BA take 4th at SA Nationals.

Morticon

Heya guys.

As some of you will know, I had a thread up in the list section here -> Road to Nationals

You can follow the morphing and changing and discussion of the list there.

In short, the tourney saw 63 players play and me win 2 and draw one on day two - against 3 chaos players :)

Day 2 I came up against SW, GK and IG.

By the end of game 5 I was sitting on 4wins and a draw, and played the number one ranked player in the country(Luca - IG).

We battled it out to a 7-6 KP loss for me. Really gutted about it, as a win would have won me 1st place. But, cant win em all. It was a great game.

Pics and batreps to follow soon.

Great job, but that's got to hurt, losing to the top ranked player and losing first place by a single kil point! However if it wasn't in a tournament U'll bet that was a fun, close game. IG is tough, and I think particularily good against our guys.

Hahahha- it did !!!!

It was a "fun" game in that it was really exciting, and harrowing and tactical and just awesome. Just sucky that a whole bunch of roles (of mine) that would have swung the game big in my favour, went awry. (Not making excuses :HQ: "oh the dice did it", but..just pivotal things that would have made a huge diff - a crucial "wings" failing at the worst of times ;) ).

Our tourney record is now 3-2 to me (I'm 2nd ranked in the country at the moment :) hehehe).

His new incarnation of his list is a bit stronger than before (sadly).

The GK list was fearsome too.

Thanks BO :P

Link to my list is at the top of the page- its towards the bottom of page 3.

For those too bored to click :)

Mephiston

Corbulo

8 DC - 2bolters, PF/Bolter, PW

Rhino

10 RAS - 2MG, PFist

5 RAS - Flmr, PWpn

Razor - TLLC

5 RAS - MG, PWpn

Razor - TLLC

2 Attack Bikes- 2MM

2 Attack Bikes- 2MM

10 Vanguard- TH, PFist

GK list was:

Cortez

8 Purifiers- 2 Psycannons, 4 Halberds, Hammer

Rhino

Vindicare Assassin

10 Strike Squad - 2 Psycannons, Hammer

Rhino

10 Strike Squad - 2 Psycannons, Hammer

Rhino

3man Henchmen Plebs

Razors - TLHB - Psybolt

3man Henchmen Plebs

Razors - TLHB - Psybolt

3man Henchmen Plebs

Razors - TLHB - Psybolt

3man Henchmen Plebs

Razors - TLHB - Psybolt

Psybolt Rifleman Dread

Psybolt Rifleman Dread

Psybolt Rifleman Dread

IG List was:

Command Squad- MG

Chimera- stubber

Marbo

Junior Command (either a 10man or a veteran squad- not sure) - MG

Chimera - stubber

2x 10 Guys - MG

2x3 Lascannon Teams

1x10 Veterans - 2Flamers

3x Vendettas - HBs

2x Russes

2x Hydras

1x Medusa - Hullbreacher

It's interesting to see chaos doing well again. I guess the meta has been skewed in their favor by the GK and DE dex?

Nah dude...heres the weird thing. I dont know what it is...but in South Africa, Chaos does very well consistently.

Almost always top 5.

Its why my meta game "ideology" (?) is always a bit skewed (eg: will never go into battle without a libby and want lascannons for obs etc etc).

I mean, my first three games all had lash princes ><;

But Sama is right- GK give them a hard, hard time.

The 6th place list by the way, was a Draigo Wing list, that had the IG player on the ropes and was winning RIGHT until the end, when he lost one dude, and failed a breakcheck and fell off an objective - the game ended that turn.

Chaos have always been...just solid.

Just because Space Wolves are now even better value, it isnt by a lot. And Chaos offer different options.

They're a good list still if you run them trimmed of all fat. ie: 5 man Plaguemarines with 2 Plasma in a Rhino. 8 man Zerkers in Rhinos. Couple princes and oblits to flavour.

Apologies in advance for the quality of batreps, theyre likely to be lacking a bit of detail thanks to a heavy weekend of gaming ><; and not enough pics taken to refresh my memory. I'll try do better next time.

Game One - Annihilation, Spearhead

vs Chaos

Lash Prince- Wings

Lash Prince- Wings

7 Terms - Slaanesh Mark, Reaper AC/PW, 4Lightning Claws, 1PF

7 Plague Marines- 2MG, Fist

Rhino - Havoc

7 Plague Marines- 2MG, Fist

Rhino - Havoc

5 Noise Marines - Blastmaster

2 Oblits

2 Oblits

2 Oblits

The irony behind this match is that I was up against a relatively new player whose list I had spent the week helping design!

I knew the idea behind it. Lots of high strength blast weapons and two lash princes. Easy peezy.

I got first turn, and I opted for the section that would provide most cover to me.

I hid almost everything I could, and used my lascannons to try skim oblits where I could, and to take shots on the rhinos to get them slowed before they got too close.

It worked.

Everything else was way back. I needed him to come to me.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/SA%20Nationals%202011/IMG_4269.jpg

Luckily being a new player, he did.

He tried to return fire here and there, marching what he could forward and getting the blits into firing positions.

The return fire immobed a razor and shook another- he was quite unlucky with his rolls.

The bikers also took some flak, and one squad had to go to ground to avoid being popped.

For the most part it was just general movement around the gigantic piece of terrain blocking me. My vanguard didnt come in on turn 2 - even with DoA. It wasnt a huge issue though. Mephy jumped out and engaged the Daemon prince that had wondered too close. He duffed most of his rolls and narrowly beat the prince in combat, but took some hits in return.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/SA%20Nationals%202011/IMG_4270.jpg

The delay in the Vanguard allowed the killer term squad to move further away from his support noise marines in the backline- they were heading forward to help out with mephiston. I killed the DP in his turn and then moved towards the terms and 2 oblits.

The vanguard came down and scattered decently to engage the noise marines at the back. Mephiston flew up to try engage the Oblits, knowing full well i'd face termy counter death in the subsequent turn. As a result, i brought what little firepower I had left to thin them out a little.

Mephy then charged in and again duffed his rolls, and one obliterator survived. Not ideal.

The lash prince moved up and with the support of the plagues tried to pick on my soft targets. The other nurgles headed towards my Vanguard and with the help of the oblits, tried to thin them down. They took most of them down, (to about 3men left) and they (fortunately!) broke- escaping a plaguemarine charge which would have finished them off.

The Princes failed lash on the bikers (mephy hood) meant he was sittin in the open without a target, within charge range of the DC in their rhino.

Mephy then took a charge from the terms. I split attacks and popped the oblit and thinned out the terms a bit for the rest of my units to mop up.

In my next turn, the DC dived out, and engaged the Prince, while the bikers I had left engaged the terms/oblits and the jumpers moved up to engage the plague marines.

The vanguard regrouped, and charged the oblits.

This was pretty much the last few moments of the game, as the rest was clean up. It ended in 5th turn just before time (we didnt need to roll). He had a plague marine squad left, a rhino and maybe a term or two.

I had lost, the Vanguard, a biker squad, a vehicle and Mephy.

Solid Victory for the BA.

General shots from the hall ->

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/SA%20Nationals%202011/IMG_4265.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/SA%20Nationals%202011/IMG_4267.jpg

and of a pretty damned rad table ->

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/SA%20Nationals%202011/IMG_4268.jpg

Game 2 - Seize Ground- 4 Objectives, Pitched Battle.

Opponents List:

Lash Prince -Wings

Tzeentch Prince- Wings (warp time/flame)

6/7 Plagues -2mg, fist

Rhino

8 TKsons- Champy Guy- Bolt

Rhino

5 Noise Marines- 2 sonic Blasters, 1 Blastmaster

5/6 Plagues - 2mg, fist

3 Oblits

2 Oblits

1 Oblit

I lost roll off and was made to go first.

I deployed mephiston near mid table in cover and then whatever else I could behind cover. Vanguard went into reserve as well as the jumpers.

My opponent was super smart, and held everything in reserve, except for his thousand sons rhino which he kept in the top left of the board, safely behind cover.

Now, straight off the bat, i was in a bit of a predicament.

My opponent would be striking in the blits, and then dictating where the battle would take place.

Just a note to the newer players out there, as a general tactic, if you can dictate where the enemy fights and with what, you'll have your work cut out for you.

I had to risk splitting up quite considerably, or staying together midfield to be shot up.

I took some cheeky shots where I could in my first turn, but for the most part it was just getting certain units into position.

My opponent (luckily?) forgot about the 3++ save on the boosting bikers, and moved his tzeentch rhino up and unloaded his men. I was quite happy, knowing VV would havea target - and a Troop one at that.

The bikers survived (lost one and took a wound though).

Then came my second turn.

VVs failed to come in- even with the reroll ><;

My jumpers failed too- on the first roll, so I elected not to reroll.

I was a bit bummed about my failure to come in, as it left me with little option. I just had to reposition what I could. I figured, id try take out the transport ASAP - biker missed.

Then came something unexpected and VERY fortunate for my opponent. He was initially rattled and thought it was a bad thing, but I knew i would now be in for a VERY VERY tough time.

He rolled for 8 units to come on.

Of all the units, only the 5man Noise marines came on ><;

Now whatever I committed to the fray would be intercepted. Not cool.

His Tksons moved into the safety of the rhino again, and darted off 6"- ready to shoot my biker dead.

My VVs landed in the only opportune place they could, right in front of the Noise marines.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/SA%20Nationals%202011/IMG_4271.jpg

You can see em in the top right corner.

I was a LOT more spread out than Id like to have been. Its not a way i usully play, but the issue was, I needed mephy up, and i needed to be able to get to either the left or the right flank - not knowing where the bulk of the troops would come.

Mephy I hid behind a Razor, and in a crevasse, hoping for cover from most angles, except behind- where I felt if he deployed his blits too close, they would risk mishapping.

Even so, I took out my razor troops to form a bubble wrap around mephy.

My opponent made a sound, (taunting me :P He's an old gaming adversary of mine) and it made me think that if I deployed them out, he would target them first, and I'd lose one of 3/4 scoring units. I decided against it.

The VVs charged in -and with 32 regular attacks, and 6 PF attacks, I managed to kill ONE bloody Noise Marine. ONE !!

><;

Was really unhappy about that. Shoulda been about 4/5. This was a huge game changer.

In his turn, everything except his lash prince and a squad of plagues comes on.

He strikes behind mephy- risking the mishap and DT rolls, and hits bamn on target.

He unloads with deadly fury with his 3 blit squad, getting 6 plasma hits and 6 plasma wounds :huh: (i was hoping for the statistical 4). Meph was gone. This would now be an uphill battle.

He moved nearly everything he had (blits aside) to the top right corner in an effort to deal with the DC, the Vanguard and the corbs razor squad (as well as the bikers).

I had split my RAS squad up, hoping to try take as many objectives as possible, but I started getting shot up by the blits.

In the subsequent turns, the combat with the VAS got ugly, I knew that they would only last 1 more turn and I had to throw in my biker squad to a make sure the combat would delay another round.

How I did this was to charge only the slaanesh boys, with no power weapons/fists - meaning only they could strike the bikers and vice versa. Since it was a multi combat involving 2 princes, a plague squad and the noise squad, I would lose the last 2 VAS, but hopefully hold with the bikes. I did. This would give me a chance to get my DC closer.

I tried to contest as many points as I possibly could. I moved my RAS out where their razor had been shot up by blits and moved it towards the top left objective. I had to abandon the objective they were near, since the blits would not be moved and id be fighting a losing battle. I sent them towards the TKsons objective, but would need a good run roll to get into cover and save myself.

The DC in the meanwhile had had their rhino blown up by the plagues in the top right, and had been lashed further away from the objective.

In a last ditch effort I boosted Corbs and his razor onto the top objective where I had committed the main fighting force of my army to keep them on the objective.

I got a good run roll (4+) putting me into cover on the right.

In the opponents 5th turn he lashed my one remaining RAS squad off the objective out of cover and into view of the oblits- and they got shot to hell. The DC also got shot up, as did Corbs' rhino and squad- but, Corbs and 3 guys remained.

The TKsons shot up the 5man RAS in cover, who went to ground, and then took a charge.

They did survive thought, fighting back valiantly.

I had lost almost all my army - i had 3 RAS on the one side, and Corbs and 2 RAS on the other.

We rolled and it was game end.

I had only killed 1 Oblit and a Noise Marine squad.

A thorough ass kicking...

:P

BUT WAIT !!!!!

Corbs was parked smack bamn on the objective, and the remaining 3 RAS were also on the objective. The other two were uncontested!

A DRAW!!

Whew! One more turn, and I coulda been tabled. But the gambit to hold him up in his side paid off- luckily.

Game 3 - Dawn of War - Capture Control.

Chaos - AGAIN.

Lash Prince - Wings (really?? ^_^ )

Nurgle Prince - Warp Time, Wings

8 Nurgle Guys - Plas, MG, Fist, plasma Pistol

Rhino

8 Nurgle Guys - Plas, MG, Fist, plasma pistol

Rhino

8 Nurgs - 2MG, PW

5 Nurgs - 2 MG (fist?)

2 Blits

2 Blits

2 Blits

I was playing against Garth, the U19 champ that had pipped Ashley (a tourney nemesis) out of his spot in a mini-tourney the day before.

He's a solid player, but occasionally makes a tactical blunder here or there, which I can capitalise on.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/SA%20Nationals%202011/IMG_4272.jpg

Garth had chosen to go first, and as the aggressive nature of his army, chose to put his objective forward. It wasn't until I put my objective a little further back in my area, that he realised and reassessed the army I was playing - ie: also a very aggressive one.

Within 2 turns, we were both surrounding the objectives. I was using as much of the terrain as humanly possible to cover shots from the oblits, and I aggressively moved mephy up to try and deal with Lash.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/SA%20Nationals%202011/IMG_4273.jpg

I needed to take the fight to him with everything I had, taking out the Lash Prince asap. and then just working on contesting his objective, while we fought it out and while the 1 RAS squad stayed back to claim.

I took shots on princes where possible, and mephy was then lashed into range of the Double Daemon combo.

I focussed everything onto the lash prince. And took him down to 1 wound, before Mephy was killed.

In my next turn, I used the biker shooting, to finish off the Lash and then go to work on the Nurgle prince.

By this stage, I had moved my razor and rhino into position, and my assault troops had made a charge to the foot based Nurgles.

The Van vets came on and then charged the oblits they could. Again- duffing most of their rolls, and only killing one if memory serves.

What proceeded was the most insane bout of combat.

It started off with this ->

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/SA%20Nationals%202011/IMG_4274.jpg

and ended off with the Corbs getting out of the RAS, and joining the DC, who joined the Vanguard who were joining the Assault marines, who were being ganked by

every Plague Marine there was.

4 Squads of plagues, and 3 squads of BA, all with FNP. it was pretty epic.

On the right hand side of the board however, the nurgle prince was slowly making his way through what little resistance I was putting up, with almost everything committed to the fight. I had a RAS squad near their wrecked razor, holding an objective- worrying about impending nurgly death, and then another RAS squad in a razor with no turret.

The bikers were systematically taken out, inbetween trying to take wounds off the prince.

In the 5th turn, it came down to the razor having to move up 12", disembark and take a melta shot on the nurgle prince. If he survived, he could then fly over to the other squad and start working on them, probably leaving me with another draw.

Luckily the melta hit, wounded and he failed his 5+ !!

Then even luckier, the game went on for another 2 turns!!

Me having a host of special weapons in that combat meant that I was able to win the overall combat.

I focused as many attacks on to each of the smallest units with a fist, first. Once the fist was gone, i focused on the next unit. This allowed me to have more special weapons in the combat, allowing me to eventually wipe out all his plagues.

I even got to leave combat in the bottom of the 7th, and wreck the contesting rhinos and grab the second objective!

Solid victory for the BA !

very nice batreps and grats on second place mort! :yes:

shame its not first, but like you said cant have em all right? ;)

Battled IN the finals Dem, but didnt get second place. Cause I lost, it knocked me down and allowed the Submariners to notch ahead.

I wound up 4th overall :D But thanks.

3 More BatReps to come soon !!

GAME 4 - Seize Gruond 5 Objectives - Spearhead

Opponent - Wolves

Wolf Lord -Thundercav, shield, frostblade, warrior born

Wolf Lord -Thundercav, shield, hammer

4 Thunderwolf Cav - shields, 1 hammer, 1 MB

4x5 Hunters- MG + WG fist

Rhinos

2x5 Fangs - 4MLs

Vindicator

Sydney had learned from the last time I had played him that Mephy was a beast. Mephs had been responsible for thinning out his TWC before. This time he came with shields though, so the fight would not be easy

Sydney chose a quarter that he felt he could place his Long Fangs in safety and with a bit of elevation, the bad thing (for him) was that it allowed a nice bit of cover for me to hide my troops in, and it was in an area that wasn't objective rich. This meant I could wait for him to come to me, and then work on the counter.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/SA%20Nationals%202011/IMG_4275.jpg

That was his set up.

I deployed everything except my jumpers (all striking in) and all behind cover from the fangs.

In the first turn, he rushed forward with everything.

And popped smoke where necessary.

At this point, I considered rushing the DC and Mephy headlong.

I figured that id be slowed up, and then countered by all the fists and the wolves, so decided to play it slow for a while.

I then proceeded to have the luckiest shooting phase ever ><; felt really bad.

Two melta bikes darted out to a flank to take shots on an unsmoked rhino, that was being covered on one side by another rhino.

Hit - penned - explosion!

Other bikers targetted the smoked rhino in front

Hit - penned - explosion!

Lascannons targetted the 3rd available rhino - in cover.

Hit - penned - wrecked!

O_o

VERY lucky ><;

I was still a way away from the main charge, but he was definitely now in a different position and had to play as such.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/Brindleysa/SA%20Nationals%202011/IMG_4276.jpg

Mephy was also waiting with the DC for the counter.

His turn saw the wolves come forward as far as possible - but stumble a bit on the terrain.

He targetted mephy where possible and tried to get the DC out of the rhino - luckily their ride held up.

They then got countered by the wolves and had their ride blown up.

In my second turn, the vanguard and the jumpers came in. I squadded the jumpers, and kept the VG as one big unit. They deployed on the far right, about to tackle the Hunter squad, while mephy would move up to engage either another hunter squad, or help out with the thundercav.

DC readied themselves to charge the thundercav.

I then went about setting up a blocked-charge.

This is a great tactical move for dealing with deathstar units. it works better if you have jumpers and either bikers or speeders to help.

What you do is you tank shock through a unit, splitting them in two. You then use your other mobile units to block off their pile in move area, meaning that at max 2, maaaaybe 3 if you're lucky wolves will be able to strike you, while all your forces charge one wolf and allow the wounds to follow through to the squad.

I positioned my DC where I could, moved corbs and the ras squad out, ready to engage, moved one biker squad...and then tank shocked forward.

He failed his LD10 check. :)

+- 700points of furry nasty just broke. I didnt even need to use the tactic. I boosted my other bikers right up close and personal, so theyd keep falling back, and used mephies run to get back to the Troops.

Mephy wiped one out, the vanguard wiped the other out. Corbs and squad was able to charge a 3rd on a lucky terrain roll, and wiped them out too.

In his 3rd turn he kept falling back. he took some missile shots at corbs and the vanguard and tried to vindy my DC dead, but cover saves prevailed.

In my third turn, I killed his last Troop squad with mephy, and took the vindy demolisher out, while moving my bikers within 6" of the wolves again.

With only 2 Fang squads left, and a damaged vindy- we called the game at the bottom of 3rd.

REALLY unlucky and unfun game for my opponent :) But, thats how the dice work sometimes (came back to haunt me in game 6).

Archived