practise, practise and practise :)

Love to see some of those stoneage DA models...damn i need to test paintstripping after the ETL :)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I have a free weekend so am going to risk adding to my vow; a Devastator squad with plasma pistol, 2 x plasma cannons and 2 x missiles (270).

Here it is slapped together from 12 year old Tacticals, some heavy weapons, and a cool (but pretty much useless) Sergeant.

gallery_53104_7239_236407.jpg

The photo was taken proactively ages ago, hence the now-painted Tactical squad in the background. Five PAs are DA-base coated, and the three robes are dheneb-base coated. Would like to have all the armour and robes shaded by then end of play today.

And then it was done... Pleased to report Stage IV is complete!

gallery_53104_7239_2297929.jpg

gallery_53104_7239_269145.jpg

This puts me at 875 complete. I would dearly like to break the 1000 point boundary, and have Ezekiel ready and waiting. I'm going to wait for a clear weekend however, as I don't want to undo all of my good work...

For now, this is me. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Uhr!

So, here's Ezekiel... Think I might actually do a series of WIP shots for this guy (rather than a before and after) as I'm going to take my time with lots of thin paint layers and tidy (I hope!) highlights; I've even treated myself to a new brush for him.

And so it begins...

gallery_53104_7239_2376424.jpg

Just a quick note... Who remembers VanSan? He was a simply brilliant painter who had some of the best looking DeathWing I've ever seen. He also did something quite special with his power armoured special characters, and I'm taking his lead...

Check this bad boy out.

Of course I'm not trying to recreate it (my skills are lightyears behind his) but it was definitely an inspiration; what a mini.

I'll tag back in with some WIPs later...

VOW COMPLETE! I have broken the 1000 point mark, and am pretty pleased with how Ezekiel has turned out. The finished product is below; I have taken WIP shots, and will post them up with my recipes if anyone is interested (I won't be offended if not, don't worry!). Freehanding isn't as hard to make look tabletop OK as I thought, so I might have to go back over my battle company squads and smash on some DA symbols.

Enjoy!

NB: Seeing the pictures up close, it looks a little chalky in places (particularly on the armour; I don't mind it on the skulls so much). Would a wet palette and lots of thinner paint layers fix that?

gallery_53104_7239_1705696.jpg

gallery_53104_7239_2094673.jpg

gallery_53104_7239_1762859.jpg

I just started using a wet palette on my Deathwing and have noticed that the thinner paint and lots of coats do really help get rid of the chalkiness. Even with the new foundation white it is still a lot of coats. Sometimes it feels like I'm basting a turkey instead of painting a model.

Free evenings and free weekends cause skink to make daft last minute decisions...

I'm going to complete a 2nd Tactical squad (180 points) to make a legal 1250(ish!) point list (Ezekiel, 2 Tacs, 1 Assault, 1 Dev, Whirlwind) out of my ETL vows. I also have another Assault Squad ready and waiting if this one gets done by mid Saturday to take me to 1500 (and, incidentally, only 2 Tac squads away from a full company since April time).

However, I'll have to put on my big boy pants to get 20 marines done by mid-next week... Never say never though... Wish me (and the rest of the DA painting team!) luck for this final last push. Gotta beat those Wolves...

gallery_53104_7239_1118544.jpg

Great work Skink, excellent painting and just amazing given the timescale!

Brave move with a full tac squad at the end, but to be able to claim a fully legal army painted during the ETL is pretty damned cool. I know what you mean about hitting 1500 points though, its a great claim to be able to make

Had a re-read of the last few posts, and kind words from all guys, thank you very much for the encouragement.

Real life is being a bit of a pain in the... ...haunch... at the moment, so I am house bound, but therefore am able to paint more than I was expecting. As such, the Tactical squad will be finished in a couple of hours. I'll take a break tomorrow, then maybe start again on Saturday.

However, I got bored doing Snot Green highlights, so had a punt at doing some freehand squad markings. This lead to purity scripts, a company badge (go 5th!) and the DA chapter badge on one of the finished guys.

Not completely happy with the chapter badge up close, but it looks fine from a few feet away. Squad markings were quick and super easy, and aside from a slightly thick number, I think they look effective. Here's a taster; I won't do it for the whole squad for my vow (as I haven't done these for any other of my squads, so don't feel like I'm cutting corners) and would rather get another Assault squad done over the weekend. Markings can be an ongoing project once the company is complete. Does anyone know what the 5th Company company banner looks like by the way?

gallery_53104_7239_764117.jpg

gallery_53104_7239_370431.jpg

gallery_53104_7239_1072594.jpg

Only took and hour and a half :P Vow VI complete, powered by the Olympics. Going to have to wait to see how I feel on Saturday before I vow again, but those Assault Marines are looking at me funny.

Come on DA!

gallery_53104_7239_511875.jpg

Archived