Remodeling my warband

Ultraboy

In the past few years I've gotten a little better painting and assembling and I decided to redesign my army. I want to add chevrons and trench warfare-style weapons to my boys and wanted to know what some of you have done with your armies. My army consists mostly of Termicide, Obliterators, Defilers and Chaos Space Marines. I have a few questions though:

-I plan on fielding Obliterators but don't want to spend outrageous money on the GW models. I know using green stuff on Chaos Termies works. Has anybody used or done anything else?

-Painting chevrons and IW colors on Bolters and tanks.....What's your method?

-How can I design a base for a model that's already glued on?

-I want to add elements resembling trench and artillery warfare on my models, any ideas?

I'd seen the work you guys have posted on the board and would look forward to seeing more. Thanks!

-I plan on fielding Obliterators but don't want to spend outrageous money on the GW models. I know using green stuff on Chaos Termies works. Has anybody used or done anything else

I know the feeling, I really like the current Obliterators models but I am start a brand new IW army from scratch & for £60+ conversion. I am currently converting up some Plastic Terminators with the Space Marine devastators weapons.

I should have my IW project log posted up on the 17th of Nov for people to view.

I went with this due to cost, it is plastic so easy to convert with & also I travl to my local GW store, gaming club & tournaments so it would mean they would be lighter to carry.

Also I found this over on the Dakka web site

http://www.dakkadakka.com/core/gallery-vie...p;m=2&w=800

-Painting chevrons and IW colors on Bolters and tanks.....What's your method?

I've painted mine, which can be seen here

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...=240948&hl=

Iyanden Darksun

Bubonic Brown

Golden Yellow

Gryphonne Sepia

Sunburst Yellow - Highlight

Might need another wash of Gryphonne Sepia?

IP

Here's Max's awesome robotic obliterators. There are other people who choose to make weapon teams of a couple marines with different guns on their bases.

I'm not a Iron Warrior guy so I can't really comment there.

I always paint the bases beforehand, but I have done some bases for old models too that didn't have their bases painted. I broke mine off theirs, although I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too hard. Just put some glue around the base, try to avoid the mini and put some small rocks in there. You can then wash it whatever color you like and drybrush, etc.

For trenches I'm not too sure. I found this with a searchy but it isn't too helpful. Check page 4 although there may be more further on.

-Easy Obliterators? Check out Dan the Daemons' obliterator teams, probably the best looking counts-as Oblit's I've ever seen. (page 9, post #208)

-Insane Psychopath's method of painting chevron's is far better than mine, lol. Take his advice...I am.

-Many people do their bases last, after the mini is already glued on. Really, it depends on your theme, but I believe with the trench theme you're looking for, it would be better to have your mini's already on (I'll cover this part at the end).

-Ah, a trench theme...I've been thinking about this one a lot. Personally, I'd suggest reading up on some WWI history, especially the few pics that exist from around that time, and the quotes and descriptions of Soldiers who were there. Second, I'd also suggest reading All Quiet On The Western Front, by Erich Maria Remarque. This'll give you a real feel for the horror of life-grinding trench warfare. Finally, here's a real solid Wet Mud Tutorial. Since it sounds like your mini's are already on their bases (again, nothing wrong with this) I'd suggest having your Iron Warriors standing in ankle deep wet mud, with bits of barbed wire (purchacable from FW), dead bodies, skulls, brass shells, etc, protruding out of the mud, to give the impression that the fight has gone on for quite a while. Splash some of this mud in tiny spots on your mini's, slather your tank tracks in it, and you should be looking at a badass Grand Company in no time.

Hope this helps, man. Take care, and best of luck with your build!

I'm defiantly a fan of Obliterators converted from terminators. Here's a link to some that were posted on the GW site a while ago. They are modeled as Death Guard Oblits but it would be easy enough change them to IWs.

The Oblit in the first link Psychopath posted is actually mine. You can see more pics in my Chaos thread (see my sig). I used Wolf Guard terminators as the base models and added weapons etc from several different kits. Some times i think people go a little over board with Obliterators and cover them in too many weapons. Keeping the weapons limited gives the obliterators a more 'business like' look.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN0223.jpg?t=1309071936

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN0225.jpg?t=1309071855

If you want to model up the bases remove the mini before you start painting!

For my bases i usually glue or pin the model on for the painting process. I then remove the model and build and paint the base before reattaching the mini. Trenches could be quite difficult to do well. I'm not saying you shouldn't try it though because if done well the results would be stunning. I would suggest adding some trench boards and lots of barbed wire.

When painting hazard stripes i usually start with a base of 'Iyanden Dark Sun' before painting on the black stripes. I then add a couple of thinned layers of 'Golden Yellow'. If you wanted to highlight the yellow i would add a little 'Bleached Bone' to the 'Golden Yellow'.

Good luck with the IWs and i look forward to seeing some pics when you get them done.

I also did some Terminator-based Obliterators. I wanted mine to look like beefed-up Techmarines, so I enlarged them quite a bit.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/totgeboren40/Daemons/darkapostle010-1.jpg

Neither the terminator nor the Oblit is painted in this pic, but it will give you a sense of scale.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/totgeboren40/Daemons/traitorguards009.jpg

These conversions are kinda advanced, since i used both home-casting of parts, greenstuff and plasticard. But if you go for a less uniform appearance (I made three) so you can have all sorts of guns on them, and skip the enlargement, they should be fairly straight forward. Just put lots of guns onto a terminator and add some cables made from guitar string. Done.

for those interested obliterators are in the cue for finecast and will probably be done for christmas...

secndely i hate the obliterator models and so tried to make my own using the weapons from the termys and converted with added plasma pistol parts and flamer bits etc. also making them slightly taller than a regular termy helps too. wip shots...

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/generalhazard_album/models/P2020404.jpg

Archived