Operation Reclamation DIY (pic heavy)

I'm back again once more brothers and I thought I'd bring back Operation Reclamation, where I reclaim models that have not been shown the best of love with a paintbrush and giving them a fresh new look. Each one of the reclaimed models will be repainted as one of the many DIY chapters that I've made using the SMP in the past few years.

So first of all, the marine below is from the Haunters Chapter. Unfortunately the posing of the model couldn't be adjusted without seriously damaging the model so I've left it as it is. I was very impressed with how well my first applications of using DA Green were though and with a thin coat of goblin green on top.

gallery_26154_4383_1265872.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_660353.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_3255304.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_364789.jpg

And secondly this marine is one that I finished doing from its basecoat this evening, orginating from the Bone Templars chapter, a successor of the zealous Sons of Dorn. Now the image in the SMP version does differ but when I painted up the bone templar this evening I had no access to the image so it was all done from memory. I might change the paintjob at a later date but plenty more to do before that:

gallery_26154_4383_1949466.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1763785.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1368407.jpg

Well that's it for now, I'll be hopefully uploading images of my soon to be completed marine from the Stingray chapter in a few days. Until then, feel free to look through the gallery of my DIY chapters and choose any schemes that you think I should try.

Cambrius

Loving the Haunter marine mate. Good use of colours on him. Looking forward to seeing the other marines too.

Cheers Duncs. ^_^

Nothing like a good reclamation of abused models. I do this as well, though only into Ultramarines :).

I used to reclaim models into joining the ranks of my Sons of Doom, however I figured that to preserve my many chapters and to practice painting with different colours and methods I thought I'd do my custom chapters.

Speaking of which, here's the Stingray marine as mentioned earlier.

gallery_26154_4383_1059904.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1059213.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1059221.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1059719.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1059728.jpg

Another neglected marine saved! *swells with pride* More to come soon.

Cambrius

Question; do you get some neglected marines off of ebay? Because I sometimes get cheapies and I despair. Far too much glue, upside down torsos, ill-fitted positions, yadda yadda yadda. That said there's usually at least sixty or seventy percent of the squad/batch/job lot that's salvageable. And they're cheap. :P

Question; do you get some neglected marines off of ebay? Because I sometimes get cheapies and I despair. Far too much glue, upside down torsos, ill-fitted positions, yadda yadda yadda. That said there's usually at least sixty or seventy percent of the squad/batch/job lot that's salvageable. And they're cheap. :P

Yep these are all ebay wins that I'm working on reclaiming, although I've never seen upside down torsos before. ;)

Cambrius

The biggest problem I found with eBay wins was upside-down shoulder pads. Made it look like the Marines had wings, or were from the 80s.

Now that's one I've never heard of before! ;) Must have taken some effort to achieve that!

I recieved a request from bloodred0114 asking whether I owuld paint up a model of his DIY chapter, the Archangels with one of my reclaimed models. I was only too happy to oblige and thus we have Brother Castor of the Archangels' 2nd Company, 3rd squad:

gallery_26154_4383_1133863.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1133871.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1133916.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1133923.jpg

And now for a shot of all of my successful reclamations thus far. The one on the right end is my Steel Hunter, expect more pictures of him soon. :D

gallery_26154_4383_1387413.jpg

As always comments/crits are always appreciated! :)

Cambrius

[/img]

Question; do you get some neglected marines off of ebay? Because I sometimes get cheapies and I despair. Far too much glue, upside down torsos, ill-fitted positions, yadda yadda yadda. That said there's usually at least sixty or seventy percent of the squad/batch/job lot that's salvageable. And they're cheap. ;)

Yep these are all ebay wins that I'm working on reclaiming, although I've never seen upside down torsos before. :P

Cambrius

I've had it twice, at least. It's the Mk5 torso that's tripping up whoever it is I'm getting mine off of - it's not like the hip socket being larger than the neck socket gives it away at all. Poor sods. :(

Anyhoo, good line up, brother. Keep it up, for all us reclaimators! :D

Having picked up a few cheapo lots on ebay before I've decided it's better to pay a little extra and buy things which are still on the sprue at least! Too many upside down shoulder pads and parts twisted off the sprues instead of clipped off.

you did an AMAZING job with the Archangel :tu: ;) :) thank you

and also an amazing job too on the symbol I can't even draw it let alone paint it :) can't wait to get some money and finally make my own.... can I get a job offer lol

I'm waiting for you to do a Herald of Dorn.

Coming soon Heru. :) I'm just having some trouble with the symbol...

Do a Tiger Claw! Do a Tiger Claw!

Hmm, I don't see Tiger Claw in my list of personal DIY chapters. Sorry Olisredan. :P

and also an amazing job too on the symbol I can't even draw it let alone paint it :) can't wait to get some money and finally make my own.... can I get a job offer lol

My pleasure, the symbol was a good challenge, I might clean up some of it at a later date, the trick I learnt to freehand them is to do each bit at a time, dotting out the shape first. I'm afraid no jobs are open currently being the poor student I am now. ;)

More coming soon! I might start a WIP later. :)

Cambrius

Do a Tiger Claw! Do a Tiger Claw!

Hmm, I don't see Tiger Claw in my list of personal DIY chapters. Sorry Olisredan. ;)

Drat. ;) Good job I wasn't serious... Not to worry! :P

Very nice, I have been saving and recycling my old marines. Having not bought much off eBay can't say I've ever seen upside down torsos or shoulder pads O_O If you are wanting suggestions you can paint one of my Chapter if you fancy.

Very nice, I have been saving and recycling my old marines. Having not bought much off eBay can't say I've ever seen upside down torsos or shoulder pads O_O If you are wanting suggestions you can paint one of my Chapter if you fancy.

I've been fortunate enough not to find anything too drastic apart form poorly built/glued/positioned/painted marines. Send me a link to any oyu may have in mind Reyner and I'm sure I can be happy to paint one up in the heraldry of one of your chapters. :)

And now after a small break, I have completed the work on a marine from the Heralds of Dorn. Unfortunately the gold didn't come out excessively well (may be time to buy a new pot) but the symbol was completed rather well if I do say so myself considering its complexity for freehand and getting the detail in for me.

So without further ado, Brother Heru of Talon Squad, 3rd Company:

gallery_26154_4383_1650895.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1650560.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1650569.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1650547.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1650555.jpg

comments as always are appreicated. Feel free to request a DIY chapter form my gallery (see signature) that you'd like me to attempt to paint.

Cambrius

Gold doesn't look too bad, think it could do with another coat in spots but other than that it's fine. There's a link to my Chapter IA in my signature and theres a picture of the colour scheme :)

Gold doesn't look too bad, think it could do with another coat in spots but other than that it's fine. There's a link to my Chapter IA in my signature and theres a picture of the colour scheme :)

Indeed, i'm tempted to try and drybrush some gold on later now that my assignment's complete at Uni. :) The Ghost Dragons looks like a decent challenge. Is it pure or off white for the main colour? The symbol should really test me as well.

Cambrius

Another 3 more marines have been reclaimed on this fine Saturday. :ph34r:

Firstly, one marine form the Steel Hunters, who has also been given a "Cambrius Pattern Helm", made form a Mk. VI Corvus helm.

gallery_26154_4383_1819114.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1818754.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1818762.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1819106.jpg

Next, a marine form the Decimators chapter, it's good to finally complete this guy and the Steel Hunter after sitting in my case since the last itme I started up Operaiton Reclamation.

gallery_26154_4383_1817421.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1817430.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1817645.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1817654.jpg

And finally, a marine form the Jade Scorpions chapter. This model wasn't in such a bad condition as the others so the painting went very well indeed. :)

gallery_26154_4383_1819220.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1819229.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1819434.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1819443.jpg

So to conclude, a group shot of all the marines that have gone through Operaiton Reclamation, guarding a vital asset in the name of the Emperor. :D

gallery_26154_4383_1819545.jpg

gallery_26154_4383_1819536.jpg

That's all for now. Comments as always appreciated, Reyner the Ghost Dragons will come soon. ;)

Cambrius

Archived