airbrush compressors

Hi all . im looking into getting an airbrush , as i will mostly be using it for basecoats and such to start with im not so concerned with the airbrush as i am the compressor.

does anyone here have any insights on what to get ?

i really want it to be small and quiet other than that i am up for suggestions.

i am researching them at the moment but there is nothing better then first hand info , especially from the esteemed members of this forum.

thanks for your time.!

Ideally it is more what you expect to use the compressor on further into the future that you should be basing your needs on.

Firstly there are two types of compressors generally used in scale models. The first is a compressor without an air tank. These are generally good for basic work, and shouldn't cause any issues.

The second type (and slightly more expensive) is the compressor with an air tank. These types of compressors are better for fine work, as the air tank gives a more constant steady airflow instead of the 'putputputput' that can be expected from the tankless model.

However what is more important then a notank/tank choice is a moisture trap. When air is compressed it heats up then cools back down before it gets to the AB. This heating and cooling causes water vapour to occur. when this water vapour hits your model, you will find that your nicely painted model's paint will be ruined. The problem with this is that most of the moisture will occur half way down the average Joe's air hose, whereas most compressors only have a moisture trap attached to the compressor. Ideally what you need is a moister trap a good couple of feet down the airhose. Like so:

Compressor -----------------------------------moisture trap ------------------------------------airbrush.

Just some food for thought...

-kizzap

awesome great tips thanks ,

if its any help im looking to get a good compressor to start with , i figure its better to get a good one to start with than have to deal with a crap one

Again it is a situational thing as to what sort of compressor you can get. Depending on what you want/need in a compressor depends on what you should buy.

If you are solely worried about money, then you should get either A: a compressor from a hardware store, any kind. or B: a tankless cheap "airbrush spec" compressor.

If you are worried about noise, and can spend a little money, get either A: a really good quality tankless model or B: a compressor with a tank and auto shutoff features.

As for brands I seriously have no idea, (then you get the added fact that NZ like Aus might not have the greatest range of options...)

my recommendation, go read a couple of airbrush forums, you will find heaps of good information.

-kizzap

I guess a price limit and how quiet you need it to be are important to know. I think quiet is fairly relative with compressors because one that isn't as loud as other compressors may still be too loud if say you don't want to wake a baby or bother the wife. Quiet and small usually means airbrush specific and thus pricey.

Archived