The Labyrinth

Alone in the void a vast Labyrinth awaits its masters. They are accursed, enigmatic, and hunger for war & death.

Their names are whispered for fear of being heard and summoning them to those who dare speak it. Tales of their deeds have sent many to question the power of their Corpse Emperor and Dark Gods. Their deeds have torn souls from mortal frames, left worlds in ash & ruin, and have gained them infamy as their enemies learn what fear truly is.

All the while, their Dark God's laughter lets His enemies know that their end is nigh!

They are the Sons of Malice!

---

Among the many there are those who follow the Sons of Malice and the Renegade God, Malal. Gathered here are such souls. We come to share ideas, thoughts, and our own dealings with such mysterious forces that plague both the Imperium of Man and the Forces of Chaos alike.

So we welcome you all to the Labyrinth!

With permission, I am pleased to guide curious souls to Malal-Lives! It is the Greatest Collection of knowledge regarding Malal and the Sons of Malice! The few bits of information and history for the Renegade God and his Sons have been compiled and presented for all to witness by the dedication of Mabrothrax, whose time and dedication has led to the creation of a treasure trove of resources.

-Malal Lives-

Our fighting forces: *Numerical Companies then Warbands listed

-'Aata's Soul-Reavers' 5th Company by Mr. Malevolent

-'Batko's Blacks' 7th Company by GooseDaMoose

-Kathal's Grand Company by Mabrothrax

-The Anarchist's Fist Warband by hushrong

and so it begins...

And soon there will be another. :D

---

In regards to your company Goose, my earlier concern was focused on perfection.

Originally, when I was tinkering about starting up SoM, I thought they would be very loyal to one another. They had been betrayed, and because of this act against them, they would not carry it out against their own brothers. They would be, as I stated before, organized, loyal, and stalwart. I honestly have no problem if a SoM company retained strict military discipline but I think there is a level where they seem more upstanding than loyalists. That is something that I believe needs to be watched for.

Oh yeah baby hail to the Sons of Malice! I'm actually very very excited for this. Good job hushrong gathering us of the lord Malice/Malal and giving us a nice "debate" thread. Its funny because I was just working non-stop for oh, three hours today due to my day off from work and I just went head long into building a small squad of Sons. I'll have some pics up either tomorrow or Saturday.

Edit: Also along with my own W.I.P. thread Ver. 2.0 so get ready to edit that first post brothers!

Although my Marines Malevolent aren't traitor, they're only a step away, and I'm pretty positive they'd fall under Malal's influence if they did. Until then, I'll just satisfy myself by gunning you filthy dogs down wherever I see you...

...Looking at you goose.

:devil: ;)

@Kristoff: sounds interesting, I take it that your chapter is DIY? Any links to fluff or WIP?

@Mr. Malevolent: I look forward to some pics and adding your company to the list. Be sure to have a quick description of them. For example, my Anarchist's Fists is primarily a terminator army building among other works in progress. Something short and sweet. Once you got a link and description i can post it. And I will shoot a message to Goose to do the same.

I am also curious how you do your true scale. I still want to make minis for my "Cult of the Skull" and I want to give them a lot of character.

@Kristoff: sounds interesting, I take it that your chapter is DIY? Any links to fluff or WIP?

Sadly, not as yet. I'm still working on some ideas in my head.

But the basic premise is that the lesser god that the chaos half of my cursed chapter follows hates the Warp and seeks to change it so that it's unhealthy for the main 4. They work to do this through virus-bombing worlds so that the survivor's psychic signature is of an unhealthy frequency for the standard Daemon, and killing everyone else who can't/won't change. The Chaos Marines are cursed so that they are already attuned to this 'New Warp', which make it painful for them to be around beings aligned to the 'Old Warp', and when psykers use their powers, it throws them into a rage. So this lesser god is a sort of Tzeentchian version of Chaos's destruction.

The Sons of Malice intrigue me, though. As I haven't started painting mine yet, I may see how an altered color scheme, but of same style, may work for mine.

I am also curious how you do your true scale. I still want to make minis for my "Cult of the Skull" and I want to give them a lot of character.

I like to call my style the "illusionist method" haha. I make it seem as though it all works and looks like I know what I'm doing :wub: On a serious note I borrowed techniques from Apologist's Pre-Heresy Ultramarines and from Fafnir's Gallowsmen. I've always had a HUGE love for True Scale ever since I first discovered Apologists work way back in 2009 or shoudl I say since I saw Karl Kopinski's rendition of Padro Kantor in the last 40k rulebook (I always thought something was off about "normal" marines). I'll be doing a bit more work tonight before I pass out (I seem to not be able to actually sleep now until 3 in the morning) so I'll have some stuff to show off before I go to work.

I have seen Apologist's work and it is great but my favorite has to be the work of Migsula on dakkadakka, which made me want to start the cult the skull for the SoM. However, making them could be expensive unless I got lucky in a trade for terminator legs. I made one but rushed it and I had another lined up to be built better but the termie legs walked off. *not just a clever joke, they really disappeared.

I have been thinking of using Dan the Daemons style recently. Seeing his champ with an IG victim was very motivating. Besides some supplies, I need to work on their fluff. I want there to be a sorcerer/librarian, a few brother Astartes l, and mortal cannonfodder.

Oh yeah Migsula is another awesome True Scale pioneer. His Alpha Legion army is insane, plus he developed that =I= munda rules set which is right up my alley. I absolutely love Dan the Daemon's method too. The main reason I'm going with this method is because I have 20 Termies I have no use for anymore plus this is a project I can take my time with and concentrate on details.

In regards to your company Goose, my earlier concern was focused on perfection.

I honestly have no problem if a SoM company retained strict military discipline but I think there is a level where they seem more upstanding than loyalists. That is something that I believe needs to be watched for.

What do you mean with upstanding? But my company doesnt have such strict military discipline but one of the main qualms Batko had with Kathal's teachings was the "friendly competition" we see in the Labyrinth short story where SPOILER ALERT

two former brothers duke it out to the death just for some so-called glory

while Kathal lols at them.

The Battle-Brothers may have problems with each other and some infighting, but when it comes to military decisions, they know it's just idiotic to let things like that get in the way, and each man, having been raised and psycho-conditioned to be a true soldier since their pre-teensish, will do their duty and what's best for the company in the long run.

I see exactly what you mean Goose. Basically your "captain" Batko disagrees with Kathals ideals and keeps his company in a strict regime to preserve them so they don't become another traitor warband. Am I right? I really need to get my hands on that "Heroes of the Space Marines" novel so I delve into the short story provided for our Sons.

Not necessarily so strict, but he makes sure that each Brother knows the importance of cohesion in a military operation. But it's not like he punishes people or whips them into line, as he argues that to be counter-productive, and would therefore be hypocritical.

I guess the best example I can think of is A DB's Night Lords' Talos' beliefs that the company, despite its members hating each other, should stick together and that fighting a battle-brother is not cool. Batko, being top-dog, implements this as company doctrine.

Yeah the two writers who invented Malal and Kaleb Daark (the first follower of Malal) quit before GW was able to get the IP rights to their creations, so now they're not allowed to mention the 5th God in any official context in fear of being sued, but they do like to push their boundaries with the story in the Heroes of the Space Marines and the Sons of Malice.

Edit: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Malal and http://www.freewebs.com/malal-lives/thelostgod.htm for more info

@Goose: I meant no offense with my critique. It may have been the wording and what I had read in regards to the 7th. It just felt like they had to be superior. I do agree though, that any SoM will put rivalries aside so they can team up and tear foes apart.

---

I really need to get my hands on that "Heroes of the Space Marines" novel so I delve into the short story provided for our Sons.

It is worth a read, I do not know if the other stories justify the purchase of the book. That is money best saved then spent on plastics, pewter, and resin. I would like to get my hands thought on WD articles that contain info about the SoM (I think there are some at least).

I also want to get my hands on the 3.5 dex where the SoM appear and maybe even the Codex: Eye of Terror where they are mentioned.

---

Going onto this issue with GW not being allowed to represent Malal. I have a like and dislike on this issue. Malal is left completely open to interpretation and can be built up any way one desires but it means we don't get awesome/official stuff for him. Also, throwing in a whole other God into the WH universe could be done terribly...so that is worrisome.

and in regards to Malal/Malice in recent works it makes think of *spoiler regarding Labyrinth and Blood Gorgons stories*

that the summoning ceremony in Labyrinth was like the one used in Blood Gorgons(still havent finished it yet). Essentially, I wonder if GW wants to bring Malal back as Malice...who may be more like a lesser daemon who is on the up and up. this will kill my Nay'pal qoute "Our God walks amongst us!"

---

and on my end, some updated fluff ideas

The Corpse Guard: I have decided to run with this idea.

I have been thinking about stripping their names though. I was thinking that they rid themselves of individuality and become known by their deeds and not their names.

It would be like seeing a faceless warrior wreaking havoc in the battlefield. The memory of what you see becomes how you identify that warrior. You do not fear the sound of their name but the nightmares of their actions haunt you.

I originally wanted each termie to have a name and some history behind him. But since all of them will wear helms into battle and are among the most vicious, I think that this idea goes well. They are faceless worries whose imposing figures and past deeds make them who they now are. I have been thinking that either A.) I will scribble text on their armor that speak of their actions or B.) they will have scrolls and parchments to do that.

Cult of the Skull: I was thinking of using something like Necromunda to play this. Silly to represent Astartes with ganger rules...but it could work right? This force will consist of a Librarian/sorcerer, two battle brothers, and a number of humans. I want to do the marines in True Scale and leave the mortals as is.

This force operates independently from other companies(though I am sure they meet up once in awhile). Essentially, their goal is to throw worlds into disarray and anarchy. I had been thinking that they would also recruit, but I have yet come to grips with this idea myself.

A snap question for you SoM fanatics...I've done some research on Malal/Malice's history, and learned a lot, but one thing I've never seen is a legit canon symbol / rune for Malal himself. The closest I could find was a skull halved black and white, superimposed over the Star of the Pantheon, which was from a site who's accuracy I couldn't validate. Is this correct, or has it just never been mentioned?

Edit: The symbol I found. If it ain't accurate, at least it's pretty cool...

http://images.wikia.com/warhammer40k/images/4/42/Malal_chaos.jpg

Yeah, most symbols are the halved skull being half white an the other black. that is the most common I have seen.

That is also what Daark's shield looked like too. That symbol you posted is cool, but I'm sure its fan made (look at the lines around the skull).

I kind of wanted to use an 11 pointed star but it seemed too much.

Yeah, I didn't think it was legit honestly, but it does look gnarly. -Sigh- Y'know, I was planning expanding my Night Lords, but I may have to add a few squads of Sons instead...you jerks are corrupting me...

Yeah, I didn't think it was legit honestly, but it does look gnarly. -Sigh- Y'know, I was planning expanding my Night Lords, but I may have to add a few squads of Sons instead...you awesome guys are corrupting me...

Good, when you do, please post! I also edited your message for corrections.

And to go off what Goose stated, yeah, the star isn't totally necessary although it does fit well with the fact that chaos can lead you on many paths.

@Goose: I couldn't quite place it at first but yes I definitely get a feeling of ADB's Night Lords in your Company which is an awesome concept.

@hushrong: Concerning your bit on the tie between Blood Gorgons and Sons, remember some Renegade Chapters dont even actually worship a true god. Some are actually worshiping a very powerful daemon prince who has no allegiance or if he does, hides it well. Which in the case of the Sons would make more sense as the ability to summon a "god" seems a bit extreme. I have a feeling GW is linking the daemon Be'Lakor with Malice somehow as he seems to fit the perfect description for a daemon prince who wants to destroy everything the four gods stands for and of course keep all the power for himself. I can't remember exactly where I found the information pertaining to Renegades worshiping powerful daemon princes who presented themselves as gods but I'll dig through some of my stuff and hopefully find it.

@1000heathens: Oh man! Awesome find brother. That is now the wallpaper for my phone :D As far as an official symbol for Malice your closest bet is the skull with half and half design which is usually "fan-made". It seems to be a re-occuring theme for the quartered black and white scheme.

So I figured I would add a bit of fluff from an old White Dwarf Issue, number 302, the article being ROGUE SONS: renegade Space Marine Chapters to be exact, concerning Kathal our illustrious leader and of course give the true word given by Andy Hoare on the Sons.

"The Captain of the 1st Company of the Sons of Malice, Kathal was instrumental in the Chapter's fall from the Emperor's grace. Kathal and his company had successfully concluded the Cilix 225 campaign, in which three suboceanic hives in the rebellious Cilix system were scoured of the heretics who were threatening to depressurize them as an expression of their misguided devotion. The Company's prolonged victory celebrations, led by the murderous Kathal, were witnessed by Inquisitor Pietas, a senior member of the Ordo hereticus, who was revolted by what she saw as practices verging on the cannibalistic. Pietas mobilized a strike force of Adepta Sororitas Celestians, who deployed from orbit aboard their drop pods, making planetfall in the midst of the Company at the height of the celebrations. The strike force found Kathal; and his Company behaving as a horde of fevered maniacs, having worked themselves into a state of animalistic barbarity over the course of their celebrations. Kathal's armor was splattered in gore, and blood ran from his mouth as he presided over the ceremony. Kathal and his Bretheren fell upon the strike force with a savagery for which the Inquisitor was utterly unprepared.

The Celestians fought bravely. However, their numbers were too few, and their faith, though strong, could not overcome the sheer fury of Kathal and his men.By the light of burning torches, Kathal cornered the Inquisitor and dragged her before his altar where she was ritually sacrificed. This heinous deed earned the Sons of Malice excomunication, and to this day, they reside within the eye of Terror, where they wage a hate-fueled war against any they encounter, be they servants of the Imperium or, indeed, other followers of Chaos."

Now to also add on the reasoning behind the cannibalism also found in same issue article...

"In the case of the Sons of Malice, the grisly tendencies that caused their excommunication were found to be rooted in the barbaric practices of the Chapter's home world of Scelus. The native tribes were almost entirely eradicated by the Cadian 331st in a planet-wide campaign of genocide. Scelus was declared Perdita and stands to this day a stark example of the duly appointed representatives of the Holy Orders of the Emperor's Inquisition."

And one more little example of the battle cry or lack thereof for our beloved Sons (again same article)..

"The Sons of Malice reportedly fight in utter silence, and those who have fought against them cite their muteness as the prime source of the deeply disturbing aura surrounding the depraved Brethren"

Now it was due to this article that I became obsessed with the Son and after my failed attempt to start an army, I have re-read this article front to back, oogled over hushrongs and Gooses's Sons and gotten the "bug" back. I currently have six Sons in production (5 are forming my first "Grey Hunter" squad and one being Aaata my Company Captain a.k.a. Ragnare Blackmane). I've also come to the conclusion after reading the Blood Gorgons novel that I'm modelling my fluff after some key elements presented in there concerning renegade chapters but of course staying true to the Sons (I just think the ides presented by Zou are perfect fluff for a renegade chapter like Sons who are very similar at least in my mind to Blood Gorgons).

ONE: loyalty to each other, 5th Company are going to be very loyal to each other (brotherly bonds to the extreme but not with the whole exchanging organs as per Blood Gorgons) and if and when member's die they will strip him/them of his/their armor, fix it up, pass pieces out to other members and then ritually eating his gene-seed and various organs to "gain his experience and keep the legacy going".

TWO: Malice will be more of a high powered Daemon Prince rather then a god, because I just cant see mortals being able to summon a god into the material realm, things like the trials at the Labyrinth and such make sense and even though I haven't read the short story for the Sons I have a feeling its close to the Blood Gorgons way of summoning. Plus the Sons were the Sons of Malice before they found Malice a.k.a. Malal so I like to think he presents himself in a way to take advantage of the Sons. Also Malice/Malal has been noted that he only uses his followers to get back at the other gods and although he gives them some power he eventually leaches all of their essence from them for fueling himself.

Finally THREE: Never trust psykers, there will be a psyker coven amongst the Chapter but they will of course be kept at a good distance because well, who can ever trust a psyker? I see renegade psykers being very tangible to the honeyed whispers of the greater gods, especially Tzeentch so I think they should always have an eye on them (although they help with summoning Malice and all). I also see this as strengthening the bond between the Sons and the Marines Malevolent as Goose and heathens have started to establish pre-fall.

Sorry for a HUGE wall of text but let me know how you guys feel, I am in no way saying all Sons players should follow those guidelines but I just like how it all kind of works out.

Sorry for a HUGE wall of text but let me know how you guys feel, I am in no way saying all Sons players should follow those guidelines but I just like how it all kind of works out.

No need to apologize, this is why we have the Labyrinth!:lol:

---

I think there is always loyalty, just varying degrees of it. I now feel that my Sons are the shadiest of the bunch. They would honor their god and there was no turning back from it, but when it came to them and their kin...a different story. I hate to say it though because it sounds like I am just copying and pasting Zou's work, but I imagined that the Sons(my warband at least) would form groups based on preference and not structure. Kind of like different clicks when you were in high school. You were all part of the same school but would only hang out with others who were like you in several ways. This is why I named them a warband instead of just calling them the 2nd Company.

So you would have two groups and they would share their dislikes of one another openly, and that could lead to conflict. or just fuel the rage burning within when they took to the battlefield against thrice-cursed foes.

Archived