Librarian from GK bits?

I want to build a PA librarian from Grey Knight bits. I already have a slightly converted Sevrin Loth, and want something that looks librarian-like, yet not identical.

How well do the new PAGK work for this purpose? Mind you, the finished product will NOT be a GK librarian, just a regular librarian. I figure the new GK kits have lots of books on them, so that should fit the bill; and aegis armor has a built-in psychic hood.

If you've tried it, or have a nice picture of a finished product, I'd love to see it and hear your advice.

Your main problem with the kit will be to make him look less like a Grey Knight.

So I recommend only getting the torso for the psychic hood, a staff and one shoulderpad with a book and build the rest with other Marine bits. That way you don't end up with too much GreyKnight-related bling.

I'm going to piggyback on this question and ask if anyone has built a TDA Librarian using the GK torso parts. My intent is to buy a GK torso for the backplate, and put a standard Marine TDA torso front on it. Standard TDA helmet as well.

However, having never had the GK bits in my hand,s I can't tell if they'll actually fit together. Has anyone done this?

I'm going to piggyback on this question and ask if anyone has built a TDA Librarian using the GK torso parts. My intent is to buy a GK torso for the backplate, and put a standard Marine TDA torso front on it. Standard TDA helmet as well.

However, having never had the GK bits in my hand,s I can't tell if they'll actually fit together. Has anyone done this?

I have those parts on hand and you'll run into two issues:

First, you'll have to remove the upper part of the Terminator torso front and remodel it so it fits in line with the GK terminator backside. Altering the GK terminator torso front would be easier and might not even be necessary, as they all look great and the details look Librarian-like enough (books, small shrines, etc).

Second, the standard TDA helmets are designed to come out of the hole in the torso. The TDA GK (caps attack) helmets go on the torso similar to power-armored models.

If you want a TDA Librarian, either go with the metal one (IMHO the best generic Space Marine mini out there at the moment), or, if you need to go plastic, either simply use normal TDA parts or also just the GK terminator torso plus a helmetless head (from the new GK plastic sets or others)

Thanks for the info, all.

I started on a TDA Librarian from basic plastics (and the metal TDA arm) here:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z43/goalie20/Warhammer%2040K/tdalibwip.jpg

I'm just not feeling it, though. Something about that skull on the top is killing the model. The off-balance composition of the model is also throwing me.

Maybe that big, huge book on the shoulderpad is too much?

I like the model it came from (the official TDA Librarian, but really hate the fact that he's helmetless.

I think I might start over.

Well, the helmet and storm shield ruin the idea, IMO. He would look much much better with a bare head of appropriate expression (currently I am getting a feel that a common terminator helm is staring at me). It would also be an improvement if You could model a force staff to replace that shield (maybe held horizontally) and get some menacing gesture for the right arm...

Looks nice, but I agree with you, its alittle off......I second the ideas of losing the shield and swapping to a bare head, probs a GK obe. I would also add a tabard, as I'm yet to see a Librarian without one....ever.

EDIT: maybe instead of the shield, try the over-used outstretched arm, open hand, there's one in the TGK box. I know I said over used, but it's till awesome everytime I see it, and I believe it'll match the pose you already have :END EDIT

Cheers,

Jono

The PAGK bits are fully compatible with any of the other SM bits. I built a BA Librarian using PAGK and Sang guard bits - I've included a couple of pics below.

gallery_36289_4629_1426535.jpg

gallery_36289_4629_2126562.jpg

gallery_36289_4629_771433.jpg

hope that helps.

I have just started on one myself last week. I am using the GK torso and one arm (nemesis weapon) with the rest being Space Marine TDA bitz. It is turning out pretty good so far.

I made one when the GKSS box came out that I'm pretty happy with overall:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vzl9OGaCfpM/TbRFEAcCvzI/AAAAAAAAAOU/QTpO7mieHm4/s1600/2011-04-24%20002%202011-04-24%20004.JPG

Once painted blue it removes a lot of the visual link to actual Grey Knights so don't worry about using more than the back torso. Using a different head also works well as that's usually a models main focus point. After this picture was taken I added a power cable running up either side of his chest plate so he's a little more Librarian-y.

Great conversion RebG! If that's the standard of your Marine conversions, I'd really like to see more pictures of your army/armies.

EDIT: Nevermind, went and checked out your blog ^^

I agree that painting will help, but I think a different torso front would have helped even more. Still, the staff and non-GK head make it hard to mistake him for anything but a Librarian.

Thanks all for the kind words :yes:

One question: where did you get his backpack-topper book and the book that is chained to his belt?

Both the parts in question are from the GK Terminator box set. There's about 5 book backpack toppers and two of the books I've attached to the belt, one has a grenade moulded to it but nothing two mins and a modelling knife won't sort out.

He's 90% painted now, if I pull my finger out this week (I'm a grade-A procrastinator) I'll stick a pic of him up, no promises though! Regarding the torso, the wording can be filled in with some careful greenstuff or watered down miliput which will further distance that part from the GK range (I think it's nice having the book on the chest).

I've ended up following RebG's overall recipe, but I gave my guy a halberd instead of the staff and a Crusader helmet I had left over from Sevrin Loth's honor guard.

He looks very grey-knightish, but I hope that paint, a different helmet and the absence of the stormbolter will distance him enough from the brotherhood of Titan.

OK, here's a few quick shots. He's still awaiting the backpack topper arrival (bought it the other day off ebay). And I cleaned out the GS from the backpack vents... hehe...

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ij179z.jpghttp://i53.tinypic.com/2czd3pl.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/243ksqp.jpghttp://i56.tinypic.com/2wclhl5.jpg

OK, here's a few quick shots. He's still awaiting the backpack topper arrival (bought it the other day off ebay). And I cleaned out the GS from the backpack vents... hehe...

/pictures/

Well, he looks a lot like a Grey Knight. If you are fine with that, that's okay. But there are a few things you could change if you want to.

The halberd is not a common Librarian weapon, judging by the models. You have swords, axes and staves, but I've never seen a halberd before. It's also a signature weapon of the GK (and Custodes, of course). Isn't there a pretty cool staff in the GK set? I'd use that.

The book with a sword through on his chestplate and right shoulderguard is also a common GK symbol. If you are careful enough, you could use your hobby knife/files/clippers to remove the swords so you're only left with books only.

I'd also rethink the left shoulderpad with the inset writing. A normal shoulderpad will probably fit him better.

And of course, the blue paintjob will help a lot in the end.

/pictures/

Well, he looks a lot like a Grey Knight. If you are fine with that, that's okay. But there are a few things you could change if you want to.

The halberd is not a common Librarian weapon, judging by the models. You have swords, axes and staves, but I've never seen a halberd before. It's also a signature weapon of the GK (and Custodes, of course). Isn't there a pretty cool staff in the GK set? I'd use that.

The book with a sword through on his chestplate and right shoulderguard is also a common GK symbol. If you are careful enough, you could use your hobby knife/files/clippers to remove the swords so you're only left with books only.

I'd also rethink the left shoulderpad with the inset writing. A normal shoulderpad will probably fit him better.

And of course, the blue paintjob will help a lot in the end.

I think this is good, constructive, critique. I actually wish I'd shaved the sword off the shoulder pad on mine now you mention it, maybe I'll go back and trim it off.

One thing that I think is worth mentioning is that, while a lot of these models will resemble GK's (kind of inevitable considering the OP), once they are along side their chosen battle brothers on a table top they're likely to be the only model which even vaguely resembles a GK. If we were looking to add these Libbys into a GK army they'd obviously not stand out as much as some would like or be mistaken for a regular GK but, in a 'regular' marine army, I think they'll all end up very unique and stand out appropriately.

Archived