Instant Mold review and tutorial

mahon

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working with this stuff on and off and for a few weeks and I have not had alot of success. It might work better for one sided stuff but the bits I have tried have not come out looking very well. I am using GW Green Stuff with the Instamold. None of the axe heads or guns I have tried have come out looking usable or to a good standard.

If anyone has any tips or better success I could use the help.

• 3 weeks later...

It (Oyamaru) captured near full detail of a daemonprince's pauldron and of the leg armor of the necrosphinx.

They were only a bit shoddy because they were my first attempts, and I actually was trying to NOT capture all the details.

Here you are, pics.

Only one of note is the chest piece, as it's the only unaltered cast, and was my first attempt with the tools too.

Not to shabby, I'd say.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4305/doops.png

So the mold doesnt work too well for the finer details of the shoulder guards? My hope was to be to use the instant mold to make copies of my diy chapter's emblem to save me having to hand paint them time and time again. Do you reckon the product will be useful for that?

So the mold doesnt work too well for the finer details of the shoulder guards? My hope was to be to use the instant mold to make copies of my diy chapter's emblem to save me having to hand paint them time and time again. Do you reckon the product will be useful for that?

Please read my post again.

I clearly stated that the chestpiece was the only unaltered cast.

• 4 weeks later...
to throw my two cents into the mix. I've used this to recreate some GK weapons as I want to use halberds in my non GK army. So after making some fracked up molds and misaligned re do's I've started to be able to create full on replicas of weapons. It takes some work and a little/lot of fore thought on how to create the mold but once done it seems to work well. Also on skinnier stuff be ready to use armatures or tougher hardening agents than just Green Stuff.

• 2 months later...

For all the UK users out there, cheapest I've found online is Oyumaru at Fred Aldous, only £4.90 for 6 sticks compared to gifts for geeks etc where it seems to go as instamold for around £12 for 6 stick. Only thing Fred Aldous didn't make clear was that £4.90 didn't include VAT, but still, I bought 2 sets, one clear and one blue, and it still only came to £12.50. Thats twice as much product for nearly the same price as instamold.

Found this Oyumaru shop and it was £6.70 which at first glance from the pic was a good deal, as it looks like you get 10 sticks....nope, just 6. Cheeky misleading so and so's.

Also found this creative glass oyumaru. It's cheap but you get the rainbow of colours, which may be a bother to you!

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the Threadomancy, but has anyone considered using Liquid GS with this stuff? Would it work? I only ask as I thought it might be a viable alternative for those of us who have little experience with conventional GS....

I'm asking as I'd like to make shoulder guards with my DIY Chapters' symbol on it and thought it might be easier than using regular GS.

Apologies for the Threadomancy, but has anyone considered using Liquid GS with this stuff? Would it work? I only ask as I thought it might be a viable alternative for those of us who have little experience with conventional GS....

I'm asking as I'd like to make shoulder guards with my DIY Chapters' symbol on it and thought it might be easier than using regular GS.

It is highly unlikely that you could cast anything with Liquid Greenstuff. It's not even Greenstuff, per se. It's a gap filler with green tint added to it. Even if you did fill a mould with it (which would cost you a fortune), the resulting item would shrink as the liquid dries, and would be pretty brittle. You'd likely break it removing it from the mould.

It is highly unlikely that you could cast anything with Liquid Greenstuff. It's not even Greenstuff, per se. It's a gap filler with green tint added to it. Even if you did fill a mould with it (which would cost you a fortune), the resulting item would shrink as the liquid dries, and would be pretty brittle. You'd likely break it removing it from the mould.

Never thought about shrinkage....

Oh well, it was about time I had a go with GS anyway. I've only ever used Milliput in ages past (and long time Modellers know what that stuff is like :D )

Archived