Captain Semper's Consecrators

Captain Semper

So my small Consecrator force based completely on the "rule of cool": They are all "archaic" in armour choices with standard marines having my all-time favoured armour the Mk5 while the Veterans will get the Mk4. If I decide to do a command squad I'll be Mk3 and a Captain Mk2 - just for variety and to denote seniority...

So here we go:

A 5-strong marine squad of the 6th company (tactical reserve):

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/ackool/IMG_0383.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/ackool/IMG_0384.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/ackool/IMG_0385.jpg

Then I added a "shooty" Company Veterans of the 6th - Squad Kadmiel:

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/ackool/IMG_0381.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/ackool/IMG_0380.jpg

And two more detailed pics of the Seargent Kadmiel:

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/ackool/IMG_0379.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/ackool/IMG_0382.jpg

Time for some serious stuff: Contemptor!!! Brother Rhamiel is the only chance to get a "Furioso" in a DA army... And it's dead cool too! (for those that have seen a WIP version in my Desciples thread I brought the right hand lower a bit...)

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/ackool/IMG_0374.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/ackool/IMG_0375.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/ackool/IMG_0376.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/ackool/IMG_0377.jpg

Finally: a surprise! I don't know why I made this guy - I just could not resist...

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/ackool/IMG_0386.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/ackool/IMG_0387.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/ackool/IMG_0388.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/ackool/IMG_0389.jpg

Thx for your comments! I actually intend to continue with Consecrators and do a Ravenwing army to work together with my Disciples Deathwing. But there will be a Chaplain on foot and another Contemptor - a Mortis this time!

Loving this. Crisp, smooth paintjobs and very good colour choices for highlights, metallics, studs etc. Overall, nice and well done. The leg "tattoo" on your Dreadnought just says "WINNING" across the room.

Only things I'd like to comment on: the Terminator has a massive, ugly mouldline on his hammer. Also, I'm not entirely sold on the green on the back-banner; I'd personally make it red and black and more "brooding", to fit in better with the rest of the army.

Overall, though, I love this. Can't wait to see more of your work.

Loving this. Crisp, smooth paintjobs and very good colour choices for highlights, metallics, studs etc. Overall, nice and well done. The leg "tattoo" on your Dreadnought just says "WINNING" across the room.

Only things I'd like to comment on: the Terminator has a massive, ugly mouldline on his hammer. Also, I'm not entirely sold on the green on the back-banner; I'd personally make it red and black and more "brooding", to fit in better with the rest of the army.

Overall, though, I love this. Can't wait to see more of your work.

Thx for your kind words. There will be more Consecrators for sure!

The mouldline will go. I really did this figure in an impulse without thinking the "big picture" as I do not intend to do any Consecrators Deathwing... Just liked the Mk5-ish TDA too much.

The point you are raising regarding the green on the banner is interesting. I wanted to introduce another color (apart from red and black) and frankly I thought that the colors that denote the Company were fixed. I still don't want to use further red and black on the banner but maybe white and black? I don't know...

Do other people think that the green on the banner clashes badly with the rest of the pallette?

I think perhaps experimenting with shades of Shadow Grey and Necron Abyss to create a deep, dark blue could work - it would complement the highlighting already in place (which, as noted, works REALLY well on this model) as well as keeping in theme with the dark and brooding nature of the army, which in term will help contrast the red details. Using white as you suggest could work as well, though I think the bone you already have in place fits in very well already.

And who's to say the Consecrators doesn't have their own company markings? :D

All in all, go with what you feel is natural and think is the best. Regardless of green or blue, your painting is very good.

great work on your consecrators. I like the green and white banner on the sergeant. It is the company markings, right? But i do think you need to create the sergeant's personal icon on the banner over the white and green banner.

The writing on the dreadnought's leg draws away from the model itself.

What are the red and black hazard markings on the dread and sergeant?

I think a squad of consecrator terminators would not to make from your other deathwing. Are the Ravenwing you are going to make going to be from the Consecrators also?

The mark 5 armours were prone to overheat if i remember correctly. I would use them for your devastators.

Your assault squads should be Mark 3 (without jump pack) and Mark 2 (with jump pack). Also characters.

Veterans look good in Mark 4.

Do you have plans for any Mark 6?

Here is the decals you were needing:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...mp;showfile=186

Just my 2 cents anyway. I will watch this thread to see how your army grows.

The point you are raising regarding the green on the banner is interesting. I wanted to introduce another color (apart from red and black) and frankly I thought that the colors that denote the Company were fixed. I still don't want to use further red and black on the banner but maybe white and black? I don't know...

Do other people think that the green on the banner clashes badly with the rest of the pallette?

CPT Semper, these look awesome! You've done a great job! I wouldn't have done the hanging skulls in bronze/gold, but they do look like trophies that the guy plans on keeping around for a while, so they've been dipped. :D I personally don't like hazard striping, but you've done a very good job on it and it does add interest to your minis. Almost all my other comments have already been said. Again, looking great!

I don't know that the green "clashing" is that much of an issue, as it does stand out boldly from the rest of the palette. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it can be distracting some, though it doesn't bother me at all, as long as it isn't green and red together.

As far as the company markings, I think that the Successor Chapters pages (pg. 72-73) somewhat shows that they aren't completely fixed:

1. The "paper model" Angel of Vengeance presented seems to have the 3rd Company marking indicated with the red knee stripe, but the background is the Chapter's black, rather than green as it would be for the Dark Angels.

2. The "paper model" Angel of Absolution presented appears to have a 5th Company quartered marking, but instead of the lower left quarter being black as it would be on the Dark Angels, the lower left quarter, in addition to the upper right quarter both appear to be the same color green. The mini that seems to correspond to this color scheme marked Bezrael does appear to have a company marking painted on the knee, but the skull takes up too much of the knee pad to really make out what the colors are, though it appears to match the quartered scheme presented in the "paper model" image.

3. The other four images don't even have company markings displayed and neither do any of the painted models.

4. The page says "you may like to invent your own unique Unforgiven Chapter, complete with insignia of your devising" which, given that they don't present all the company insignia for the "legitimate" Successors, I take to mean that you may have to do that for them as well. For the most part, they are likely simple color swaps using the markings already defined for companies for the Dark Angels, but for example, the 8th Company marking probably won't work all that well for the AoV or DoC (but I don't think it works well for the DA either), and the 6th Company marking simply looks like the Angels of Redepmtion color scheme for their armor, but in reverse and placed on the knee, which would seem a silly company designator IMO.

5. In the first paragraph on the top right on page 73, it says "Some of these Chapters use special uniforms and markings for these units, while others do not." This is in reference to the 1st and 2nd Companies, which also indicates to me that you are more than free to choose your color schemes separate from the DA organization insignia, and while this quote only references the 1st and 2nd Companies, combined with information on the previous page, I think all of this was left without specific definition so that the players can be creative, and no one can argue "That's not what the GotC 1st Company looks like!" or "Angels of Redemption don't use green on their 2nd Company!"

Not sure if that helps or hinders.

Brother Varen, those are some awesome decals. My hat doffed to Dracul for making them and thanks for posting them. I need to wander over into those and see what other goodies are there.

Love them, keep the green, it gives you a point of DA successor reference without going too far in the non Consecrators direction.

Really sharp paintwork CS, love the blueish highlights, imo though you NEED to drill your barrels (1mm or 1.5mm if you are very careful), your work is too good not to to deserve that detail.

I generally didn't like the FW model for the Consecrator, yours is beginning to change my mind, the red stripe stops it looking like a fat wheeliebin, awesome work dude.

Keep up the great work,

stobz

First off I'd like to thank you all for your feedback and kind words!

I think perhaps experimenting with shades of Shadow Grey and Necron Abyss to create a deep, dark blue could work - it would complement the highlighting already in place (which, as noted, works REALLY well on this model) as well as keeping in theme with the dark and brooding nature of the army, which in term will help contrast the red details. Using white as you suggest could work as well, though I think the bone you already have in place fits in very well already.

And who's to say the Consecrators doesn't have their own company markings? ;)

All in all, go with what you feel is natural and think is the best. Regardless of green or blue, your painting is very good.

OK as far as the fluidity of markings and colors go you are of course right. They could be identical with the DAs or they could be of similar pattern but different coloration or they could be completely different in every respect. They could even be Codex-style! In fact as I've grown to dislike the "red on green" I intend to change the squad markings of my tactical Disciples to the white arrow instead the double ended red arrow they have now... That in itself is a bit less DA and a bit more "Codex" but I can live with that!

But for the Consecrators I've reached the conclusion that I would like them to be instantly recognizable as DA succesor so I think I'd stick with the green on the banner... In fact I plan to do only another banner for the 6th (that of the sergeant of the 5 tacticals that will grow to full strength soon) and maybe one on the Chaplain who is also WIP...

great work on your consecrators. I like the green and white banner on the sergeant. It is the company markings, right? But i do think you need to create the sergeant's personal icon on the banner over the white and green banner.

The writing on the dreadnought's leg draws away from the model itself.

What are the red and black hazard markings on the dread and sergeant?

I think a squad of consecrator terminators would not to make from your other deathwing. Are the Ravenwing you are going to make going to be from the Consecrators also?

The mark 5 armours were prone to overheat if i remember correctly. I would use them for your devastators.

Your assault squads should be Mark 3 (without jump pack) and Mark 2 (with jump pack). Also characters.

Veterans look good in Mark 4.

Do you have plans for any Mark 6?

Here is the decals you were needing:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...mp;showfile=186

Just my 2 cents anyway. I will watch this thread to see how your army grows.

Yes, I decided to keep the green but I will add the number "1" on the banner to denote it is the first squad of the 6th and a skull to denote Company Veterans. I'm not sure I want to go overboard on personalization because of the risk of ruining the model (free hand not my strong point I'm afraid) and I like the austere, intorspected look on my force. Besides he gets the stripes on the shoulder pad as some kind of personalization.

I'm sorry you didn't like the writing on the leg, I thought it'd be a nice touch, you know with all these flat(ish) black surfaces, they were asking for a distraction. The transfer fits well in this space so I thought to give it a go. The end result looks OK to me but of course it is a matter of taste...

The "hazard" marks are not supposed to be hazard marks ;). They are supposed to be some recognition of veterancy (if such a word even exists). Therefore it was an excuse to visually distract the viewer from the "endless" blackness of the model. It also looks cool (I think) on the sergeant too. But maybe I'll add some personal marking to other Veterans -although less intricate.

RE: the Mk5 I was not aware of overheating... But it so happens I really, REALLY like it visually ;). So the (probably) sole tactical squad will be done in Mk5. I'm still considering expanding the Veteran squad with 5 more marines too, these ones will have some serious c/c weapons...

There are two reasons I'm not inclined to make Consecrator terminators. The first is that in my head I've decided the Deathwing will be from my Disciples Chapter. The second is that I really like the pre-Heresy feel my Consecrators are accumulating. A Terminator squad that would look identical in terms of armour as any other kind of detracts from this feel. Now if FW comes up with "period" TDA that be another thing altogether :teehee:.

I'm planning on adding a Mk3 unit. Possibly the Chaplains command squad? This is still in my head... But my "Greenwing" would still be Disciples. Regarding Mk 6 - well my entire Ravenwing will be Mk6!!! Beakie helmets all the way (and torsos). No imperial eagles for these guys...

Again thx for your comments and also for the link to the Consecrators decals... I've never done this - is the quality from one's own printer decent? I mean is the available transfer paper up to the job? Or does it require Golden Deamon skills to get it right?

CPT Semper, these look awesome! You've done a great job! I wouldn't have done the hanging skulls in bronze/gold, but they do look like trophies that the guy plans on keeping around for a while, so they've been dipped. :D I personally don't like hazard striping, but you've done a very good job on it and it does add interest to your minis. Almost all my other comments have already been said. Again, looking great!

I don't know that the green "clashing" is that much of an issue, as it does stand out boldly from the rest of the palette. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it can be distracting some, though it doesn't bother me at all, as long as it isn't green and red together.

As far as the company markings, I think that the Successor Chapters pages (pg. 72-73) somewhat shows that they aren't completely fixed:

1. The "paper model" Angel of Vengeance presented seems to have the 3rd Company marking indicated with the red knee stripe, but the background is the Chapter's black, rather than green as it would be for the Dark Angels.

2. The "paper model" Angel of Absolution presented appears to have a 5th Company quartered marking, but instead of the lower left quarter being black as it would be on the Dark Angels, the lower left quarter, in addition to the upper right quarter both appear to be the same color green. The mini that seems to correspond to this color scheme marked Bezrael does appear to have a company marking painted on the knee, but the skull takes up too much of the knee pad to really make out what the colors are, though it appears to match the quartered scheme presented in the "paper model" image.

3. The other four images don't even have company markings displayed and neither do any of the painted models.

4. The page says "you may like to invent your own unique Unforgiven Chapter, complete with insignia of your devising" which, given that they don't present all the company insignia for the "legitimate" Successors, I take to mean that you may have to do that for them as well. For the most part, they are likely simple color swaps using the markings already defined for companies for the Dark Angels, but for example, the 8th Company marking probably won't work all that well for the AoV or DoC (but I don't think it works well for the DA either), and the 6th Company marking simply looks like the Angels of Redepmtion color scheme for their armor, but in reverse and placed on the knee, which would seem a silly company designator IMO.

5. In the first paragraph on the top right on page 73, it says "Some of these Chapters use special uniforms and markings for these units, while others do not." This is in reference to the 1st and 2nd Companies, which also indicates to me that you are more than free to choose your color schemes separate from the DA organization insignia, and while this quote only references the 1st and 2nd Companies, combined with information on the previous page, I think all of this was left without specific definition so that the players can be creative, and no one can argue "That's not what the GotC 1st Company looks like!" or "Angels of Redemption don't use green on their 2nd Company!"

Not sure if that helps or hinders.

Brother Varen, those are some awesome decals. My hat doffed to Dracul for making them and thanks for posting them. I need to wander over into those and see what other goodies are there.

Not sure either :yes:

Just joking! Of course it does!

The hanging skulls are supposed to be metal and also supposed to be cencers! There goes my attempt for originality - oh well... The truth is I didn't want them to be skulls - I thought they'd be a bit out of character, like too savage. These guys are supposed to be clinical about their job - no trophies an' stuff. Since I could not remove them without destroying the model it thought I'd make them stylish cencers.

As far as company marking go you are right - there is a lot of room to be creative... In fact in FW IA 10 the Star Phantoms that are supposed to share the DA marking system sport a company badge similar to the 6th company but in black & white and they apply it to the 9th Company. So not only the colors are subject to change but also the patterns that denote companies. But regarding the green, I will keep it. I like the extra color and it sort of ties them to the DAs theme. So it stays. And I fully agree on your green & red point. In fact I'm re-working my Disciples with the aim to minmize red. There will be an update on them soon!

Interesting you mention GotC... I'm planning to do the 10th company elements from these guys... This is in the future though.

I also look forward for some updates on your project too!

Love them, keep the green, it gives you a point of DA successor reference without going too far in the non Consecrators direction.

Really sharp paintwork CS, love the blueish highlights, imo though you NEED to drill your barrels (1mm or 1.5mm if you are very careful), your work is too good not to to deserve that detail.

I generally didn't like the FW model for the Consecrator, yours is beginning to change my mind, the red stripe stops it looking like a fat wheeliebin, awesome work dude.

Keep up the great work,

stobz

Thx for your comments Stobz. I'll tell you what, I'll ship my miniatures to you and you drill them :lol:. Seriously though are you doing the drilling by hand or do you use an electric one? The manual one fills me with dread! The electric one sounds easier to handle but also OTT... I think I'll mail them to you after all!

Again thanks to every one for their comments. More to come soon!

Thx for your comments Stobz. I'll tell you what, I'll ship my miniatures to you and you drill them :P. Seriously though are you doing the drilling by hand or do you use an electric one? The manual one fills me with dread! The electric one sounds easier to handle but also OTT... I think I'll mail them to you after all!

Again thanks to every one for their comments. More to come soon!

HAHAHAHA, if you send them to me I might be inclined to keep them, they are cool. (make sure you send the dread too :lol: )

I use a pin vice ($10) it takes about 10 seconds to drill a plastic bolter and about 20 to drill a metal one, I did a whole company in less than 20 minutes mucking around and all. Your force won't take a whole evening even if you try ;).

Mark a centre start point with a drawing pin so you dont slip, use a 1mm bit (some use smaller but it looks weird, 1.5mm is do-able but riskier except on storm bolters) into the front and .5mm into the side vents, bung some black paint inside and silver on the face= done.

Your models are way too cool to not get that love. Electric drills are a smidgin faster on metal but harder to control and if you make a mistake you're buggered.

just like nike; JUST DO IT :P

BTW: your bases have more character than many peeps models, awesome uses of the bits box!!!

s

@ Brother Kovash:

Thx Brother, happy you like them. Stay tuned some more stuff are underway :P.

@ Stobz:

So pin vice huh? Manual labor! Oh well, if one has to do it... I'll just go in my modelling shop and ask for a pin vice with 1mm & 1.5mm pins and I'll say a guy in New Zealand made me... :P

The bases are from the Micro Art studio "Factory" line. I really like Micro Art studio bases. I've used the "Trash" line for my Disciples but I decided for something different for the Consecrators - although still in the urban theme. Glad you liked them but I did not make them myself - sadly... but I did paint them though!

Well done Captain Semper... but I'm afraid you are cramping my style! :nuke:

The terminator looks ace. You could always call him some sort of Consecrator HQ.

I like the red stripes, regardless of what they denote.

You might consider a subtle extreme highlight of another gray on the edges of armor (maybe I mentioned that before), but they still look good as is.

Of course I agree with Brother Varen for other Mks, my personal preference is to mix them all together (ie. a squad that has various armor mks in it).

As for the transfers, I too will try my hand at printing those (if I get to them before you, I'll post so you can see the outcome). I've printed decals on clear transfer paper, and I feel the quality was good. I also invested in micro sol and mirco set. Most vets will tell you to put some sort of gloss varnish down before you put the decal on as to thwart the potential of silvering (paint is matte and therefore bumpy in the microscopic sense) . I didn't with some of my DW mostly, because I'm lazy, and they look fine to me.

The pin vice is cheap and very easy. I'd worry about electric ones though.

Hey EPK!

Thanks for your comments!

I'm kind of sceptical about mixing the armour types... I'm afraid it might look a bit "untidy" or a bit "Chaosy" if you like. I can see the appeal and is certainly supported by the fluff - no problems there... but after reading ADBs Night Lord books it sort of hit me that a mismatch of armour types would be how a Chaos force would look - scavanging bits 'n pieces from defeated enemies and not having the resources to look homogenous . Now one can argue that as long as EACH armour is of the correct type (no Mk6 helmet on Mk5 armour for example) the force would look tidy enough but I'm not sure... I always thought Consecrators would be extermely thorough in preserving their armour and therefore I'd say that the squads would probably be issued the same type. Of course attrition would take its toll but then the older types would progress to the most senior members of the Chapter. Anyway all the options are open as I have not applied squad markings yet. I will reflect on this some more.

BTW are these micro sol and micro set (or the equivalents we get over here) able to remove decals? I'm looking to re-marking my Disciples (get rid of the red double arrow and replace them with the white upward arrow). Generally I'll try to eradicate the red on green as much as possible!

Let me just say that your work has been the inspiration for me to start on Consecrators in the first place (the Contemptor also had something to do with it :)).

Good point and well thought out on the armor mks. I do somewhat agree, mixing in older Mks for a Vet or two.

I haven't used Micro Sol in that capacity but it is a solvent that softens the decal so perhaps it could help - you might want to check into it first though. It will probably still take some light brushing or scraping in which case you might wind up having to retouch the paint.

I'm glad I did my part in getting you going with these Consecrators. Keep at it.

Archived