Angels of Redemption

I decided to re-build my DA army.. after having sold the "green marines" and the Deathwing, keeping only Ravenwing (decision I now have come to regret) I decided it was time for a re-build, this time in the form of the less seen but equally cool Sucessor Angels of Redemption after a former failure to rebuild in the form of Angels of Vigilance (I can't paint yellow good enough) . Rebuild will be a long and slow process that I will document here on B&C.

here's first models (command squad):

gallery_404_1264_286924.jpg

The left one was test model made by a friend, the rest will follow that same patter and are WIP.

In the works is also a Whirlwind tank.

BTW: I still struggle with robe colour.. any suggestions besides the obvious black? maybe Dark red?

Hey I wondered what had happened to that AoV test model I remember seeing.

Best of luck with this project – the greatest challenge will be getting the join straight where the different coloured armour meets :HQ:

For robes: Black or dark brown are good suggestions but a bit dull maybe (?). Try a mid-to-dark purple. Check out the Chapter Master on the back cover of the DA Codex – always loved that colour with DA green and bleached bone.

edit: check this colour from a post in the the Hall of Honour PCA section

Cheers

I

Looking great so far, Mr Chaplain Sir.

I'd say you have set yourself a TONNE of work to create a whole army shaded to that excellent standard, I can't wait to see more.

Isiah raises a very good point about the robes, if you can find a way to lift them up a bit they would be better. Maybe a bit of cross hatching drybrushing to give the texture of cloth then washed a red or crimson to create a point of difference?

That said, as long as you are happy with the end result, they look brilliant so far.

Keep it up

stobz

Excellent! Keep it up! I always liked the scheme but find it difficult to implement - especially the bone-white part of the armour. Look forward for more stuff. The more successors the better!

On the robes I tried a blue-black for my Disciples but it turned out too dark. Plus the blue(ish) highlights and green didn't work as well as I have hoped for. It's still OK but... However in your case with the bone-white element the contrast looks very nice. On purple... I don't know. First off I personally find it too "regal" to impose on all robed figures. For the Master it'll look fine (if done correctly - my skill is kind of limited on this front) but for all robed figures it is too much. I guess you could try the brown - but what you've done is nice and unique.

Time for an update.

Not having the dark purple in my possession and wanting tio finish the said veterans ASAP (for a campaign) I had to make do with brown for robes.. they turned out OK, specially after a magic badab black wash...

gallery_404_1264_389660.jpg

gallery_404_1264_336761.jpg

gallery_404_1264_379869.jpg

Still WIP but closer to the end... next will be the whirlwind tank.

Lookin good brutha. Can't go wrong with the Angels of Redemption paint scheme. Have you decided to go with a split scheme for the vehicles or quartered?

This update will answer that question.

gallery_404_1264_492595.jpg

Half scheme. I thought of quartered but painting half is hard enough so I decided to KISS-it.

Plus: the banner

gallery_404_1264_248685.jpg

Not yet complete... the 4th company (IV) plus a enigmatic lightning bolt splittting an "Unknown" planet. Not 100% pleased but it will have to do for now... 1 year without touching a brush, my freehand skills are still rusty.

Veterans are 90% complete and so far I'm pleased with them. This weekend I'll start the terminators if all goes well.

Note of caution on the Terminators.

The Chapter symbol switches to the green side on the Terminators. The black wings will disappear into the green. You might want to paint the wings a different color. Red to match the Tac squad, grey as a lighter black, or keep them the same color as the skull - white/bone.

Very nice and the dark brown works really well. You could try purple robes for characters to differentiate them a little more.

Might I suggest a metallic colour for the chest eagles - it might help to give you some more options and variety. At the moment, the eagles suffer from having dark green on one half.

Well, an expected day off from work and I could keep some momentum.

Better (hopefully!) pictures from the work done so far.

gallery_404_1264_61278.jpg

gallery_404_1264_1191258.jpg

gallery_404_1264_491344.jpg

gallery_404_1264_1719571.jpg

Vets only need basing and a few touches. Dreadnought is complete. Whirlwind is at 90%

Busy week, not much time for painting.. but I have some small updates

gallery_404_1264_44206.jpg

terminator squad

gallery_404_1264_47666.jpg

almost finished terminator..

I'm not sure on the battle damage.. the recipe looks good on the bone, but on the green side battle damage doesn't show as much... i'm using a 50/50 black/codex grey for the chipping... Not sure it it should be black/brown.. but then it could not look good on the bone side...

• 3 months later...

Well real life has been keeping me busy.. but I think it's stabilising. SO I have no new updates on painting, but I got new additions to the AoR Rarmy. I'm now the proud owner of half of the first company.

gallery_404_1264_16549.jpg

3 land raider cruisaders, 5 dreadnougts, 22 TH&SS terminators (LOL) and 2 belial versions, amongst others.

here's the 2 belial:'s

gallery_404_1264_656976.jpg

Better conversions than I could ever pull, one of the reasons I bought the army. I'm not too happy with the converted cyclones, but I can live with them

Yes, i think there're a lot of work :D

But ones that're already done... I don't like Angels of Redemption, but your guys look great! Command squad is my favourite, esp. the Apothecary, flamer veteran and the fist one :)

• 4 weeks later...

gallery_404_1264_103413.jpg

More progress. Sorry about photo quality...

As for progress I decided to paint the battle ready section... so far it's only undercoat and 3 colors, no highlights.

Friday will see the 3rd battle of this army, thid time against Blood Angels. Going 1-0-1 so far, also tuning up the list to my likings...

Archived