Grey Knights: Fighting Orks

Cmdr Shepard

I'm planning to play Grey Knights in a highly competitive 2000 points match against Orks and I need your help in finding the best tactics against them.

I don't know what list my opponent will play but I know how Orks are generally played at my local store.

The main body of the army is usually selected among these options.

1. Thraka and huge hordes of Boyz.

2. Huge hordes of Boyz. Thraka with a unit of orks in mega Armour.

Sometimes these lists use battlewagons. They frequently feature lootas.

Around the main body a various number of units is gathered so I'd need "general purpose" strategy.

I heard ideas about building bikes or mek themed lists but it seems no one in my local store collected them.

I have few ideas about the list. If you don't agree with them please let me know, so i can correct my strategy.

1. Purifiers seems mandatory against Orks. Do you suggest 10 men squads? Incinerators should be of extreme use against orks. I still think to use several psycannons too. Maybe I should select Crowe for HQ, so I can deploy purifiers as troops.

2. The tech-marine's Orbital Strike appears interesting but I'm unsure if its cost justifies its efficiency. What about a "standard" tech-marine?

3. Since I'll invest most of the available points in anti-horde/infantry units I may lack of anti-thank fire if he deploys Killa cans and/or deff dreads. Vindicare should easily deal even with AV 14 battlewagons. Beside he can target models equiped with power fist like weapons inside hordes, removing saves from HQ, etc.

Other anti-vehicle option are more expensive, apart from razorbacks. Acolytes armed with metlaguns inside a chimera is a viable option but it rises the next issue.

4. Vehicles. Are vehicles efficient against orks or should I invest points in infantry units? In my local store lootas and burna boyz have a feared reputation of tanks annihilators.

5. What do you think about Dreads and Dreadknights?

The psyflame dread is considered an anti-horde model but it is less powerful than a 5 man purifier squad with 2 incinerators or a purgation squad with 4 free incinerators.

Dreadknights possess many "Area of Effect" weapons.

6. Grenades sound quite appealing. Rad will bring orsks' T to 3 while psychotroke grenades may cause amusing effects. What's your opinion?

7. HQ choice. Crowe is instrumental in making purifiers troops. I tend to include often an Ordo Xeno Inquisitor with a collection of grenades but I find a Librarian very useful against orks? What do you suggest?

Than You for your help, fellow players .

I don't know alot about the GK Dex, but i do play against Orks a lot.

About the Lootas thing, they are very good. 1-3 Strength 7 shots a turn, at 48'' range, for 15 points.

They'll eat anything up to AV 12 fairly handily, and they'll eventually glance AV13 to death. They can't touch AV14 though, something to think about.

Ive found pinning weapons to be really useful against them, since they usually park themselves in the backfield and stay there in small numbers. Keep pinning them each turn or get them to run off the board.

I don't know alot about the GK Dex, but i do play against Orks a lot.

About the Lootas thing, they are very good. 1-3 Strength 7 shots a turn, at 48'' range, for 15 points.

They'll eat anything up to AV 12 fairly handily, and they'll eventually glance AV13 to death. They can't touch AV14 though, something to think about.

Ive found pinning weapons to be really useful against them, since they usually park themselves in the backfield and stay there in small numbers. Keep pinning them each turn or get them to run off the board.

Thanks for the advices. Just a question. What orks' weapons can deal with AV14?

Orks have a really tough time with Land Raiders because of their need to engage in close combat to effectively destroy them. Shokk attack guns are the only ranged weapons that pose a serious threat to LRs at range. That being said, if the LR becomes immobilized, then the probability of the LR surviving the match plummets to almost nothing.

I'd prepare for this fight like I'd prepare for any other fight: gunline with counter assault.

2 or 3 strike squads, backed up by a squad of purifiers, a vindicare, one or two rifledreads, and a LRC or two, led by an Inquisitor accompanying some death cult assassins would be my recommendation.

Strike Squads put out decent firepower at range and aren't totally helpless in close combat. These guys will form the basis of your gunline, as they move and shoot as needed.

Purifiers are self explanatory. I personally recommend a squad of Purifiers with 4 Psycannons and a master crafted daemon hammer. Skimpy on upgrades, but it puts out a hell of a lot of firepower. Kept behind your strike squads, these will provide you with the immediate counter-assault power to keep boyz weary.

The vindicare is there to do two things: Destroy transports, and shoot nobz. Just keep him somewhere high, and he should do his job.

Rifle Dreads bring you long range mobile firepower to use against trukks and wagons on side armor. These will also do reliable damage against disembarked infantry if you manage to handle all the armor on the board.

The LRC brings the rock to your game. The LRC will be the toughest thing to kill in your list hands down. Put the inquisitor and his playmates into the LRC, and charge when the opportunity arises. One charge from a full squad of 12 DCA (with rad and psycho nade support) will kill just about anything, whether it be a squad of boyz or a super unit of nobz. This unit will be your trump card, and will definitely punish the ork player for jumping into assault.

The basis of the list will be to move and shoot from turn 1, forcing your opponent to close the distance and unleashing your firepower to soften the inevitable charge. This is where I also recommend the Librarian with Sanctuary, as orks typically have lots of boyz charging. Dangerous Terrain becomes a large concern as it will whittle down boyz before the assault begins, which is definitely not harmful to you at all. Once the orks charge and hit whatever you put up front (hopefully not much), you counter charge and obliterate them with purifiers and the DCA.

While orks may not always play the close combat game, it will always be their most effective method of warfare, which works out to your advantage by making them predictable. If your opponent decides to do shoota boyz and stands off at 18" to trade volleys with you, don't be alarmed. Grey Knights hold the definite advantage in the shooting phase, so stick to cover and return fire with all the psycannons/autocannons/assault cannons you should have.

Thanks for the advices. Just a question. What orks' weapons can deal with AV14?

Well theres the Shokk Attack gun which mauls just about everything, if your opponent is lucky. Luckily its carried around by a fairly fragile (for a big gun holder) mek, so you can eliminate it. Plus the fact that he might kill himself/his own army with it, can be a laugh.

Theres also the Ork ''Big guns'' which are basically artillery pieces crewed by Grots, but you probably won't see a lot of these. They seem fairly unpopular.

Apart from that, its basically just Powerclaws. Powerclaws are what keeps the whole horde going. By themselves, Ork Boyz arent thaaaaaat scary, its the untouchable Nob with PK that is the real killer in the unit.

Don't be afraid to take the fight to the enemy, anyway. Ive had 5 man Combat squads of Tactical marines + a Dread or a Captain attack and run down big Ork mobs plenty of times. The trick is to make sure you get the charge, Orks don't like being strength 3 in combat.

Orks have a really tough time with Land Raiders because of their need to engage in close combat to effectively destroy them. Shokk attack guns are the only ranged weapons that pose a serious threat to LRs at range. That being said, if the LR becomes immobilized, then the probability of the LR surviving the match plummets to almost nothing.

I'd prepare for this fight like I'd prepare for any other fight: gunline with counter assault.

2 or 3 strike squads, backed up by a squad of purifiers, a vindicare, one or two rifledreads, and a LRC or two, led by an Inquisitor accompanying some death cult assassins would be my recommendation.

Strike Squads put out decent firepower at range and aren't totally helpless in close combat. These guys will form the basis of your gunline, as they move and shoot as needed.

Purifiers are self explanatory. I personally recommend a squad of Purifiers with 4 Psycannons and a master crafted daemon hammer. Skimpy on upgrades, but it puts out a hell of a lot of firepower. Kept behind your strike squads, these will provide you with the immediate counter-assault power to keep boyz weary.

The vindicare is there to do two things: Destroy transports, and shoot nobz. Just keep him somewhere high, and he should do his job.

Rifle Dreads bring you long range mobile firepower to use against trukks and wagons on side armor. These will also do reliable damage against disembarked infantry if you manage to handle all the armor on the board.

The LRC brings the rock to your game. The LRC will be the toughest thing to kill in your list hands down. Put the inquisitor and his playmates into the LRC, and charge when the opportunity arises. One charge from a full squad of 12 DCA (with rad and psycho nade support) will kill just about anything, whether it be a squad of boyz or a super unit of nobz. This unit will be your trump card, and will definitely punish the ork player for jumping into assault.

The basis of the list will be to move and shoot from turn 1, forcing your opponent to close the distance and unleashing your firepower to soften the inevitable charge. This is where I also recommend the Librarian with Sanctuary, as orks typically have lots of boyz charging. Dangerous Terrain becomes a large concern as it will whittle down boyz before the assault begins, which is definitely not harmful to you at all. Once the orks charge and hit whatever you put up front (hopefully not much), you counter charge and obliterate them with purifiers and the DCA.

While orks may not always play the close combat game, it will always be their most effective method of warfare, which works out to your advantage by making them predictable. If your opponent decides to do shoota boyz and stands off at 18" to trade volleys with you, don't be alarmed. Grey Knights hold the definite advantage in the shooting phase, so stick to cover and return fire with all the psycannons/autocannons/assault cannons you should have.

Your advices are very appreciated.

Why do you not recommend a puriefier based list? Is it due to their cost? Their psychic power can really hurt orks but it seems we can still wipe them out in CC without investing so many points in more than one unit of puriefier. Am I right?

So that's the first "list draft"

Ordo Xeno Inquisitor

Rad and psycho nades, power armour. [are servo-skulls necessary?]

Warband

12 death cult assassins

Librarian

Warding stave [maybe it is redundant but I thought the character needs the best protection he can get], Powers: Sanctuary, Warp Rift, Shrouding and Might of Titan.

10 men Strike Squad x 3

2 psycannons and 1 hammer

10 men Purifier Squad

4 psycannons, Justicar with MC hammer.

Vindicare

Land Raider Crusader

Psyrifle Dreadnought

37 points still available

What do you think?

Well theres the Shokk Attack gun which mauls just about everything, if your opponent is lucky. Luckily its carried around by a fairly fragile (for a big gun holder) mek, so you can eliminate it. Plus the fact that he might kill himself/his own army with it, can be a laugh.

You mean the blast weapon that remove any hit model when you roll double 6, right? It's a 36" range weapon, if I remember correctly.

Apart from that, its basically just Powerclaws. Powerclaws are what keeps the whole horde going. By themselves, Ork Boyz arent thaaaaaat scary, its the untouchable Nob with PK that is the real killer in the unit.

That's why a Vindicare is so useful. You said you didn't have C:GK but maybe you know the play controlling a Vindicare can allocate the wounds among enemy unit's model. That means a great chance to kill the now touchable Nob with PK :cuss

Don't be afraid to take the fight to the enemy, anyway. Ive had 5 man Combat squads of Tactical marines + a Dread or a Captain attack and run down big Ork mobs plenty of times. The trick is to make sure you get the charge, Orks don't like being strength 3 in combat.

That's a very useful advice. I already knew orks are less scary when they are charged but I always thought the strength of their number would have overwhelmed a small combat squad. The knowledge you shared is indeed very useful, as I said before.

I don't recommend a purifier spam list for one reason: tailoring. Purifier lists are a hellish match-up for any horde army like orks and tyranids, but they also have the weakness of limited deployment options and inadequate deep strike defense. While this stuff may not matter in a single game, I always plan out my lists assuming that the list will be unchanged from opponent to opponent, and thus like to keep my options open. Strike Squads, while not as offensively powerful as Purifiers in close combat, are cheaper, provide deep strike defense, have the ability to deep strike themselves, and allow better HQ choices to be made. They are the better all around choice.

Also, remember that those are my recommendations on how to make a certain army build work for this match-up. You don't have to make an army that's exactly what I prescribe, it just has to perform the same way. Terminator lists can definitely do the same thing, as can purifier builds. The thing to remember here is that this is your army, your preferences. I lay out my preferences according to the way I think is the most efficient, but it is only my opinion. That build is not the only viable option, so don't force yourself to follow my advice word for word. If you keep in mind that your list must be able to deal with armor and follow up with anti-infantry firepower, then you will be fine.

I don't recommend a purifier spam list for one reason: tailoring. Purifier lists are a hellish match-up for any horde army like orks and tyranids, but they also have the weakness of limited deployment options and inadequate deep strike defense. While this stuff may not matter in a single game, I always plan out my lists assuming that the list will be unchanged from opponent to opponent, and thus like to keep my options open. Strike Squads, while not as offensively powerful as Purifiers in close combat, are cheaper, provide deep strike defense, have the ability to deep strike themselves, and allow better HQ choices to be made. They are the better all around choice.

The campaign I'm currently playing has a peculiarity: every player knows what the opponents will play. That's why I try to create "hellish match-up" lists. Since I know what I'll fight I seek a "high-specificity approach". After all any of my opponents tries to use anti-GK list when they play against me and I want to reserve them the same courtesy. When my GK won 3 out of 3 games they became the "public enemy" of the current event... :)

The HQ choices becomes very limited once you are forced to play a particular character in order to deploy an elite unit as a troop choice: that's indeed a serious limitation.

I must say that when I read your "set up" I found it extremely efficient for a standard tournament. when you don't know what you will have to fight you must do "all around choices".

I'm not a veteran of the game, thus I ask you if, for that particular "hellish match-up" can make my army competitive. I collect warhammer 40k mins from about one year and this is my first campaign/tournament so I want to be competive ;)

Thank you for the assistance, Spartan ;)

You mean the blast weapon that remove any hit model when you roll double 6, right? It's a 36" range weapon, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, its always AP2 large blast, but the strength varies. Sometimes it'll teleport the Mek across the board or hit his own troops my accident though.

That's why a Vindicare is so useful. You said you didn't have C:GK but maybe you know the play controlling a Vindicare can allocate the wounds among enemy unit's model. That means a great chance to kill the now touchable Nob with PK ;)

Definitely, that sounds worth doing. Keep in mind the Nobs will have 2 wounds though, so that'd be two rounds of shooting unless the Vindicare's shots are strength 8 / cause multiple wounds.

That's a very useful advice. I already knew orks are less scary when they are charged but I always thought the strength of their number would have overwhelmed a small combat squad. The knowledge you shared is indeed very useful, as I said before.

Yeah, another good reason to do it is because the Ork player won't expect it. And remember, for every wound you win the combat by, Ork Mobs of 11 or more will take another wound. You can really lay the hurt on an Ork mob fairly easily, and i imagine the GK are better in combat than C:SM Tacticals (who suck, tbh. But better to charge than be charged.)

Definitely, that sounds worth doing. Keep in mind the Nobs will have 2 wounds though, so that'd be two rounds of shooting unless the Vindicare's shots are strength 8 / cause multiple wounds.

Vindicare is equiped with sniper AP1 weapons (36" rifle and 12" pistol) and uses special ammunition. One shot wounds on 2+, another remove any inv. save granted by equipment and the last causes 2 wounds or roll 4D6 for armour penetration. Every round is no longer "single use" as it was under the old DH codex.

and i imagine the GK are better in combat than C:SM Tacticals (who suck, tbh. But better to charge than be charged.)

WS, S ,T and number of attacks are the same (at least for what concerns strike Squad, tacticals equivalent) but they have strombolter and a Force Weapon and one of their psychic powers gives +1 S.

In the case of a tailor free zone, I'd use something like this:

2000 pts "Ork Hell"

HQ

Crowe: 150 pts

OX Inquisitor: Rad & Psycho Nades - 50 pts

Troops

Purifier Squad: 10 Purifiers, 4 Psycannons, Hammer - 285 pts

Heavy Support

Land Raider Redeemer: Mmelta - 255 pts

Dreadnought: 2x TLAC, Psybolts - 135 pts

This gives you all the shooting and assault power you'll need to make the orks run home and cry. Also, throw Crowe into Thraka for lols and watch him kill Ghaz when he dies.

In the case of a tailor free zone, I'd use something like this:

2000 pts "Ork Hell"

HQ

Crowe: 150 pts

OX Inquisitor: Rad & Psycho Nades - 50 pts

Troops

Heavy Support

This gives you all the shooting and assault power you'll need to make the orks run home and cry. Also, throw Crowe into Thraka for lols and watch him kill Ghaz when he dies.

This sounds like a real "Ork Hell".

There is only an issue. I don't have any LR Redeemer, just a Crusader . Despite the very great number of miniatures I collected I never built up a "Land Raider Formation". Any of my Space Marine army was affected by the "low number of models syndrome" and so I never had the chance to deploy many land raiders. My next buy will be a Redeemer.

However do you think I can replace LRR? What do you suggest? Maybe I can ask if my Crusader can count as Redeemer (the "campaign" rules are very tollerant about that and my opponent owes my a couple of favour concerning "count as" matters :D ) but I still miss a LR.

I have no problem with PAGK ( I have more than 50), Dreads, indipendent characters, assassins (I have all of them) , TDA (about 25 models), DK (3 of them), Stormraven (2, but I don't like to see them destroyed by lootas' weapons), Death Cult Assassins, just to quote several GK units.

What can I deploy in place of, at least one, LRR?

Thank You, Spartan... you just gave me a very competitive anti-ork list :)

Honestly, any type of land raider will do. If you don't have two LRs, then just put in more marines or another dread or some henchmen or an assassin.

You could replace one LR with a squad of DCAs and Crusaders to stick in the LR alongside the inquisitor for some serious back-up assault power.

A Land Raider Crusader should do just as well against Orks. If you spaces his models out you won't get many hits with your flamestorm cannons anyway. The small range also means that you need to be right on top of him to use your flamestorm cannons, and it's unlikely that you'll fire both in the same shooting phase, let alone the same target. And just think about all the power fists you'll definitely be in assault range in.

Don't get me wrong, the Redeemer is a fantastic tank, a really good line breaker. But a line breaker isn't what you need in this list, a Crusader will do just fine, as it can sit at 24" and still be effective, becoming amazing at 12". Fantastic support for your psycannon Purifiers and can scoot towards enemy lines and unleash a combat unit where they're weakest, or perhaps wait and counter-assault with it.

As for the extra 245pts you'll then have, consider another psyfleman Dread for helping out further with any vehicles, Deathkoptas etc. Loota's will be a decent target as well now I think about it. The rest of the points could be spent on an Inquisitor retinue, complete with transport, allowing you to continue keeping everything in transports (even Crowe).

Just some thoughts, and as I don't have much experience at playing Grey Knights feel free to ignore them. But as I've played against Orks quite a bit, you may want to at least listen to them even if you don't implement them ;).

Another Pyslfleman will be better than the landraider, honestly.

Instant killing Nobs, Dethkoptas etc and popping Kan squadrans on 2's and 3's? Yes please....

Honestly, any type of land raider will do. If you don't have two LRs, then just put in more marines or another dread or some henchmen or an assassin.

You could replace one LR with a squad of DCAs and Crusaders to stick in the LR alongside the inquisitor for some serious back-up assault power.

Orks rely on CC and DCAs can be a nasty surprise for them. 12 DCA make something like 48 power weapon attacks in charge. If we add rad/psychotroke nades' effect we have a very interesting potential.

I don't know if a Vindicare is worth a 145 points investiment against orks.... maybe an Eversor could play a back-up role during assault.

A Land Raider Crusader should do just as well against Orks. If you spaces his models out you won't get many hits with your flamestorm cannons anyway. The small range also means that you need to be right on top of him to use your flamestorm cannons, and it's unlikely that you'll fire both in the same shooting phase, let alone the same target. And just think about all the power fists you'll definitely be in assault range in.

Don't get me wrong, the Redeemer is a fantastic tank, a really good line breaker. But a line breaker isn't what you need in this list, a Crusader will do just fine, as it can sit at 24" and still be effective, becoming amazing at 12". Fantastic support for your psycannon Purifiers and can scoot towards enemy lines and unleash a combat unit where they're weakest, or perhaps wait and counter-assault with it.

As for the extra 245pts you'll then have, consider another psyfleman Dread for helping out further with any vehicles, Deathkoptas etc. Loota's will be a decent target as well now I think about it. The rest of the points could be spent on an Inquisitor retinue, complete with transport, allowing you to continue keeping everything in transports (even Crowe).

Just some thoughts, and as I don't have much experience at playing Grey Knights feel free to ignore them. But as I've played against Orks quite a bit, you may want to at least listen to them even if you don't implement them :P.

LRC can fire a lot of shots that ignore orks' armour. I don't know if psybolts are useful. They turn an assault cannon de facto in a psycannon but the hurrican bolter (now S5) are no longer "defensive" weapons. Chimera is a very efficient transport for its cost.

Another Pyslfleman will be better than the landraider, honestly.

Instant killing Nobs, Dethkoptas etc and popping Kan squadrans on 2's and 3's? Yes please....

I play so frequently against power armored enemy that I often forget very few ork models have a armour save better than 4, thus psybolt dreads will istant kill orks with two wounds easily ;)

LRC can fire a lot of shots that ignore orks' armour. I don't know if psybolts are useful. They turn an assault cannon de facto in a psycannon but the hurrican bolter (now S5) are no longer "defensive" weapons. Chimera is a very efficient transport for its cost.

O I definitely wouldn't give them psybolts. They do near enough nothing for the tank, especially as they take away the biggest asset which is being able to move 6" and fire everything. Sure with S5 bolters you wound more, but then you might as well take a Redeemer. Neither is better against Orks, it depends on situation and how clever your opponent is. A clever player will spread them out, in which case the hurricane bolters will do better. However, you can tank shock them to bunch them and then hit them with the flamestorm cannon. If the Orks are in cover, however, then the flamestorm will be better anyway. Comes down to personal preference in the end.

But no, don't give the Crusader psybolt ammo.

I'd pass up intimate relations for a week if i could have strength 8 autocannons.

I noticed every C:SM player yearns for S 8 autocannons <_< and for a good reasons. 4 S8 twinlinked shot per turn prove to be, under certain circumstances, more efficienct than LasCannon. 1 less point in S but 3 more shots.

O I definitely wouldn't give them psybolts. They do near enough nothing for the tank, especially as they take away the biggest asset which is being able to move 6" and fire everything. Sure with S5 bolters you wound more, but then you might as well take a Redeemer. Neither is better against Orks, it depends on situation and how clever your opponent is. A clever player will spread them out, in which case the hurricane bolters will do better. However, you can tank shock them to bunch them and then hit them with the flamestorm cannon. If the Orks are in cover, however, then the flamestorm will be better anyway. Comes down to personal preference in the end.

But no, don't give the Crusader psybolt ammo.

I strongly agree.

So that's the "partial" list:

HQ

Crowe 150 pts

OX Inquisitor: Power Armour, rad and psychotroke nades- 63 pts

Troops

Elite

Vindicare 145 pts. [not sure about that]

Heavy Supports

Land Raider Crusader: Multimelta [maybe I don't need it]- 265 p.

Total: 1898 pts , still 102 pts available.

What do you think? Something to add? Something to remove?

I noticed every C:SM player yearns for S 8 autocannons <_< and for a good reasons. 4 S8 twinlinked shot per turn prove to be, under certain circumstances, more efficienct than LasCannon. 1 less point in S but 3 more shots.

I don't yearn for them, went up against them and my S7 autocannons won. And when I proxied them against Dark Eldar they did nothing. That could just be bad dice rolling though :P.

As for the list, why is the Inquisitor there? He gives nothing from what I can see. I would drop him, and use the points left over to finance another psyfleman Dread. Should leave you with 30pts left if my maths is good. I'd then just use that for more combat weapons upgrades on the Purifiers. Things like another Daemonhammer in each squad, and the spares to master-craft a couple of them. Or put a storm bolter on the LRC. to help supplement your anti-horde. Keep the multi-melta though, is handy in case you run into big things.

Are you footslogging the Purifiers as well? The other unit I ran across on "3++ is the new black" was 8 Purifiers, 4 force halberds, 2 daemon hammers, 2 psycannons and a Rhino. 15pts cheaper, and you lose your two psycannons and two bodies, but you're more mobile, and more protected thanks to the Rhino. Also, as you're in a Rhino you can only shoot two weapons out of the top hatch, meaning you only need the two psycannons anyway. An extra Daemon hammer and the halberds mean you're better in combat despite losing a few bodies. Worth thinking about if footslogging doesn't work. If the psycannons were longer-ranged I could see your reasoning against Orks, but they're still short ranged, and if he takes Looters your Purifiers may end up smeared across the tabletop, although admittedly a Rhino would become swiss cheese then.

Otherwise, it looks good, lot's of firepower and anti-horde, but you can still take out some of the bigger things. I'd definitely look into dropping the Inquisitor for another psyfleman, he doesn't seem to do anything to me. Then you can hide Crowe in the LRC, and let him lose on a big horde. Blade Shield and Cleansing Flame should keep him alive while still doing wounds on that big unit or Orks. Or send him against a Warboss.

As for the list, why is the Inquisitor there? He gives nothing from what I can see.

He is there for granades. Rad granades reduce Orks' T to 3 while psychotroke produce various potentially interesting effects. Maybe I'm wrong but I had good experience with GK nades. I don't know if an anti-ork list needs them, though.

T3 in combat is certainly handy, especially when Hammerhand lets you wound on 2s. My question is who are you charging with? Your fire support units with 4 psycannons? Him on his own? Him and Crowe? I understand them if you have DCAs backing you up, or a GKGM with Terminators or equivalent behind him. As it stands you slaughter him via shooting, and will probably only have to mop up remnants. At the moment I think an extra Dread will do better incase his brings some more vehicles. That being said, you don't have to drop the Inquisitor, only his psychic status, and then stick him in a Purifier squad. That'll still give you the points for the Dread, and any points left over give him a power weapon or equivalent.

EDIT: Perhaps 4 units of Purifiers is too much, and you may be better served by either swapping the weapons load out on one Purifier squad for combat, or taking DCAs, just for a counter-charge unit. You have plenty of anti-horde at the moment.

Also, want to say, keep the Vindicare. He can remove burna boyz, big tanks etc before they trouble your lines.

T3 in combat is certainly handy, especially when Hammerhand lets you wound on 2s. My question is who are you charging with? Your fire support units with 4 psycannons? Him on his own? Him an Crowe. I understand them if you have DCAs backing you up, or a GKGM with Terminators or equivalent behind him. As it stands you slaughter him via shooting, and will probably only have to mop up remnants. At the moment I think an extra Dread will do better incase his brings some more vehicles. That being said, you don't have to drop the Inquisitor, only his psychic status, and then stick him in a Purifier squad. That'll still give you the points for the Dread, and any points left over give him a power weapon or equivalent.

My plan was to place the Inquisitor inside a Purifier squad. Sadly Crowe is not listed as an IC, thuse he cannot join a squad. Unless they chance it when FAQ comes out he must fight on his own.

A GM equiped with nades cost about 205 pts, if you give him nothing more than grenades. Iquisitor,63 points, plus the remaining 102: 167 pts.; no room for a GM.

EDIT:

A Purifiers unit is worth 285 points, points. If I deploy only three of them I can play a DCA unit and still have 105 points available.

If you just want the grenades the Inquisitor will be fine for it, I was just asking who he's running with. If you take the Vindicare out I'd consider something that can slaughter Orks in combat and act as counter-assault, like an Eversor, or DCAs for the Inquisitor. You'll want lots of bodies and lots of attacks for this, so Terminators might not cut it.

If you just want the grenades the Inquisitor will be fine for it, I was just asking who he's running with. If you take the Vindicare out I'd consider something that can slaughter Orks in combat and act as counter-assault, like an Eversor, or DCAs for the Inquisitor. You'll want lots of bodies and lots of attacks for this, so Terminators might not cut it.

Thanks :) .... so "Vindicare or Everson"..."that is the question"

Archived