Guardians of the Covenant

Yellow Stripe

Hi Guys,

I used to paint the odd model every now and then a few years ago, and recently decided to start up again. I never really got into the gaming side of things, but have decided to go ahead and start painting up some guys to make a small army (1500 - 2000pts) that follows the codex just in case I decide to one day give it a go.

I've always had a fascination with the dark angels, loved the whole imagery and the story behind these guys, and seing as I once painted up a squad or so, I wanted to try something a little different. Did a bit of research into the successor chapters of the DA and decided to go with the Guardians of the Covenant. The boltgun metal, with red robes just looks awesome, and I love the concept of warrior monks devoted to not only combat, but also the scholarly arts, and they have an awesome gothic feel to them.

Anyway, so I started painting some of these guys over the past 2 months or so, my progress is slow, but wanted to upload a few pics to show how my army is coming along and hopefully to get some feedback too.

Any constructive criticism is welcome, whether for the modelling side, or painting, so please, let me know what you think.

Like I said, the small amount I have done so far has been over a span of a couple months, but I will gradually update new pics as I complete more models.

Welcome to the Unforgiven brother.

I am personally looking forward to seeing your pics, Guardians of the Covenant are my favourite successor chapter as i too think the Boltgun Metal armour and the red robes look brilliant.

1st Company Standard Bearer. I basically used the Deathwing Company Banner for this one (changed a little). I figured that considering the successor chapters follow the same structure of the DA (company insignia, etc) they would probably use a similar Company Banner. Whereas am Army Banner I would assume would be alot different. I may be wrong here, just going on assumptions.

gallery_65020_6770_117067.jpg

Some good looking models in there for sure! I think you're pretty safe fluff-wise with the 1st Company banner being similar; it's the depiction of the defeat of Lion El'Jonson as Caliban is destroyed so it's appropriate across any of the Unforgiven chapters i'd say.

You definitely have a talent for painting, i'd be surprised if this topic doesn't become popular among Dark Angel players.

This here is Uriel, dreadnaught. I realise that the DA Codex does not allow Ironclad Dreadnaughts, but this guy just looked so much cooler and couldn't help myself.

gallery_65020_6770_180357.jpg

I am currently working on a 3rd Company Master. Will be a while before this guy will be finished but have started his Command Squad. Here is the Apothecary.

gallery_65020_6770_394.jpg

Command Squad Sergeant.

gallery_65020_6770_47643.jpg

1st Tac Squad Sergeant

gallery_65020_6770_32293.jpg

And just some Tac Marines that I have done so far.

gallery_65020_6770_154692.jpg

THIS IS SOOOOOOO NICE!!!

Very impressive stuff!! The banner is free hand right? I really like the very dark metal shade for the aromour! If I was to do a GotC (and I might) that is what I would be aiming for (and probably failing)...

Interesting you chose red for the Termie helmets! Instinctively I'd go for black, but this reinforces the three color pallette and undelines the elite nature of the termies... Well played.

I'm very impressed with your work. Good thing you chose the Unforgiven :)

So what's the grand plan? What is next in the pipeline?

Forgot to mention: Congrats on the basing! Looking awesome!

Wow, thanks guys.

Re: Captain Semper, the banner is freehand, bit of a pain, but im happy with the result. Im looking at creating my own design for a Chapter Banner for the 3rd Company Standard Bearer. With the dark boltgun metal, I basically use a fairly generous Badab Black inkwash after doing the detail, really sinks in there and gets a nice finish. They actually showed up a bit darker in these pics than in reality. I found it hard getting the lighting right and will hopefully get some better looking shots up one day.

As for the Termie helmets, I'm basically just having Gabriel's squad with the red. I used it to indicate a higher status within the ranks.

At the moment, I am currently working on a few pieces to fill in some gaps, eg; Terminator Squad Sergeant, 3rd Company Master, and the rest of the 3rd Company Command Squad. Then i'm thinking of tackling a Rhino, so im curious to how that one will turn out.

Cheers, for the feedback :)

Re: Brother Degas, the technique I used for the robes are actually pretty easy, However I think it would need a little more work with lighter colours. Basically I use an undercoat of Chaos Black all over, then paint the robes with a couple light coats of Scab Red. Layer on some Badab Black ink to really get in the grooves and just highlight the raised parts with Blood Red. I usually use a little more ink after its dry to tone down the Blood Red a bit, but yeah, pretty easy actually. Glad you like them :cuss and also, thanks for the feedback.

Great work Yellow Stripe, your freehand work is awesome.

I really ike the way the termies have different coloured heads, great personalisation.

I can't wait to see how you handle the vehicles, too much red and you risk looking like a BA ;) fan so careful does it (imho).

Again, welcome to the Rock

stobz

Don't know how or why I've missed this topic thus far :D but your GoC are pure awesome sauce !! Love the banner and other freehand work and the manner in which you've weathered your models. Brilliant.

Cheers

I

Yes, I agree with the others, these look fantastic.

My take on the Guardians is they are like the Pre-Heresy Word Bearers of the Dark Angels. My preference would be to play up the scripture/hanging parchment/purity seal motif as much as possible (without them feeling cluttered of course). I see that you made sure to give them the proper engraved armor look where you could.

The weathering on the Dread is very nice. What did you use for your hanging banners on him?

Thanks for all the feedback :P

EPK: For the Banners on the Dreadnought, I used small strips of calico, painted then singed. I then used a light coat of glue give them a wavy look, then drill and glue in small nails (or cut the heads off) to make them look secured in place.

At the time of writing this, I am currently working on a Rhino. I'm about half way done at the moment and should have some pics up hopefully within a couple days.

Thanks again to all for the feedback. It has been very helpful and truly appreciate it.

Your models are awesome man, I really love the Apothecary, and the termy company standard is amazing, the painting and basing on all your models are great. The Thunder hammer termy, the dread, the company banner and the 1st tactical sergeant really caught my attention inspiring stuff bro =)

Alright, so I took a little time off of the Rhino for a bit to finish off this guy.

Sariel, 3rd Company Master.

gallery_65020_6770_9679.jpg

I still need to do a few little touches, but he is pretty much done. Tried to do a few little unique touches to this guy to make him more his own.

Also, found a better light source for taking my pics :(

Wow! This guy really means business! Excellent pose, looks like he's leading/directing rather than fighting. And the load out qualifies him as Azrael too! :lol: Truly awesome work on the detail of the robe! Having arrows AND thorn-like motifs speaks tons of your steady hand mate!

This is developing into a very very good looking army! Keep it up!

Thanks for the feedback guys, I truly appreciate it.

Just finished up on this one. 1st Tac Squad Rhino. I tried to add alot of battle damage to this one (without going overboard) by adding missing patches, rust and general wear on the vehicle, and finished it up with some mud effects. I plan on doing similar setups on future Rhinos, but also plan on doing a Razorback and LRC for Command Squad transport and will probably try something a little different to add character and uniqueness to the more 'important' vehicles.

As always, feedback and criticism is greatly appreciated.

gallery_65020_6770_13438.jpg

gallery_65020_6770_198524.jpg

Feedback? yes. Critisism? no!

This looks great! I really like that you went for red as the main color (as opposed to metal) - it works really well! I paticularly like the inscriptions on the doors and the Rhino's name (free hand again I suppose). Mud effect and battle damage excellently done and, as you put it, not overdone. They ARE marines after all, not guardmen! :)

What would be next though?

Termie Command squad? I count only 4 models B) So we should expect the final guy?

Command Squad? You've done the Sergeant and the Apothercary, so this is also a priority - no?

1st Squad? Sergeand done, another marine done (possibly two - I can't tell the markings of the guy in the middle pic) and the (very, very cool) Rhino done! Rest of first squad? The Rhino must have its passangers! :o

As you realise, I look forward for more! Go GotC!!!

Archived