Guardians of the Covenant WIP

Zincite

So... I was looking at my Dark Angels on the shelf, and decided to re-paint them in a new chapter's scheme. Looking in the Codex, I found a few options. Iron Hands, Death Specters, and Doom Legion were all appealing. It was the last that won out (For a time at least), since they were easy to paint, simply requiring drybrushing.

But then I took a look at the Dark Angels codex, and saw the Guardians of the Covenant. Almost the same paint scheme, but with extra added awesome-ness in the form of fluff. Then I thought I may as well drag out a few older models , so at least I had a playable force. These old models were the really old ones completely clogged up with paint that I'd won in a bundle off eBay. Trying out painting them, I made a discovery.

They actually looked good.

Despite the paint clogging them up, despite the rubbish modelling, they looked good. Not awesome, but good. The drybrushing brung out the detail.

So I dug up the rest, and found I had a fully playable (as in, more than a combat patrol) force. Rather chuffed with being able to revive these old models I thought lost forever in the mists of too-thick paint, I dicided to make an army out of them. And no half-baked schemes that never last a month this time, either.

So moving onwards, I bought a 10-man veteran squad (still in the post) and when they come, I'll have 1000 points of C:SM marines. Woot!

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I'll get them up tomorrow. :wub:

So, the fluff we know about the Guardians of the Covenant (at least, in the DA codex) says that they're very monastic, with extracts from the Codex and other such books written upon their armour. Also, they've headed a crusade or two into the Halo Stars, the bit above the Eye of Terror.

Sadly, I've little modeling I've been able to do to these, so there's not much to reflect that. I will be adding text on their armour, and I'm hoping to free-hand the Chapter symbol and squad insignia. ^_^

But... Pictures! A lot of pictures, really. Hopefully they've come out okay.

Full shot army shot, minus the Veterans:

gallery_57656_5812_2788770.jpg

First tactical squad. This'll be the first squad to be painted further. Note that there's still a lot of work to be done, particularly on the eyes.

gallery_57656_5812_1967571.jpg

Sergeant shot, with a battle-damaged marine on the right side. I'm quite happy with the way they both came out modeling-wise, and I'll hopefully be doing some more damage on the Sternguard. Thoughts are welcome! :P

gallery_57656_5812_2932925.jpg

Missile launcher dude, with spotter. I like these guys, I find it easy to imagine the spotter calling out targets. gallery_57656_5812_4557152.jpg

Tactical squad two. Very little done on these. Note the Doom Legion marine still waiting metal trims.

gallery_57656_5812_3059975.jpg

Nice shot showing the metal effect. Both are 'rescued' marines.

gallery_57656_5812_5443761.jpg

Terminators.

gallery_57656_5812_784891.jpg

The brother on the right there had a close-range encounter with a can of Spray paint, and then a piece of tissue. It's provided a nice melta effect though.

gallery_57656_5812_3054256.jpg

Tech-marine.

gallery_57656_5812_1013819.jpg

Apothecary and Veteran sergeant. I'm rather pleased with how well the Medic came out, since he was really clogged up with paint.

gallery_57656_5812_399562.jpg

Captain, with a rather hurried fix on the arm.

gallery_57656_5812_1068972.jpg

And finally the Librarian, leader of the force

gallery_57656_5812_4909714.jpg

So, there you go. I'm very happy with the detail the drybrushing has brought out, and once the eyes and other details are done I'll be happy with them.

Comments and criticism are very welcome, though I'm afraid there's not much to comment on yet. Hopefully I'll have the sergeant of the first tactical squad done tomorrow, so there might be something to see then.

I've made some progress on the Sergeant. He still needs a lot of work on the Chapter insigna, but the Squad markings are done. The Tactical arrow will be improved upon with the next miniature. It looks better from a distance, trust me.

I'm not really happy with the eyes though, I tried the GW method of 'gem' eyes, but I didn't really feel it gave a sinister enough look. So, experimenting on one of the grunts, I got this method, but it's ended up with only white, whereas I wanted yellow around the edges. Still, this was the 'test' miniature.

gallery_57656_5812_540194.jpg

gallery_57656_5812_1742536.jpg

gallery_57656_5812_3702597.jpg

Comments and Criticism very welcome!

Oh, and I won this in a Dark Eldar painting competition. Not really sure what I'll do with a Scaven Warlord. Maybe I can pass it off as a Watcher in the Dark... gallery_57656_5812_1445972.jpg

Aye, I probably will. Depends on how much it'll sell for though. Those on eBay seem to go for about £10, but then I've seen Gamesday Space Marine figures go for as little as £3. Still, make sure it finishes on Sunday and it should be good...

Oh, and I've made some lonely progress, though no pictures yet. Almost finished another tactical marine in an attempt to put off painting the Chapter Free-hand on the sergeant. Much more happy with him than the sergeant, since I've avoided many of the pit-falls I tripped into before.

coming along nicely. look good

Thanks!

Anyway. I've been leveling my Death Knight in WoW, and along with some Roleplaying I haven't had much time to make much more progress.

However, my veterans came in the post, so I'm pretty happy. They're built using the Black Templars upgrade kit, but they look awesome enough that it makes up for it. I'm a bit miffed with all the crosses (There's a thread in the DA forum), but I'm probably going to pass them off as Crux Terminatus.

gallery_57656_5812_9864.jpg#

Two suits of mark four armour! How cool is that? Also pretty awesome keeling conversion, though it'll need tidying up a bit. And that one in the middle is my favorite out of the whole lot.

gallery_57656_5812_2876.jpg

However, there's a problem or two. The one made from the Dark Angel upgrade sprue (only one that is) has his arms positioned down too much, and his head is raised up. The second one has a little bit of glue damage to his shoulder pad and chainsword

gallery_57656_5812_4046.jpg

Sorry about the quality of that last picture, my camera decided first that my hands were shaking to much and wouldn't focus, and then that Space Marine Veterans were boring and that, actually, it would be far more interesting to focus on that piece of desk in the distance...

So, haven't progressed much. I have speed-painted up a Veteran though to see roughly what they'll look like. What do people here think, too Templar-ish?

Front.

gallery_57656_5812_3414438.jpg

Back.

gallery_57656_5812_1677411.jpg

So, new captain plundered from that broken Veteran, and parts from the Bits Box. Just Blutac-ed together at the moment.

gallery_57656_5812_2496502.jpg

C&C welcome.

hail fellow Battle Brother, really nice models there, keep painting and work on techniques like washing and perhaps edge highlighting when youre more confident with your fine detail brushes. but no criticism from me, great effort man. there are a bunch of us who are rocking with Guardians of the Covenant so youre not alone. 10/10 for effort.

look forward to seeing more of your work. good luck. ~smiles~

peace

• 1 month later...

Cheers both. :P

Long time and no update. But, still, something has happened. Got the first Tactical squad done.

gallery_57656_5812_619210.jpg

gallery_57656_5812_2168782.jpg

gallery_57656_5812_918629.jpg

They look like something the cat sicked up really, but I'm quite happy with them. The freehand for the chapter symbol, I kinda gave up on. With that decision however, it became much easier to paint them.

Oh, and much to my shame, I've turned down the Hammerator route.

gallery_57656_5812_3646130.jpg

The Brother on the left still needs his arms/shoulders glueing on. Brother on the right will need his Melta Damage extended down his left arm at least methinks. And that connection on the Stormshield to the arm looks bad, that's just the photo for once.

There's been quite a lot of progress on the Veterans, they've been mostly De-Templared, had some new stuff stuck on, and had a few new members join the squad. They should be done in the next few days (Didn't I say that before...?) and I'll put up pictures then.

Thought for the day: Only the insane may prosper. Only the prosperous may truly judge what is sane.

Progress here! A little late, but nonetheless here.

It should be noted that they're only on the first stage of drybrushing in these photos, though I've just given them their second one just now.

Sterguard.

gallery_57656_5812_3525365.jpg

The three additions added to the squad, who somehow look far better here than in real life.

gallery_57656_5812_4987739.jpg

I've stuck extra pouches/grenades on all of them. The Templar Cross only remains on the Melta gun because I couldn't think of a way to remove it without breaking that line between the grip and the main body.

gallery_57656_5812_2652211.jpg

Vanguard. The two on the left were the first ones I drybrushed, and as you can see I had to take a few goes to remember how to do it properly. They've just been re-basecoated in order to repair the thick spreading of the coat.

gallery_57656_5812_4322714.jpg

What happens when you use a Bolter and CCW without true grit? It becomes harder to aim and harder to hit at long range. Almost like... say... a Bolt Pistol! :Elite:

gallery_57656_5812_297000.jpg

gallery_57656_5812_4034169.jpg

And finally, the Captain. gallery_57656_5812_1244789.jpg

Criticism, comments and death threats are welcomed. :)

Thought for the day: Even a man who has nothing may still have faith.

Very nice work!

Thank you! I've read through your fluff, and it's a very enjoyable and interesting read. You portray the 'Dark Angel' feel very well.

Finished the Techmarine on Saturday. I'm pretty pleased with him, though I'll probably re-visit the base at some point.

gallery_57656_5812_4888738.jpg

gallery_57656_5812_1892967.jpg

gallery_57656_5812_1923976.jpg

Thoughts, comments, criticism and over-due tax reports are welcomed.

EDIT: Quoted myself by mistake instead of replying. :(

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: Quoted myself instead of replying again. Pictures will be up in a moment. EDITmk2: Fixed.

Finished the Terminators and the first Veteran squad. Just leaves the Libby, second Tactical Squad, and Vanguard squad.

gallery_57656_5812_2987300.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality there.

gallery_57656_5812_4721238.jpg

It is very possible that this picture shows far too much of my work.

gallery_57656_5812_3572455.jpg

Comments and criticism welcomed.

• 3 weeks later...

New update!

gallery_57656_5812_4634324.jpg

I'm happy with these. The only things that went wrong were really due to the fact that a few of the miniatures are really old. The sergeant stands out...

And the army as it stands.

gallery_57656_5812_4336166.jpg

The only thing left to now do is the Second CC veteran/command squad, the Libby, and the Apothecary and the Master, and they shouldn't take much time...

C&C welcomed.

Cheers all for the replies. Your praise feeds my painting. :(

@Tiny Sam. As Boldtype says, it's from the basic plastic CSM boxed set. Weirdly, no one actually seems to use it, even GW itself, which is a shame since it's awesome. I've never understood why everybody uses that other 'skull' head for Kit-bashed Chaplains.

On the bases, I'm aware they look crap. I sort of gave up, since I've never been very good at them. I'm tempted to give one of these a try though, specifically the 'Mudland' one. The trouble is that I've based them with 'grass' rather than sand, so it might turn out as bad as the green.

Scibor have a good variety of cool bases to!

Scibor's Bases

But, like, that require spending money! [/oldskinflint]

I went into my local Games Workshop yesterday with the intention of sitting down, doing some serious painting, and getting my Veterans done. I ended up helping the manager rearrange the store.

I went in again today, with the same purpose. The store, I might note was very nicely rearranged. But in the end, through three hours of painting, I managed to do a few basecoats, and finished off a Termaguant.

Yes, that's right. Three hours of painting, and I manage to finish a single Termaguant. But he is a nice Termaguant. I am proud of him. ;)

So, not much progress...

I think they look good. You've got a good start on this. Since the cross is very similar to the elites crux symbol I'd just leave it. I've used the BT cross drop pod plate as a knee pad for an Ironclad dreadnought when painted as a badge rather than an army icon it looks just fine. Same w/ using an inverted UM symbol as an omega symbol.

I am loving the really pitted battle damage on that Tactical Marine.

I assume it's just a matter of drilling in and carving it out with a hobby knfe?

Archived