Double trouble

Welcome brothers, my first post in a while so forgive and acyolyte errors :devil:

This thread is about mine and my battle brother Captin Xavier. We have finally given into the Grey Knight bug ( me i hasten to add, quicker than my fellow co-conspiritor). The difference between this and many of our previous atempts at projects is that we have finally set a goal and a specific aim, this being a 1500 point doubles (tournament) army. We have tried to use some models that we already had from previous spending sprees but also add some of the new kits.

To start with we created Xaviers half of the list. For this we decided to cover the basic force slots 1 HQ and 2 troops. After this we then padded out the rest of the 750 points with lots of gribbly nasties that the Inquisition hide behind its doors. His half of the list is as follows:

HQ:

Torquemada Coteaz..................................100

Ordo Xeno Inquisitor.................................87

Power aArmour

Conversion Beamer

3 Servo Skulls

Elites:

Vidicare Assassin......................................145

Troops:

Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband................162

3 Warrior Acolytes

3 Power Armour

3 power swords

3 Deathcult Assassins

3 Arco Flagellants

Chimera ................................................70

2 Heavy Flamers

Dozer Blade

Truesilver Armour

Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband ..............100

3 heavybolter servitors

2 jokaero

Razorback .............................................85

Twin-linked Assault Cannon

Psybolt Ammunition

Now for my half of the list we decided that why not pack some extra hard hitters, and due to my long passion for the guys silver we went for those elusive emperors elites of the elite. It also has to be one of the smallest 750 point armies i have ever seen just 3 units.

Elites:

5 Paladins ............................................305

Master Crafted Nemisis Daemon Hammer

Nemisis Force Halberd

Brotherhood Banner

Heavy Support:

Nemesis Dread Knight ...........................260

Incinerator

Nemisis Greatsword

Personal Teleporter

Nemisis Dreadknight .............................185

Incinerator

Nemisis Greatsword

Tomorrow i will post a few pictures of what me and Captin Xavier have been working on.

so i shall say good night and please C&C are welcome on the list

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen of the B&C,

Yes it is I Captin Xavier, the other half of double trouble, here with Best of British, bringing you the log of our Doubles Grey Knight army.

As you can see in the post above Best of British has posted our list. So no need for me to rabbit on about that any more. So on with the pictures :HQ:

So first up is the HQ

we all know what Coteaz looks like, he's the face of the Ordo malleus inquisitors. In the new Grey Knight Codex he allows for a whole load of cheek.

As this is a W.I.P. log you wont mind me showing you the current stage of him. Best of British gave him to me for a birthday present and I've slowly been working on him since.

gallery_34100_6201_30743.jpg

gallery_34100_6201_43220.jpg

These arn't the best shots in the world

but they begin to show where I'm at with him. So far i've use TMM (True Metallic Metals) to do his armour. also started work on the hammer and his tabbard and cloak.

Also, for the other HQ slot, are the servo skulls to accompany the ordo Xenos inquisitor. The bases are done by Best of British. Spending about an hour on each in total.

gallery_34100_6201_10150.jpg

gallery_34100_6201_21992.jpg

This set of servo skulls i started a little while back, but now that they take a leading roll in an army, the base has been tarted up with some copper wire and a watch cog. Even though there are 2 skulls on there, it still only counts as one.

As seen in the list above we have decided to run a small unit of paladins. This is so that 1) Best of British can use the models he bought and 2) I have something gribbly to paint.

Here is an effort I have made to paint the banner. It still needs a little work on some of the hanging bits and bobs, but its pretty much there.

gallery_34100_6201_28211.jpg

Hope you like it, i spent 6 hours of my life painting that!! :P

Now, for my pride and joy in this thread. The Dread Knight.

Both me and Best of British will have a Dread Knight each to go in the list and this is the one that I've started. Shout outs go to silentsmoke and GM W over at Warseer for the shoulder mount idea.

As I'm a bit of a cheap skate, i've tried to make the most out of this set, I've magnetized the great sword and right doom fist.

I've also allowed for both of the shoulder mounts to be posable and interchangable. The two weapons ive gone for are the Heavy Incinerator and Heavy Psycannon. I'm Tempted to bits order parts to make the gattling psilenser too.

But, that's another story

gallery_34100_6201_58657.jpg

gallery_34100_6201_18488.jpg

gallery_34100_6201_26463.jpg

That's all from me this evening folks, hope you enjoy.

Please leave C&Cs as that's what we're posting here for :D

Cheer

Cpt X

hey guys

that base looks AMAZING B) simple yet intriguing

also i have a similar idea to the shoulder mount system on the DK any hints/tips, links to the inspiration and/or close up pics plz?

the PIP is looking good so far, may i suggest just a bit of a wash for shading the red also loving the gold with red on Coteaz (again a wash/highlight would look good for the red)

looking forward to see more guys :D

DM :rolleyes:

Hey DM, thanks for the reply.

As to how to make the shoulder mounted cannons; you wont need anything extra, its all in the dreadknight kit.

First things first build the weapon on your choice as described in the instructions (or if you're like me cobble it together as best you can :P)

Then take the arm servos (the big shoulder bits that go to the arms) and cut it like so:

gallery_34100_6201_59980.png

Then all you need to do it cut the pipe at the back off from the weapon, cut off the receiver for the servo that's on top of the weapon casing and stick this on to the piece shown above.

It really is as simple as that.

As for links, they are 2 very interesting logs over on warseer

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305926 - This is GM W's log. It's strictly not a grey knight log, it being custodes and all, but i still took inspiration from it none the less.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302477 - And this is silentsmoke's log. He has a good tutorial on how to paint swords and the like.

Thanks for the feedback on the painting. I think the banner is a little over exposed, and thus knocking away the shading. Also, Coteaz's cloak will get a was or 2 :D

Cheers

Cpt X

Good afternoon B&C.

First things first my 100TH POST!!! YAAAY WOOO WOOPEEE!!

*cough* *cough*uh hmmmm.......

Now that's out of the way, I have some what of an update for you.

In 2 weeks time I be done with college and will have nearly 4 months of time off, so I'm expecting lots of apocalypse games with my gaming buddies. In light of this I had an interesting idea.

I thought to myself...well, if a dread knight is just a big terminator, why can't they take storm shields too?

The obvious answer to this would be that a dread knight with a storm shield would be almost impossible to shift in a game without super heavies. This then lead to me thinking, well, as apocalypse is all about having fun, why dont i make a data sheet that allows a dread knight to have all sorts of gear. Stuff like twin linked weapons (taking 2 of the same ranged weapon), having 2 of the same close combat weapon and even a storm shield!!!

So with this brilliant idea in mind I set to work on a dread knight sized storm shield.

gallery_34100_6201_762.jpg

So this is where I'm currently at with it, its still VERY w.i.p. but its getting there.

Things still to do are:

- Make a proper hilt for the sword icon

- Milliput in pages for the book

- Find some yummy details and the like to go on the shield

- Generally detail the shield

- Paint!!! (that comes when I start painting the whole thing)

Some ideas of how else to detail the shield would be much appreciated as I've hit a mental block with it!! ;)

To give you an idea of what it looks like on the dread knight here are a couple of pics with it attached.

gallery_34100_6201_22831.jpg

As you can see in this pic I've attached both of the weapons, just to see what its like with both on. I like the look, but I feel it might be a little bit cluttered with both on there, which is not a big deal cause I'm never really going to run it with 2 weapons unless its at apocalypse. Then everything just looks cluttered :)

gallery_34100_6201_19911.jpg

I like this picture, It's quite dramatic for a w.i.p. shot. :( As you can see in the background there is the second of the servo skull markers that Best of British spent a fair deal of time on. They both looks rather lovely and I cant wait for him to paint them!!

Here are some closer shots of the Servo skull

gallery_34100_6201_4906.jpg

gallery_34100_6201_26454.jpg

This little servo skull is supposed to be tending to a pressure release valve of some sort, looking at the monitor screen for data readouts and the like and deciding whether to purge the system or not.

I'm chipping with with the 3rd one, making an interesting base having the servo skull also looking at data readouts or something similar. Pics of that soon.

Cheers for looking guys, C&C is VERY much appreciated, chip in any ideas you have!!

Cheers

Cpt X

Hey Verpine, thanks for the reply!

As for the gold, i used TMM to try and get a nice gold going on.

I start with a 60:40 shining gold/scorched brown mix, make it nice and dark for the recesses and such.

As an aside, I dont water my paints down a HUGE amount, just cant get my head around glazing. You want it thin enough so you can control it well and it doesnt leave an edge, but not so thin that its all running into the recesses. I'm sure you can work it out :devil:

then just add increasingly more shining gold, as you would if you were going NMM.

Once you reach shining gold, you add chainmail to the gold. You cant really see it in my bad photos, but it gives a nice yellow gold that acts a nice highlight.

Personally I dont like gold being highlighted with pure silver so much, but if you like it then work your way right up to chainmail.

Its as easy as that!!

Thanks for the question

Cpt X

Okay heres the first half of the paladins, i know there isnt an apothecary in the list but i wanted to see how the model would turn out. I also used a single falchion to represent a sword aswell as the normal swords seemed too long to be single handed. As for the paint scheme i went for a slightly duller look compared to the more silver of traditional GK.

gallery_40507_6199_737865.jpg

gallery_40507_6199_709052.jpg

gallery_40507_6199_256038.jpg

This is my count as champion, i used a sword blade on the end of a halberd to get a longer blade.

gallery_40507_6199_511450.jpg

gallery_40507_6199_980048.jpg

Lastly this is the banner carrier to which i will maganatize the banner Capt X paitined (you can already see the hole)

gallery_40507_6199_153872.jpg

All i have left to paint is the justicar, which has been undercoated and then the heavy weapon lad who is yet to be undercoated. That will leave me with just the Dread Knight to paint and then anything Capt X sends my way

As alwasy C&C are welcome and hopefully i can get a lick of paint of the servo skull bases.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

An update will be coming soon-ish, but I've come to logger heads with Coteaz's tabbard and cloak. As you can see above I started with a base of bleached bone, but i thought that it was too bright for the model. So I've toned it down to kommando khaki, but in doing so I've stumped myself.

Any one, PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I need some advice on how to shade the khaki well, all the browns I've used so far end up either going pinky and yuck or are just too "orange".

Please lend any advice you can

Cheer

Cpt X

Very nice thread - can't believe I have not stumbled across it before!!!! The Dread is awesome, love the shoulder cannons! The sevro skull looks ace! Very effective use of them, I have a few but they lay dormant in my bits box. Your GK looks class, will defo be tabbing this thread!!!!

I find the best way to get the effect that it sounds like you are after is to start off with a snakebite leather basecoat then go over this with a fifty fifty mix of Snakebite leather and bleached bone. From there I tend to keep adding thin watered down layers adding a little more bleached bone to the mix working further and further from the recesses.

Great looking models though guys. :)

I usually do my cloth/purity seal ribbons like this:

- Khemri Brown

- Devlan Mud wash

- Khemri Brown (not in the recesses)

- highlight with Kommando Khaki, then Dhenab Stone

- Pure Dhenab Stone to finish

Hope this helps!

@ iron_adam, thanks i just thought it was a little stubby tbh and also as hes my champion i thought hed have a better more killy halberd than the rest!

it appears that tabbards are the question for the day, im in the middle of painting the justicar for my paladins unit and im unsure what colour to go for. id rather not have brown as it would be adding another colour to the pallet, im unsure weather to go for a red front with white front, red all over, or white all over?

any help would be appreciated.

Archived