The Primarchs - Artwork

Nikt208

Ok, I have just come back from Games Day, and was speaking to Neil Roberts about the upcoming artwork for Fear to Tread, and saw the new Primarchs cover.

First off the Primarchs cover is needless to say, awesome. I think its a snap from Ullanor, with the amassed Primarchs standing triumphantly together looking over their amassed forces. The Primarchs featured are Sanguinius, Mortarion, Magnus, Jagathai, Lorgar, Ferrus, Rogal Dorn, Horus and Fulgrim. I'm sure the full diorama will be available to see soon, but to do it justice you have to see a blown up print of it. Really makes up for the recent covers, very epic!! Fear to Tread cover is going to be (I believe) Sanguinius and Ka'Bandha duelling in the air, or something like that.

EDIT: Moving pics to the first post so folks don't have to dig so far to see them. Pics courtesy of ShroudFilm over at The Great Crusade site: http://z15.invisionfree.com/The_Great_Crusade/index.php?showtopic=4881

gallery_2_3711_35894.jpg

gallery_2_3711_13116.jpg

gallery_2_3711_15946.jpg

gallery_2_3711_50803.jpg

gallery_2_3711_17301.jpg

Ok, I have just come back from Games Day, and was speaking to Neil Roberts about the upcoming artwork for Fear to Tread, and saw the new Primarchs cover.

Fear to Tread cover is going to be (I believe) Sanguinius and Ka'Bandha duelling in the air, or something like that.

:Troops: how did i miss that?! :Troops:

I think that is by far one of the best interpretations of the Primarchs to date.

I like the way each is represented. Sanguinius is at the back, out of the spotlight. True to his character. He's like kind of smiling because he is proud of the accomplishments of the Imperium. Mortarion is silently watching. Magnus is looking at the viewer, breaking the fourth wall, like he knows your there. Angron is hunched over and snarling in a laugh, the most motion of all the figures because he cant stand still. Khan is standing up straight, chin forward, accepting the tribute of the Legions. Lorgar is sour looking, probobaly because he doesnt like martial displays, or thinks that this kind of reverence should only be for the Emperor. Dorn looks proud of the martial display. And he has an eagle on his back. Too cool. I also like how he is at Horus' right hand, indicative of their close friendship during the Crusade, but Horus has his back to him, giving the picture a nice foreshadowing.

If you think about it, this was the last time all of these Primarchs were together in one place. The next time they all meet its at Terra during the siege. So in this picture you have them as brothers, and hopefully when the siege comes around you see them all meet as enemies.

Very cool. Very symbolic.

It's a brilliant piece of artwork. To be honest, I think about half of the Primarchs are a little 'meh', Mangus, Angron, Lorgar and Dorn, but the rest are really good.

Sanguinius and Fulgrim really capture the essence of their character. Horus is different to how I've personally imagined him, but is a very good description of him.

I severely hope this isn't turned into a limited edition novel.

I like.

Dorn, whom I never really liked, just stepped up my personal ladder of favourite primarchs quite a few steps just by his looks in this picture. His pose, his face, he looks like a true warrior king.

Some poses are a little awkward though. Sanguinius looks like he's doing a Mr. Burns impersonation (I can hear him say "Excellent!"), Magnus is holding an orb of warp energy for whatever reason and is Angron yelling at the kids to get of his lawn?

The Khan looks like a stereotyped Space Mongol 'noble savage' cliche, but that's probably what he's meant to be, so I'm okay with that.

Mortarion? Took me a few glances to even spot him there. Creepy bugger.

Horus looks...odd...

Fulgrim looks like he should be cackling maniacally.

Dorn looks cool, but I think his nose might be AP1.

Lorgar could really just be any random Space Marine....

Khan is awesome.

Angron looks insane.

Magnus is dead on...aside from being weirdly small....

I didn't notice Mortarion for a while. Looks good.

Sanguinius looks good. Kinda like he got a haircut. His armor seems a bit too red, since it's supposed to be, you know, gold....

Alpharius, Night Haunter and Corax are doing a really good job of being stealthy.

Horus looks like a proud father or older brother type person which is alot like what he was written as.

Fulgrim looks really proud in himself and that he should have a mirror in his hand and looking in it.

Dorn looks awesome but alittle stuck up.

Lorgar is so plain, really the only thing that makes him looks anything like Lorgar is the spectre and the scrolls.

Khan looks like the Mongrol Chiefian that he is.

I thought that Angron looked tiny compared to them all. He looks like the smallest one. And he looks alittle daemony.

Magnus is really what I saw him as but he is smaller than Mortarion which isn't in fluff.

Mortarion is almost not there, I only noticed him before of the puff of posion gas coming out.

Sanguinius is really cool looking but just like EC said his armour is more red than it should be.

Alpharius, Night Haunter and Corax are doing a really good job of being stealthy.

Who do you think is taking this picture? :huh:

Vulkan. Duh.

Guilliman directed the picture.

Ferrus built the camera.

Perturabo didn't want anything to do with a picture that had Dorn in it.

Russ was too hungover to show up.

No one invited Jonson.

ONLY complaint about the picture is that Sanguinius' hair is blond. ITS FREAKING BLACK!!!!

No. No it's not. Not even a little. Ever. Sanguinius is always ALWAYS blue eyed with long blond hair. Anything saying otherwise is wrong. Wrong and fail. And lose.

ONLY complaint about the picture is that Sanguinius' hair is blond. ITS FREAKING BLACK!!!!

Only Dan Abnett described him as black haired which is probably retconned. All the artworks show him as blond.

Graham McNeill also did. In A Thousand Sons, Sanguinius is described as having "hair of deepest black".

€dit/ Having said that, I like him blonde more.

Archived