Codex: Chaos Legions

Looked but didn't see this potential good news up yet here.

Taken from the Blood of Kittens Community Hub.

Interesting indeed.

We, the gamers, are sitting on the receiving end of this dishonest policy once more. We are treated like children and that is exactly the goal of these changes. So here are some of their plans, as long as the info is available, to spoil some of their surprises:

* first real 6th edition codex: Codex Chaos Legions, really big release in three waves, doesn’t invalidate Codex Chaos Space Marines which gets extensive White Dwarf update as Codex Renegade Space Marines

* two starter sets, each with rules, dices, movement markers, mission booklet, one with Dark Angels and fitting scenery, the other with Black Legion and Chaos scenery. You can combine both to play the campaign or use one set alone to play a selection of dumbed down scenarios against every other force, first starter set that comes with a model for a well established special character

* 6th edition is finished rulewise for some time now, the overall goal is to fix some of the long time problems of the game system. Expect a lot more fundamental improvements than last edition. The rules were even more ambitious at some stage of development, but didn’t get approved as they were too far away from the established rules. The main designer left company and his successors brought the rules back in line with the existing codexes. The rules are nonetheless a bigger step forward than from 4th to 5th. Changes are so big that the next edition relies partial on erratas to fix old codexes. Development relied heavily on feedback of veteran playtesters. You can see some results of this new approach by the way the FAQs were handled in the last months. All codexes since Codex Tyranids were written with the new rules in mind, especially the new mission and reserve structure.

* The main design goals are: one book to rule them all, heroic characters, visceral combat, streamlined mechanism, cleaned up presentation and strategy before chance

* strong narrative focus on Chaos, perspective shifting from the Empire to the struggle between free races and the Warp

Ragnarok - Disclaimer. This is not an official rumour, just a thought.

What if there was an allies system with the three books, along with 'one book' of allies that all of them could take? For example, the basic troops for the Chaos Gods, a couple of sorceror type units, and the cult troops?

I'm always one for rehabilitating the current book's "one size fits all" philosophy, but this sounds nice, too. What looks to be the overall thrust of 6th Ed is really encouraging.

Am I the only person who thinks that's it's completely feasible to put all three chaos races in one book and pull it off well? Well, I may have been preaching that the whole time but when it's my turn to get four books I don't think I'll turn it down! I'd still rather they stuck all of chaos in one book, and all of those thrice cursed space marines in one as well.

I'm not sure if any one else appreciates this but: Warseer's "Ghost21", a veritable rumour monger with credits to his name, lended his word to these rumours citing "starter set isnt black legion...... rest is kinda accurate"

Frankly if half of these rumours were correct I'd be a very happy mensch. The only things that would make me happier are a move stat, vehicles reverting to a regular stateline and psychic powers that can be chosen by all races with psychic powers.

I take one book to rule them all meaning that the core rule book will have the rules for fliers, apocalypse, cities of death, planetstrike etc. Probably for a million pounds.

That little sentence isn't talking about the Legions codex, it's talking about the main book.

I enjoy the idea of this game being incredibly, incredibly lethal. We as players will, of course, have to cope with the paradigm shift, however I enjoy the idea of 40k becoming more complex instead of the game all of the crusty old WFB players look down their noses at. I also like less randomness. That, alone, will set this apart from WFB.

I hope they go with a system where the basic Troop option is a Chaos Marine Squad, and you have to take a specific Aspiring Champion to differentiate between Legions, for example, a Plague Sergeant, or a Priest Sergeant, and these all come with Legion rules, like the Mark rules, for example, Plague Sergeant makes his unit +1 T or FnP, while the Priest Sergeant makes his unit Fearless.

Sounds awesome but I'll believe it when I see it.

Seconded. If this ends up being true, awesome, but I won't hold my breath.

It does kind of make sense though, especially given what Cavatore said in the BOLS interview a while back (that GW were thinking of doing Legion dexes). I'm not holding my breath either, but I sure as hell am starting to save up some extra cash ;)

Redoing legions would be a big mistake. The way of win is to take the warband concept and build it to coherency. None of the fluff we have seen has shown the legions as whole since 40k came out*. The reason the legion concept seems decent is because of the non-concept in 4th. We need special characters worth taking. Warbands that people actually want to play. Its not space marine chapters vs. chaos legions now, it's space marine chapters vs. chaos warbands. We need them to show us decendancy. It needs to be shown how your marines can be in a warband but still be wordbearers or worldeaters, or night lords. Special characters need to talk about the warband they belong to. Typhus leads a specific faction of death guard. They should make it more apparent.

* ok so not all but damned near.

Are some warbands made up of warriors mostly from the same legion? Sure are. Are some warbands made up of legionary veterans exclusively? Maaaaaybe. Did chaos marines of the same legion background fight long enough together, after the heresy, as a solid legion, to garner rules as to how they should be played. Maybe, probably not. Besides the black legion, which I'm going to say right here is not a legion, but a huge warband, none of the former legions have any post heresy structure to speak of. 4th did a good job of creating this but they should have repainted the minis in the pictures. Combining legions for a fight looks dumb, building a warband out of the shattered remnants of legions looks wonderful.

Not holding my breath for this.

Also,

For all we know, if it - or something like it - finally happens then Plague Marines will get a 'sneeze attack' that stops the victim from telling the truth! and we will have Lava-Ice-crystal-marines everywhere and Night Lords will get the ability to "super-charge/overload" *.

*references to the newer retcons designed to dazzle 14-year olds but really makes no sense.

Yes I'm a bitter old man. :P

Sounds awesome but I'll believe it when I see it.

Seconded. If this ends up being true, awesome, but I won't hold my breath.

+1 as the young ones tend to say now days.

It would be nice with a Legion Codex though.

I would have the weirdest boner...

Not holding my breath for this.

Also,

For all we know, if it - or something like it - finally happens then Plague Marines will get a 'sneeze attack' that stops the victim from telling the truth! and we will have Lava-Ice-crystal-marines everywhere and Night Lords will get the ability to "super-charge/overload" *.

*references to the newer retcons designed to dazzle 14-year olds but really makes no sense.

Yes I'm a bitter old man. B)

Sounds like Wards note book..

I am holding my breath on this one as it has been said so many times before

Archived