TWC from Mournfangs

Wulfebane

Having seen them in a game of WFB I think they might be a little big to easily get a space marine to straddle, other than that, go for it.

They come on a 50mm x 100mm base, so I wouldn't think they'd be too big to fit on a 60mm round. It might be the saddles (separate piece from the beast itself) that adds to the width and height? Not to mention the massively disproportionate ogre on top.

Even if it seems too big at first, so long as it fits on a 60mm round base, I think it'll be fine. One of the biggest complaints people have with the TWC is its believability in such a beast carrying a 700+ lb marine, so I think the additional girth will help.

I've just started doing this, I really like the Mournfang models, I know they don't look what most people would consider to be quite right, but that's what appeals to me.

Anywhere, here's a couple of WIP photos:

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/420/twcnew1.jpg

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9980/twcnew2.jpg

Still a lot of work to do, but wanted to get the rider built before I carried on. I've used the legs from a Chaos Marauder cavalry.

I've just started doing this, I really like the Mournfang models, I know they don't look what most people would consider to be quite right, but that's what appeals to me.

Anywhere, here's a couple of WIP photos:

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/420/twcnew1.jpg

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9980/twcnew2.jpg

Still a lot of work to do, but wanted to get the rider built before I carried on. I've used the legs from a Chaos Marauder cavalry.

I think they would look better on some sort of saddle.

This looks like a very promising conversion for a cheaper thunderwolf! i was just wondering could you fit a different head on the body? i saw a mounrfang fitted with a rhinox head and it fit perfectly/looked really cool. Could you fit any kind of wolf head from a wolf model maybe dire wolves or something?

I guess the only problem with converting anything into a thunder wolf is that the head seldom looks wolfy. wolves have long snouts and the mournfang doesn't.

Besides that i think it looks awesome and i think the scale is right. If i remember my fluff correctly it says somewhere thunder wolves are as tall as a battle tank at the shoulder so there pretty huge.

Having seen them in a game of WFB I think they might be a little big to easily get a space marine to straddle, other than that, go for it.

They come on a 50mm x 100mm base, so I wouldn't think they'd be too big to fit on a 60mm round. It might be the saddles (separate piece from the beast itself) that adds to the width and height? Not to mention the massively disproportionate ogre on top.

Even if it seems too big at first, so long as it fits on a 60mm round base, I think it'll be fine. One of the biggest complaints people have with the TWC is its believability in such a beast carrying a 700+ lb marine, so I think the additional girth will help.

I would show them the sign that says Sci-Fi and ask where reality plays any sort of role in it

I would show them the sign that says Sci-Fi and ask where reality plays any sort of role in it

Sci-fi is supposed to be at least a little believable, hence the "science" part of the "fiction."

It's by no means truth, and we're expected to stretch our imaginations a tad, but extending our belief in the plausibility of the fiction is the main draw of Sci-fi over high fantasy and the like. Most decent sci fi writing has at least a loose basis in reality.

I see the 40k universe as plausible, as I have no idea what will happen in the next 40000 some odd years.

On topic: I like the Mournfang conversion work Dregan. There seems to be some contention on how wolf-like the TW is anyway, and I don't think the Mournfang looks any worse than the giant squirrel GW currently offers. I'm still considering Mythicast myself... anyone compared them to Mr Dandy? Would I just be better off with the Mournfangs? I might try and build up a saddle behind that hump to make it a bit less pronounced.

Nothing I order gets here in a timely fashion though, if it happens in the future I'll be sure to take some pics.

Sci-fi is supposed to be at least a little believable, hence the "science" part of the "fiction."

40k isn't really Sci-Fi, but instead science fantasy. True science fiction places some importance on science/reality. 40k is much more of a fantasy world set in the future. Monsters, Daemons, "magic".

Talk to the right people and they'll tell you monsters and daemons exist in our reality. :(

Fair point made though. I think in any well written setting, you expect to find at least some believability in the universe, or there is no connection between reader and characters. In many cases though, WH in general doesn't connect through the setting so much as the attitude of the grimdark characters.

Maybe it's a matter of "to each his own," and while some like the insanity of orks and care less about believing in the setting than enjoying the game, others like the thought that in 40000 years humans are still around and not wiped out yet.

Though there is magic and other fantasy nonsense, they are (loosely) explained away by the science of the universe. Other dimensions, extra dimensional entities, and using bred psykers to travel that space explains away the fantastic and keeps it grounded on a reality, albeit one at the furthest end if a stretched imagination.

But I'm sure there's a better topic for this discussion, sorry mods.

:edit: odd double post.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm almost done with a conversion for Leman's Freki and Geri and i used mournfangs and chaos warhounds as the heads. The proportion is a bit off but ill let you guys decide how they look when i finish.

Just a note they are thunderwolves but they don't have riders because there Lemans personal wolf bretheren.

Nice work Wulfebane, with the hump reduced a bit it looks much less bulky. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the legs.

Legs are still in the mail -__-

In the meantime, I finished sculpting the head, so I quickly tossed some paint on it so there'd be some definition for the camera to register. Went with a Batman's Two-face vibe for the left side of the face. Here ya go!

med_gallery_59676_5870_1217971.jpg

med_gallery_59676_5870_401019.jpg

med_gallery_59676_5870_1204651.jpg

C&C welcome.

Nice work Wulfebane, with the hump reduced a bit it looks much less bulky. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the legs.

Legs are still in the mail -__-

In the meantime, I finished sculpting the head, so I quickly tossed some paint on it so there'd be some definition for the camera to register. Went with a Batman's Two-face vibe for the left side of the face. Here ya go!

med_gallery_59676_5870_1217971.jpg

med_gallery_59676_5870_401019.jpg

med_gallery_59676_5870_1204651.jpg

C&C welcome.

impressive painting as always, however imho the head currently looks more rat-ogre like than wolf-like.

Archived