Step aside, Marneus!

I've been working on this on and off for some time now. Some of you may recall the early skeletal phase in my Stormwing thread (located here). He's progressed a little more now and i feel he's ready to start being documented WIP so here he is! Bulk of the body is there and i've started detailing his chest. I've also done a few sketches to work out hair design, weapons etc.

He's going to count as Beliel so i've magnetised the arms to have different weaponary. Having said that, he could very well count as Marneus or Lysander when/if i ever need them so it's always handy to have. I'm just concerened whether I want to paint over a "green" since it would limit my opportunity to repaint if i ever want to. However, i dont really have access to casting materials (I just moved overseas) either... Thoughts? To my understanding, dipping a sculpt into simple green usually means all puttywork falls off :cuss

Anyway,

gallery_47037_6355_8398.jpg

gallery_47037_6355_662567.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm only one response :tu: Understandable, forums been busy lately and admittedly not too much to show in the previous post. To give a more substantial update, I've started putting a bit more detail on the sculpt. I've detaild the shin guards (including some scrollwork, thx dizzy ;)) and built up the stomach plate with a bit more detail as well. I've also got a preliminary form for the arms and shoulders. I'll need to make a few more arms with different weapons too, but that's an update for another time.

gallery_47037_6355_122362.jpg

I've also done his face. Of course, i'll need to add more techy bits, as well as a beard and a big, honking braided-topknot. I'm hoping that those will also cover up any flaws. The customary long White Scars facial scar is included, as well as some piercings. The expression I've given him is one of a raised eyebrow and a bit of a smirking grin, as though he'd just spotted a particularly juicy Ork Warboss. "hello, beasty...."

gallery_47037_6355_359129.jpg

As for scale, he's pretty big. Scale-wise, he's maybe slightly bigger than a standard terminator, but he's standing almost vertically upright. After more detailing, banners and base etc he'll really have the stature of a Chapter Master :). Here he is next to my 1st Brotherhood champion (who is sprinting mind you,) and a standard marine.

gallery_47037_6355_154055.jpg

Only in Texas can you get a belt buckle that big! Damn fine model. Awesome detail. Love it. Scroll work makes the model pop. So far it seems its all working out, but Ill save that for the final pin job.

Edit: Dont worry bout the size. Needs to be larger than life as leader of a chapter. Masters are always bigger badder larger dudes. Who ever heard of a short skinny Chapter Master anyway?

Edit2: Also liking the face and what you plan, although is the topknot necessary? Perhaps a long mane of hair freely flowing along in the breeze? I say this because with a topknot and him standing up straight already so large, wouldnt he just be smacking of Primarch size? Big bad ass marine bro. I dunno. Mb u can do both versions and see what looks best? Or do White Scars and topknots go together like Space Wolves and wolf pelts?

Thanks for the quick comments guys. I'd say a top-knot is FAIRLY mandatory for a White Scar character :) I plan on having it as a long braid like the Callidus assassins so it'll mostly hang down.

Quick question to you guys who might sculpt a bit more.. Do you paint your scratch sculpts? I'm tempted to cast this guy and keep the original copy green so I dont melt it if i ever need to paint strip....

Starting to take shape now... Shoulder pads are on now and i've added more detail to them and the arms.

One feature i'm quite proud of is the horse head ornament. More details on that to come soon :(

I've also developed the cape and arms a bit more; as annoying as sculpting around magnets is, at least it's easy to find a stand for them whilst the greenstuff cures!

enjoy!

gallery_47037_6355_129345.jpg

gallery_47037_6355_220202.jpg

Great work and amazing sculpting skills.

Seen the running terminator ill remember you were doing an awsome Deathwing army ala white scar, i think was called Stormwing or something like that, what happens to then? you finished it?

Keep the nice work coming Metal Apostle :(

Only in Texas can you get a belt buckle that big! Damn fine model. Awesome detail. Love it. Scroll work makes the model pop. So far it seems its all working out, but Ill save that for the final pin job.

Edit: Dont worry bout the size. Needs to be larger than life as leader of a chapter. Masters are always bigger badder larger dudes. Who ever heard of a short skinny Chapter Master anyway?

Edit2: Also liking the face and what you plan, although is the topknot necessary? Perhaps a long mane of hair freely flowing along in the breeze? I say this because with a topknot and him standing up straight already so large, wouldnt he just be smacking of Primarch size? Big bad ass marine bro. I dunno. Mb u can do both versions and see what looks best? Or do White Scars and topknots go together like Space Wolves and wolf pelts?

I haven't heard of a short skinny chapter master, but I have heard that Leman Russ was much shorter and smaller than his fellow primarcha. and the old model they had of him in 40k scale was no bigger than a tac marine and he was a primarch.

Amazing work, I wish I had half your skills. I really like where you're going with this model, and the little detail elements are really started to fit together nicely and gives the model a good balance.

The only thing that jumps out at me is about the head. To my eye, the chin is too narrow. It looks like some masquerade masks I've seen, instead of being a real face. Astartes are usually of the large square-jawed variety; personally I'd prefer to see a larger and stronger jawline. But that's just me. Please know that I'm in complete awe of your sculpting talents.

I haven't heard of a short skinny chapter master, but I have heard that Leman Russ was much shorter and smaller than his fellow primarcha. and the old model they had of him in 40k scale was no bigger than a tac marine and he was a primarch.

At the time that model was available, GW didnt have Primarchs like they do now and that Leman Russ model with the two wolves wasnt even a primarch. He was instead just an original legion marine of distinction. I actually have that model and the two wolves. In fact, somewhere, there is a pic of him and a caption of sorts describing him like I have all from GW. He was originally NOT a Primarch.

Please. You make me wanna bring out the GS myself. :huh:

Love the work you've done so far. The details on his legs are great, and you have managed to give him a feral yet majestic feel. More Jubal Kahn to the people =)

- Nat

Updating again!

Biggest additions would be a pair of banner poles (Chinese opera style :)) to give the guy even more command presence. I know that sort of flag more Chinese decoration rather than Mongolian but I'm happy with it, he's a Chapter Master and should be able to afford that stuff ;) And as customary for White Scar officers, a big furry cloak to keep him warm. Whilst I don't have a Marneus or Logan model, I'm pretty sure he's at least the same size if not beefier.

Also, i've detailed the swords a little bit more and given him thumbs (hah). Again, 9 ring broadsword (I could only fit 5 comfortably) is Chinese but close enough...

gallery_47037_6355_680449.jpg

wow, this is just awesome, remember stumbling upon your storm wing list and feeling in awe then too, keep up the good work!

One tiny problem to me is the horse head, it looks like it is where it would be if he was wearing it on his head, like the bretonian knight's do, maybe with his head there it will look better.

Absolutely stunning work! Can't wait to see it with the head sculpt, and then again when it's finished being painted.

Makes me want to use some of my Space Wolves bits that I have hoarded to start a White Scars force. (Gotta get my Word Bearers done first though!)

Archived