Demo's 2012 LPC thread

Demoulius

Hello guys. Ive taken the time to think about my LPC and decided that I should make up for my failure from last year (:() by completing a big one this year :P so without further ado:

I, Demoulius of the Blood Angels, vow on the honour of my Chapter to paint and present at least 9 scouts, 9 tactical marines, 5 honour guard, 2 furioso dreadnaughts, 1 terminator sanguinary priest, 1 jump pack librarian and 1 DIY Tycho on or before the 31st of March, 2012. I promise to provide at least two WIP updates, preferably with pictures, in that time. I vow that if I should fail, I will provide the Librarium with an article and wear the Signature of Shame until my penitence period is done.

Now most of them are at least assembled and basecoated (some have a 2nd coat on) but theres still plenty of work left to complete!

Il post pictures at a later date but il try to paint abit (perhaps 30-60 minutes or so) a day on these guys. Ive found that short sessions with only 2 or 3 models keeps me motivated the most so thats what il be doing ;)

Current state of the troops (il provide a picture before I start painting tommorow)

9 scouts: complete.

9 marines: complete.

5 honour guard, complete.

2 furioso dreadnaughts. complete

terminator SP: complete.

jump pack liby, complete

DIY Tycho, complete.

So if all goes as planned il update this thread tommorow :)

-updates-

il be updating the first post as i go along with my progress.

• 4 weeks later...

yay! off to a good start, neglecting to do any painting for 3 weeks straight :D

Since im now abit more strapped for time it means il have to do abit more paintinga day then i originally intended but its still not a big deal.

ive scheduled a week for each unit (or project) in my original list and il be painting them in the order that ive posted.

So...first up scouts! linky

as you can see they are basecoated, have their first coat of red and cloth on them, nothing else. id say they would fit under the 50% norm? :tu:

first update!

first 2 shots of the whole bunch in their current form :lol: linky! and linky 2! :P in linky 1 theres a scout on the far left which is hard to see so i placed him in the centre for the 2nd link :lol:

their faces, the metallic parts, the leather parts and the camo cloaks have their first coat :lol: scouts take so much more effort and time to paint. much more different textured and materials on their person. makes for a joy (and somewhat of a hassle compared to marines) to paint. thats the reason I wanted to do these guys first. the bland marines come after the big fun :tu:

I in particulary liked the old metal scout models! these have such great details and they have such awesome poses as well! (at least the scout versions do... close combat ones arent really dynamic sadly..)

im not sure which colour to give the inner part of the cloaks though. I was thinking a striking orange or perhaps a bland cloth colour (think khaki) what do you guys think?

Oh! and lest i forget, scouts! and more scouts!

thoughts so far? :)

yay! update time :)

i intended to do the 2nd layer for every colour but only managed to do the inside of the cloaks, clothes and the armour.

pictures! click me!

Im still not to sure on the inside colour for the cloak :( i mixed tentacle pink with dheneb stone (like 90% dheneb) but the colour still came out looking quite pinkish. i dident go for the cloth look since they already got plenty of that colour going on :rolleyes:

I took pictures from various angles as im not very good at showing the results i want in 1 photo so i took 3 :D

picture 1

picture 2

picture 3

thoughts? suggestions? id be glad to hear em :)

its update time again :)

half of the progress is washes sadly but i still got some things to show :)

heres the merry bunch now :) ive painted their boots, gave every leather part a second coat and washes the clothes and the faces.

ive also gave every lens a colour. for the night vision goggles ive went for a green colour. for scopes ive done a blue colour.

im not to sure if il update tomorrow as il be visiting my brother for his birthday. but these guys are almost finished :) whats left are essentialy small details and 3rd coats for the parts that need them (armour and cloth)

the details are pretty numerous though so im not sure if i can manage them all in 1 setting :( stay tuned!

cheers m8 :tu: theyre fun to paint :P

ive painted the last layer of red and cloth on these guys. only details and the faces left to do :angry:

the merry bunch

all of the snipers

washed cloaks

cloaks side vieuw

so tommorow il finish these guys. details shouldnt take overly long (and heres me hoping i dont get to regret typing that...)

great stuff,scouts are so cool looking B) are you going to paint the markings or use decals?

nice way of getting them done,little by little so you dont get burned out!! :lol: we all know that feeling.

i'll be back tomorrow to see if your a man of his word :P

cheers, Mithril

i'll be back tomorrow to see if your a man of his word

http://memeorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Challenge-Accepted.png

ive completed my scouts, so there :P although mind when im batch painting i always save up models and do all the bases at the same time so thats the only thing that isent done. but then again ive never said id do the bases today now did i? ^_^

group shot

my fave model

the last things took me longer then i expected but it wasent such a drag as i was expecting either so all in all...er... not what i expected, but in a good way :D i took a picture of a close combat scout whos about to lash out at an enemy. it was always my favourite model from the moment i put him together and its a blast to finaly see him painted :)

finished snipers

sniper cloaks

i wasent to sure on how i should do the cloaks, but im glad with how they worked out :) really like the look on them ^_^

tomorrow I should have a game of planetstrike with a buddy of mine and in the evening my brothers birthday so (probably) no update tomorrow. up next is one of the IC's, not sure on which one... you guys have a preference for which one i should do first? :) all are assembled, but my JP liby needs his weapon fixxd...

Nice looking model there. If I cast a vote I would have gone for the Priest anyway... you can never have too many Priests on hand ;)

Those scouts are good, what do you plan on doing for their bases?

well the army wide bases have been mud based so far with small patches of grass... so i think im sticking to it :D

urban might work better for the scouts (specialy the snipers) but it would look off im afraid :(

-edit-

Ive painted about an hour-hour and a half, stopping for the day but want to show my progress ^_^

front shot try as i might, i couldnt get an accurate shot off from the front :(

right shoulder angleduring the painting i wanted to sculpt some blood drops on the grail and it broke off :( its also a very small part to GS on, and since its GS on GS im not having much luck :( so i guess il just paint it gold and leave it at that ;)

left shoulder angle showing the crux and the power sword. havent done anything on the purity seal yet but il do that tomorrow :)

GN all

update!

Completed the priest ;) i waas halfway today and i dident feel like stopping.... I went abit into the details as its an IC which sucked up alot of time (who would have thought :rolleyes:)

so after 3.5 hours i present my priest:

left shoulder vieuw

front vieuw

left shoulder - semi front angle vieuw

rear vieuw

really pleased with how he worked out :) liek the scouts hes complete barring the bases, which il do when the other projects are complete ;)

next up the tactical marines!

Looking good. I'd like to see an in-focus shot of his priesty bit in the right hand if possible :D

your wish is my command <_<

attemped close up sadly abit blurry but its the best result i could get ;)

good angle should show you how the grail looks like

like i said earlier Kardion the basing will wait till all the other units are done, as i hate basing so i can only subject myself to the basing stuff once...

oh! and here is a picture of the current state of my tacticals :)

Yay its update time again :D

Ive been struck down by father nurgle abit so my painting time has been less steady then it was a week ago, but im still working on it :D

the tactical marines have gotten their second coat of paint, next up is the blood red coat, detailing, touch ups and faces.

linky

at this stage i sometimes think "why not leave them this colour? they look just fine" but if id then put them next to the rest of my army they would look off :D

expect an update soon :)

thanks m8, its actually pretty easy to paint :lol:

its basicly mechrite red, followed by red gore and then blood red. i thin all my paints to about 1:1 paint/water but keep abit more paint in the final blood red coat. im doing it more on feeling then that im activly thinking about it but the result looks really nice :)

i also never highlight as i think blood red models dont need it :rolleyes: well that and if ii were to highlight the colour id have to step towards blazing orange or even adding skull white to that and then the edges just turn into silly colours -_-

right, enough about that ive got an update :D ive actually been working the last few days on it but only in small steps so i think its better to show the status that they have now when theyre almost done :lol:

group shot as you can (or cant? i hate my camera...) see the guys are pretty much done aside from small touch ups and details like eye lenses, scopes and purity seals.

semi close up of my 2 favorite models in the unit. the one on the left has half a bionic head which together with the newer blood angel pad looks really nice in my opinion! the one on the right has bionic hands and a new blood angel pad as well. the bionic hands just look so very iconic. i love these models :wub:

the entire gang is a mix match of about 3-4 kits for each model and the entire process of assembling them up until painting them has been a blast. theyre the last (tactical) models that my company needs and in a way that makes me sad... then again ive still got plenty of veterans left to do and ive got more kits now then ive ever had! ive kept these guys pretty basic by design, only swapping small things like bolters, heads etc. i intended them to look blood angel-ish but still keep a standard "avarage joe" look (for as far as thats possible for marines :rolleyes: )

have i been somewhat succesfull in this? oh and what colour should i paint all the blood drops? on blood red armour painting a blood coloured teardrop can look....easy to miss. ive been thinking about keeping them red gore (ive also painted around them) but only doing that colour feels to simple somehow....

before i say anything else i just noticed my topic has 700+ vieuws... wow

today was a productive day at my local GW <_<

my tactical are finished aside from bases and purity seals. i always give each squad a differnet coloured purity seal and every member (or about) belonged to a different unit so i have to find out which units those are first :confused:

but tbh they are "finished" as far as im concerned until im going to do my bases. il do the purity seals when i get around to it :ermm:

picture

next up my JP liby!

Looking really nice Demo! I especially Like the marines with the bare heads. Outta curiosity, what is your method for the blonde hair? Also really like the red that you have achieved. Cool squad you have there. Is your idea for the purity seals based on reformed units, or are the models being repainted? Hopefully it's the former cause it's a pretty cool idea.

-CC

thanks mate :) they came out suprisingly nice :D (not that i dont have confidence in my own abilities :ermm: )

i got the blonde look by painting either snakebite or bubonice brown (not sure which it was actually) over the chaos black undercoat and then drybrushing over that with bleached bone. it looks almost glow in the dark bright but at the same time its pretty obvious which hair colour they have :D

well a few of the models (the ones with bionics) were to complete a unit that still needed a few men to bring them to 10 man status. the others i just made to mix in some of the new parts in with my excisting army :huh:

like i said though ive given each squad a seperate purity seal colour (so i can hold them apart when several squads are stuck in melee) and thus i need to figure out which squad they will ultimatly belong to :)

so to anwser you question (if i understand it correctly) it would be the reformed case

LPC is momentarily on hold whilst i try to get used to this working shedule.... I get get up, go to work and am to tired to do much of anything, get to sleep and repeat :P

i did start on the honour guard who have been dry brushed with tin bitz so the following colours go on more easily....

hope to update here soon...again... with pictures :D

Archived