Great Crusade Thousand Sons

Kierdale

Very slowly putting together a pre-Heresy 1kSons army. I'm undecided when it comes to choosing a fellowship as I'm keen on making my own captain rather than one featured in A Thousand Son. There is the 4th, mentioned in Age of Darkness.

As I say, work is slow, so this first post is only going to be very WIP images/teasers. A tactical squad is nearing completion and I'm starting work on a VV squad (power swords and storm shields across the board. Tactically unsound and points-wise insane, but hopefully it'll look good).

The tactical squad's melta gun, with scarab-esque purity seal (and scorched parchment. The wind must've blown it into the barrel at some point. Oops!).

gallery_63428_6618_40752.jpg

Veteran's motion-scanner (note that base is to be redone and he needs his Legion insignia). With his other arm he's popping off a shot at whatever that blip is.

gallery_63428_6618_3802.jpg

First VV member. I recently picked up a box of Tomb King's Tomb Guard and there's a wealth of goodies in there to cannibalise. Both the shield and sword will probably get cables (guitar string if I figure out what kind to buy) and the shield might have some battle damage. The aquila's been GS'd into a winged scarab.

gallery_63428_6618_2948.jpg

The back of the shield. I'll probably leave the wood unchanged (a nice bit of Prosperine mahogany, that). The forearm of the Tomb King's Guard proved a perfect fit as a handle for the storm shield.

gallery_63428_6618_11139.jpg

The red still needs highlighting on all the tacticals, but this first one has at least had his mithril highlighting on the gold. Boy's just reloaded his bolter, gripping his knife at the same time in case someone rushes him. The second pic shows his fingers better.

gallery_63428_6618_23260.jpggallery_63428_6618_37026.jpg

The squad sergeant. Needs the clasps on his scrolls painting, and some form of decoration on the...what shall we call it? Crotch-gong? There was a demonic head hanging under the scrolls but that seemed a little too heretical so I GS'd a block there. Perhaps some hieroglyphs...or his Cult's symbol.

gallery_63428_6618_19214.jpg

Squad veteran. Evidently not a member of the Corvidae or Athaneans as he has to use a scanner. Since I made him without a helmet I put some kohl makeup on him. Hope it doesn't look too camp.

gallery_63428_6618_15166.jpg

Another tactical (photographed a little too close!)

gallery_63428_6618_11107.jpg

Special weapon marine. The melta gun isn't glued in place, so I can swap it out for plasma or a flamer as necessary.

gallery_63428_6618_11143.jpg

The bases are, as I mentioned in the last post, temporary. Any suggestions on a suitable type of scenery are welcome. Also I realise the purple loincloths are rather plain. Perhaps a different coloured trim? A white stripe just above the bottom hem?

Finally a head for one of the VV squad. I call him "Mr. Peacock Head" :o

gallery_63428_6618_2992.jpg

Looking forward to doing a command squad in the future, including an apothecary festooned with ankhs.

C&C welcome, of course.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks AndrewJ and ThisIsJimmy.

Here are some more WIP shots. In this bright sunlight the red looks really plain...I do need to do some heavier washes and highlighting!

The squad finally has a name, too, Tactical Squad Nehebkau. As the sergeant will have the double-serpent-headed backpack (putting a banner on it now) the two-headed snake god seemed most fitting. That Nehebkau was also a guardian of the entrance to the underworld adds attraction! I'll be putting the hieroglyphs for his name onto the banner.

First, the full squad:

gallery_63428_6618_47526.jpg

The squad's missile launcher-equipped marine, showing a tomb king shin-guard added for decoration, and a long purity seal paper wrapped around the cabling.

gallery_63428_6618_14926.jpg

Detail of the Legion insignia. Officers will have Cult (Athanaean, Corvidae, Pavoni, Pyrae or Raptora) markings in the middle of the sunburst.

gallery_63428_6618_14966.jpg

Sergeant Nehebkau himself.

I'm a little uneasy about adding spark/lightning effects to the blade of the weapon...any advice?

gallery_63428_6618_14866.jpg

The Vanguard Vets are coming along slowly. Here's some work on the sergeant. He'll be charging forward, holding out his shield to the front and preparing to drive that power halberd through his foe.

The two blokes behind him are going to be turned into remembrancers (as wound-markers for future 1kSons characters). The left one will be a writer with a backpack complete with servo-arm writing in his book, and cables leading from his hat to the backpack as if it's psychically-operated (in a way similar to Mahavastu Kallimakus'), his more rotund companion will be a pictographer (not sure how I'll make his picter yet). Both will be a nice change from painting so much red!

gallery_63428_6618_14818.jpg

Now to do some more washes and highlighting...

I like the auspex screen freehand, that's frakking impressive. Cant wait to see your take on the shoulder legion symbols- will be keeping an eye on this for ideas and inspiration from your freehand work.

Personally- I think the risk of possible mishap vs an awesome looking blade is worth it, give it a shot! There's plenty of tutorials around the site that are simple to try, all laid out quite well.

And I LOVE the idea of the vanguard vets, it'll be fun to see your work on them. The imagery that springs to mind is tantilizing. :D

Keep up the good work Kierdale!

First I'm pleased to say that tactical squad Nehebkau saw their first combat yesterday (in my first games of WH40K in about 12 years).

A 750 point game (my tactical squad and, borrowed from the GW store: another tactical squad, a captain and an ironclad in a drop pod) versus (why oh why?! It was my first game in so long!) Grey Knights :( : one squad of GK marines, a dreadknight, a trio of apes and some henchmen lead by Inquisitor Coteaz).

Lost the game (2 objectives to my 1) but I'm pleased to say that squad Nehebkau were the only forces left standing at the end (on my side) and that the squad's missile launcher managed to take two of Coteaz's wounds (and very nearly killed him) along with mincing a load of his #cough#meatshield#cough# henchmen. If I had actually killed him it would've meant honour markings for that marine!

In the second game I and the GK player teamed up (such heresy! :HQ: ) for a 1500 point game against...Necrons. I didn't have much luck in the foes I faced that day. Squad Nehebkau fled off the field in the first turn after taking three casualties (very embarrassing! :D ), my dreadknight dropped right in front of the Doomsday Ark...and got crippled before it could get into close combat. It was soon hacked apart by somethingorother scythes. That Doomsday Ark was sure a bullet-magnet (but thankfully we stopped it from getting off more than one decent shot IIRC).

A Necron victory in the end, though a lot of lessons were learned.

After getting my rear handed to me in both games I picked up a box of sand, got home and got to work. I want revenge.

Working on some sandstone-like bases for my Vanguard Veterans.

In steps...

gallery_63428_6758_10585.jpggallery_63428_6758_2450.jpggallery_63428_6758_35363.jpg

What do you think? Perhaps dry brush the sand bits again to get them yellower?

I found a great source of cork: a set of four coasters in the local 100 yen store (that's 82p for 4 for those back in Blighty).

And I put some cult insignia on the squad veteran and sergeant.

The veteran, being without a helmet, I chose for him to be a member of the Pavoni and, as their mark is supposed to be a colourful feather, I tried for something a bit peacock-ish (the eye, being apotropaic, attracted me too).

gallery_63428_6618_2777.jpg

I'm not particularly happy with it, so any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

And Nehebkau is Corvidae (a raven's head). I'm happier with this one:

gallery_63428_6618_2735.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Tactical squad Nehebkau have been finished and rebased...I just need to take some better pictures of them.

The vanguard are coming along but I want to do a bit more work on them before showing anything. I picked up some liquid GS yesterday and, after a little experimenting today, it looks very promising. I'll be using GS to change their torso armour, all their helms (but for the Mk.6 ones, as I obviously don't want any Mk.7), and add decoration (along with parts from the Tomb King Guard box). Dynamic poses across the squad. Had to scratch build a thunder-hammer and jump packs for everyone.

The two remembrancers (wound markers) are coming along well. I got some gryphonne sepia last weekend so I'll be working on finishing their skin soon.

First up is the fat imagist.

gallery_63428_6618_9879.jpggallery_63428_6618_83280.jpggallery_63428_6618_89405.jpg

The mechanical tentacle-arm still needs painting, and I want to GS-up its mount on his belt a bit more. Since it's 30K rather than 40K, I chose not to have the camera hardwired to his brain/eyes or other such gruesomeness. As for who he is: a successful imagist on [planet] who rose to fame and riches (which accounts for his girth) with a natural talent for being in the right place at the right time, always getting amazing shots with his picter...which drew the attention of the Thousand Sons and got him posted to Prospero and accompanying Magnus and his boys. Hence he doesn't look too happy, being in the middle of battlefields.

Needs a name...

And the other, a scribe, with a backpack (slightly reminiscent of Ghostbusters) with an ink pot over one shoulder and a servo arm over the other (hence the ink stains on his hat). There will be wires snaking from the holes in his hat to his backpack so it's directed by his thoughts (somewhat similar to those used by Mahavastu Kallimakus and Petronella Vivar).

gallery_63428_6618_5442.jpggallery_63428_6618_5487.jpg

gallery_63428_6618_17825.jpg

And as I've been reading Deathwing again I got tempted to do this objective marker...

gallery_63428_6841_78731.jpg

gallery_63428_6841_81446.jpg

I, Kierdale of the Planet of Sorcerers, vow on the honour of my Chapter Legion to paint and present at least 1 Scout Squad on or before the 31st of March, 2012. I promise to provide at least two WIP updates, preferably with pictures, in that time. I vow that if I should fail, I will provide the Librarium with an article and wear the Signature of Shame until my penitence period is done.

And here's the subject of my LPC oath...

gallery_63428_6618_172996.jpg

...which means the Vanguard will be on the back-burner for a bit.

And here they are built.

gallery_63428_6618_61100.jpg

Heads all shaved as I'm not so keen on the standard haircut. Did a lot of repositioning of the arms too, which'll mean a lot of GS filling. Gave the sergeant a combi-melta (as I'll probably be buying them a LS Storm next month for the ol' melta torpedo tactic). Took the winged eagles off the scouts' chests and replaced the skull on the sergeant with a scarab.

Note the 4th guy in line has his pistol holstered (on his hip) and, while brandishing his knife, is beckoning, "Come on if you want some!"

• 2 weeks later...

First an LPC update.

The scout squad sergeant -now named Kemnebi ("Black Panther")- has a golden mask, and the four scouts have circlets with vulture-heads. These will be gold. I intend to have a sniper squad in the future who will be similarly adorned, though with theirs as the rearing cobra (Uraeus).

The red and brown/tan areas are complete (the highlights barely show up in the photos, sadly) though there is some battle-damage that had been modeled in but not yet painted. Thanks to some search-fu here on the B&C I found some advice for colouring their heads so they look shaved.

They're not yet attached to their bases (their foot-pins are stuck in cork to help painting), I just put them on their bases now for photos (and the camera oh so kindly chose to focus on the bases no matter what I tried. Next time I'll just snap them on the cork. Advice welcome).

gallery_63428_6618_13462.jpg

Sergeant Kemnebi

gallery_63428_6618_4269.jpg

Knifey

gallery_63428_6618_20736.jpg

Visor (he has a targeter on the side of his pistol which was cut from a Mk.7 helmet. I might add a cable snaking to his visor when I'm done)

gallery_63428_6618_16622.jpg

Big knife

gallery_63428_6618_20717.jpggallery_63428_6618_24813.jpg

and his twin, reversed grip on his knife

gallery_63428_6618_28909.jpggallery_63428_6618_28845.jpg

And, non-LPC, the scribe-remembrancer (wound counter) got wired up. He's not quite finished yet.

gallery_63428_6618_16556.jpg

Awesome Kallimakus-type fella.

Usually I despise scout models but that serpent crest is absolutely kickass. Keep it up.

Thanks, Ah-a-nothepsis.

Here's the latest pics. Pretty much finished except for basing them and perhaps a final few touch-ups.

The squad

gallery_63428_6618_84767.jpg

Reverse-grip knife scout

gallery_63428_6618_38655.jpg

Big knife

gallery_63428_6618_5888.jpg

Knifey (who took a hit to his Legion insignia...the sarg' won't be happy about that...)

gallery_63428_6618_26368.jpggallery_63428_6618_5940.jpg

Visor

gallery_63428_6618_18836.jpg

And sergeant Kemnebi

gallery_63428_6618_18837.jpggallery_63428_6618_42805.jpg

gallery_63428_6618_30580.jpg

I tried to make the winged scarab on his chest look like it was carved from jade (as per A Thousand Sons). Any advice on how to improve it would be welcome.

I decided he's from the Pyrae cult (since he and his squad are going to be in a LS Storm thrown at the enemy as a bloody Alpha-strike) and painted a tiiiiny scarlet phoenix rising from flames in the middle of the Legion Insignia. I'll try to get a better photo of it sometime (better light...better camera, even).

Next update will probably be them based and completed...then back to the Vanguard Vets and a lot of GS.

First off, your thread is just full of win. Your conceptualizations and modeling are excellent. This will be an army that you will be able to take pride in for many years. It would be humourous if yours and mine force were ever able to get a game in as we are nemeses (I think that's right) and it would be epic.

How we'd make the link up between Tokyo and Texas would be legendary. Not sure how it could happen, but it's fun to think about.

A couple of comments:

1. Overall, I think your painting is wonderful and you are creating a very believable PH-TS army. So many kudos on that.

2. Since you are putting in the amazing effort, I think there's a couple of things you might consider.

a. The purple areas on the robes could use a highlight, to give them a little more definition and "pop".

b. This is a little more subjective, but where the red touches other non-red areas, you might consider a thin line of Devlan Mud to accent the separation

3. Jade - you might try a light dry brush with the base color lightened up with just a touch of white, then either a thinned layer of green ink or Thraka wash.

4. Your insignia freehand is very well done. I stand up and applaud you.

5. Bases: Yes, I would dry brush them one more time to get some highlights on the grains of sand. Might consider a Skull White + Bleached Bone (50/50)

Very impressive work so far...

Cheers,

Thank you very much Honda!

Yes, I've seen your Custodian! <_< That would be quite a showdown. We'd need to rope in a SW player to bring his flea-bitten barbarians too :teehee:

Thanks for the advice too.

I'll try a lighter highlight on the purple robes (I need some fresh pics of that squad anyway), and I think I'll redo the jade on the scout sergeant. At the moment it's just three or so Thraka Green washes over Skull White. I'll built it up properly!

I'll also give the sand-areas a lighter drybrush!

• 2 weeks later...

Vow Complete

Kemnebi Scout Squad

gallery_63428_6618_657.jpg

Out on patrol...

gallery_63428_6618_48090.jpg

And a close-up of sergeant Kemnebi himself...

gallery_63428_6618_113626.jpg

And since I'd redone Tactical squad Nehebkau's bases - and there was good light this morning - I took some shots of them too, though I'm thinking of redoing the sergeant's flag with GS and doing it as two separate flags on either side of the vertical pole, one Legion-oriented, one personal with a cartouche containing his name.

gallery_63428_6618_131455.jpg

And the two squads together...

gallery_63428_6618_24045.jpg

And now back to working on the Vanguard Veterans...

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped in at my local GW (Nakano) on the way home after work.

To celebrate the anniversary they'd had a few games going on and I arrived just as a 5000-pointer was ending. Eldar, Blood Angels and Orks (an unlikely alliance!) versus two Grey Knight players. A Grey Knight victory.

Had a chat with the players and the manager afterwards and I'd taken my battered old copy of 40K Rogue Trader with me which we reminisced over.

Also picked myself up a Land Speeder Storm for scout squad Kemnebi to ride in (I'll have to get a normal Land Speeder soon for the multi-melta). I bought some round bases too as I figured I may as well build the scouts you get in the kit as an actual squad. Bolters for four and I'll make a tripod for the heavy bolter to go on.

The Vanguard Veterans are coming along well. I'll post some pictures of them soon, including their custom jump-packs (I'm leaning toward naming them Horus-pattern jump packs)...

Nice army, though I don't get why all the troopers have the funky head-dress. In all the pre-heresy artwork it's only officers and higher members of the hierarchy that have those...

Nice army, though I don't get why all the troopers have the funky head-dress. In all the pre-heresy artwork it's only officers and higher members of the hierarchy that have those...

Thanks for the comment, Excessus.

Basically I've got crests on everyone in my tactical squad as basically I wanted to have them look unmistakeably 'Thousand Sons'. They were my first squad made after retuning to the hobby after a decade away. Since I've done them I'm keen on giving each squad some form of distinctive decoration: the tactical squad with those pharaoh-esque crests, the scouts with their hawk-circlets, the vanguard veterans with semi-circular crests. Depending on what new TS minis GW brings out, it'll dictate how future units look. Oh, and I'd like to pick up some FW early-marks at some point (wallet willing), those will probably be plainer-looking.

One idea for the future might be to convert Nehebkau tactical squad into a sternguard squad.

Sternguards would fit them nicely I think. Together with Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons has always been a favorite of mine ever since 2nd ed! (still have a few old converted 2nd ed TS lying around somewhere ;)) It's always nice to see people making armies with them, and I especially love the freehand!

Keep up the good work! B)

Thanks again Excessus ;)

Some progress on the Vanguard Veteran squad.

They still need cleaning up, further highlighting (the blue particularly) and the addition of gear (purity seals with long streamer-like papers to show movement, grenades and other glitz) and their custom jump packs to be completed, but here's some WIP shots:

gallery_63428_6618_62932.jpg

gallery_63428_6618_110355.jpg

One of my personal favourites, cleaving some poor :D 's head off

gallery_63428_6618_122644.jpg

And the as-yet-unnamed sergeant. His left arm will be holding out his storm shield in front of him

gallery_63428_6618_61204.jpg

...and a teaser for what their Horus-pattern jump packs look like. They're pretty big, around an 8cm wingspan.

gallery_63428_6618_74493.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Oh man, I can't wait to see how those Vanguard turn out :D

Thanks Spazzola.

The VVs are finished but I haven't had chance to take any decent pictures (i.e. outside) yet. This is a quickie I took inside:

gallery_63428_6618_84101.jpg

As you can see, the custom jump packs are...big!

All the Vets have long, trailing purity seals, some on weapons, some on armour or wings, all with scribble-text and hieroglyphs. I'll take some detail picks of those and their weapons when conditions are better.

(Tactical) Sergeant Nehebkau now has a better banner, replacing the old paper one with a pair of GS ones (ruddy fragile though. Broke once already. Then again, I did drop him :lol: ).

gallery_63428_6618_124597.jpg

The hieroglyphs in the cartouche are those for `Nehebkau`.

I also picked up these today...

gallery_63428_6758_13776.jpg

a couple of cool blue-green sparkly dice with golden scarabs as `one`s. I'll be keeping those for my special weapons, characters, Leadership roles, etc...and a Tamiya weathering set (600 yen is very cheap, considering a bottle of GW paint is 500 yen over here). Now to get used to using it.

Archived