[Commission] Log for all my commissioned work

tiny sam

ok I've started some table top quality commission. i'm not the best painter, but the clients have already saw my work and I did it at a pretty cheap price.

my first job was a Kayvaan Shrike

gallery_16134_6546_1341180.png

the pic is a little over exposed but it's un-hopefuly the best I can do with my current equipment. The black/white contrast is really hard to photograph....

I need honest critics and comments.

thanks

It's a nice piece. The jetpack is particularly good, how did you do those lovely wings?

As for criticism, there are several areas where the 'parts' of the paint job could do with separating more so they don't blend into each other. For example, the Lightning Claws White, Blue, Red and Metal all need more definition so you can see them as individual, separate, parts of the claw.

The red wires could do with being a more different (Yes, bad grammar, I know, but it's the only way I can describe it) red, perhaps slightly darker or lighter, so they look like red wires on their own rather than red wires as a part of the claws.

That possibly didn't make much sense. I apologize.

Also, the eyes could do with being filled out more. I think if that was done it'd be far better. :D

EDIT: Sorry, a quote from another topic came in there by mistake.

It's a nice piece. The jetpack is particularly good, how did you do those lovely wings?

astronomican grey

skull white

Azuramen blue

skull white on the edge

you paint need to be very thined if you don't want to have a mono-feather wing

As for criticism, there are several areas where the 'parts' of the paint job could do with separating more so they don't blend into each other. For example, the Lightning Claws White, Blue, Red and Metal all need more definition so you can see them as individual, separate, parts of the claw.

The red wires could do with being a more different (Yes, bad grammar, I know, but it's the only way I can describe it) red, perhaps slightly darker or lighter, so they look like red wires on their own rather than red wires as a part of the claws.

it's weird I always saw those wires like the same long one that just clip in the claws (like the power suply cable in a PC)

Also, the eyes could do with being filled out more. I think if that was done it'd be far better. ^_^

not sure I understand what you mean..

Your white is a bit on the thick side you might want to do several thin coats of diluted white.

is you comment still true with a better picture? (the PVA has dry by now ;) )

gallery_16134_6546_216835.jpg

really awesome - I love the raven guard. Keep the pictures comming.

Being a tard on the painting side (which you do a fair bit better than me ;)) I'd like to point you to the base.

Awesome mini = very subpar basework.

Just get the sand in there, drybrush it like with the stones he is already standing on and add some small areas of grass one or two places on the base. To me that just looks 100 times better than making the emperor's finest angels of DEATH appear like they're fighting on a football field :)

To me it'd be a little effort which would add a lot to the mini. All up to you and your client, ofcourse. As long as you keep up your work and feed me pictures, I'm happy :)

Also, the eyes could do with being filled out more. I think if that was done it'd be far better. :HQ:

not sure I understand what you mean..

Well, the eyes, currently, don't look very filled out. Like you've washed them with Ball Red and then added a small dot of blood red. Since the eyes are a focus point for the models, this dulls them down and makes you look for them, when they should 'jump out' as such.

As the first example I came to, look at this. The moment you look at the miniature you're drawn to the eyes. With some highlighting, the eyes can really 'pop' and add to the model.

I see what you mean

Unhopefully I gave the mini to the client this morning, he was realy happy by the way.

Validar : I cut the grass befor giving it ;)

thanks for your feedback, it's really appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

here is a Librarian Grey Knight for another client! It was a Pain to do due to the more than excessive blings on him. it's a Finecast and a not so fine one... did my best to fixe the worst but it's still got some bubbles (mostly on wierd spot).

gallery_16134_6546_398417.jpg

I already fix the cable clip and red dot issues on the Force Weapon's arm

Comments ? Critics?

overall a great looking dude!

I think you forgot some gold on his crux?

I don't think the green/blue thingie on the metal (the stand holding the book) worked out all that well - it seems a bit too much.

The eyes turned out very well imo and I personally like the staff aswell, bright blue-white looks very force-weapon ish in my world.

A death comany dread.. it was funier to do than the grey knights :D

gallery_16134_6546_627980.jpg

I tried the hairspray weathering technique on the base and it turn out pretty well I think.

Comments and Critics are welcomed!

basicly you paint a color - all the rock in this case

then seal with a mat varnish ('ard coat)

then give 2 layer of hairspray.

then paint the "paint" - the yellow lines in this case

with a swab gently apply water on the paint let it "attack" the hairspray. rub a little to remove chops of paint.

it's also responsible for the crackling in the yellow

when it's to your liking seal it with mat varnish.

after testing It I would go in the same way than DV8 and recommend it only with the use of an air brush though. maybe it's just me but the excess of water required to thin down the paint makes it really hard to work on a hairsprayed surface.

this evening I'll post a different view that clearly show the base.

Archived