Dark Angels supposedly not important.

Zincite

Found this via BoLS, from Warseer. Full topic

"DA will probably not be updated anytime soon, because its not a popular army and GW does not want to waste money updating one or more armies that almost no one plays with a separate dex"

Now, assuming that that random rumour is true, I'm personally not that bothered. After all, that means lot more opportunities for moaning about our 'dex, and we're not going to be used as a test for 6th Ed. It also seems suspect that GW should consider that nobody plays it, since nobody played Dark Eldar either until the new codex. Or Demon Hunters Or, to a slightly lesser extent, Necrons.

What's other peoples feelings if, indeed, GW considers us unimportant? Do, truly, extremely few people play DA compared to the BT?

I contest that quoted sentiment... and say this... maybe if our book was brought up to date then more people would play DA. It's chicken and egg really. GW knows this very well.

Cheers

I

...snip... maybe if our book was brought up to date then more people would play DA. It's chicken and egg really. GW knows this very well.

Cheers

I

That point was made in the WS thread also... Something along the lines of "If we hadnt had two sub-par books in a row maybe there would be more players. GW has done this to us, blah blah blah..." Around 50% of this "rumor" conflicts with other rumors already bandied about... Ingest with salt please:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5915315

I personally find that there are more and more of us cropping up.

Like me!

A new book could mean negative changes too... I could see them changing our Terminator options to be more in-line with the other Codex Chapters (read: Chapters with thier own Codex).

I just got my DA book, and I really like what it offers (than again I have a lot of Scouts, and WS4 and BS 4 are nice).

I contest that quoted sentiment... and say this... maybe if our book was brought up to date then more people would play DA. It's chicken and egg really. GW knows this very well.

Cheers

I

I agree. It's unpopular due to other Marine codices being more up to date. With a new shiny dex on par with those others that have been released, DA will have it's loyalists still, it's fallen repent and return, and a bunch of bandwagoneers to boot. GW knows this. GW likes to make money. This rumor is just silly.

I like one comment from that thread regarding the Fortress of Redemption - why release a massive piece of scenery for an unpopular army? I'd say it's just one of the nods to use that they still care and that we will see an update in the near future.

Yeah I hear that 6th edition starter set is DA vs Chaos marines (unmissable fluff opportunity regarding the hunt for the fallen? I think so!)

I'd say the parts about DA getting the hard elbow because of it's unpopularity might be worth taking with perhaps more than a grain of salt, despite the almost, contempt, that certain people seem to have for the army, I notice they seem to be one of the most regular armies I see.

Daemonhunters, now THAT was an unpopular army.

I remember when these Dark Angels boards were the most popular of all of the B&C boards, which was before the 2007 codex came out. The lack of popularity of the Dark Angels is entirely Games Workshop's doing.

I also feel like Black Templar are about as popular as Dark Angels, though I don't have access to GW's sales numbers. Will take these numbers with a grain of salt.

Don't be disheartened.

It looks more like someone spit balling than anything that GW would do. GW has been bringing out the much overlooked GK and DE, and even a stop gap measure for SoB [which seems like they will be doing a proper Dex for them, eventually]

I would not put too much faith in their rumour, to be honest :)

I don't know if they are unpopular or not, but DA fluff is the best of all space marine chapters and that alone deserves an update. They are ripe for new shinies on par with Sanguinary Guard, Librarian Dreadnoughts and Stormravens - watchers in the dark, plasma predators, new invented DW and RW units, the land speeder tempest, jet bikes...

Personally, given a choice, I'd rather nuke the templars, if it was a 'one or the other' choice. (that isn't to say I dislike the templars, I don't. honest. I just like them less than the rest)

But I don't buy it anyway. Unpopular? No way.

GW hate Dark_Angels Players...

sorry but if that was true than

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...otCatGameStyle=

why the hell does GW have 17 different options of DA players to add to their forces????

not counting the PDF BA codex wasn't almost 2 decades before the BA got a proper codex??

blah...

now if the rumor about the new starter box being DA vs the fallen(chaos) oOoOoO shiny if not pffft and double pfffft

Edit:

DA ven dread (PURE Awesome Sauce)

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-4000...READNOUGHT.html

and oh yeah DA own personal playground: i forgot.. which other chapter has one of these... oh thats right NONE..

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...dId=prod340014a

Found this via BoLS, from Warseer. Full topic

"DA will probably not be updated anytime soon, because its not a popular army and GW does not want to waste money updating one or more armies that almost no one plays with a separate dex"

Note that this quote is just from a "Joe Schmoe", not from any GW personnel, so don't take it too seriously. Black Templars will be out before DA because it was planned to be that way. DA are quite well liked, and GW knows it. That might have something to do with a good chunk of the design staff having had DA armies over the years. How many people know that though. :rolleyes: So, take the comment with a boat load of salt. :P

I am also sceptical. The DA still have one of the most popular backgrounds for a 40K army - all that's needed is for the rules to match the background and the models will sell.

The problem always seems to have been that GW have trouble representing our army on the tabletop.

I am sceptical about us being poster boys for the new edition (which might be expected if we were in the starter set) - we never have been before, so why would we know? I suppose that the BA/UM were in 2nd, the BT were in 3rd, but since then it's been the UM, which I can't say I have a problem with. The DA seem a little more niche than the UM.

I think that if DA were in the new starter set, it would push them very much into the limelight, where they are in danger, as Gillyfish said, of becoming the next poster boys of humanity, which doesn't suit the Angels well, the whole point of them is that they're a shadowy, secretive chapter. I'm not so sure that could survive if a beginner to the hobby's first impression of a space marine is the Dark Angels. They might be in danger of being considered the 'default' chapter which UM have had for a while.

If they do go ahead and slightly tarnish the Dark Angels with a box set, they had better do it tastefully, rich with fluff, with a force that truly represents the Dark Angels (Atleast 1 squad of terminators + bikers and landspeeder) and not just "lol green marines vs chaos"

and I think Mr. "Joe Schmoe" is just a guy who has a score to settle with the unforgiven.

To put it bluntly; I will burn up over 200e, or +250$ straight away on my "On Hiatus" Dark Angel army in a heartbeat, should we get a new codex. Next month it'll be +400

We were the "most selling Marine Chapter" at the time, and besides the words that have been already said. I refuse to buy a single new "unit" for my Dark Angels. I've known a few Dark Angel players who have done the "same as I", and we're merely waiting in the shadows, for our time and return. I dare to say that should GW do what is right, and the Dark Angels return become a reality, the" numerous veterans" would indeed return, for there is a strong "communion" within us, and we're just waiting for a sign, which never comes, even after what happened with the GW's "Mishandling of our 4th edition Codex".

The Grand Campaign of Armageddon, The 13th Black Crusade...

*sigh* Waiting for a sign that never comes... and I still refuse to turn my back on a group "blew me away" over 16 years ago. If not for anything else, they should do it for those who have a passion for this, and especially those who have been around as Dark Angels from the Roque Trader days.. It's been too many years.. It's starting to get a bit "heart rending", too many great memories, too many unforgettable battles.

Hell, should they put up another Grand Campaign, I would go to war with that 4th edition codex, just to "show one of the big boys", that "Once a Dark Angel, Always a Dark Angel".

Who the heck says that the DA models dont sell?I have seen zero marine armies in the last two years that dont have the robed bodies of our veterans in them one way or the other.I have also heard of zero biker army players who havent bought at least two ravenwing battle forces for them.

So if you look it at a chart DA sell.

Also i havent run into a store that there arent at least a couple dark angels armies(or successors).

Whether they use the codex or not is another story entirely IMHO.

The only bad side of this story and my personal opinion is that gw sees that and it doesnt try any harder to make us distinct.Instead it gives our toys to the other marine chapters all the time.

I am inclined to believe that there will be another DA codex after the templars and hopefully will be at least second or third in the sixth edition row.Also hopefully it wont be atrocious fluff wise as the rest of the 5th has been for the necs and GK.

No need to become poster boys either.I like it to be in the shadows as our chapter is fond of.We may not be as many as blood angels or SW,but we are enough and our players are doing very very well in tournaments with a crappy codex in hand(long live the update that made the DW viable!).

EDIT:I dread the day i will see Wards Black Templars.I dread it because i use to joke to them that they are a khornate cult waiting to happen.And after cutting poor Helbrects arm he will do just that...

Archived